Cyril Rioli retires!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ss1986
Club Player

Re: Cyril Rioli retires!!!!!

saynta wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 3:20pm
ss1986 wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 3:05pm About time you have a holiday saynta....

Your incessant attacks are disappointing.
And your comments about a champion of the game are way off.
That’s your opinion and that is fine.

But stop attacking me personally.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 3:21pm
saynta wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 3:20pm
ss1986 wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 3:05pm About time you have a holiday saynta....

Your incessant attacks are disappointing.
And your comments about a champion of the game are way off.
That’s your opinion and that is fine.

But stop attacking me personally.
:roll:

All I said was:

"ss1986 is the bloke who wanted us to back him to run the club.

He had to be kidding."

You were weren't you? Since when has been being factual been a personal attack?

Your attack on a champion of the game confirms my original thoughts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 4465a68c6a

DERMOTT BRERETON, Herald Sun

WHAT makes a sportsman great?

Is it his ability to gather votes from umpires, from scribes, from his coaches?

Is it his ability to amass possessions in large numbers?

Or is it his ability to swing games through moments of sheer artistic and majestic brilliance?

Because if it is the latter, Cyril is a true great — no argument.

First, in respect for Cyril Rioli and the issues that have seen him return to his home up north recently, we wish him nothing but good health, good luck and a joyous, happy life ahead.

In a weird, selfish way, I am glad that I don’t get to see Cyril the footballer age.

To remember him and his playing brilliance this way, until this point in time, is all we should ever want to recall.

Some of us footballers go on too long because we love the game pretty well more than anything else in life. Then we grow up and start to see the world in a different light.

But because Cyril is bowing out now, he retires without ever having played a bad game. He may have had quiet games, but never a bad one.

In so-called modern times there are only two others to rival Cyril in extraordinary deeds, perhaps his old mate Buddy Franklin and Gary Ablett Sr.
Good luck catching Junior and Buddy.

Both have highlight tapes that are just as interesting to watch.

But even then, Franklin and Ablett did what they do by a mixture of raw athleticism and power.

Cyril wove his magic as if it was an art form. And no one before or since he started, has come close to the same finished work of art.

Some like Eddie Betts and Robbie Gray may use similar brushstrokes, but Cyril’s body of work is an original masterpiece.

I’ve never seen a player, ever, in the thousands of games I have witnessed, that makes me laugh like Cyril does.

Cyril could make players look plain and simply silly.

Those that hadn’t experienced playing against him, just could not be prepared enough for what he could throw at them. Those that had played against him before, dreaded the return.

When Collingwood were at the top under Mick Malthouse, he had a winning edge with some seriously good players.

Back then Herretier LaMumba was known as Harry O’Brien. He was a fantastic player that could take on the opposition’s forward pressure player, sidestep around them and skate downfield and kick the ball to Collingwood’s great advantage.
Poor Heritier Lumumba — then Harry O’Brien — never stood a chance.

I recall the first time he took on Cyril. Rioli gobbled him up in the tackle. The result was a Hawthorn goal.

As good as Heretier was, Cyril terrorised him to the point where Heretier got the football version of on-field paralysis with the ball.

In fact, in an era where some cricketing greats struck fear into the hearts of their opponents, like Brett Lee would with short pitched bowling at their heads at 150kmh, Shane Warne came along and made them fear for their future in the game because of his sheer brilliance and artistry.

Rioli was the equivalent in football. He wasn’t going to pulverise you like Plugger Lockett would. He was simply going to make you look inadequate.

Some players have a great sidestep. Think Scott Pendlebury. His MO is to load up as if kicking on his preferred left foot, commit the opposition to the smother, dart back inside onto the right foot and run away full steam ahead.

Rioli is the only player I have seen who does not load up on either side when affecting a baulk or sidestep.

He keeps an even weight distribution on both feet and that leaves him the option of exiting to the side least likely and least suspected. Maybe there is one other player who has done this — another Rioli by the name of Maurice.
Cyril possessed the same remarkable body control as Maurice Rioli.

I used to joke with my colleagues in the media (especially the Geelong supporters) that they would never see Cyril get tackled because his awareness was so good. He was so good, even if Cyril couldn’t see them, he could hear their breath.

There were moments when it was as if you could blindfold Cyril, put him in the centre of a pack and he would still find his way out.

In the 2008 Grand Final Hawthorn was hanging in there, but the task was still monumental.

Geelong was on the verge of becoming a great team. They had everything on field that a club could want.

It was just a matter of time until the Cats started kicking straight and the ball game would be over. The Hawks were giving their all, but like every team has in such a game, they had their moments of doubt, moments where they had hoped to win.

But when Cyril Rioli took on two Geelong players in the shadows of the members stand and he dispossessed them single-handedly, in that moment Hawthorn truly believed.

But then a player like Rioli was purely a ground-level crumbing player. And an expert tackler.

Maybe only Tony Liberatore can match him as the greatest tackler we’ve seen.

Libba did it through tenacity and will. Cyril had a quicker reaction time than any other footballer I have seen.

All these attributes should mean that Cyril had no right to be proficient as an overhead mark. But he was, in fact he went desperately close to taking mark of the year on several occasions.
A rare photograph of the only time someone ever outran Cyril Rioli.

In the 2012 Grand Final Lewis Jetta with his straight-line speed took on Cyril and won.

It was an amazing duel. Slow motion footage from the front showed that Jetta couldn’t just run in a perfect straight line like Usain Bolt. He had to throw in a little sideways veering movement every 10 steps or so.

Rioli would close every 5th or 6th step and Jetta would throw in the shimmy. It was brilliant to watch.

Just like in the real world, the cheetah doesn’t always catch and kill the deer.

I have played with some of the game’s very greatest, the best of all time. Matthews, Dunstall, Knights, Platten and later on Nathan Buckley just to name a few.

Played against Lockett, Ablett, Carey, Silvagni, Madden and Doull.

Since retirement I’ve seen Hird, Voss, Judd, Jonathon Brown and Nick Riewoldt.

All have been phenomenal and had wonderful careers.

But no one has ever given me the sheer enjoyment of watching our sport like Cyril Rioli has.

Thank you Junior, and good luck.

Premium89
Club Player

Such a n incredible footy player - loved watching him play.
Much like Rooey did for CHF's, he lifted the benchmark for other players in that position.
Leaves behind one of the most incredible highlight reels.
FWIW, some of my favourite Cyril moments are the hard working ones - the chase down/harass tackles, intercepts and taps to advantage.
Brilliant player, no matter how much you want to argue over what the stats say compared to others.

Reckon the media coverage can feel a little overblown to the cynical amongst us, simply because he didn't make a big song and dance about it (no massive press conference etc etc), so the media are left to fill the vacuum with talking heads, highlight reels etc etc.
I say bring it on, Cyril Made watching the footy an absolute joy from time to time, and we should all love the players who make our game better to watch!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 5:00pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 4465a68c6a

DERMOTT BRERETON, Herald Sun

WHAT makes a sportsman great?

Is it his ability to gather votes from umpires, from scribes, from his coaches?

Is it his ability to amass possessions in large numbers?

Or is it his ability to swing games through moments of sheer artistic and majestic brilliance?

Because if it is the latter, Cyril is a true great — no argument.

First, in respect for Cyril Rioli and the issues that have seen him return to his home up north recently, we wish him nothing but good health, good luck and a joyous, happy life ahead.

In a weird, selfish way, I am glad that I don’t get to see Cyril the footballer age.

To remember him and his playing brilliance this way, until this point in time, is all we should ever want to recall.

Some of us footballers go on too long because we love the game pretty well more than anything else in life. Then we grow up and start to see the world in a different light.

But because Cyril is bowing out now, he retires without ever having played a bad game. He may have had quiet games, but never a bad one.

In so-called modern times there are only two others to rival Cyril in extraordinary deeds, perhaps his old mate Buddy Franklin and Gary Ablett Sr.
Good luck catching Junior and Buddy.

Both have highlight tapes that are just as interesting to watch.

But even then, Franklin and Ablett did what they do by a mixture of raw athleticism and power.

Cyril wove his magic as if it was an art form. And no one before or since he started, has come close to the same finished work of art.

