Sammy fires back.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sammy fires back.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c7608ba1d1

"Sam Gilbert rejects Nick Riewoldt’s assessment that St Kilda players don’t receive honest feedback

The last remaining on-field link to St Kilda’s back-to-back grand final sides is shaking off former captain Nick Riewoldt’s “brutal” comments questioning the club’s playing group.

Fresh off the Saints returning to the winners’ list against Gold Coast on Saturday, veteran defender Sam Gilbert rejected his ex-skipper’s assessment that the players weren’t receiving honest feedback after their dismal 2-10 start.

“I’ve obviously played a lot of footy with ‘Roo’ and he’s an incredible leader, incredible bloke and a good friend of mine — and that’s his opinion,” Gilbert said.

“But I see internally that … we’re trying to improve and I think (coach Alan Richardson) is really pushing to improve as a team.”

Riewoldt recently revealed he was “frustrated” at a perceived lack of harsh feedback during his final years at the club in the wake of the club’s embarrassing 71-point loss to Sydney in round 12.

“Rooey’s been part of the team for a long period … (but) every week we want to improve,” Gilbert said.

“That’s been the main focus all year.”

The 31-year-old defender wasn’t part of St Kilda’s pressure-releasing, comeback victory over the Suns at Metricon Stadium, but reckons the result could prove a turning point for the struggling Saints.

“It’s definitely a step in the right direction,” he said.

“The boys played incredibly well that last quarter. It shows a bit of the blueprint of the way that we want to play.

“If we can match that going into next week’s game (against Melbourne on July 1), I’m sure we’re going to be in a position to win or at least be in the game.”

Disputed what roo said rather than potted him maybe.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 21 Jun 2018 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sammy fires back and pots Roo

saynta wrote: Wed 20 Jun 2018 4:31pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c7608ba1d1

"Sam Gilbert rejects Nick Riewoldt’s assessment that St Kilda players don’t receive honest feedback

The last remaining on-field link to St Kilda’s back-to-back grand final sides is shaking off former captain Nick Riewoldt’s “brutal” comments questioning the club’s playing group.

Fresh off the Saints returning to the winners’ list against Gold Coast on Saturday, veteran defender Sam Gilbert rejected his ex-skipper’s assessment that the players weren’t receiving honest feedback after their dismal 2-10 start.

“I’ve obviously played a lot of footy with ‘Roo’ and he’s an incredible leader, incredible bloke and a good friend of mine — and that’s his opinion,” Gilbert said.

“But I see internally that … we’re trying to improve and I think (coach Alan Richardson) is really pushing to improve as a team.”

Riewoldt recently revealed he was “frustrated” at a perceived lack of harsh feedback during his final years at the club in the wake of the club’s embarrassing 71-point loss to Sydney in round 12.

“Rooey’s been part of the team for a long period … (but) every week we want to improve,” Gilbert said.

The 31-year-old defender wasn’t part of St Kilda’s pressure-releasing, comeback victory over the Suns at Metricon Stadium, but reckons the result could prove a turning point for the struggling Saints.

“The boys played incredibly well that last quarter. It shows a bit of the blueprint of the way that we want to play.

“If we can match that going into next week’s game (against Melbourne on July 1), I’m sure we’re going to be in a position to win or at least be in the game.”

Hardly “Fired Back”
I’d say greatest nothing piece I’ve seen for a while (and I’ve also read all your post Stinger so that’s saying something...)

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo will be out of a job shortly if he doesn't grease the wheels a bit .
Can't blame him for that

In red white and black from 73
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

answered like a politician.
But Roo was brutally honest and didn't mince words at all

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
barneyboyz
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 20 Jun 2018 11:11pm
saynta wrote: Wed 20 Jun 2018 4:31pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c7608ba1d1

Hardly “Fired Back”
I’d say greatest nothing piece I’ve seen for a while (and I’ve also read all your post Stinger so that’s saying something...)
I see a measured response tbh. What would harsh, but honest feedback be worth to a bunch of first/second year players? Yes, the core group would be copping heaps in private.

Interestingly, when I watch pre or post game vision of the group, I still see that many of them are still coming to grips with being a part of that group. It will take time for the natural personality of a team to come through.

The mix of Steele, Rice, Long, Coff, Clark and Co. including next years new players will become that persona

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
chico2001
Club Player

Agree with Teflon....a load of nothing.

If thats Gilbert's idea of a "blueprint" way to play, well that about sums up the saints. Get behind at 3/4 time by 5/6 goals then come home and win by a couple of points.......yeah right. Keep doing that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 2:21pm Agree with Teflon....a load of nothing.

If thats Gilbert's idea of a "blueprint" way to play, well that about sums up the saints. Get behind at 3/4 time by 5/6 goals then come home and win by a couple of points.......yeah right. Keep doing that.
Wasn't written by me,

I guess I will have to stop posting articles that posters don't normally see or get to read.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Tells me that Roo is indirectly saying that the coach isn't up to it. He's pussy footing around and the language coming out of pressers after each loss confirms this. The 'enormous' win on the weekend couldn't have been less impressive. No wonder the players still like him, he doesn't come down on them hard enough. I reckon a bloke who understands pushing yourself to your limit and what is required to be great would know. The article says a lot both in it's content and the response by Gilbert......

chico2001
Club Player

I was posting about the article saynta...not criticising your good self.....

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 4:38pm I was posting about the article saynta...not criticising your good self.....
Okay mate. Some one else was though.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 4:38pm I was posting about the article saynta...not criticising your good self.....
Lol yes it’s always about gold old stinger..... :lol:
Irrelevant comes to mind!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 3:43pm

Tells me that Roo is indirectly saying that the coach isn't up to it. He's pussy footing around and the language coming out of pressers after each loss confirms this. The 'enormous' win on the weekend couldn't have been less impressive. No wonder the players still like him, he doesn't come down on them hard enough. I reckon a bloke who understands pushing yourself to your limit and what is required to be great would know. The article says a lot both in it's content and the response by Gilbert......
Spot on
Riewoldt’s words are clearly damning and he does know the inner sanctum
I think Richo simply lacks the mongrel that the great coaches all at some stage posses and use when they need to
Sure players like him but it’s probably like working for that incompetent boss who lets the ship run itself.....and finish Fridays early for beer! What’s not to like?
Except the business is going down the sh!tter

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Thu 21 Jun 2018 3:43pm

Couldn’t agree more. Gilbert and the other softies can just p1ss off. Now. I’m sick of people feeling sorry for my team. I’d rather be hated than pitied. And preferably feared. Get a nasty edge back to us - I loved when we had Gtrain, Steve Lawrence, Heath Black, Steve Powell & Hamill. They made players walk taller and weren’t afraid to give and cop a spray when warranted.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saints43
Club Player

Re: Sammy fires back.

Gilbert described as laconic and soft. Unbelievable.
He's got his issues as a player but I can't say I've ever seen him squib or not playing at maximum effort.
And there's only a very few I would say that about. Blokes like Blake.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote: Fri 22 Jun 2018 9:22am Gilbert described as laconic and soft. Unbelievable.
He's got his issues as a player but I can't say I've ever seen him squib or not playing at maximum effort.
Disgraceful isn't it. I hesitated to put the link up in the first place and now I wish I hadn't.

I will be more selective in future.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 23 Jun 2018 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 22 Jun 2018 11:06am
Saints43 wrote: Fri 22 Jun 2018 9:22am Gilbert described as laconic and soft. Unbelievable.
Disgraceful isn't it. I hesitated to put the link up in the first place and no I wish I hadn't.

I will be more selective in future.

I think a little more selection in deciding when and when not to post is the order of the day! :!: :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

What would Gilbert know the guy hasnt hit a target his entire career. He can run off to GCS and be the rainbow embassador for them - great stuff. If he was fit AR would play him in front of one of the kids with a much brighter future. Time to go Gilbert dont let the door hit you on the way out.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

So sad to read the derogatory comments about one of the Saints best players this century.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sat 23 Jun 2018 6:32pm So sad to read the derogatory comments about one of the Saints best players this century.
Pretty sure the fella has played over 200 games and been on an AFL list for over 10 years. Couldn't be that bad hey? :wink:

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC