Do We Coax Back Grant Thomas?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do We Coax Back Grant Thomas?

bigcarl wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 8:25pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 7:49pm This post is a sad reflection on where we are as a club
**** desperate
I think people yearn for a time when we had hope and direction and someone who would speak for the club.

Meh...I liked playing in GFs better going to the parade with a feared team....
Grant couldn't do that with his Warrnambool experience and fell short evertytime the heat and pressure came on the game plan
People forget that
To win a GF u gotta get in them - FAIL

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

cmon tef, gt brings out the best in you, and you know it! :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Grant was good enough to answer a question I asked on twitter tonight. I actually think what he is thinking would be extremely innovative in the AFL world and would be truly unique.

I've pretty much just hit him up about doing something about it and he has not responded as yet. Not that I really expect him to.

Regardless, If Grant was in an admin position he would not take a backward step defending the club, players and probably the damn supporters too.

We could do a lot worse... Such as a shrinking violet pres that would prefer to keep his nose out of the football side of things.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 11:06pm Grant was good enough to answer a question I asked on twitter tonight. I actually think what he is thinking would be extremely innovative in the AFL world and would be truly unique.

I've pretty much just hit him up about doing something about it and he has not responded as yet. Not that I really expect him to.

Regardless, If Grant was in an admin position he would not take a backward step defending the club, players and probably the damn supporters too.

We could do a lot worse... Such as a shrinking violet pres that would prefer to keep his nose out of the football side of things.
The way forward with the AFL is to build up a credible football club reputation and that takes time but can be done it's then and only then we'll be strong enough to be firm in our views with city hall.
Bringing in people like Thomas who exist to grab headlines and who are simply not rated seriously in football circles just so we can appear rebellious does little for our clubs future long term.
It would set us backwards 20 years
I'd rather bring in today's influencers who have talent and the rat cunning to position the club for the future - that's not Grant with his 80's corporate cliches stolen from European soccer clubs.
He'd love to be sitting up there as Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn't he?

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He hasn’t been involved with AFL since 2006 and it would be unheard of. The game is almost unrecognisable since then.

It’s like going back to an old girlfriend; it never works out.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 10:54pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 7:49pm This post is a sad reflection on where we are as a club
**** desperate
I think people yearn for a time when we had hope and direction and someone who would speak for the club.

Grant couldn't do that with his Warrnambool experience and fell short evertytime the heat and pressure came on the game plan
People forget that
We went close in 2004.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Oh yes...hilarious...Blight, Alves, Timid? Seriously, you'd think there's absolutely no-one credentialed available at all with the volume of nostalgic coaching posts dredged up over the last month.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 8:22am
**** desperate

People forget that
We went close in 2004.
MUCH closer in 09/10....

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 9:24am Oh yes...hilarious...Blight, Alves, Timid? Seriously, you'd think there's absolutely no-one credentialed available at all with the volume of nostalgic coaching posts dredged up over the last month.
Yes but none of those have Warrnambool coaching credentials!!!

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 7:08pm
**** desperate

People forget that
We went close in 2004.
MUCH closer in 09/10....
We were playing a seasoned team in 04 on their home soil. Obviously can’t prove it but I think we would have won the GF if we had got over Port.

Thomo had his weaknesses but had a few strengths. Let’s not be too biased.

felix
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 4:50pm I, for one, would love to see GT back at the club. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't even poo-poo the idea of him coaching again. But to be realistic, it would never happen. On the other hand, I think he would be a tremendous asset to have back at the club in virtually any other capacity. How would he go in recruiting, developing players, mentoring or list management? I honestly he believe he always bent over backwards and bled for our club and at any cost. Whether or not he'd want to come back to work with the club is another question.

Thoughts?
Of course we do ..

felix
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 4:50pm I, for one, would love to see GT back at the club. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't even poo-poo the idea of him coaching again. But to be realistic, it would never happen. On the other hand, I think he would be a tremendous asset to have back at the club in virtually any other capacity. How would he go in recruiting, developing players, mentoring or list management? I honestly he believe he always bent over backwards and bled for our club and at any cost. Whether or not he'd want to come back to work with the club is another question.

Thoughts?
Of course we do ..

felix
Club Player

We need saints people at the top ..heart and soul ....saints people ..not suits looking for a job ....players have to play for people who give meaning to the team ..we are souless at the mo ....grant Thomas ..roo Harvey Xavier dal Santo .. McGuire.... Lenny ....it's unfinished business....bring it in ...Aussie Jones .....all qualified

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 8:03pm
**** desperate

People forget that
We went close in 2004.
MUCH closer in 09/10....
We were playing a seasoned team in 04 on their home soil. Obviously can’t prove it but I think we would have won the GF if we had got over Port.

