25-11 "The Noise Of Affirmation" Raise this with Gill Richo.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: 25-11 "The Noise Of Affirmation" Raise this with Gill Richo.

The same crap biased refereeing happens in NBL basketball. Teams that play against the Perth Wildcats get blown off the court. It's so bloody obvious it's obscene but they fill the stadium week after week. Money talks and bulls*** walks. It totally sucks.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It looks like Darren Parkin may have read this thread as Terry Wallace just quoted this thread title and read out our last 4 years of free kick statistics against WCE in Perth, quoting Darren.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 04 Jun 2018 6:52pm It looks like Darren Parkin may have read this thread as Terry Wallace just quoted this thread title and read out our last 4 years of free kick statistics against WCE in Perth, quoting Darren.

Good, no great.

Don't know if anything will change though.

I guess we will just have to keep chipping away until they do.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Richo brought it up on 360
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-36 ... 67870a8168
“I coached from the bench on the weekend and there was one stage — and I don’t get caught up on the umpires — but my skipper (Jarryn Geary) who was injured (did),” Richardson said.

“I got really frustrated on the weekend and it’s the non-calls. That’s the point I’m trying to make about this ‘noise’, the influence it has on the umpires.
He also mentions that Simon Lethlean is looking for feedback from the umps after this week because of the imbalance

CarlD
Club Player

Was also raised later by Jonathan Brown (On the Couch) as well. Surprisingly Gerard Healy's reaction was that the AFL had bigger things to worry about.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The noise of affirmation was quoted by both 360 and "On the Couch" ( Brown) . Brown had a printed tally sheet which was displayed on screen.

I think all the experts were shocked to say the least.

One of the shows had the free kick count at 95 to 39, the other 96 to 39.

Scott, the Geelong coach was stunned.

I think someone has been reading Saintsational boys,
Last edited by saynta on Tue 05 Jun 2018 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 10:37am Was also raised later by Jonathan Brown (On the Couch) as well. Surprisingly Gerard Healy's reaction was that the AFL had bigger things to worry about.
Yeah they do they have to work out how they can get GWS into the finals without tipping Collingwood out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Fee kick count last 5 years for and against Eagles v Saints on their own patch of dirt.

24 to 6
24 to 13
23 to 8
22 to 11
25 to 11
-----------
118 to 49

Quoting the figures given by yipper earlier in this thread, I think the eagles really have been 20 frees better off, and the saints situation so much more in the red.

Although the figures quoted on the tellie were only for 4 years not 5.

flack
Club Player

A lot has been said about biased umpiring and it looks as though we are rolling over again. I'd just ask if we could get a clear definition of a sling tackle because clearly Nic Nat has a different concept to everybody else and the umpires appear to agree with his version. If the player can stand up after it doesn't count. The in the back not paid to Gresham cost us six points and in review there were several other decisions which cost us points regardless of the inaccuracy of some aspects of our game. Remember last year when the umpiring issue was raised and the AFL put the same three umpires onto our next game, the frees ended up out way. That's a level playing field according to the AFL. The SHOW must go on - don't worry about a sporting competition.

flack
Club Player

A lot has been said about biased umpiring and it looks as though we are rolling over again. I'd just ask if we could get a clear definition of a sling tackle because clearly Nic Nat has a different concept to everybody else and the umpires appear to agree with his version. If the player can stand up after it doesn't count. The in the back not paid to Gresham cost us six points and in review there were several other decisions which cost us points regardless of the inaccuracy of some aspects of our game. Remember last year when the umpiring issue was raised and the AFL put the same three umpires onto our next game, the frees ended up out way. That's a level playing field according to the AFL. The SHOW must go on - don't worry about a sporting competition.

flack
Club Player

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Can you imagine Eddie Everywhere's reaction if his colliwobbles were on the wrong end of a similar free kick count.

He would be screaming the house down and calling for wholesale sacking from the umpire fraternity and AFL house.

You could see Richo last night was uncomfortable with the subject being brought up and was still prepared to praise the maggots. No surprises there, but ffs Saints, grow some balls.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Well done by Richo on 360 for addressing this.
Even the unbiased observer could see we got drew the short straw on Saturday night.

I liked how Richo phrased the topic and removed the emotion, used Geary as the protagonist and was even clever enough to cite the noise factor as influencing the umpiring.

Will be very interesting when we next visit the Eagles in Perth.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I think we will get well and truly reamed as a result.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shrodes
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 2:44pm You could see Richo last night was uncomfortable with the subject being brought up and was still prepared to praise the maggots. No surprises there, but ffs Saints, grow some balls.
Probably because the AFL fines players/coaches for speaking up against organisational issues. It's not really surprising he would be cagey in a public forum, particularly when Lethlean is going the private route and asking the question through the correct channels.

