Would you back me?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Re: Would you back me?

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am I’m 32 - work in an accounting firm as a Senior Manager.

I am not rich, I dont drive a flashy car, and I’m just an everyday bloke who grew up in Lalor.

I dont have any great connections, but I do have contact with the family owners of one of our major sponsors.

I’d have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club.

Never been more passionate however about the St.Kilda and I’d make sure we as supporters are heard in the media and at the AFL like never before.

I’ve bawled my eyes out for this club. Danced on seats when we’ve won....

All I want is someone passionate to stand for the things all of our supporters do- the thing we have in common... which is the drug that is the Saints.

I want to see 80 year old grannies crying when we win a GF. I want to see my 58 year old Dad who was too young for 66 to do the same.

Only thing is; I havent been a member out of principal against this shocking regime, which i think many would hold against me.

But would you vote for someone like me if we had a chance?

I’ve never been more serious in all my life....
No I wouldn't, I wouldn't back anyone who doesn't make a financial commitment to the club out of "principal". You either love the club and buy a membership or shut up, you have lost the right to have any say in it

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:43pm Rodger,

As for my last paragraph- do tell, what is ignorant about it?

So please do tell me the problem....
https://www2.deloitte.com/au/en/pages/h ... rship.html#
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I’d expect a review to help seek clarity as to who is the cause and who is the solution. But there needs to be an interim.

So you sack a bloke, and put another in charge without knowing who the cause is?

ss1986
Club Player

Thanks so much Jaxons!

ss1986
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:49pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am I’m 32 - work in an accounting firm as a Senior Manager.

I am not rich, I dont drive a flashy car, and I’m just an everyday bloke who grew up in Lalor.

I dont have any great connections, but I do have contact with the family owners of one of our major sponsors.

I’d have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club.

Never been more passionate however about the St.Kilda and I’d make sure we as supporters are heard in the media and at the AFL like never before.

All I want is someone passionate to stand for the things all of our supporters do- the thing we have in common... which is the drug that is the Saints.

I want to see 80 year old grannies crying when we win a GF. I want to see my 58 year old Dad who was too young for 66 to do the same.

Only thing is; I havent been a member out of principal against this shocking regime, which i think many would hold against me.

No I wouldn't, I wouldn't back anyone who doesn't make a financial commitment to the club out of "principal". You either love the club and buy a membership or shut up, you have lost the right to have any say in it
I assure you the current board wouldnt have been paid up members prior to getting their jobs

ss1986
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:49pm

I assure you the current board wouldnt have been paid up members prior to getting their jobs

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:06pm

I’d expect a review to help seek clarity as to who is the cause and who is the solution. But there needs to be an interim.

So you sack a bloke, and put another in charge without knowing who the cause is?
Irrespective of assistant coach performances, Richardson has not shown enough to keep his job

loris
Saintsational Legend

This all sounds a bit like a Donald Trump approachto me, excite the plebs via social media.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Good post.

I find the membership issue that people have raised to be a bit of beat up considering you have clearly outlined that you were a member and have consciously withheld as a means of protest to the current board.
The issue is commitment and a view to object for the purpose of promoting change regardless of whether you agree with it or not is not a view that implies/demonstrates lack of commitment.

So really, that argument should be dismissed and people need to get over it.

Quite frankly if we could get an amazing board member who is overqualified, wants to excel, can deliver on a sound strategic plan but doesn’t really give 2 rats about the Saints, I would take that over a Saints man who can’t do the job.

Here’s my question though... and it’s an important one that may not have yet been asked... it’s a nice plan but can you actually deliver on the steps that you’ve outlined?

Approach Lenny Hayes, sack Richo, use Kingsley, find someone better than Trout etc etc
These are great ideas but what are the steps/plans you have in place to ensure you can achieve these things.

Now obviously that is a big question and pbly
- can’t freely be discussed on a forum
- is too big for you to answer here right away

So for me... it’s a simple question. How can you prove to me that you’re capable of delivering what you say you will.

And on a side note...
any thoughts of the Sandringham alliance?

ss1986
Club Player

Unlike Trump, I’m in it for the good of the club.