Yes; let’s not be biased let’s be factual
Grants game plan (see Port 04) had a history of being overrun and when that happened we could never stop the blood flow.
Grant could not get past a Prelim twice and played injured players in 05 - perhaps rather than taking the team on a juncket to SouthAfrica for 300k we didn’t have to “round out young men” Grant would’ve been better redirecting some funds into “Training Services”........ whatever the hell that meant
Just facts is really all you need with Grant and for the record I think he was the right guy after the Blight debacle........I just never though the ego would kick in so long that he’d over stay his welcome

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 8:43pm We need saints people at the top ..heart and soul ....saints people ..not suits looking for a job ....players have to play for people who give meaning to the team ..we are souless at the mo ....grant Thomas ..roo Harvey Xavier dal Santo .. McGuire.... Lenny ....it's unfinished business....bring it in ...Aussie Jones .....all qualified
We need talented people at the top first saints people comes later

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Anderson Thomson Frawley Hammill
theres 4 Saints people already in the mix

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 11:18pm
SaintPav wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 8:03pm
**** desperate

People forget that
We went close in 2004.
MUCH closer in 09/10....

Yes; let’s not be biased let’s be factual
Grants game plan (see Port 04) had a history of being overrun and when that happened we could never stop the blood flow.
Grant could not get past a Prelim twice and played injured players in 05 - perhaps rather than taking the team on a juncket to SouthAfrica for 300k we didn’t have to “round out young men” Grant would’ve been better redirecting some funds into “Training Services”........ whatever the hell that meant
Just facts is really all you need with Grant and for the record I think he was the right guy after the Blight debacle........I just never though the ego would kick in so long that he’d over stay his welcome
You do know who actually won the coaching gig/sham in 03?

lefty
Club Player

100% yes from me.
Tired of excuses, positives and a lack of decent game plan / forward line structure.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Is this a troll post?

if not NOOOO! the guy directly wrecked multiple careers of potentially great players, cost us millions in sponsorship,lost us a almost gimmie premiership (2004), a megalomaniac and bags absolutely everyone around him who suck up his arse.

Why would you let some like that into the club when all he would try and do is oust everyone, until he is the last man standing, absolute disaster in the making, giving him anything more than a membership. If anyone seriously thinks it would be a idea god save us all.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 7:25pm Is this a troll post?

if not NOOOO! the guy directly wrecked multiple careers of potentially great players, cost us millions in sponsorship,lost us a almost gimmie premiership (2004), a megalomaniac and bags absolutely everyone around him who suck up his arse.

Why would you let some like that into the club when all he would try and do is oust everyone, until he is the last man standing, absolute disaster in the making, giving him anything more than a membership. If anyone seriously thinks it would be a idea god save us all.
100% well said
It staggers me sheep buy his megalomaniac bull shyte
Puts in 5 year contracts on his own for Hamil - he plays handful games club left paying the bill (board later insisted any contract longer than 4 had to come via them). Such was the dictator attitude of this ass clown he had to be managed by the board in the end
Tipped out of Nth Melb too cause he tried his crap there too in taking over and they said on your bike
It really is sad that people are so desperate for someone, anyone to stand up for the club so they buy this absolute BS from THomas
He is an empty 1980s corporate vessel and if he EVER returned we are finished - AFL would make sure of that and really who could blame them

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

The word 'coax' implies wed have to talk him in to it....

I think he would be on hands and knees begging for another sniff at relevance. What else is he doing with himself?

Besides having a million kids.

chico2001
Club Player

Ouch....sounds like he was a real nasty bugger. From afar he looked ok...innovative etc and had reasonable success. Always spoke well on TV.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Not sure Danny Frawley would like him back. Still probably holds a grudge after his coaching days at Richmond.

lefty
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 7:25pm if not NOOOO! the guy directly wrecked multiple careers of potentially great players, cost us millions in sponsorship,lost us a almost gimmie premiership (2004), a megalomaniac and bags absolutely everyone around him who suck up his arse.
See, that's your opinion.

"Lost us a almost gimmie premiership" - This is based on absolutely nothing but personal opinion. When the team's playing well, every players a star and had an amazing list. When the same players are playing s***, everyone is a failed player and people want blood. Could say the same for any coach. Might as well say that Beveridge cost the Bulldogs the 2017 premiership as well. What you should acknowledge is that you can 100% blame supporters running onto the field which played a large part in the loss to Port, that is fact, not a personal opinion.

"Millions in sponsorship" - source please?

"Wrecked careers" - Like who? I looked through the 04, 05, 06 delistings. Tell me which one was ruined.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah let's not risk anything that will take us down near the bottom of the ladder