Its Time for the current Board/Management and Coach to Go!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Its Time for the current Board/Management and Coach to Go!

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 3:20pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 3:03pm
saintspremiers wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 10:01am Lethlean IS reviewing our footy department.

There WILL be changes.

I know this for a fact - so WHY can’t Summers in his public utterances say something along those lines?

He doesn’t need to give full details, just something so the average Saints punter has confidence there will be some changes.

The board aren’t silly enough to know there aren’t challengers in the wings. They know the fans are pissed off. Communication IS the issue here I suspect.
Please tell me they are actually apprasing where the issues are and when they've done that plan to make the necessary changes. Please tell me they're not just throwing their arms in the air and just copying Richmond and Essendon by sacrificing Assistants.
Yep I think it’s a proper and measured review process.
We’ll see
IF they find a way to concoct that Richo stays, a few Assistants go and Elshaug stays head of recruitment then we’ve had a number done on ya by another AFL bumbling exec getting mates rates

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:33am
congorozides wrote: Sun 20 May 2018 6:01pm The OP got me thinking.

I am starting to think our malaise started with the school girl and the dwarf burning incident.

Now I dont want to re-hash these two things in any detail. The details are not important. Both were over-blown by the media.

The relevant issue is they were used by our enemies/rivals to drag us down, to humiliate us and make us lose confidence and any swagger we once had. And it worked. Whether we did anything wrong is now completely irrelevant.

The impact was on perceptions. We went in to our shell. Became concerned with protecting the AFL brand.

We are now nothing more that a fixture item for the AFL. The AFL sent in its own people - Finnis, Bains etc - to keep us under the close control and watch of the AFL. We hired bland ordinary average recruiters and coaches. Recruited ordinary supposedly 'safe' players. This was the beginning of our bland 'vanillarisation'. The beginning of the downward spiral.

We need a big BOOM event to snap out of this.
I think the AFL own us.

We are not in a position to rebel.

Agree.
The only way for us to escape the AFL control is for someone with big money to come along.
And im not sure that people with big money are crazy enough to take the Saints on.
A catch-22.

jaxons
Club Player

Clearly people look at Saintsational to get their information:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... t-55840465

jaxons
Club Player

Things are heating up.
Change will be coming.
Some powerful, passionate and smart people that can really get things done are circling in numbers.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm all aboard with jaxons

stonecold
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:26pm Things are heating up.
Change will be coming.
Some powerful, passionate and smart people that can really get things done are circling in numbers.
Yes, as Purple reported earlier, as I stated in another thread, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Richo is gone by this Thursday!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
jaxons
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:33pm
Change will be coming.
Yes, as Purple reported earlier, as I stated in another thread, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Richo is gone by this Thursday!!!!!
Not sure it will be that early.
I would suggest there are other dominos that need to fall prior to this taking place.
The current Board and CEO extended his contract last year until 2020, I would suggest those responsible would have to moved on first before the coach goes not long after.

stonecold
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:35pm
stonecold wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:33pm
Change will be coming.
Not sure it will be that early.
I would suggest there are other dominos that need to fall prior to this taking place.
The current Board and CEO extended his contract last year until 2020, I would suggest those responsible would have to moved on first before the coach goes not long after.
Yeah, probably right, however if those guys have got any brains, the smart way to keep their jobs for a little longer (mates with AFL highflyers) is to push Richo first!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Saintly, how about we don't think of it as a sacking, just embracing improved technology. <richo> v1.0 was ok as a first response lifebuoy. Now we need a row boat and some people with oars and a compass. Steam power was ok way back, but we have better options now. Once there were myths about the earth being flat and heretics were burnt. Now we know better. If you get 9 goals kicked against you in one quarter and you have had three months to plan for it then maybe you need to get another hobby. Not a blood letting into a bowl as such to get rid of the maladies in the system - just a dose of penicillin to keep the patient alive. No heads on stakes, although I admit last night I considered this. (By the way, loved your work in the Cup).

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Change will be coming.
I fv€king pray this comes true. It broke by heart watching 18yr Social Club reserved seat holders walking out at half time. It was just a sad thing to see. And it’s not going to get better any time soon.

Enough is enough. You can stick you virtue signaling AFL apologist incumbents right up your ar$e.

Go you red, black & white warriors
robsaint
Club Player

There a several problems with the club now. I think it is stating the bleeding obvious we need a total review of all departments and processes, how we progress our leaders within, how we develop our talent, injury management.
Does anyone think that Richo will do the honorable thing and resign? Looking at the positives, he will not have to deal with all the speculation, will not have to try to come up with positives for the coach address to the members, his coaching record will not get any worse.

