This can be the difference a new coach makes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: This can be the difference a new coach makes

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 6:14am https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ ... 4zj0y.html

I didn’t watch the game but read with interest re how the effect structural changes to a game plan can make a huge difference essentially with the same squad as before.

Australian soccer team appeared to be a bit like us - quite a bit of raw talent that was poorly directed/coached.

Imagine what we could do with a decent new coach next year??

Food for thought and worth bookmarking....

“Food for thought” ???? Hmmmmmmm not really (IMHO) not a particularly good comparison (IMHO) one victorious (though meaningless) friendly international does not a summer make.
The TRUE test of the “ new improved Socceroos structure” will present itself in the NEXT game (V France)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 3:14pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 2:38pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 2:45pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 10:48am
saintspremiers wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 9:58am

Sacking the coach will help, along of course with Trout and most of the assistant coaches.
Sacking someone rarely helps.

Replacing them with someone better will almost certainly help though.

Personally, I see coaching in AFL circles kind of like politics. There's a strong tendency to 'vote someone out' as opposed to 'vote someone in'. And I feel strongly that that is wrong. Obviously there are scenarios where someone is so toxic that they have to get the arse regardless of who's coming in - but generally speaking, why 'vote someone out' if you're not convinced that the incoming person is not going to be better?

Taking the emotion out of it...

Ken Sheldon
Stan Alves
Tim Watson
Malcolm Blight
Grant Thomas
Ross Lyon
Scott Watters
Alan Richardson

Realistically, only two of them would have fallen into the 'just get rid of them as anyone will be better' category - Blight and Watters. Lyon quit, and Alves was sacked because Plympton had a man crush on Tim Watson. Some would say he was 'ruthless' in that decision. He had his man, and got him. Many others say would say he was reckless.

These big 'ruthless' decisions that many Saints fans crave as an answer to our woes, very rarely pay off.

If there is a coach out there that wants to coach the Saints, that we know is better than Richardson then we should move on it. But sacking him for an unknown rookie in my opinion, is just silly. I don't think we're at the 'he just has to go because he is so toxic' stage yet.
At this stage of the rebuild, there's no need to pull the trigger, unless someone is better out there.
Disagree about Stan. He had clearly lost the players and was going through a personal hell with the death of his son.

We probably would have made the 8 in 2012 under Lyon but not sure it would have done us much good.

Agree with everything else.
There were idiots on the Board determined to sack Stan in 1995/96 because they wanted Trevor Barker. The only reason Stan Coached in 1997 was because of Barker's sad passing. Getting to the GF that year actually bred resentment for a couple of Board members. These idiots who Stan has never named and perhaps should, actually told him he was lucky we got to the GF as it saved his job. They were just waiting to pounce.

A disgraceful episode in our Club's history.
I remember reading Stan’s book: “Sacked Coach” shortly after it was published. The fact that Stan was prepared to eventually reconcile with the club, speaks volumes about him both as a coach and as a person. In my humble opinion Plympton did the club NO favours in that period, which incidentally was WAY worse than our current situation, or have people forgotten already just how low morale sank from 98-2001?
I've met Stan he's a friend of a good friend. An absolute gentleman and all class.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 8:27pm I've met Stan he's a friend of a good friend. An absolute gentleman and all class.
That was my experience too.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 3:59pm
saintspremiers wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 6:14am https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/ ... 4zj0y.html

I didn’t watch the game but read with interest re how the effect structural changes to a game plan can make a huge difference essentially with the same squad as before.

Australian soccer team appeared to be a bit like us - quite a bit of raw talent that was poorly directed/coached.

Imagine what we could do with a decent new coach next year??

Food for thought and worth bookmarking....

“Food for thought” ???? Hmmmmmmm not really (IMHO) not a particularly good comparison (IMHO) one victorious (though meaningless) friendly international does not a summer make.
The TRUE test of the “ new improved Socceroos structure” will present itself in the NEXT game (V France)
There was nothing wrong with Postecoglu, he had to bravely change things up during qualifying, because they weren't going to be competitive at a World Cup.