Some like Eddie Betts and Robbie Gray may use similar brushstrokes, but Cyril’s body of work is an original masterpiece.

I’ve never seen a player, ever, in the thousands of games I have witnessed, that makes me laugh like Cyril does.

Cyril could make players look plain and simply silly.

Those that hadn’t experienced playing against him, just could not be prepared enough for what he could throw at them. Those that had played against him before, dreaded the return.

When Collingwood were at the top under Mick Malthouse, he had a winning edge with some seriously good players.

Back then Herretier LaMumba was known as Harry O’Brien. He was a fantastic player that could take on the opposition’s forward pressure player, sidestep around them and skate downfield and kick the ball to Collingwood’s great advantage.
Poor Heritier Lumumba — then Harry O’Brien — never stood a chance.

I recall the first time he took on Cyril. Rioli gobbled him up in the tackle. The result was a Hawthorn goal.

As good as Heretier was, Cyril terrorised him to the point where Heretier got the football version of on-field paralysis with the ball.

In fact, in an era where some cricketing greats struck fear into the hearts of their opponents, like Brett Lee would with short pitched bowling at their heads at 150kmh, Shane Warne came along and made them fear for their future in the game because of his sheer brilliance and artistry.

Rioli was the equivalent in football. He wasn’t going to pulverise you like Plugger Lockett would. He was simply going to make you look inadequate.

Some players have a great sidestep. Think Scott Pendlebury. His MO is to load up as if kicking on his preferred left foot, commit the opposition to the smother, dart back inside onto the right foot and run away full steam ahead.

Rioli is the only player I have seen who does not load up on either side when affecting a baulk or sidestep.

He keeps an even weight distribution on both feet and that leaves him the option of exiting to the side least likely and least suspected. Maybe there is one other player who has done this — another Rioli by the name of Maurice.
Cyril possessed the same remarkable body control as Maurice Rioli.

I used to joke with my colleagues in the media (especially the Geelong supporters) that they would never see Cyril get tackled because his awareness was so good. He was so good, even if Cyril couldn’t see them, he could hear their breath.

There were moments when it was as if you could blindfold Cyril, put him in the centre of a pack and he would still find his way out.

In the 2008 Grand Final Hawthorn was hanging in there, but the task was still monumental.

Geelong was on the verge of becoming a great team. They had everything on field that a club could want.

It was just a matter of time until the Cats started kicking straight and the ball game would be over. The Hawks were giving their all, but like every team has in such a game, they had their moments of doubt, moments where they had hoped to win.

But when Cyril Rioli took on two Geelong players in the shadows of the members stand and he dispossessed them single-handedly, in that moment Hawthorn truly believed.

But then a player like Rioli was purely a ground-level crumbing player. And an expert tackler.

Maybe only Tony Liberatore can match him as the greatest tackler we’ve seen.

Libba did it through tenacity and will. Cyril had a quicker reaction time than any other footballer I have seen.

All these attributes should mean that Cyril had no right to be proficient as an overhead mark. But he was, in fact he went desperately close to taking mark of the year on several occasions.
A rare photograph of the only time someone ever outran Cyril Rioli.

In the 2012 Grand Final Lewis Jetta with his straight-line speed took on Cyril and won.

It was an amazing duel. Slow motion footage from the front showed that Jetta couldn’t just run in a perfect straight line like Usain Bolt. He had to throw in a little sideways veering movement every 10 steps or so.

Rioli would close every 5th or 6th step and Jetta would throw in the shimmy. It was brilliant to watch.

Just like in the real world, the cheetah doesn’t always catch and kill the deer.

I have played with some of the game’s very greatest, the best of all time. Matthews, Dunstall, Knights, Platten and later on Nathan Buckley just to name a few.

Played against Lockett, Ablett, Carey, Silvagni, Madden and Doull.

Since retirement I’ve seen Hird, Voss, Judd, Jonathon Brown and Nick Riewoldt.

All have been phenomenal and had wonderful careers.

But no one has ever given me the sheer enjoyment of watching our sport like Cyril Rioli has.