St Lenny
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:20am I was talking to Silvio Foschini last night who is a Saints supporter, I have enormous respect for the man for the sacrifices he made to beacone a Saint. Knocked back Collingwood to become a Sainter had enormous respect for Ttevor Barker.
He says the team gives a real crack everyvweek they just dont have the cattle especially with all the injuries now. Roberton, Carlisle, Bruce, Long, Mc Cartin and Acres are 6 of our best or structurally important players.
This leads to who carries the most responsibility and in my book its the recruiting team firatly.
It needs an overhaul and then an overview of the coaches. Its an unbalanced list and we have cooked many high picks.
I agree our board has become a boring compliant club with a lot of PC stories... too many players passed up because they have a bit of spunk and character...
I also had a chat with a much loved fairly recently retired player who said our list is not very good and that the Coach is soft. The rot set in with player development when Ro$$ Lyin stuck with the same players and didn't blood new players. Because of this, there is a big gap in our list that has finally caught up with us. Recruiting has been abysmal to say the last. Assistant Coaches that have been with us way to long and the fatal mistake of renewing Richo's contract. Who made that decision should be accountable. We need change from the top down. But one thing I do know, not renewing your membership will not help our Club, as frustrating as they are.

jaxons
Club Player

St Lenny wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 10:41pm
Vazelos wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 8:20am I was talking to Silvio Foschini last night who is a Saints supporter, I have enormous respect for the man for the sacrifices he made to beacone a Saint. Knocked back Collingwood to become a Sainter had enormous respect for Ttevor Barker.
He says the team gives a real crack everyvweek they just dont have the cattle especially with all the injuries now. Roberton, Carlisle, Bruce, Long, Mc Cartin and Acres are 6 of our best or structurally important players.
This leads to who carries the most responsibility and in my book its the recruiting team firatly.
It needs an overhaul and then an overview of the coaches. Its an unbalanced list and we have cooked many high picks.
I agree our board has become a boring compliant club with a lot of PC stories... too many players passed up because they have a bit of spunk and character...
I also had a chat with a much loved fairly recently retired player who said our list is not very good and that the Coach is soft. The rot set in with player development when Ro$$ Lyin stuck with the same players and didn't blood new players. Because of this, there is a big gap in our list that has finally caught up with us. Recruiting has been abysmal to say the last. Assistant Coaches that have been with us way to long and the fatal mistake of renewing Richo's contract. Who made that decision should be accountable. We need change from the top down. But one thing I do know, not renewing your membership will not help our Club, as frustrating as they are.
Our list is not a 1 win from 12 games list.
The coach is definitely not tough enough in any way, or smart enough either.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It's such a corrupt little fishbowl the AFL - even the media are in bed with them
Everyone can see Richo is floundering but all these TV ex footballing media apologist are so conflicted they dare not actually report it as it is.....
it's crisis time for this footy club and yes Alan's a nice guy but someone please shoot bambi for our clubs sake!

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

I still just cant get my head around the coach extension to 2020.
Just so unnecessary. A complete brain explosion. Why not wait 6-12 months?
Seems so weird.

Was the Board on MDMA at the B & F or something?
I'm not joking. Serious question.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:27am I still just cant get my head around the coach extension to 2020.
Seems so weird.

It's obvious
At the time "stability" from successful clubs is always lauded over us
So our knee jerk reaction, politically correct Board full of AFL apologist decided:
"Let's be strategic....(dangerous), let's get in early and extend Alan and be touted in the media as a really stable footy club going places..."
When you lack self esteem, just want the big boys to like you you'll do anything.....even make decisions with no due diligence or rational thought.
Often termed: incompetence

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:34am
congorozides wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:27am I still just cant get my head around the coach extension to 2020.
Seems so weird.

It's obvious
So our knee jerk reaction, politically correct Board full of AFL apologist decided:
"Let's be strategic....(dangerous), let's get in early and extend Alan and be touted in the media as a really stable footy club going places..."
When you lack self esteem, just want the big boys to like you you'll do anything.....even make decisions with no due diligence or rational thought.
True. Couldnt agree more.

'Stability' was the latest buzz words in the halls of AFL group-think and pseudo corporate babble. And of course - we over invested in the latest trend word in a bid to fit in and get the pat on the head and the nod of approval from the 'industry'.

Similar to how we panicked after the Tom Boyd trade when the AFL 'industry' all believed that tall fwds were all going to be on $1m a year. That 'fear' lasted about 5 minutes.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:44am
Teflon wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 12:34am
Seems so weird.

It's obvious
True. Couldnt agree more.

'Stability' was the latest buzz words in the halls of AFL group-think and pseudo corporate babble. And of course - we over invested in the latest trend word in a bid to fit in and get the pat on the head and the nod of approval from the 'industry'.