Just dont know how to go about it formally and how a ‘pleb’ would be received.

With mixed emotions it seems... but I dont proclaim to have every answer.

Would refine the rougher parts of the strategy. This is just a start. Buy-in from everyone is the way forward!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Where is our Peggy O'Neal. And who was that lady next to the current President last night.

I find it difficult to believe that Nick, Joey, Lenny, Harvs, Nicky Dal, Stuey, Bakes, Blakey, Andrew Thompson, Burkey and GT et al et al either individually or in some grouping will allow the current trajectory to keep on. Perhaps what is needed is for the AFL to indemnify any new regime and promise to be hands off. The handling of the Essendon affair ended so badly micro management just isn't the AFL's go. AFL has a few agenda items - Failure of Queensland teams, Level of ongoing support for GWS, Congestion of play, uneven competition despite that being a prime principle. Giving the Saints some clear air and guaranteed competition status might help some step up as well as contribute to solving a few of the other issues.

ss1986
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:26pm Good post.

I find the membership issue that people have raised to be a bit of beat up considering you have clearly outlined that you were a member and have consciously withheld as a means of protest to the current board.
The issue is commitment and a view to object for the purpose of promoting change regardless of whether you agree with it or not is not a view that implies/demonstrates lack of commitment.

So really, that argument should be dismissed and people need to get over it.

Quite frankly if we could get an amazing board member who is overqualified, wants to excel, can deliver on a sound strategic plan but doesn’t really give 2 rats about the Saints, I would take that over a Saints man who can’t do the job.

Here’s my question though... and it’s an important one that may not have yet been asked... it’s a nice plan but can you actually deliver on the steps that you’ve outlined?

Approach Lenny Hayes, sack Richo, use Kingsley, find someone better than Trout etc etc
These are great ideas but what are the steps/plans you have in place to ensure you can achieve these things.

Now obviously that is a big question and pbly
- can’t freely be discussed on a forum
- is too big for you to answer here right away

So for me... it’s a simple question. How can you prove to me that you’re capable of delivering what you say you will.

And on a side note...
any thoughts of the Sandringham alliance?
So much in that, and given me lots to think about.

I do have means of access to someone like Leigh Montagna and Paul Roos.... (i.e. people that could put me in touch with them relatively easily).

But they don’t know me, and herein lies the problem. Getting footy people onside to help facilitate the rise of a non-inner sanctum person is nigh on impossible.

Hence why I am on here. Seeking some ideas about the how.

I am fairly confident on executing a wide ranging proposal to address all your issues - which I acknowledge is an absolute must.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:26pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm
bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:21pm Ok well..

What exactly do you bring to the table?
What plan do you have?
What is the strategic financial plan that you have that will get us out of the red in say the next five years?
How will you increase membership?
How will you review the football departments and employees?
How will this all be financed?

What makes you better than the current batch of well funded AFL sycophants?
You were the first to provide me with feedback in my May post called 'Pleb's Presidential Plan to 2020' bigred.

But I re-post it here below.

I was given some strong feedback re: Pride Game and AFLW which I would revisit, but the other thoughts I have outlined are the basics of my plan. If it got serious, of course I would outline each of those plans in far greater details.

My key is; it all needs to be done on a shoe-string. I'd love to say "Get Al Clarkson for 7 years on A$10m"; but the sad reality is, that isn't going to happen. Trying to be a realist, and incrementally but steadily get this club back to where it belongs.

1. Relieve Alan Richardson of his present role.

We would pay him out for the duration of his existing contract (that should NEVER have been signed).

2. Install Adam Kingsley as full time coach until the end of Alan’s existing contract.

Net spend in this instance would therefore be zero, but-for the employment of an Assistant Coach at year’s end. THIS IS AN INTERIM MEASURE ONLY

3. At year end, seek the services of Lenny Hayes as Adam’s assistant.

Based on years of experience, reputation in the industry and experience with the current playing group, Adam gets the nod for me in the ‘proving period’ to the end of 2020. Lenny would bring his experience at GWS, and reinvigorate the supporter base. If Adam doesn’t work out by the end of 2020 (a tough gig), Lenny could be considered for the role.