With that said, I'm glad it was brought up on 360 at least.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 3:38pm
saynta wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 2:44pm You could see Richo last night was uncomfortable with the subject being brought up and was still prepared to praise the maggots. No surprises there, but ffs Saints, grow some balls.
Probably because the AFL fines players/coaches for speaking up against organisational issues. It's not really surprising he would be cagey in a public forum, particularly when Lethlean is going the private route and asking the question through the correct channels.

With that said, I'm glad it was brought up on 360 at least.
Yep, I understand all of that and agree with you.

Glad the imbalance has been brought out into the open.

I had a fair bit to do with umpires for a number of years while sitting on a tribunal.

I can tell you that most of them have huge ego's and like teachers with their students, or at least when I went to school, don't like having their decisions questioned.

It can back fire on us and see us royally reamed.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

do what hird did - publicly name the worst one. the. the afl and media will create a big hoopla over it. we'll volunteer for median and end with a press conference praising the process and apologizing to the ump. the umps will then look after us.
or not?
it worked for essendon. and no ump will want to be named in future and have to go through tne same process and public humiliation.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
resaintlee
Club Player

It was suggested earlier that the AFL have more to worry about than our free kicks. I beg to differ, I think they should be very worried about the umpiring. As this conversation has progressed the idea that umpires may take it out on us if we raise concerns just emphasizes how open to interpretation the rules are. It could be easily claimed their decisions cost us the game against West Coast, all they needed to do was not pay so many frees to them. (or more to us)
My concern, and one I think the AFL should also be concerned about, is that there is no money changing hands as happens in cricket, tennis and other sports. In our game it would be so much easier as the players can be left right out of any goings on. I'm talking betting on smaller outcomes in a game. (Saints to kick 5 plus in the last.) Perhaps just one umpire could make the difference. Could this be why they are trialing a fourth umpire soon?
Whatever the case is, the AFL and others in denial need to be sure rather than sit back and say it couldn't happen in our game. Which I'd like to think it's not.

chico2001
Club Player

About time the umpires were called out for their woeful decision making. Absolute joke.......Cant work out why they are so protected especially when we call players soft , weak etc

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 5:56pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 5:53pm
saynta wrote: Sun 03 Jun 2018 4:07pm And here's me thinking that you had your "maggot love glasses"on when watching saints games. :wink:
No mate. I just don’t buy the notion that they’re deliberately out to get us, or anyone for that matter.
Just between you and me though, like keep it a secret, the filthy maggots are corrupt. They cheat and I wouldn't be surprised if they bet on AFL results. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I am friends with the father of one and he tells me he is trying to ween his son off his gambling habit' A habit I'm told he shares with his mates. I didn't ask if his mates were

also umpires.

To tell you the truth, I don't know why they repeatedly screw us over year after year, no matter if we are the best team, or the worst., all I know is that they do.

The statistics only serve to prove it.
Don’t doubt there’s the possibility for individuals to act corruptly. Don’t reckon there’s any organised conspiracy.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Watched a selection of the affirmation umpiring decisions/non decision on AFL360 with mixed emotions. Felt vindication that it was clear biased/poor/weak umpiring but cross that it was treated as a fact of life to accept, giggle smirk. I am going to suggest to Steve the Operations man that at Perth a bunker arrangement is set up like the NRL or cricket review system but be located in Moorabbin, say Linton St. and staffed by independent umpires (yes I don't where they would come from either, nevertheless..)Saints players get 15 decision reviews which is about the bias number. Game might take longer but there is a 2 hour time difference anyway. Umpires that have decisions overturned are paintballed to keep individual records and help satisfy the western blood lust.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 10:46pm Watched a selection of the affirmation umpiring decisions/non decision on AFL360 with mixed emotions. Felt vindication that it was clear biased/poor/weak umpiring but cross that it was treated as a fact of life to accept, giggle smirk. I am going to suggest to Steve the Operations man that at Perth a bunker arrangement is set up like the NRL or cricket review system but be located in Moorabbin, say Linton St. and staffed by independent umpires (yes I don't where they would come from either, nevertheless..)Saints players get 15 decision reviews which is about the bias number. Game might take longer but there is a 2 hour time difference anyway. Umpires that have decisions overturned are paintballed to keep individual records and help satisfy the western blood lust.
As Richo said "“I got really frustrated on the weekend and it’s the non-calls. That’s the point I’m trying to make about this ‘noise’, the influence it has on the umpires."

Someone posted the video of the 360 segment on the free kick saga yesterday. I don't know how to do it, but someone should post the video of the non free kicks not paid to the saints in last nights show.

It was truly revealing and highlighted what many on here have been saying along with our coach.

resaintlee
Club Player

Hocking, in his latest statement, is wrong to say they will only look at trends in umpiring decisions because, if it is vindictiveness on behalf of umpires it may show as a trend but, if it is corruption it most likely won't.