Similar to how we panicked after the Tom Boyd trade when the AFL 'industry' all believed that tall fwds were all going to be on $1m a year. That 'fear' lasted about 5 minutes.
Yep we are trend followers not setters
Even the Pride game - good on them and I'm all for everyone having equal rights ......but you just know our clubs excited cause we've got a product the "bosses at HQ" will love and nothing but feel good media coming from this one folks!
It's why the yes referendum was interesting - not because of the vote (that was always going to be yes), but from the point of view of reading the clubs responses - St Kilda were falling over themselves to be "progressive"
Carlton and Hawthorn and other bigger clubs were confident enough to say it's not necessarily a sporting vote question, it's an individual question and we are happy to leave that to individuals to decide....
Many might say that's weak, St Kilda approach much stronger......id argue in this day and age of open media and public condemnation if one doesn't agree with "general consensus", it's far more dangerous and brave to take the Hawks /Blues line than ours.....
A cautionary note: to all/any muppet who comes back suggesting I'm arguing against a yes/no stance etc please understand it's NOT the point I'm making here and irrelevant (I know some won't resist a politically correct point scoring opportunity), all I ask is that they do try and keep up!

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:51pm
St Lenny wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 10:41pm
I also had a chat with a much loved fairly recently retired player who said our list is not very good and that the Coach is soft. The rot set in with player development when
Ro$$ Lyin stuck with the same players and didn't blood new players. Because of this, there is a big gap in our list that has finally caught up with us. Recruiting has been abysmal to say the last. Assistant Coaches that have been with us way to long and the fatal mistake of renewing Richo's contract. Who made that decision should be accountable. We need change from the top down. But one thing I do know, not renewing your membership will not help our Club, as frustrating as they are.
Our list is not a 1 win from 12 games list.
The coach is definitely not tough enough in any way, or smart enough either.
Oh yes it absolutely is. List is rubbish. Blind Freddie can see that. It’s deplorable.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The list is capable of a spot from 12 up to about 6th in my opinion. The team has failed and I don't blame the players. The coaching is the issue. Our brand of footy is evidence of a disconnect between the coaching and the players. Don't forget we are 4+ years into a rebuild and you expect younger players to be improving as they get more experience. Many players have stagnated or gone backwards. We've seen many of our players failing to perform at their best and please don't tell me it's because we don't have Rooy and Joey. Both were there at the back end of last year when we started this run of poor performances and I don't think they even figured in our top 10 last year.

The coaching has failed in many areas. The gameplan, the lack of integrity in team selection, player positions at times as well as overall ability to get the players motivated and prepared to showcase the club in marquee games has been indictment on the coaches. Richo will cost this club a lot of money from a lack of corportates and sponsorship if we cannot retain our Saturday night games or our Good Friday game. The head coach is responsible and he needs to be accountable

chico2001
Club Player

Agree with quite a few of your post scollop but unfortunately the list is not capable of making the eight let alone top 6. The list is overrated by a lot of posters...is it "blind love"? Look at the facts when you run your eye over a list. 2-4 players would get a game at top eight clubs. About 6 might get a game with Suns, or Blues. The rest are just not good enough to impact consistently at AFL. Then you have the young guys coming through and you cant form a base opinion on them yet.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree the list is s*** but Richo has been speaking s*** telling all and sundry we were top 4.
He failed to identify reality and showed huge errors of judgment on a handful of mature hacks that he over rated.
If the issue is the list and AR had any balls he would have spoken to someone about over hauling recruitment years ago. He did nothing.
His perseverance with Weller is embarrassing.
I think it is some homo erotic fetish.

chico2001
Club Player

Yes, his selections are a bit strange and I think that will continue because he is playing the juggling game now. No doubt when he goes some of his favourites will go, I am talking about Weller, Lonie and Armitage in particular.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 9:26pm Agree with quite a few of your post scollop but unfortunately the list is not capable of making the eight let alone top 6. The list is overrated by a lot of posters...is it "blind love"? Look at the facts when you run your eye over a list. 2-4 players would get a game at top eight clubs. About 6 might get a game with Suns, or Blues. The rest are just not good enough to impact consistently at AFL. Then you have the young guys coming through and you cant form a base opinion on them yet.

Hard to assess the list in the context of the current coaching regime. Easy to forget that after round 16 last year, we were 9-6, 7th on the ladder and looking at a finals berth with winnable games to come. I don’t believe that of all our young players there aren’t at least a number of them who aren’t quality players. They appear to me to be playing without any real heart or passion and that problem in my book, is a leadership problem. Who is the leader? Five years and this is what he’s created. Seen enough thanks. Give these players someone to connect with and play for and then see how they go.