4. Relieve Tony Elshaug of his role with immediate effect.

Recruitment/trade leader to be sought, under the instruction that the best players be sought and the best prices. All players are tradeable during the period, not a single player is off limits. We must become competitive in the immediate term through aggressive Moneyball-style trading; with a view to Free Agency kicking us on post-2020. This is an immediate priority – getting back to winning; whether we are in contention or not in the medium term. We MUST capture the supporter base back.

5. Employ the services of a full time sports psychologist to iron out these mental kinks in the current playing group.

6. Commission a top-to-tail review of the football department by a professional services firm.

This all encompassing review would be with a view to rejigging the current structure after 2020. No significant change could be done prior to then based on our financials. I would also employ the services of Leigh Matthews, Paul Roos or someone else well credentialed to oversee this process and report back to the Board.

7. Seek alignment with the City Group (or likewise).

This one is a bit ‘out-there’, but we must at least examine the possibility of external and significant investment. St.Kilda FC remains the biggest sporting challenge (my understanding is, the least successful sporting franchise based on titles won out of years in existence in the top flight). What a sporting story to be told. The marketing alone would be potentially enormous; and leveraging the likes of Eric Bana, Shane Warne and Molly Meldrum could be used in this capacity somehow to give the City Group a profile in the Entertainment, Sport and Music industry. I haven’t thought through this point enough to work out how we would demonstrate value sufficient for their investment, but at least a minimal $ injection would open up doors to premium facilities, tactical alignment and quality business practices.

8. Improve the match day experience.

On the soccer theme for a moment; increase member engagement through a cheer squad leader and series of chant-leading individuals across the wings at Etihad. IMAGINE ‘Oh when the Saints’ being sung in a long drawn out manner on GF day. Brings goosebumps thinking about it. A Liverpool-style YNWA, prior to the match would be intimidating and awe inspiring. We need to become more vocal, and remove the current childish atmosphere. Yes it is kid friendly, but it does nothing for the main target market who are clearly disenchanted with the sanitised football atmosphere. This kind of active section could be branded the 'Devils' or 'Sinners'.

9. Ticket-price scaling and increased membership option variety.

These clubs like Hawthorn and Richmond have so many members because dogs and 3 match memberships are included in the reporting. Start to portray St.Kilda as a BIG powerhouse through the discretionary membership reporting mechanisms. Inspire a big profile by talking like a big club.

10. To that end, develop Moorabbin with a view to being a boutique home so we can beat up on interstaters, Melbourne and North Melbourne at Moorabbin. If this could become a fortress; then we should be close to Top Four every year.

11. Increase fan participation in the running of the club through active feedback forums.

Run a session once a month or two at Moorabbin, to allow supporters to voice their opinions. At the moment, the supporter base has no voice and isn’t being heard.

12. Be a very VISIBLE president.

Do more media engagements including radio and TV; stand up for our club to the AFL as necessary, including opinions on umpiring/MRP, and ensure we aren’t walked all over like we always are. Our current invisibility and silence is deafening.

13. Finally – remove any affiliation with political, environmental or social issues.

This is a big one and some may disagree. But I would remove the Pride Game affiliation, and any other non-AFL driven recognition games. Sorry, but we are a football club, and our supporter base covers a broad church whether we like it or not. AFLW is already somewhat standalone with the ‘Southern Saints’ name, but the marketing on the St.Kilda Football Club website/facebook etc. would be limited to the Mens football team. A distinction would be drawn.

If you follow St.Kilda FC in the Red, White and Black, it is the male men’s football team. We would also not set the Board based on quotas or otherwise. KPIs would be set as part of the wide ranging review, and the structure of our football club would be based on a meritocracy. Companies such as Deloitte have already blown through the Diversity phase, and realised that that approach has failures systemic to it, and meritocracy, whether you are male, female, LGBTIQ or otherwise is the sole basis for promotions. If one day the best AFL coach proves to be a woman, then she will be the football coach of the St.Kilda FC. Until then, if it is 100% male; then so it is.
Can I ask why you think Adam Kingsley is the solution, as opposed to the cause?

