COMMENT: Saints' road to flag a highway to hell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: COMMENT: Saints' road to flag a highway to hell

thejiggingsaint wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 4:03pm
bigred wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 3:08pm Statistically, every club in the competition, bar perhaps GC and GWS are more likely to win another premiership before we do.
Spot ON!
Statistically, at the start of 2016, the Bulldogs were very little chance of winning the flag that year. Practically, GWS are more likely to win a flag before Saints.
Those sort of stats mean nothing.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

well jiggy has come to terms with it.
i doubt we'll win a flag in my lifetime (or the saints lifetime), let alone in the next 10-15 years. but heck it would be nice, and gee we came close.
but it's not why we follow the saints (surely?). we suffered through the late 70s to late 80s not because we expected a flag somewhere later in life, but because we love the saints.
come what may.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 5:32pm well jiggy has come to terms with it.
i doubt we'll win a flag in my lifetime (or the saints lifetime), let alone in the next 10-15 years. but heck it would be nice, and gee we came close.
but it's not why we follow the saints (surely?). we suffered through the late 70s to late 80s not because we expected a flag somewhere later in life, but because we love the saints.
come what may.
Quite right Colleague ! I have indeed “come to terms” with my “Sainthood” .... and the price of same! I decided to put my money where my mouth was in 2000 (hardly our most distinguished season) so my commitment isn’t based on “flag prospects”.
However, I WOULD love to ENJOY going to the footy again, at SOME stage! We left at half time last Saturday, just had enough!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
howlinwolf
Club Player

C'mon Jiggster, buckle up !

You can't play the blues unless you've lived the blues.

We've been putrid before and we'll be putrid again. But just now again we give it a real shot.

We're a minnow club, so the ups are followed by a descention to the depths.
We are almost there now.

There will be no better feeling for us than the day we win our second flag.
Look what it did for the Dogs.

Hang in there brother, the sun will shine again.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 6:22pm C'mon Jiggster, buckle up !

You can't play the blues unless you've lived the blues.

We've been putrid before and we'll be putrid again. But just now again we give it a real shot.

We're a minnow club, so the ups are followed by a descention to the depths.
We are almost there now.

There will be no better feeling for us than the day we win our second flag.
Look what it did for the Dogs.

Hang in there brother, the sun will shine again.
All true! I'm "hanging in there" for sure. Agree to disagree however regarding me seeing our second flag. Aint gonna happen! Simple as THAT! I'm reconciled to that mate, what I would like though, is to be able to ENJOY a footy game once in a while........ the prospects for that are bleak! But I'm not going anywhere, just grinning and bearing it at present!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If Carlton win another flag before we do I will really struggle to keep following football.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Thu 14 Jun 2018 6:54pm If Carlton win another flag before we do I will really struggle to keep following football.
WHY? Why desert the Saints, simply because another club wins the flag? I have to tell you colleague, the prospect of Carlton winning another flag before us is REAL! They have a young list that is looking very very good, and you'd better get used to the idea.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

bassoon wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:04am I agree with the Jigster, and I hate, the cheating, lying, robbing Scumbags. But unless we do something off field drastically, we won't ever win the Big One. Why??? We should have one in 09, but we put Ball on the interchange in the last quarter. In 10, Milney got a bad bounce. We also should have won in 05, but we stuffed up again - even in 66 when we had Baldock, Stewart, Howell, Ditterich, Murray, Neale, and Cooper (never see that level of talent ever again), we won by one point!!! We'll never ever win it again due to equalisation of the draft, and the like, because we are an insipid club off field. Sorry to be so negative, but doing research on the whole of Australian rules Football (scores of AFL, VFA, SANFL, WAFL, TFL, NTFA, NWFU, etc. etc, there has never been a more crappy club than we are after 135 years. L love us, I hate us, but the hope is dying. 650 odd years (I'm nearly 56 years) is a long time. 79 to 86 was eighteen years without any hope, 2012 to whenever could be similar. And I watch or listen to every game. I think we can win every game. I don't go (live in Jamieson), but yelling at the TV of the Collingwood game, or yelling and getting excited against Richmond - OK, all good, but not a whimper out of me against Sydney - so sad, so sad so Us. Sorry changed topic, but I hurt so badly. What is good, is that there are so many of us on SS, different opinions, different biases, all of us think we know an answer. Though I don't like some of you, it's still good. We still love our Club, and want the best. Don't let us go the same way that Fitzroy did. It would kill me!!!
Great post! Honest, realistic and reflective of just the way so many of us feel at present

chico2001
Club Player

Nice work Bassoon. The part of your post I dreaded to read but knew it to be true is the "worst club in history known to mankind and the universe or words to that effect". This club can be great but it needs the very best people at the top to make it happen off field and then it needs to work on its playing list.....It can be done. Other clubs in sport and corporations in industry have done it.