Saints in box seat for McGovern

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Saints in box seat for McGovern

:shock:
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 9:41pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 3:41pm Joffa Burns, I didn't know you were Colin Young's right hand man at some dodgy GWS business lunch! Lol!
The lol is you have me as a right hand man in a business I wouldn't invest in at one time earnings when I'm regularly happy to pay six if there is enough blue sky.

Oh but it is managing AFL players and you pretend to be an ITK on a footy forum so if being the right hand man in a tin shed player management company floats your boat and is your dream role knock yourself out.

Better yet make up some more of your stories like "I'm told" or "whisper is" lol you are a funny little twerp.

Being the right hand man at a small agency is your life's ambition and you probably idolize a fat turd eating criminal like Rob Hession :lol: :lol:
Whisper is Joffa Burns can't handle a whisper. :shock:

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Whisper away young parkey

Nectar to the ears.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 12:15am Whisper away young parkey

Nectar to the ears.
You love a good whisper Mr Con.

You can't keep off the drug that is Saintsational.net

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 12:26am
Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 12:15am Whisper away young parkey

Nectar to the ears.
You love a good whisper Mr Con.

You can't keep off the drug that is Saintsational.net

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Who is that? Ron Howard off Happy Days?

groupie1
Club Player

The_President wrote: Mon 19 Mar 2018 7:27pm Offering huge money for one player is never going to end well and it will never lead to success.

Would rather go get Marcus Adams from the Doggies. Struggled with injury last year and hurt an ankle in the pre-season and will miss the first half of the season.

Would probably come cheaply.

Tall, athletic, brave defender that reads the play well and cuts off opposition ball.

Pay him $400k or pay McGovern $1m or something stupid.

I know what I'd prefer
bulls***. F Gehrig and A Hamill prove you absolutely wrong. We should be trying to snare both McGoverns, at whatever cost.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes to snaring...NO to 'at whatever cost'

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

McGovern staying at Wet Toast for 5 years

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 4:24pm McGovern staying at Wet Toast for 5 years
Bummer and he has signed a massive deal. Don't like our chances of attracting his brother Mitch now. It might push Gaff out the door, but we aren't a chance of getting him. Word is he is going to resign with the Eagles too.

Like Sloane, the FA's are proving pretty loyal these days. Goddard's move seems a bit abnormal now.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 4:52pm
Jacks Back wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 4:24pm McGovern staying at Wet Toast for 5 years
Bummer and he has signed a massive deal. Don't like our chances of attracting his brother Mitch now. It might push Gaff out the door, but we aren't a chance of getting him. Word is he is going to resign with the Eagles too.

Like Sloane, the FA's are proving pretty loyal these days. Goddard's move seems a bit abnormal now.
For the sake of stating facts - Goddard's move had very little to do with the player and everything to do with the shambolic management of our own salary cap in the late 2000's. Regardless of whether you like him or not - Pelchen has spoken of the debacle when he was hired. That is, the club had no TPP committee or list management committee and had allowed our 2012 cap to balloon to such a position that 63 percent of the total cap was being spent on 10 players. Goddard quite rightly went searching for a remuneration package commensurate with his skills, experience and standing within the game. We'd simply mismanaged our position to such an extent that Brendan really didn't have much option to go elsewhere given what we were able to afford to pay him. No brainer.

As an editorial aside - FA is a complete and utter crock. It was introduced to appease the PA to (1) Allow players to move more freely between clubs and (2) as a by product, equalise the clubs with the pool of talent distribution. It's barely achieved 1 and most definitely not 2.

Until the AFL somehow re-jigs FA to ensure there's restrictions on who can move where (i.e. a FA agent can't move to a team that's finished higher than 5th in the previous season etc) - then the successful clubs will likely stay that way and the rest won't rise any time soon.

Go you red, black & white warriors
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The extra 15% added to the salary cap last year pretty much removed any chance of clubs with 'war chests' prying players out of clubs with the lure of $$'s.

Awful timing for us really.

wally
Club Player

I think the writing was on the wall re Goddard, we were heading down and success window gone, that's ok. then crap offered to stay.
Dal I think wanted to stay but was pushed out for draft picks.

Gary Ablett's efforts with the suns is what other people are looking at and staying put.
Buddy on the other hand took the money and has a chance of success.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I think that box seat is in the outside dummy.
Beware the red back spider if you sit down.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 5:18pm As an editorial aside - FA is a complete and utter crock. It was introduced to appease the PA to (1) Allow players to move more freely between clubs and (2) as a by product, equalise the clubs with the pool of talent distribution. It's barely achieved 1 and most definitely not 2.