And as for your final paragraph, what a load of ignorant s***.
Agree on both Points RF...

Not sure if I’m right on this but Kingsley would have to be the least successful longest serving assistant just about ever...

And despite being straight, the pride round has been the most proud I’ve been of the club in years.

So based on the above SS answer is ‘no’.

ss1986
Club Player

Fully respect your opinions

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:17pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:06pm

Irrespective of assistant coach performances, Richardson has not shown enough to keep his job
Do you know what Kinglsey role is? And again, why would he be given the reigns?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

do u have any connection personally or via 'your' people with
Shostack , Sali , Tascone , Swisse or Chemist Warehouse

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am

Can you elaborate on this?

Having been at a 'big 4' firm for 12 years, and seen first hand that even printing your child's birthday invitations during office hours on work paper is frowned upon - I struggle to comprehend WTF you're talking about when you say that you'd "have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club".

Are you saying that as a mere senior manager, a firm would support you and offer their services to the club?
Last edited by rodgerfox on Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

ss1986
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:29pm do u have any connection personally or via 'your' people with
No- but the nature of my role means I deal with CFOs and family owners of multinationals on a daily basis.

That’s not bluster- just a fact and something we could potentially use to our advantage.

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:31pm

Having been at a 'big 4' firm for 12 years, and seen first hand that even printing your child's birthday invitations during office hours on work paper would is frowned upon - I struggle to comprehend WTF you're talking about when you say that you'd "have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club".

Are you saying that as a mere senior manager, a firm would support you and offer their services to the club?
I would think that if it were seen to be a good marketing opportunity for the firm Rodger, that they would be fully supportive of the concept. That is all.

I don’t know that for a fact, however there has historically been a desire to be involved in work involving sporting organisations.

I think I’ve been pretty fair in keeping a level head answering your questions - not sure why you feel the need to be so aggressive?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:42pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:31pm

Having been at a 'big 4' firm for 12 years, and seen first hand that even printing your child's birthday invitations during office hours on work paper would is frowned upon - I struggle to comprehend WTF you're talking about when you say that you'd "have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club".

I would think that if it were seen to be a good marketing opportunity for the firm Rodger, that they would be fully supportive of the concept. That is all.

I don’t know that for a fact, however there has historically been a desire to be involved in work involving sporting organisations.

I think I’ve been pretty fair in keeping a level head answering your questions - not sure why you feel the need to be so aggressive?
I'm not aggressive at all.

But if you think I'm aggressive, just wait until you front up to the 'boys club' AFL media with the stuff you've brought to the table here!

ss1986
Club Player

Happy to be challenged on my thinking.

It’s clear to me that there would be plenty of consternation and hurdles that are probably insurmountable for a ‘mere pleb’... but at least there is a desire for an alternative option to the current crew.

That’s all I’m taking out of this.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:42pm

What would they offer exactly?

You know a PwC partner is on the board yeah?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:49pm Happy to be challenged on my thinking.

It’s clear to me that there would be plenty of consternation and hurdles that are probably insurmountable for a ‘mere pleb’... but at least there is a desire for an alternative option to the current crew.

FWIW, I don't think you even know what the problem is - let alone how to fix it.

And therein lies the problem with your pitch.

jaxons
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:29pm do u have any connection personally or via 'your' people with
Just to be clear only one of those names you mentioned is a Saints fan as the others are involved or passionate about other clubs.

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:51pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:49pm Happy to be challenged on my thinking.

FWIW, I don't think you even know what the problem is - let alone how to fix it.

And therein lies the problem with your pitch.
I can tell you the problem Rodger.

We are being run into the ground by a Board that are mere puppets for the AFL because we are financially stuffed.

We’ve now lost our soul, are completely rudderless, and it is now costing us our long serving, long suffering fans’ attention and willingness to spend dollars.

Our football is disgraceful, and we stand for nothing of substance.

We will lose clout with the media, sponsors and members.

It’s a dangerous death spiral we are on.

THAT is the problem. And installing passionate St.Kilda people to represent and re-engage the fans is the ONLY way out of this.

That good enough for you?

Please do let me know if I’ve missed the point....