Team v Demons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

portosaint
Club Player

Re: Team v Demons

takeaway wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 9:45am
portosaint wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 9:37am This should help solidify our draft position I guess
No. We want a low pick.
We're playing for number 1 by the looks of it

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 28 Jun 2018 11:36pm
spert wrote: Thu 28 Jun 2018 11:04pm Bad karma to drop guys from a winning team. To bring Gilbert in and drop Austin beggars belief- only presume Richo is looking at a run to the finals
Sammy was BOG last week for Sandy.

Deserves his call up.
With all due respect - utter bullsh!t. He was in the slop @ Williamstown a week before last week's bye in a team that kicked it's lowest score ever and who didn't kick a single goal for the game. There basically was no 'best'.

Gilbert is going to go (or I will) at the end of the season so again, what in the actual fuc(k is the point of playing him ahead of Brandon White? Or Coffield? Please Richo - you deadsh!t meth head - what is the point?

<warning for abusing / demeaning a Saints official>

ABUSING OR DEMEANING A SAINTS PLAYER, FAMILY OR OFFICIAL RULE

Commenting on the performance of a Saints player / official is allowed. In cases where posters abuse or demean a Saints player / official / or their family, OR casts dispersions on their character and it is deemed by the moderators to be unreasonably offensive and inflammatory, then the moderators (if all moderators agree) can issue a Saintsational warning, or in extreme cases a 1 week ban of the offending poster.
Last edited by Saintmatt on Fri 29 Jun 2018 10:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
portosaint
Club Player

I tend to agree Saintmatt. I like Sammy, I really do. A loyal servant who gives everything... No question.

I don't like the idea of flogging a dead horse however. At this stage of our season the blinkers should be on and the future should be forefront in the selectors eyes.

In a nutshell, Gilbo offers us nothing. Zero. Nought.

My mind is cooked

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 10:33am
spert wrote: Thu 28 Jun 2018 11:04pm Bad karma to drop guys from a winning team. To bring Gilbert in and drop Austin beggars belief- only presume Richo is looking at a run to the finals

Deserves his call up.
With all due respect - utter bullsh!t. He was in the slop @ Williamstown a week before last week's bye in a team that kicked it's lowest score ever and who didn't kick a single goal for the game. There basically was no 'best'.

Gilbert is going to go (or I will) at the end of the season so again, what in the actual fuc(k is the point of playing him ahead of Brandon White? Or Coffield? Please Richo - you deadsh!t meth head - what is the point?
I beg to differ. Sammy played an outstanding game in difficult conditions.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-06-1 ... -on-return

"Two experienced Saints stood out despite Sandringham’s brutal 68-point loss to Williamstown on Sunday afternoon.

In utterly torrid conditions at Burbank Oval that saw a blustering gale and torrential rainfall all day, the Zebras failed to kick a goal for the first time in their 89-year history.

Sam Gilbert was outstanding in his return from injury with 24 disposals and six tackles, while ruckman Tom Hickey competed aggressively, finishing with 58 hit-outs and eight tackles.

Defenders Brandon White (16 disposals, three marks, two tackles) and Hugh Goddard (eight disposals, five marks) battled well in defence, restricting the opposition to three goals in the first three quarters before the Seagulls got on a run on in the last.

Conditions were some of the worst seen in years at Williamstown on Sunday.

After a grinding first three quarters and just a 15-point deficit at three-quarter time, Sandringham coach Aaron Hamill admitted the Seagulls simply wanted it more.

“It was really tough conditions in a game that was already difficult to score; we’ve never been involved in a game where we haven’t kicked a goal,” Hamill told saints.com.au.

“Williamstown adjusted to the conditions a lot better than what we did. We fought it out, but we were exposed in the contest against an opposition who just wanted it more than what we did.”

Hamill highlighted the games of ruckman Tom Hickey and the strong return of Sam Gilbert from injury.

“Gilbo (Sam Gilbert) was really solid in the middle, and Tom Hickey battled hard all day,” he said.

“It wasn’t a day for tall forwards, but Josh Bruce got through his second hit-out well and kept presenting in conditions that made it hard for him. He’ll be better for the run.”

Sandringham have the bye in Round 12 but return to face Port Melbourne at 2pm on Saturday 30 June at North Port Oval.

Williamstown 0.0 2.4 3.5 11.11 (77)

Sandringham 0.5 0.5 0.8 0.9 (9)

BEST Gilbert, Hickey, White, Goddard

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Deserves his call up.

Deadshit meth head??? what kind of moron are you??? And I so hope Gilbo get another contract now, it would be great to see the arse end of d**khead supporters like you, plus Gilbo with one leg sawn off and blind is more value to the club than you will ever be

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 11:10am

Deserves his call up.

Deadshit meth head??? what kind of moron are you??? And I so hope Gilbo get another contract now, it would be great to see the arse end of d**khead supporters like you, plus Gilbo with one leg sawn off and blind is more value to the club than you will ever be
Sorry pal - didn't realise I was addressing you directly. Carry on though with your righteous indignance.