Until the AFL somehow re-jigs FA to ensure there's restrictions on who can move where (i.e. a FA agent can't move to a team that's finished higher than 5th in the previous season etc) - then the successful clubs will likely stay that way and the rest won't rise any time soon.
(3) by the players association so that Luke Ball was able to pretend to a victim instead of a rat.

Free agency fine, but you can not move up the ladder, you can only go to a club lower down the ladder.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Just use our draft picks wisely. In McGovern's draft we took Tom Curren and Warrick Andreoli before J. McGovern was taken. Lethlean is so right to have tapped Elshaugh. Look at the opportunity cost just in that episode and the use of Pick 1 on Paddy. Makes me weep - the shocking incompetence.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 9:05pm Just use our draft picks wisely. In McGovern's draft we took Tom Curren and Warrick Andreoli before J. McGovern was taken. Lethlean is so right to have tapped Elshaugh. Look at the opportunity cost just in that episode and the use of Pick 1 on Paddy. Makes me weep - the shocking incompetence.
How many times do supporters have to be told that nearly all clubs had Paddy at either 1 or 2 in that draft

And for what it is worth 17 other clubs bypassed McGovern 6 or 7 times EACH

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 8:22pm
Saintmatt wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 5:18pm As an editorial aside - FA is a complete and utter crock. It was introduced to appease the PA to (1) Allow players to move more freely between clubs and (2) as a by product, equalise the clubs with the pool of talent distribution. It's barely achieved 1 and most definitely not 2.

(3) by the players association so that Luke Ball was able to pretend to a victim instead of a rat.

Free agency fine, but you can not move up the ladder, you can only go to a club lower down the ladder.
Those poor Carlton players.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

LOL

So a WA boy born and bred was going to leave a behemoth top 4 club who pull huge crowds and play in a brand new stadium to go across the country and play with the Saints.

Seriously FFS.

Parkey - you need to stop making these utterly ridiculous predictions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 9:05pm Just use our draft picks wisely. In McGovern's draft we took Tom Curren and Warrick Andreoli before J. McGovern was taken. Lethlean is so right to have tapped Elshaugh. Look at the opportunity cost just in that episode and the use of Pick 1 on Paddy. Makes me weep - the shocking incompetence.

That is seriously depressing.
I dont even remember Andreoli at all.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:14pm

That is seriously depressing.
I dont even remember Andreoli at all.
I think you have it with fries or on sandwiches.

takeaway
Club Player

McGovern was taken pick 44 in rookie draft for 2011 (held in 2010) so every club missed him a number of times. Not even sure Elshaug was in charge at that time - thought he took over in 2011. John Peake left at the end of 2010.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

J. McGovern's selection was nothing more than a rookie draft gamble many years back. He could have easily not even been picked up by an AFL club at all. Guess the other 17 clubs had no idea either back then too.

Plus any of the 18 clubs (if they had pick 1 to 2) would have selected Paddy. FACT.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:35pm Update: We are still in the box seat for McGovern. We are now looking at his brother from the Crows too.
I wonder what box seat actually means?
Well literally it refers to the coach driver on a horse drawn carriage, but in parkeysainter terms what does box seat mean?

When it comes to McGovern he had no interest in coming to the saints, never visited our facility or met with our coach, but we were in the box seat :shock:

Sloan, we are certainties to get him because he barracked for the saints as a kid. Oh wait, he's not coming either.

Come on and parkey what is your latest whisper? :P

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

He was always staying.

Delayin signing new deal was just to bump up his price ffs.

takeaway
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 24 Jul 2018 6:52am
parkeysainter wrote: Fri 15 Jun 2018 1:35pm Update: We are still in the box seat for McGovern. We are now looking at his brother from the Crows too.
I wonder what box seat actually means?
Well literally it refers to the coach driver on a horse drawn carriage, but in parkeysainter terms what does box seat mean?

When it comes to McGovern he had no interest in coming to the saints, never visited our facility or met with our coach, but we were in the box seat :shock:

Sloan, we are certainties to get him because he barracked for the saints as a kid. Oh wait, he's not coming either.

Come on and parkey what is your latest whisper? :P
We have at various times been "in the box seat", or in the favoured position to obtain the services of, many players over recent years, such as Cameron, Shiel, Kelly, Sloane, to name a few. Not just on SS, but other forums, and also by the media.
According to their supporters, over recent years North Melbourne have been in the box seat to snare every player available, yet have got none. All makes for interesting discussion, and you never know, we may get an A grader one year.

Keep them coming Parkey.