Would you back me?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

Re: Would you back me?

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 11:46am
ss1986 wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 1:00am
saynta wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 6:32pm You called him a no namer, I would call him a book keeping young nobody with an over inflated ego and sense of self worth, but lets not quibble over descriptive words.

I think he is done now, so that can only be a good thing.

Change is afoot by people who should know what they are doing within the club, and interlopers certainly wouldn't be doing the club or its supporter base, any favours.
You arent worth another bash of a keyboard button Saynta.

Linton Lodger- I actually really do appreciate the effort you took to deconstruct what I put together and floated out there.

I never proclaimed to have all the answers, never had a sense of self inflated ego... just a passion for the St.Kilda FC like everyone else around here.

Only you have attempted to put forward your own views- some I agree with, others not, but I am done. I wrote the original post in early May - as more becomes apparent, Kingsley may indeed not be the guy we’d plump for.

But whatever.

I dont wish to fight on. Not because I feel defeated, but because it’s a pure waste of my time talking to people like those who felt the need to shoot me down over irrelevant issues such as lack of historic membership (when Simon Lethlean for example would never have held a Saints membership prior to this year)... or because I am young and presented some ideas.

I actually feel a bit sorry for particular members here.... they desperately cling to the past, attach their self worth to the limited $$ they contribute and attack new thinking out of fear of becoming completely irrelevant.

Problem is, they already are and the club reflects it.
Oh FFS, Lethlean is a paid employee of the football club, there is absolutely no reason for him to have been a paid up member before he was employed. Board members of the football club, however are volunteers and DO NOT GET PAID, they are voted into office by members of the football club. Therefore if they want my vote they must fill two criteria, they must bring a high degree of business acumen, and they must be a financial member of the club BEFORE they are elected to the board.
You have no idea, your manifesto was an absolute joke and clearly displayed that you are so far out of your depth.
If you didn't bother to read that I would become a member before anything was to happen, then I can't be bothered with a detailed response.

I look forward to hearing your ideas which would put my joke of a manifesto to shame though.

For what it's worth - Jaxons, who is probably one of the most respected posters on this forum, thought I just about nailed it. So really, from an insider, I'll take solace in his feedback and completely disregard yours as just another opinion from someone who has very little idea themselves.

barneyboyz
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 7:28pm Unlike Trump, I’m in it for the good of the club.

Just dont know how to go about it formally and how a ‘pleb’ would be received.

With mixed emotions it seems... but I dont proclaim to have every answer.

Would refine the rougher parts of the strategy. This is just a start. Buy-in from everyone is the way forward!
Some of the biggest clubs have just had the best people for the job. We, on the other hand have many times tried with insiders, and that's worked a treat :roll: , so I say why not?

I would also say that with AFLW, we have gone down a road that shouldn't be reversed, i.e. women's football is only going to get bigger and yes, we should be part of that. The other stuff just bemuses me

So,ultimately I think it will come down to funds. The only way Eddie and Co. can stand up to the AFL is $$$ you find this, and I'm yours

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 12:05pm
BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 11:46am
ss1986 wrote: Wed 13 Jun 2018 1:00am
saynta wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 6:32pm You called him a no namer, I would call him a book keeping young nobody with an over inflated ego and sense of self worth, but lets not quibble over descriptive words.

I think he is done now, so that can only be a good thing.

Change is afoot by people who should know what they are doing within the club, and interlopers certainly wouldn't be doing the club or its supporter base, any favours.
You arent worth another bash of a keyboard button Saynta.

Linton Lodger- I actually really do appreciate the effort you took to deconstruct what I put together and floated out there.

I never proclaimed to have all the answers, never had a sense of self inflated ego... just a passion for the St.Kilda FC like everyone else around here.

Only you have attempted to put forward your own views- some I agree with, others not, but I am done. I wrote the original post in early May - as more becomes apparent, Kingsley may indeed not be the guy we’d plump for.

But whatever.

I dont wish to fight on. Not because I feel defeated, but because it’s a pure waste of my time talking to people like those who felt the need to shoot me down over irrelevant issues such as lack of historic membership (when Simon Lethlean for example would never have held a Saints membership prior to this year)... or because I am young and presented some ideas.

I actually feel a bit sorry for particular members here.... they desperately cling to the past, attach their self worth to the limited $$ they contribute and attack new thinking out of fear of becoming completely irrelevant.

Problem is, they already are and the club reflects it.
Oh FFS, Lethlean is a paid employee of the football club, there is absolutely no reason for him to have been a paid up member before he was employed. Board members of the football club, however are volunteers and DO NOT GET PAID, they are voted into office by members of the football club. Therefore if they want my vote they must fill two criteria, they must bring a high degree of business acumen, and they must be a financial member of the club BEFORE they are elected to the board.
You have no idea, your manifesto was an absolute joke and clearly displayed that you are so far out of your depth.
If you didn't bother to read that I would become a member before anything was to happen, then I can't be bothered with a detailed response.

I look forward to hearing your ideas which would put my joke of a manifesto to shame though.

For what it's worth - Jaxons, who is probably one of the most respected posters on this forum, thought I just about nailed it. So really, from an insider, I'll take solace in his feedback and completely disregard yours as just another opinion from someone who has very little idea themselves.
Do you see what your problem here is? questions...you allow questions :wink: The likes of Donald Trump, and any other world leader (past and present) just get their message out, NO QUESTIONS. I appreciate much of what the original post meant, and it should have stayed pretty much there, until later of course. But you have fallen into one of the biggest traps of modern politics and started getting caught in the narrative, and on a pretty volatile forum too I might add.

I expect this might be due to your age??? If you do indeed have such desires as to steer this sinking ship straight, along with the ability to do so, it's probably best not to get into fights here. Get your dots & tee's right, and have a proper go

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
amusingname
Club Player

A few points that I still don't get. What would the city group actually be involved in? Private ownership won't be allowed by the AFL, quite simply because it dilutes the pool of money that would be disbursed for any rights deals and changes the dynamics of the competition.

Along the same lines, why develop Moorabbin into a boutique stadium when it is clear that it won't be used? Again, it is against the best interests of the AFL to allow that and they would not schedule games there as they own Etihad/Marvel stadium, so any gate receipts they get there are going to be better than what they get at a club owned ground.

I am all for changing if there is some realistic possibility of it resulting in benefit for the club, but there is no point in proposing action that is not going to be possible as the league still schedules the matches and the venues, its not up to the club in reality. It just reminds me of high school class captain campaigns, say you will get better food in the tuckshop to get everyone excited and vote for you, but the school still is the one who runs the thing and makes the real decisions (not meaning to belittle you, just the analogy I thought of.)

Also, I don't get why the 'cause' games are an issue? because some of the supporters don't agree? I have heard others saying that we should just focus on footy and not care about these kind of games. I am certain that the football department have no involvement in the planning or running of these games or events, so it really is a business and image decision that has nothing to do with the football department. Again, a platform for a football club in this day and age of 'we don't care about any cause or issue, only football' won't be accepted by the league or the community, we don't exist in a bubble where we get media coverage and money from that coverage, but don't engage or participate in anything happening in the greater society.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

mmmmm yes ... the ol ... know your 'product' lesson

know it insideout upsidedown & backdafunk

then , you've won the war before even stepping onto the battlefield

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
some muppet

ss1986 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 11:02am I’m 32 - work in an accounting firm as a Senior Manager.

I am not rich, I dont drive a flashy car, and I’m just an everyday bloke who grew up in Lalor.

I dont have any great connections, but I do have contact with the family owners of one of our major sponsors.

I’d have the backing of the accounting firm behind me that offers a wide range of professional services that could benefit the club.

Never been more passionate however about the St.Kilda and I’d make sure we as supporters are heard in the media and at the AFL like never before.

I’ve bawled my eyes out for this club. Danced on seats when we’ve won....

All I want is someone passionate to stand for the things all of our supporters do- the thing we have in common... which is the drug that is the Saints.

I want to see 80 year old grannies crying when we win a GF. I want to see my 58 year old Dad who was too young for 66 to do the same.

Only thing is; I havent been a member out of principal against this shocking regime, which i think many would hold against me.

But would you vote for someone like me if we had a chance?

I’ve never been more serious in all my life....
yes! i'd back you!

i have some terms though. (look upon them as a cunning muppet plan.)

a spot on your board for animal, or at least as team mascot. come on! one more muppet in there couldn't hurt. and think of the publicity.

i'd also want all club correspondence to use the muppet cursive script font. it's a baby boomer thing. your dad would understand. :D

otherwise, i have a cunning muppet plan b.

keep your powder dry. (like billy seems to do, coz he rarely fires a shot.) think about playing a longer game? (though not billy.)

at this stage, don't worry about getting on the board. Justtalk to your corporate contacts, and bring them to our club.

that'd massively help our club,

and............................

build you a 'profile' to leverage upon when you make a future run for the board. :idea:

outside66
Club Player

Ineteresting points. I don't agree with all but I agree with most. Below is a post I made back in November which I had also sent in to the club - with no response and many issues are still relevant today. I'd back you in, perhaps not as the President but certainly to get on the board. Our board is way out of tune with what works and what doesn't in this day and age. I'm 30 and I believe that I could offer more than what the club does by way of social/fan engagement. If you want any help/would like to discuss a proposal over a few beers then send me a PM!

Re: Revised title: How can the Saints retain members better?
Post by outside66 » Tue 14 Nov 2017 2:21pm

How can the Saints retain and recruit new members?

- Piss off the useless bumper stickers. My one from 2006 looks almost brand new whereas this years one didn't even last until round 1. Same rubbish, i've had to put on 2 new ones to-date

- If you are going to be 'Pride' ambassadors then that shouldn't only occur when it's our home game against the Swans i.e. The Swans held the Pride Match this year yet when we hosted them earlier in the year, there was little to no noise there. I felt that this was an opportunity missed to continue that momentum and it smelt abit like tokenism (I know the club feels strongly about this matter but what would it have cost to have had Pride Matches whenever we play Sydney?)

- Be more flexible with the Sign-a-saint program re rewards. For example, if you recruited 5 or more new members you got the good prize (2 x B&F tickets). I recruited 10 new members but I could only get the reward for having signed 5. Sick of the club's tight ass attitude when it comes to things that cost them nothing.

- Don't have Roo's final training session in Seaford, especially on a Thursday afternoon. No one wants to go there period and I'm sure we could have found an alternative venue i.e. TBO, Junction Oval, Ormond Football Ground FFS! This was a missed opportunity to contribute towards attracting the next wave of young fans. *** they stuffed up similarly again this year with Monty's 'half lap of dishonour'...

- Be proud about being in Moorabbin! The corner of Linton St and South Road is an absolute disgrace! How much would it cost to re-paint that sign-thing? That said, it's probably deliberate in that they want it to look like the bumper stickers. Also, that crappy st kilda sheet/sign on the fence looks like it belongs at the Laverton Trash and Treasure. I would also like to see a massive St Kilda flag at Moorabbin whilst I'm at it. I have sent an email about this and got a 'thanks for the feedback'. Still looks disgraceful and is not reflective of an AFL team's head quarters.

- Get rid of the pokies. Our 'social club' is the most pathetic area I have ever been into. There is a more livelier atmosphere at the Alfred Hospital. We can't be sending 'anti-gambling' messages whilst we continue to make profits from the disadvantaged. Get an imagination and make money elsewhere. The new Moorabbin Social is just a shinier sh!thole that's purpose built for pokies. Very disappointing.

- They need to nail the revamped social club i.e. good food, drinks, entertainment etc. The only place you can have a beer and boogie in the area on a Saturday night is at the Sandbelt over-30s in which I'd rather pump coins at the St Kilda F.C Social Club. This would also generate plenty of cash if done well. A big fail here as above. Can't even get a dim-sim

- One thing they could certainly do, is announce which celebrities/personalities are St Kilda Members, and call out those who arent, as they are the ones who certainly wouldn't require a payment plan. I know for a fact that Glenn Maxwell is not a member yet gets given choice seats in level 2 from the club, WTF!? I could give you the membership ad for that right now - Imagine Warnie giving Maxwell s*** about not being a member, Maxwell tries to defend himself and says well if Eric Bana isn't a member then why should I, in which Eric pops up and says that he is and for Maxwell to stop being a tightass and pay up? If they really do love the club then I'm sure they would be willing to help out for nothing.

- Another membership ad campaign that could be done would be to utilise Eric Bana in reprising his roles from Full Frontal in which they are all Saints Members calling out Saints members etc!

- The Saints should contact Melbourne Storm and asked them for tips on how they run things. They are amazing in how they treat their members.

- Have a meeting where ALL members are invited, not just social club, and actually reward members by treating them as members when it comes to decision making

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We will continue to struggle on field unless we get success on field. Everthing else will flourish and money and sponsors will arrive, so we'll have neon signs all over Moorabbin. When Ross Lyon left St Kilda we had a chance to get Mick Malthouse and we thought of individuals instead of thinking club first. Same with the decision of Richo ahead of Mark Williams.

I think we must try and get a high profile coach and that will assist to lure some high profile players.

The Butters/Thomas team era is the template where we were bold enough to try Tim Watson and Malcolm Blight. Grant Thomas reckons we need Clarko and I agree. Perhaps, a recently retired player like Sam Mitchell might open the door to other ex Hawthorn players and assistant coaches.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

not a chance

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Everybody has a use by date. Clarko must be finding it hard to keep the fire burning. Malthouse burnt out, even Lethal knew when to call time. The trick is to get the "hungry" new person just as the list ripens. Rough profile would be some one that has played AFL but not been a star, some good coaching experience but not years of apprenticeship; a la Bevo. Timing is everything, other than bounce of the ball of course, and another unintended consequence of extending AR is that we are unable to snaffle any emerging gun coaches for two years and will need to deal with what is available in 2020/2021, and that is several careers away. I hope we start thinking succession soon. Make that KPI for Richo.