Sam actually is of value to the club - just not playing anymore - winning best clubman year after year indicates that. But - if you think he's of value to us on-field going forward then you're on the same gear as Richo and his Match Committee.

As for the way I've referred to Richo - in hindsight - possibly harsh. But if you can justify how bringing Gilbert back in but not White; playing Mav instead of anyone; not playing Coffield; playing Brown ahead of Austin then yeah - without the excuse of substances - you're a more enlightened human than I am.
Last edited by Saintmatt on Fri 29 Jun 2018 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 11:06am

Deserves his call up.

"Two experienced Saints stood out despite Sandringham’s brutal 68-point loss to Williamstown on Sunday afternoon.

In utterly torrid conditions at Burbank Oval that saw a blustering gale and torrential rainfall all day, the Zebras failed to kick a goal for the first time in their 89-year history.

Sam Gilbert was outstanding in his return from injury with 24 disposals and six tackles, while ruckman Tom Hickey competed aggressively, finishing with 58 hit-outs and eight tackles.

Defenders Brandon White (16 disposals, three marks, two tackles) and Hugh Goddard (eight disposals, five marks) battled well in defence, restricting the opposition to three goals in the first three quarters before the Seagulls got on a run on in the last.

After a grinding first three quarters and just a 15-point deficit at three-quarter time, Sandringham coach Aaron Hamill admitted the Seagulls simply wanted it more.

“It was really tough conditions in a game that was already difficult to score; we’ve never been involved in a game where we haven’t kicked a goal,” Hamill told saints.com.au.

“Williamstown adjusted to the conditions a lot better than what we did. We fought it out, but we were exposed in the contest against an opposition who just wanted it more than what we did.”

Hamill highlighted the games of ruckman Tom Hickey and the strong return of Sam Gilbert from injury.

“Gilbo (Sam Gilbert) was really solid in the middle, and Tom Hickey battled hard all day,” he said.

“It wasn’t a day for tall forwards, but Josh Bruce got through his second hit-out well and kept presenting in conditions that made it hard for him. He’ll be better for the run.”

Sandringham have the bye in Round 12 but return to face Port Melbourne at 2pm on Saturday 30 June at North Port Oval.

Saynta - I can read. But I watched it myself. Trust me - no one was best. The ball was in puddles all afternoon down the city end of the ground. Willy were just better moving it through the middle to the puddles. It was more like water polo than footy so, if that's what 'best' was judged on then, so be it. Those conditions were in no way even remotely representative of the conditions that will greet the team on the MCG on Sunday.

the dome
Club Player

Good Luck Darragh

Good luck & all the best DJ.

G O S A I N T S ! :)

takeaway
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 11:20am

Deserves his call up.

Saynta - I can read. But I watched it myself. Trust me - no one was best. The ball was in puddles all afternoon down the city end of the ground. Willy were just better moving it through the middle to the puddles. It was more like water polo than footy so, if that's what 'best' was judged on then, so be it. Those conditions were in no way even remotely representative of the conditions that will greet the team on the MCG on Sunday.
Gilbert is versatile and can play on talls and mid height forwards, ie Hogan or Hannan. I don't know whether Carlisle will be able to handle Hogan when he roams around the ground, bit much for Joyce in his first game, Gilbert possibly the best option , and Carlisle can play his intercept role more. Brown can take McDonald. I think the selections make sense, especially if you at least are trying to win, unlike a few on here who prefer losses.

Coffield, White & Austin look like they are all keepers, and will be back in. In my view Austin was omitted due to some defensive skill errors in recent weeks. It is good that Joyce has some experience around him for his first game. I think the club will churn through quite a few players for the rest of the season, but not all the youngsters at once.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 12:34pm

Deserves his call up.

Gilbert is versatile and can play on talls and mid height forwards, ie Hogan or Hannan. I don't know whether Carlisle will be able to handle Hogan when he roams around the ground, bit much for Joyce in his first game, Gilbert possibly the best option , and Carlisle can play his intercept role more. Brown can take McDonald. I think the selections make sense, especially if you at least are trying to win, unlike a few on here who prefer losses.

Coffield, White & Austin look like they are all keepers, and will be back in. In my view Austin was omitted due to some defensive skill errors in recent weeks. It is good that Joyce has some experience around him for his first game. I think the club will churn through quite a few players for the rest of the season, but not all the youngsters at once.
Hard to argue with that rationale but, as much as I’d rather win than lose - I just don’t see the point of not getting games into the younger guys now. Give them a few games on the trot to get used to it and show their wares (or not). Sam won’t be there when we’re competitive again so, I’d rather just go balls-in on the kids.

takeaway
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 12:48pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 12:34pm

Deserves his call up.

