J. Cameron hit on Brisbane player

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BadRossco
Club Player

Re: J. Cameron hit on Brisbane player

Playing for one of the AFL's expansion clubs will result in a lighter suspension than is appropriate

flack
Club Player

AFL has no credibility. Remember the Essendon acupuncture affair. hundreds of needles but nothing illegal. They' either don't understand the meaning of the word or they've got a different dictionary to everybody else.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 6:26pm cocked that elbow pretty early.
These guys ( especially a forward of Cameron's calibre ) is used to judging the flight of the footy and his overall awareness of distance and time is elite. He knew exactly what he was doing when he cocked that elbow

When you watch the slow motion replay ( and I slowed it down frame by frame to see how early Cameron would have realised he was out of the marking contest ) you can see that his elbow was targeted directly at Andrews head if not directly at his jaw. The fact that Cameron turned his head away before the impact is like someone shutting their eyes before they shoot the trigger. He had already taken aim

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What is a player meant to do mid air if a player turns front on running the opposite way to make a spoil?

Maybe if he'd tucked up the impact could have been slightly reduced, but I think heavy contact is unavoidable really in mid air contests where players are coming form opposite directions.

Luke hodge got off once again a few weeks ago for smashing someone's head with his shoulder in a contest.

takeaway
Club Player

Should have tucked the elbow, a leap for a mark became a very messy spoil. I don't think he deliberately targeted the head, but very careless. Penalty 4 weeks plus transfer to Saints in 2019.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It’s a joke we don’t have a red card in footy.

Not even a 10 minute sin bin.

But the imbecile supporters (some of them) still say “don’t change the rules!”

Use the 3rd video ump if necessary for hits where a player is clearly concussed. Shame that simpletons run the league and have for years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think Cameron deserves 5 weeks
dragit wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 3:20pm What is a player meant to do mid air if a player turns front on running the opposite way to make a spoil?
He's got a few options. Could use his palms to push off Harris's back or shoulders. Could lift his hands in front of his own face instead of lifting the elbow or he could just keep his arms down and may possibly twist his body mid air.
dragit wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 3:20pm Maybe if he'd tucked up the impact could have been slightly reduced, but I think heavy contact is unavoidable really in mid air contests where players are coming form opposite directions.
Might have been difficult to avoid contact with Andrew's body but he should have attempted to avoid contact with Andrew's head. There is a case to argue that he targeted Andrew's head
dragit wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 3:20pm Luke hodge got off once again a few weeks ago for smashing someone's head with his shoulder in a contest.
Buddy got off (probably should have got 1-2). Tom Mitchell got off (debatable - I didn't think impact was high on Goldstein). Hodge got off ( correct decision imo because he literally had no other option).

saynta
Saintsational Legend

flack wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 1:50pm AFL has no credibility. Remember the Essendon acupuncture affair. hundreds of needles but nothing illegal. They' either don't understand the meaning of the word or they've got a different dictionary to everybody else.
Hundreds? Try thousands. Agree with you though.

oh when the
Club Player

5 WEEKS

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Probably the minimum I guess. Just in time for games before finals of course.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Surprised he wasn’t deregistered.

Joke.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 3:55pm It’s a joke we don’t have a red card in footy.

Not even a 10 minute sin bin.

But the imbecile supporters (some of them) still say “don’t change the rules!”

Use the 3rd video ump if necessary for hits where a player is clearly concussed. Shame that simpletons run the league and have for years.
be careful what you wish for. i'll give you one guess which team will be the first to suffer a red card if it ever comes in.
and it'll be a fifty-fifty decision, similar to ones by seven other players who had been given the benefit of the doubt in earlier games. and we'll lose the game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 9:08pm Probably the minimum I guess. Just in time for games before finals of course.

So the tribunal determined it was deliberate. A deliberate strike to the head with an elbow that puts a bloke in hospital with a bleeding brain. And he gets five weeks...Five weeks would have been appropriate for a reckless hit like that, not a deleiberate one. And Cameron has a lengthy record. A farce. If assessed as deliberate, should have been at least 8, if not 10.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

5 doesnt seem enough really

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Seems like plenty to me, I don't think he intentionally entered that contest to hurt Andrews at all, he went for the ball at full tilt and unfortunately confronted a bloke completely open running the opposite direction. Reckless at most IMO, no way his intention was to injure... it's a collision sport and we laud players being brave by recklessly running back with the flight of the ball, but this is what can happen if someone is coming the other way and has no option to pull out of the contest.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'd like to think that Drag

but that elbow was cocked for a long time

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 11:28pm Seems like plenty to me, I don't think he intentionally entered that contest to hurt Andrews at all, he went for the ball at full tilt and unfortunately confronted a bloke completely open running the opposite direction. Reckless at most IMO, no way his intention was to injure... it's a collision sport and we laud players being brave by recklessly running back with the flight of the ball, but this is what can happen if someone is coming the other way and has no option to pull out of the contest.
I actually agree with you, but the point is that the tribunal assessed it as deliberate. Sooooooooo.....if a player deliberately smashes someone in the head with an elbow and causes their brain to bleed......wouldn’t that be worth more than five weeks?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 26 Jun 2018 11:28pm Seems like plenty to me, I don't think he intentionally entered that contest to hurt Andrews at all, he went for the ball at full tilt and unfortunately confronted a bloke completely open running the opposite direction. Reckless at most IMO, no way his intention was to injure... it's a collision sport and we laud players being brave by recklessly running back with the flight of the ball, but this is what can happen if someone is coming the other way and has no option to pull out of the contest.
Completely agree

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He was pushed in the back and got a free kick before it was reversed when he hit Andrews in the head. The push may have lessened the penalty.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

5 weeks was about right, I would think.

Also means he misses the Saints match.