Throw decision against Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Throw decision against Ross

Only saw it on a screen, but .......?

So is every knock on or attempted knock on to now be penalized as a throw?

Ross never had the ball in 2 hands and was stumbling.

Wonder what the response of the Cartel that controls the AFL be?

We need Melbourne to play in the Finals?

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Throw decision against Ross

Bit unfortunate, but he should have closed his fist.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scooped it, which is a throw. Should have punched or slapped it.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 7:40pm Scooped it, which is a throw. Should have punched or slapped it.
He didn't scoop it. It wasn't a throw.

I doubt you even saw the match.

Watch the replay. Even the commentators said it was bulls***.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 7:45pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 7:40pm Scooped it, which is a throw. Should have punched or slapped it.

Nope, they never said that. They said it was harsh at worst.

Though they unanimously said the Lewis holding the ball was rubbish, what did you think of that one? :lol:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 8:05pm

Though they unanimously said the Lewis holding the ball was rubbish, what did you think of that one? :lol:
Are you areguing that Lewis had no chance to dispose of it?
So you would be prepared to give Ross the same amount of time when he dropped the mark??

The umpiring was shocking for and against - but how can you justify the change in earning of free kicks from 18 before half time to 5 after - did we change the way we played in the 3rd?

Or the Dees going from 11/12 to 17/16 after half time? Did they somehow become cleaner????

It was bad!

BTW are you the type of guy who goes to a Pride rally and condemns gay marriage?? This is a St Kilda Forum - do us all a favour and stop barracking for the umpires - it is getting tiresome!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
older saint
SS Life Member

To throw the ball by definition you must have possession of the ball it was a tap . You cant throw any ball you don't control. Consistent of the worst umpiring performance i have seen for many years ( both ways )

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 8:11pm

So you would be prepared to give Ross the same amount of time when he dropped the mark??

The umpiring was shocking for and against - but how can you justify the change in earning of free kicks from 18 before half time to 5 after - did we change the way we played in the 3rd?

Or the Dees going from 11/12 to 17/16 after half time? Did they somehow become cleaner????

It was bad!

BTW are you the type of guy who goes to a Pride rally and condemns gay marriage?? This is a St Kilda Forum - do us all a favour and stop barracking for the umpires - it is getting tiresome!
Plus one.

I doubt this guy is actually a saints supporter.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It was bad!

Plus one.

I doubt this guy is actually a saints supporter.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

:roll: 17 frees to 5 after half time and the dud thinks the umpires did a great job.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Certainly was, his hand moved in an upward motion however he never had control of it. You cannot throw a ball if you don't have control of it, it was a tap. Completely incompetent from the Umpire who had a good view of it (as I did) and he needs to be dropped.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sun 01 Jul 2018 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

umps were awful, almost always are. helped us in the first half, but went to far to try and even the ledger. just about got the dees home. both frees against ross were too soft given when and where they happened.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 8:26pm umps were awful, almost always are. helped us in the first half, but went to far to try and even the ledger. just about got the dees home. both frees against ross were too soft given when and where they happened.
They're awarding over technical rubbish and therefore there are too many freekicks. Most of them just don't have a feel for the game. How many of them have played the game at a reasonable level? It should be a mandatory requirement.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Cyril does it all the time and no it’s not a throw. It didn’t even go to a player on the full to give the umpire some sort of excuse to pay a throw. Poor umpiring.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
chico2001
Club Player

I thought The Ross one was a bad decision and the club needs to clarify it tomorrow. The umpiring standard has gone from average to bad. 4/10 from me.

The other one was a goal to Melbourne which was hit towards goal from a pack and there was a video review and it was awarded a goal. Looked like a point to me from my vantage point 600 miles away.No explanation was given.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Silly, at best, decision. The htb decision before that was harsh too, as well as a couple of oob on purpose. Umps seem to like drama and the side higher on the ladder. Hogan might well send the awarding ump(s) xmas cards. Gary Jr does similar all the time and it is considered so skilful.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

It was bad!

Both those decisions could have gone either way, but of the two, the Lewis decision was harsher than the Ross one.

I’m not justifying the umpiring at all, I just have the ability to call out a bad decision whether it goes for or against us, an ability many on here don’t have.

And with the free kick count, maybe it’s just because we gave away more free kicks in that half? Simple. Not a conspiracy... :roll:

There’s no rule anywhere saying the free kick count has to be even. Over on a Dees board someone said the first half was as close to match fixing (in our favour) as you can get. But I suppose he’s wrong and has no idea, and you’re 100% right? :roll:

This is a Saints forum, exactly!! So why do a certain few posters continually bring up umpiring every single week when there is no issue?!? They should start an umpiring forum and go over there and have their uniformed whinge! I have never started one thread on umpiring, I’ve just pointed out ridiculous comments some people have made. If you’re going to complain about the umpiring at least be objective about it. Believe it or not you can be both a Saints supporter and objective at the same time!

We had a great win and the run of the green with the umps, yet people are still whinging about them! If it were up to me we wouldn’t talk about the umpires at all, it’s pointless!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:20pm

It was bad!

Both those decisions could have gone either way, but of the two, the Lewis decision was harsher than the Ross one.

I’m not justifying the umpiring at all, I just have the ability to call out a bad decision whether it goes for or against us, an ability many on here don’t have.

And with the free kick count, maybe it’s just because we gave away more free kicks in that half? Simple. Not a conspiracy... :roll:

There’s no rule anywhere saying the free kick count has to be even. Over on a Dees board someone said the first half was as close to match fixing (in our favour) as you can get. But I suppose he’s wrong and has no idea, and you’re 100% right? :roll:

This is a Saints forum, exactly!! So why do a certain few posters continually bring up umpiring every single week when there is no issue?!? They should start an umpiring forum and go over there and have their uniformed whinge! I have never started one thread on umpiring, I’ve just pointed out ridiculous comments some people have made. If you’re going to complain about the umpiring at least be objective about it. Believe it or not you can be both a Saints supporter and objective at the same time!

We had a great win and the run of the green with the umps, yet people are still whinging about them! If it were up to me we wouldn’t talk about the umpires at all, it’s pointless!
It is a football forum ffs. Maggots are part of the picture unfortunately.

If you dont like seeing your heroes being critised, don't read the threads you don't like.

You don' t have to be insulting if you dont agree.

But it would seem this week you are in a minority of 1.

For the record, I have been reading your posts and I have a news flash for you.

You don' t have any ability to call out wrong decisions. Quite the contrary it would seem.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

your nic is so appropriate, you are a complete dud. It was clearly and open hand slap, he never took control of the ball at any stage. There is nothing in the rules to state that you cant hit the ball in the air with an open hand.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:39pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:20pm

It was bad!

It is a football forum ffs. Maggots are part of the picture unfortunately.

If you dont like seeing your heroes being critised, don't read the threads you don't like.

You don' t have to be insulting if you dont agree.

But it would seem this week you are in a minority of 1.

For the record, I have been reading your posts and I have a news flash for you.

You don' t have any ability to call out wrong decisions. Quite the contrary it would seem.
Please point out where I’ve been insulting. If unbiasedly pointing out facts insults you, then I think that’s more of your problem than mine. :)

chico2001
Club Player

Discussing the umpiring is part of any communication about the game , it always has been especially if there are several doubtful decisions which there was. That goes for all codes. Read the papers tomorrow and it will be in there, on the radio etc, everywhere. So it what is pointless about it? If you dont like it , then you dont criticise others for talking about it.

yes, there are no rules on free kick count being even for both teams, there is no conspiracy....I get that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:48pm Discussing the umpiring is part of any communication about the game , it always has been especially if there are several doubtful decisions which there was. That goes for all codes. Read the papers tomorrow and it will be in there, on the radio etc, everywhere. So it what is pointless about it? If you dont like it , then you dont criticise others for talking about it.

yes, there are no rules on free kick count being even for both teams, there is no conspiracy....I get that.
Thanking you for only the first para of your post chicko. :wink:

casey scorp
Club Player

It seemed to me that we did extremely well from the umpiring, particularly in the first half - happy to take them but sometimes you just have to pretend the umpire saw something you must have missed. But we got 3(?) goals from 50s, and then the calls for video reviews seemed completely unnecessary. 3 goals to MELBOURNE - each of which looked pretty clearly to be the case. But very very happy to leave the G with a win, particularly as my partner barracks for the Dees and we had a great afternoon together there. Oh, and the Ross decision was fine - he scooped it for sure. Mightn’t have meant too, but it certainly looked scooped.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:58pm It seemed to me that we did extremely well from the umpiring, particularly in the first half - happy to take them but sometimes you just have to pretend the umpire saw something you must have missed. But we got 3(?) goals from 50s, and then the calls for video reviews seemed completely unnecessary. 3 goals to MELBOURNE - each of which looked pretty clearly to be the case. But very very happy to leave the G with a win, particularly as my partner barracks for the Dees and we had a great afternoon together there. Oh, and the Ross decision was fine - he scooped it for sure. Mightn’t have meant too, but it certainly looked scooped.
Two of the video reviews may well have got it wrong.

The commentators all were in agreement that the dees player didn't actually connect his foot with the ball. Even the player shook his head. But the review only looked at whether the ball was touched or not before the line.

Wrong decision.

The second one Brown said that the ball grazes the padding at the top of the post.

The video review was inconclusive so the decision stood.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 10:10pm
casey scorp wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:58pm It seemed to me that we did extremely well from the umpiring, particularly in the first half - happy to take them but sometimes you just have to pretend the umpire saw something you must have missed. But we got 3(?) goals from 50s, and then the calls for video reviews seemed completely unnecessary. 3 goals to MELBOURNE - each of which looked pretty clearly to be the case. But very very happy to leave the G with a win, particularly as my partner barracks for the Dees and we had a great afternoon together there. Oh, and the Ross decision was fine - he scooped it for sure. Mightn’t have meant too, but it certainly looked scooped.
Two of the video reviews may well have got it wrong.

The commentators all were in agreement that the dees player didn't actually connect his foot with the ball. Even the player shook his head. But the review only looked at whether the ball was touched or not before the line.

Wrong decision.

The second one Brown said that the ball grazes the padding at the top of the post.

The video review was inconclusive so the decision stood.
The commentators said they couldn’t tell whether the ball hit his foot from the 2 dodgy replay angles. The umpire who was three meters away with a perfect angle on it was confident he kicked it, I’m thinking he’s probably got a better idea than anyone watching on a screen.