Hard to argue with that rationale but, as much as I’d rather win than lose - I just don’t see the point of not getting games into the younger guys now. Give them a few games on the trot to get used to it and show their wares (or not). Sam won’t be there when we’re competitive again so, I’d rather just go balls-in on the kids.
Fair enough. Not sure Gilbert is actually in anyway. I think we need to balance experience with bringing in a couple of youngsters each week. Next should be Connellan, Goddard? Freeman?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Jun 2018 10:05pm *4 to be omitted: my guess at the quaddie is Pierce (we only ever play one ruck), Armo (MCG too large), Gilbert (gone at end of year) and Wright (gone at end of year). I also am impressed at Weller's ability to continue to be picked but against an ageing Lewis this is his opportunity. Marshall and Austin must be bemused. Surely McKenzie will play higher after the revelation of last game. If three or more goals are kicked on Brown selectors need to be re-educated, say Stalag 13.
agree with most but I think Paton wont get a run. Only because there has been a lot of talk about Joyce debuting but none about Paton. I guess Wright will play as his last chance to impress.

The Craw
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 2:05pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 28 Jun 2018 10:05pm *4 to be omitted: my guess at the quaddie is Pierce (we only ever play one ruck), Armo (MCG too large), Gilbert (gone at end of year) and Wright (gone at end of year). I also am impressed at Weller's ability to continue to be picked but against an ageing Lewis this is his opportunity. Marshall and Austin must be bemused. Surely McKenzie will play higher after the revelation of last game. If three or more goals are kicked on Brown selectors need to be re-educated, say Stalag 13.
agree with most but I think Paton wont get a run. Only because there has been a lot of talk about Joyce debuting but none about Paton. I guess Wright will play as his last chance to impress.
Joyce is playing.

Not Craw, CRAW!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

The Craw wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 2:07pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 2:05pm
Joyce is playing.
Yes he is. :? Kind of my point. There is talk about Joyce playing but none about Paton so I think Paton wont get a game this week.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 10:47am I tend to agree Saintmatt. I like Sammy, I really do. A loyal servant who gives everything... No question.

I don't like the idea of flogging a dead horse however. At this stage of our season the blinkers should be on and the future should be forefront in the selectors eyes.

In a nutshell, Gilbo offers us nothing. Zero. Nought.

My mind is cooked
He gets 1 farewell game...thats it IMO.
Been a good player, cruelled in potentially his best years.
But is just taking a young players spot now.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I posted that we should be on the lookout for a player to make his debut.

I'm tipping that there will be at least two more.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 4:09pm I posted that we should be on the lookout for a player to make his debut.

Paton and Ray Connelan I assume or are you thinking Freezer may finally get a game

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 9:19am Watching Harrison Petty debut is gonna hurt

We took Claravino over him.

He's debuting in a top 4 team While claravino struggles.

Why we pick claravino? He's a local private school boy

Fair dinkum were ******!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What's wrong with picking Claravino.or with private school boys.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 4:20pm
saynta wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 4:09pm I posted that we should be on the lookout for a player to make his debut.

Paton and Ray Connelan I assume or are you thinking Freezer may finally get a game
Well, any two of them. I will be chuffed if all three get a run.

To the top
SS Life Member

Have not seen Joyce, but he is 194cm and 99kg.

In regards Gilbert, I would much prefer him in the side than Geary

So I consider many on here miss the obvious with the side we put on the park - and why we are where we are at

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

spert wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 9:03am

Deserves his call up.
My friend the Willy supporter reckons Hickey was the only player for Sandy who looked remotely AFL grade and the rest looked pretty lost.
I agree with this
no player who played against williamstown could rightly claim being BEST on ground - they got well belted
And the game I saw via the feed at least Hickey got some massive forward movement gained
I was actually surprised by his left foot whacking the ball 40+mt against the wind in the last 1/4
Agree with Joyce and Paton having a sniff - but my money is on Gilbert you just know how our coaching staff thinks

Seeya
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 5:28pm

Deserves his call up.
My friend the Willy supporter reckons Hickey was the only player for Sandy who looked remotely AFL grade and the rest looked pretty lost.
I agree with this
no player who played against williamstown could rightly claim being BEST on ground - they got well belted
And the game I saw via the feed at least Hickey got some massive forward movement gained
I was actually surprised by his left foot whacking the ball 40+mt against the wind in the last 1/4
Agree with Joyce and Paton having a sniff - but my money is on Gilbert you just know how our coaching staff thinks
^ This.

Exactly right - Hickey was very serviceable and the rest might as well not have been out there. I watched it all - as bad as watching most Saints games this year but without the goals (if you can fathom that).

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

IN: Jarryn Geary, Darragh Joyce
OUT: Jimmy Webster (injured), Logan Austin

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 6:04pm
sunsaint wrote: Fri 29 Jun 2018 5:28pm

Deserves his call up.
I agree with this
^ This.

Exactly right - Hickey was very serviceable and the rest might as well not have been out there. I watched it all - as bad as watching most Saints games this year but without the goals (if you can fathom that).
I watched most of the first half and thought you couldn't take anything out of the game either way. Conditions were so bad I wouldn't put anyone down for their performance, but I also wouldn't be promoting anyone because of it.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sammy was at least BOG of all the Sandringham players.

Anyway all the Gilbert haters jumped too soon.