Australia were fine tuning for a World Cup, the Czechs were waiting to go on holiday. Despite that, they do look well drilled under van Marjiik, fit and quick. He's no slouch, he took Holland to the Final in 2010, but Jiggster is right, let's see if Australia can impose their system against France.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

next game is Hungary. And Ang did very well, but then lost himself in an unrealistic vision. Too pigheaded to realise and it almost cost us a place in the finals.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
David-Lee
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 3:26pm
David-Lee wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:32pm This is what we are reduced to....pecking feverishly over a loss and rejoicing we have morsels that prove all is not lost, we are spot on, we fought so well, got cheated by umps, if only we had another quarter ( we F@cking did...we had 3 of them), there's so much hope now, only positives from here on out....Grand Final 2022 for us baby!!!
I think we, like all clubs, are reduced to that type of thinking at various stages.

When you're rebuilding, and still at the stage of your rebuild where you are still 3-4 very good players off being decent - I think it's perfectly reasonable to see plenty of positives from last night's game. Particularly in terms of some of the young guys.

The issue I have is still being at the beginning stages of the rebuild after 5 years.
I've heard every excuse including blaming Roo and Joey. Enough!
We completely stuffed up the drafting from 2010 onwards and have sort of gotten as few good a few ok players.

There is no reason to be 5 years deep into a celebrated rebuild and be 1 win from 11 rounds. Its pathetic. There's nothing positive about it. Playing better than pathetic isnt a bonus, I'm not delighted.
We can't still be rebuilding unless we are restarting the rebuild at which juncture we must rid ourselves of the coaching staff and management especially recruiters who failed over 5 years to provide a team capable of more than 1 win.
I'm not being negative it's just real. The truth without Richos garbage lies to prop up fake membership numbers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 10:25pm
David-Lee wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 1:32pm This is what we are reduced to....pecking feverishly over a loss and rejoicing we have morsels that prove all is not lost, we are spot on, we fought so well, got cheated by umps, if only we had another quarter ( we F@cking did...we had 3 of them), there's so much hope now, only positives from here on out....Grand Final 2022 for us baby!!!
I think we, like all clubs, are reduced to that type of thinking at various stages.

When you're rebuilding, and still at the stage of your rebuild where you are still 3-4 very good players off being decent - I think it's perfectly reasonable to see plenty of positives from last night's game. Particularly in terms of some of the young guys.
Agree David
Whatever way you want to paint it, 1-11 5 years into a rebuild after the club sells Road to 2018 garbage is failure and that alone warrants change
Definition of insanity is doing same thing over and over again and expect a different result ...
We are not a club in a position to do that

The issue I have is still being at the beginning stages of the rebuild after 5 years.
We completely stuffed up the drafting from 2010 onwards and have sort of gotten as few good a few ok players.

There is no reason to be 5 years deep into a celebrated rebuild and be 1 win from 11 rounds. Its pathetic. There's nothing positive about it. Playing better than pathetic isnt a bonus, I'm not delighted.
We can't still be rebuilding unless we are restarting the rebuild at which juncture we must rid ourselves of the coaching staff and management especially recruiters who failed over 5 years to provide a team capable of more than 1 win.
I'm not being negative it's just real. The truth without Richos garbage lies to prop up fake membership numbers.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sacking the coach will help, along of course with Trout and most of the assistant coaches.

Personally, I see coaching in AFL circles kind of like politics. There's a strong tendency to 'vote someone out' as opposed to 'vote someone in'. And I feel strongly that that is wrong. Obviously there are scenarios where someone is so toxic that they have to get the arse regardless of who's coming in - but generally speaking, why 'vote someone out' if you're not convinced that the incoming person is not going to be better?

Ken Sheldon
Stan Alves
Tim Watson
Malcolm Blight
Grant Thomas
Ross Lyon
Scott Watters
Alan Richardson

Realistically, only two of them would have fallen into the 'just get rid of them as anyone will be better' category - Blight and Watters. Lyon quit, and Alves was sacked because Plympton had a man crush on Tim Watson. Some would say he was 'ruthless' in that decision. He had his man, and got him. Many others say would say he was reckless.

These big 'ruthless' decisions that many Saints fans crave as an answer to our woes, very rarely pay off.