Thank you Junior, and good luck.
What a ridiculous puff piece
He’s now better for enjoyment to watch than : Brown, Judd, Riewoldt and a better tackler than Libba

I’ve heard it all.....just over the top

You can bet if he played for Saints Dummets article would’ve been :

“Good player , but was he a great?....Im not so sure as he would often fade in games.....”

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Good player who could definitely turn it on but he kept going missing in games.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Bemused by Hodge being considered up there with Plugger and Ablett lol

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 2:34pm What is this utter crap about premierships?

It’s an obsession for fanboys to demonstrate how great Cyril was but is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Cameron Mooney won 3 premierships ffs.

Does that make him better than Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett or Plugger for that matter?

No. He won a premiership medallion without getting a touch.

It’s the stupidest “stat” in football. It’s a far greater achievement doing what Lockett did in some very ordinary teams with teammates like Jayson Daniels as opposed to Shaun Burgoyne et al.

Cyril did absolutely nothing in a hell of a lot of games - so to say you never “saw him lose a game for Hawthorn” is also utter bulltish. I saw him “cheat” a hell of a lot. In a crap team, he would have been a GOP at best. Was pure luxury in a good team, and highlighted by the fact he couldnt get near the pill in the last 2 years when Hawthorn have dropped away.
Disagree with a lot of what you wrote but agree on the premiership discussion. I think what becomes relevant is what you did on GF day when the team wins and also what you did that year to help your team win a premiership. Some players are role players (we had more than a few in 2010 - and they would have been premiership players but a bounce of the ball) Others are superstars in a champion team. they're the blokes that make the team special. The Lenny hayes, BJ, Riewoldts etc. We win these guys are immortalised because they were the stars that made that flag happen (if it had happened)

I place Cyril in that category. Cam Mooney wasn't a complete spud btw. He was crap in 99, but was a key player in 07 and 09 and deserves the credits that go with being called a premiership player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What?
Which clown said that....utter garbage
These modern day clowns become champions after a good game ffs

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 04 Jul 2018 4:50pm Adam Schneider had very similar statistics....

15 touches, 4 tackles and a goal a game. 5 Grand Finals and a Premiership medallion.

This horsesh*t about Cyril being one of the best of all time is embarrassing.

Please go away.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 05 Jul 2018 11:31pm Good player who could definitely turn it on but he kept going missing in games.

Yeah went missing in a few of those GFs. Didn't win the Norm in four of them.

Cyril was a champion. The ones that dispute are bitter about the Hawks success or just plainly don't watch other teams play outside of them playing the Saints.

Exclusively HFF who dominated in the middle in his short time there but had to stay forward due to his hammies in the end.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

The stats don't measure those miraculous little taps that Cyril would do to set up a goal.
So many of those touches led to significant moments that changed games.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
saintbob
SS Life Member

An absolute freak, who I always enjoyed watching.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Fri 06 Jul 2018 4:07pm An absolute freak, who I always enjoyed watching.
Me too saintbob. Just like I ENJOY watching the talents and skill of Eddie Betts and, also very much Milney when he was playing.

They all look as though they enjoy playing the game, they give it that added sparkle and feeling of WOW 😲 how on earth did they pull that trick out from a seemingly impossible situation?

I just wasn’t too confident when Saints were playing Hawks or Adelaide........ although I don’t know why I worried so much, our much maligned Geary kept both of them rather quiet a number of times.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I say we give Cyril a call at the end of next season, or get his mate and cousin Ben Long to ring him.

Would be a handy addition to our 2020 push for a premiership and will have had a year to recover from all those niggles

saint64
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 11:48am I say we give Cyril a call at the end of next season, or get his mate and cousin Ben Long to ring him.

Would be a handy addition to our 2020 push for a premiership and will have had a year to recover from all those niggles
+1

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 11:48am I say we give Cyril a call at the end of next season, or get his mate and cousin Ben Long to ring him.

Let's extend the idea even further...Why not get an indigenous dominant team orchestrated with the likes of Paddy Ryder playing ruck who should be ooc by then. Gresh, Ben Long and Izak Rankine running amok...

Mark Williams to come to us as assistant coach. X Clarke could possibly be number 1 cockroach. :idea: :idea: