Saints ruck issues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints ruck issues

Saints' big problem may start at the bounce - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-24/sai ... the-bounce

The votes don't lie. Whilst Longer and Hickey can indeed play at AFL level (plus Pierce and Marshall are developing), we really have been beaten in the ruck all year. I honestly thought this was a strength on our list, but maybe not.

We need to steal a ruck from somewhere. P. Wright would go alright.

Stonecold will love this thread! :D

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints ruck issues

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 10:07pm Saints' big problem may start at the bounce - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-24/sai ... the-bounce

The votes don't lie. Whilst Longer and Hickey can indeed play at AFL level (plus Pierce and Marshall are developing), we really have been beaten in the ruck all year. I honestly thought this was a strength on our list, but maybe not.

We have 4 ruckmen on our list and none of them a worth a pinch of goat's shite, we need to find an AFL quality ruckman at seasons end. Keep some of our current ruck spuds as back up. :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 10:13pm
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 24 May 2018 10:07pm Saints' big problem may start at the bounce - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-24/sai ... the-bounce

We have 4 ruckmen on our list and none of them a worth a pinch of goat's shite, we need to find an AFL quality ruckman at seasons end. Keep some of our current ruck spuds as back up. :roll:
Where can you get one though?
A Nic Nat type only comes along every 30 years. We have to try steal one that can really play.
We need to offer big $.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
takeaway
Club Player

An in form Longer would do the job. At least he would be more competitive and aggessive in the hit outs, even win them as he quite often did last year. Possessions around the ground are secondary, but if in form should at least negate the opposing ruckman.

stonecold
SS Life Member

All I need to say is: No closing argument, the prosecution rest's it case!!!!!

Hopefully this article reaches the likes of the following posters: To The Top, Dud and all the other Rucking Forum Experts!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

#rixroxrux

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 12:00am#rixroxrux
Well, at least you responded, well sort of!!!!!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

So after a 5 year rebuild, we apparently have ruck depth (4 FFS) but no elite rucks, no elite mids and no elite forwards.

The closest we have to an elite of any description is arguably Carlisle, followed by Steven who at least looks A-grade if he can break a tag. After that, just a whole lot of B graders, a few of which can look A-grade if they either pulled their finger out or we’re better coached.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the club is in deep s**t.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Won't say told you so!!!!! But, no, hang on, just for all the Hickey Fans, check those stats against 2017, just to be sure!!!!!

Oh, Life's good, well would be, with a few wins, however need to address our ruck situation before that happens!!!!!

Happy Days, now Ruck off!!!!! :wink:

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 12:45am

Won't say told you so!!!!! But, no, hang on, just for all the Hickey Fans, check those stats against 2017, just to be sure!!!!!

Oh, Life's good, well would be, with a few wins, however need to address our ruck situation before that happens!!!!!

Happy Days, now Ruck off!!!!! :wink:
The only way to address our ruck issues at this stage is to recruit yet another ruck man, preferably a developed one.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
wally
Club Player

McEvoy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 6:01pmMcEvoy
Nah, Mick Rix.

8bloggs
Club Player

The ruck has been a problem area for a long time with our club and I can't remember us having a winning combination since Gardiner/King.
Over recent years I have become so used to us losing this position that I take it as normal, to the point where I think the club does not see it as a priority.
Our recruitment of rucks has not been good - the last one taken in the draft who made a difference that I can remember is probably Spider Everitt, we traded McEvoy out and the record of those taken from other clubs has at best been mediocre.
With the modern game rucks need to do more around the ground and this is where Longer languishes.
I have mixed feelings about Hickey - at times he seems competitive, even contributing to clearances. At other times at centre bounces he seems preoccupied on the collision with the opposition's ruck and so seems to lose track of where the ball is.
Too early to make a call on Marshall yet and Pierce hasn't played enough to know if he can handle the big time.