If there is a coach out there that wants to coach the Saints, that we know is better than Richardson then we should move on it. But sacking him for an unknown rookie in my opinion, is just silly. I don't think we're at the 'he just has to go because he is so toxic' stage yet.
At this stage of the rebuild, there's no need to pull the trigger, unless someone is better out there.
Disagree about Stan. He had clearly lost the players and was going through a personal hell with the death of his son.

We probably would have made the 8 in 2012 under Lyon but not sure it would have done us much good.

There were idiots on the Board determined to sack Stan in 1995/96 because they wanted Trevor Barker. The only reason Stan Coached in 1997 was because of Barker's sad passing. Getting to the GF that year actually bred resentment for a couple of Board members. These idiots who Stan has never named and perhaps should, actually told him he was lucky we got to the GF as it saved his job. They were just waiting to pounce.

I remember reading Stan’s book: “Sacked Coach” shortly after it was published. The fact that Stan was prepared to eventually reconcile with the club, speaks volumes about him both as a coach and as a person. In my humble opinion Plympton did the club NO favours in that period, which incidentally was WAY worse than our current situation, or have people forgotten already just how low morale sank from 98-2001?
I think the answer here is between both stories...
Stan write in his book that 2 members of the board approached him after the 97 GF during the wind down drinks and stated their biggest regret was that they weren't able to sack him then and there because he made the GF.

That being said, 1998 saw us stumble into the finals after being a game clear on top at the halfway mark... we lost something like 8/10 and there was clear chaos in the playing group

chico2001
Club Player

What is the pass mark for Richardson? We have won 1.5 games and may win another couple. I believe this is his 5/6th year without a finals appearance and looks like it may be a couple of more years so that would make 8. When does it stop? why would you be happy with mediocre performance. I have never heard anyone say anything good about his coaching so far. They should be looking now for a real motivator who is not afraid to make tough decisions. I do think he wont get sacked due to financial issues the club may have which are related to AFL debt. Just my thoughts.

kalsaint
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 9:10am Only if overall player development has been good - which on the face of it, ours has not.
Having said that, I will wait to see what the second half of the season brings before I make my final opinion of the coaching team. Don't want to go early.
Remember Hawthorn and the Swans last year, and the opposite side of the spectrum, North Melbourne, in the past four years.
I don't think simply sacking the coach will have any effect on our mid to long term future at all. It goes deeper than that and starts at the top.
Yep Pres is on drugs if he thinks we have a list good enough to make top 4. That's an indictment of our club management not jus the coach.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SuperDuper
Club Player

Actually thought our game plan looked good against the Eagles

The got a couple of easy ones where it looked like we broke down, but their other easy ones were umpires gifts.. We generally defended space well, manned up when we needed to and made it hard for them to get consistent run and carry

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's pathetic.

Melbourne have taken more than 5 years.
Brisbane have.
Collingwood have too.
So have Carlton.

With two compromised drafts, it takes a long time.

I think the reality is, that clubs rebuild with recruits from other clubs.

Melbourne added Hibberd, Melksham and Lewis, and Lever this year.
Collingwood Treloar, Greenwood, Howe, Dunn and others.

Sydney do it every year.

Clearly adding Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis helped Richmond!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - we won't be decent until we have a good layer of senior players. That's what a rebuild is. It's not just getting good young players in, it's rebuilding the list.

We have seen very clearly the difference even two senior players make to us!

It'll be 18 months to 2 years until our current medium aged guys are a solid senior group. At that point, our current young guys will be a very deep and solid middle age group, and with Coffield and Clark coming through, we'll have a very good young group.
Hopefully we'll add some external talent like other clubs have, too.

Until then, we'll be pretty s***. Like all rebuilding teams are.

I'm not sure why the outrage to be honest.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

outrage is the new patience
in the Age of the Arsehole

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 9:12am outrage is the new patience
in the Age of the Arsehole
Fortius quo furorem?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol

asiu
Saintsational Legend

credit given already

saint64
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 7:34am

I don't think it's pathetic.

Melbourne have taken more than 5 years.
Brisbane have.
Collingwood have too.
So have Carlton.

With two compromised drafts, it takes a long time.

I think the reality is, that clubs rebuild with recruits from other clubs.

Melbourne added Hibberd, Melksham and Lewis, and Lever this year.
Collingwood Treloar, Greenwood, Howe, Dunn and others.

Sydney do it every year.

Clearly adding Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis helped Richmond!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - we won't be decent until we have a good layer of senior players. That's what a rebuild is. It's not just getting good young players in, it's rebuilding the list.

We have seen very clearly the difference even two senior players make to us!

It'll be 18 months to 2 years until our current medium aged guys are a solid senior group. At that point, our current young guys will be a very deep and solid middle age group, and with Coffield and Clark coming through, we'll have a very good young group.
Hopefully we'll add some external talent like other clubs have, too.

Until then, we'll be pretty s***. Like all rebuilding teams are.

I'm not sure why the outrage to be honest.
Outrage is putting it a bit strong, but the frustration is because we long time supporters have seen it all before. We love the club, but it lets us down far more than it rewards us. Many of us naively bought into the idea sold to us by the club hierarchy that we would be a top 4 team this year. How silly were we?! The really successful clubs don’t seem to have to go through all this 5 or 10 year rebuild stuff that we seem to have to.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 9:52am
Outrage is putting it a bit strong, but the frustration and disillusionment is because we long time supporters have seen and heard it all before from a club that we love but that lets us down far more than it rewards us. Many of us naively bought in to this idea sold to us by our club that we would be a top 4 team this year. The really successful clubs don’t seem to have to go through 5 or 10 year rebuilds (or whatever the magic number is) like we seem to have to.

I don't know whether the club was straight out bullshitting, or simply got it wrong - but the 'top 4 by 2018' thing was never going to happen.

I've even bumped many threads that called this out way back in the pre-season last year.

All clubs are full of s***. They're not 'your' club - they're a business. Their business model revolves around entertainment, and hope. Frankly, if you don't know that by now - you only have yourself to blame.

So personally, I'd straight out ignore the people at the club and rubbish they speak. It's all about selling you hope, and entertaining you. If the team is playing well, it'll be entertainment they focus on. When they're struggling, it'll be hope they turn their attention to.

That's not just the Saints either. That's modern sport, it is what it is.

I must admit, 'celebrating' a 13 point loss is a bit over the top - as much as the meltdowns about the team's current ability is over the top.

Some perspective is really all that is required. Somewhere in between the outrage about how s*** we are, and how awesome a 13 point loss was is probably the correct stance on our current plight.

We played in a Grand Final only 8 years ago. We played finals in 1992, then 1997 and 1998. We then made it back to the finals in 2004, and only missed twice since then up until 2012 (both misses we finished 9th). We've been Grand Finalists 3 times in 20 years.

I think the 'woe is us' thing about the Saints is grossly overstated. St Kilda was a very poor VFL club, but has been a pretty decent AFL club really.

So I don't know about this 'the successful clubs' don't have to go through 5-10 year rebuilds like us thing. Unless you poach stars from other clubs, all clubs that were starting their builds during the 'compromised draft' period have taken time.

It just is what it is.

spert
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 11:06pm

Ken Sheldon
Stan Alves
Tim Watson
Malcolm Blight
Grant Thomas
Ross Lyon
Scott Watters
Alan Richardson

I think the answer here is between both stories...
Stan write in his book that 2 members of the board approached him after the 97 GF during the wind down drinks and stated their biggest regret was that they weren't able to sack him then and there because he made the GF.

That being said, 1998 saw us stumble into the finals after being a game clear on top at the halfway mark... we lost something like 8/10 and there was clear chaos in the playing group
Stan was a victim of the tail wagging the dog, same as Watters and who knows else- a club too scared to tell their big names to pull their heads in and get behind the coach. That's why we had periods of failure as a result.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I take a different approach to St Kilda's coaching issues - I do not believe that Richo is the problem. The real focus must be on our Director of Coaching, Danny Sexton, the one who wields most influence over every aspect of coaching, including senior coach Richardson.

Sexton sits alongside Richardson in the coaches box and accompanies him when he coaches from the interchange bench.

Sexton has full charge and control of all the assistant coaches, as well as player development and fitness coaches - that is his primary role as DOC.

Sexton has been at St Kilda since 2006 and in that time has been able to entrench himself into occupying the most powerful position in the Football department - that is 12 years.

Even Simon Lethlean, appointed St Kilda's "General Manager - Football" at the start of season 2018, has more than likely had to defer to Sexton, given his vast experience at the club over 12 years.

In any corporation senior executives are measured on their success. I would argue that St Kilda's demise this season, following on a disappointing 2017, should be sheeted home to the DOC, and after 12 years, there is no doubt in my mind he should be moved on. I'm amazed that in all of the scrutiny by the media on St Kilda's failure in 2018, no mention is being made of the DOC - at the very least I would expect the Board to start raising this question, as I'm sure this could well save Richo's skin!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

chico2001 wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 1:29am What is the pass mark for Richardson? We have won 1.5 games and may win another couple. I believe this is his 5/6th year without a finals appearance and looks like it may be a couple of more years so that would make 8. When does it stop? why would you be happy with mediocre performance. I have never heard anyone say anything good about his coaching so far. They should be looking now for a real motivator who is not afraid to make tough decisions. I do think he wont get sacked due to financial issues the club may have which are related to AFL debt. Just my thoughts.
How we finish the season and by that I don't mean the last 2 or 3 games. It doesn't necessarily strictly mean win/loss either, more how we play, however if we play good footy win/loss should look after itself.

Two weeks ago I came to the view that Richo was done, that it wasn't a matter of 'if' rather than 'when'. We had Richmond, WCE and Sydney coming up, all potential Coach killers. We got through Richmond and WCE with decent competitive performances under the duress of injuries. Last week was the best footy we've played for a long while. If we play like we did last week, we're a good shot against Sydney who are not in great form. We could then start winning games. Richo isn't down yet and could yet save himself.

chico2001
Club Player

If you keep accepting poor performance that is what you end up with all the time....The standard you accept is the standard you get. These people running the club dont appear to have any KPI's apart from bullshitting members and employing as many people as they can in the corporate unit. Dont worry about how well they play, this club has to win games and that is what all personnels' performance is based on. They can play like s*** but still win. Cant find one person in all the posts who is going to pick out a number of wins for the coach to hang his hat on. Winning is everything in this business, one flag in 120 years is total rubbish.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 1:42pm If you keep accepting poor performance that is what you end up with all the time....The standard you accept is the standard you get. These people running the club dont appear to have any KPI's apart from bullshitting members and employing as many people as they can in the corporate unit.
I'd dare say that that is precisely what their jobs are. Like all sporting clubs.

Out of curiosity....what does accepting poor performance actually mean? I always find this an unusual concept from sports fans.

Does that mean that they pretend it never happened and deny it? Does it mean that they get angry on sports forums and ring talkback radio about it? Does it mean that they start wearing face paint and rock up earlier to games and cheer louder? Or does it man that they stop buying memberships and watching?

And lastly, which of these do fans that don't accept poor performance will change anything?

To be hones,t I kind of see the concept of sports fans puffing out their chests and declaring that they 'refuse to accept mediocrity' etc. as similar to people who get worked up about the weather. It's a pretty futile cause really.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 3:44am
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 02 Jun 2018 9:10am Only if overall player development has been good - which on the face of it, ours has not.
Having said that, I will wait to see what the second half of the season brings before I make my final opinion of the coaching team. Don't want to go early.
Remember Hawthorn and the Swans last year, and the opposite side of the spectrum, North Melbourne, in the past four years.
I don't think simply sacking the coach will have any effect on our mid to long term future at all. It goes deeper than that and starts at the top.
Yep Pres is on drugs if he thinks we have a list good enough to make top 4. That's an indictment of our club management not jus the coach.
Not this president.

chico2001
Club Player

So its official then, it is a rebuild is that what I am hearing here? Never heard the word for the last 5 years to describe the St Kilda strategy. That would mean 12 other clubs are rebuilding too because they are short 3-4 very good players. Adelaide in 2017 were "very" decent and they have/had a dozen very good players. Using that theory, we currently have 6-7 very good players. I hope decent doesn't mean 9th in our case.

Maybe our very good players are overrated and would be classed as "good ordinary" players, to quote a legend.