McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Doctor Two
Club Player

Re: McCartin

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 1:26pm Probably out for year. Confirmed.
Not surprising, Diabetics are notoriously slow healers. There are great tombs of medical books about the diabetic foot.

Bad luck for the kid

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 1:25pm And don't tell me Hipwood gets silver service.
Hmmm...Rockliff, Zorko, Beams, Robinson, Rich and now Rayner...versus Steven, Dunstan, Ross, Montagna, Sinclair and Steele? I reckon Hipwood would take his lot over the last couple seasons any day.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 1:25pm
parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:46pm Paddy is slowly building his game and tank. He is still very young for a big fella and will get better - especially after 50-75 games. Stop comparing him to Riewoldt and other forwards too. Its pointless and unfair.

The modern game doesn't help how Paddy plays either. I would hate to be a key forward with all the congestion going on each week.
He is two years older than Hipwood. 7cm shorter and has 50 less goals.

And don't tell me Hipwood gets silver service.
Actually its 37 less goals. Also, Hipwood, regardless of age, has played 11 more games and has played most of his games consecutively (match conditioning).

Of Paddy's games, 7 have been consecutive, aside from that he had 3 consecutive games once before. I'll also take a guess that Hipwood got more consecutive reserves footy before regularly playing AFL, Paddy also had spasmodic game time at VFL level.

Don't try and argue that Paddy has had as much development as Hipgood, because in match conditioning particularly, Paddy's had significantly less.

Your use of statistics is always selective or careless.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 2:42pm
parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:46pm Paddy is slowly building his game and tank. He is still very young for a big fella and will get better - especially after 50-75 games. Stop comparing him to Riewoldt and other forwards too. Its pointless and unfair.

The modern game doesn't help how Paddy plays either. I would hate to be a key forward with all the congestion going on each week.

Actually its 37 less goals. Also, Hipwood, regardless of age, has played 11 more games and has played most of his games consecutively (match conditioning).

Of Paddy's games, 7 have been consecutive, aside from that he had 3 consecutive games once before. I'll also take a guess that Hipwood got more consecutive reserves footy before regularly playing AFL, Paddy also had spasmodic game time at VFL level.

Don't try and argue that Paddy has had as much development as Hipgood, because in match conditioning particularly, Paddy's had significantly less.

Lol.

Why has Paddy played fewer games?

Maybe because he is unfit, lacks awareness and lacks agility?

Aren't you the tough bully boy threatening to make everybody eat their words?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So what about the excuse that Paddy is in a poor side?
Hipwood is in a worse side.
How many inside 50s have the Lions had in the last 3 seasons?
Not many.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Besides fanatical Saints fans, no person would argue Paddy is equal or better than Hipwood.
Nobody.
Full stop.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Stop comparing Paddy to other players - past and present. Every player takes a very different trajectory in their career based on a multitude of factors which don't need to be listed.

Its a stupid exercise, pointless and dishonest.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 3:13pm Stop comparing Paddy to other players - past and present. Every player takes a very different trajectory in their career based on a multitude of factors which don't need to be listed.

So avoid all objective and realistic assessment.

Instead remain in a bubble of hope and imagination.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 3:36pm
parkeysainter wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 3:13pm Stop comparing Paddy to other players - past and present. Every player takes a very different trajectory in their career based on a multitude of factors which don't need to be listed.

No, not at all. Simply assess an individual on his own history, stats and merits. Don't compare him to another key forward or other key forwards who all take or have taken a different trajectory in their career. Its not as bad as comparing McCartin to Petrecca though which I find even more ridiculous.

E.g. Its unfair to compare any key forward in the AFL to N. Riewoldt or L. Franklin across the next 50 years. Its crap.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 1:57pm
Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 1:34pm Don't worry.
Come February and Paddy will be elite and a star of the comp.
He seems to peak in February.
You are a sad individual. Instead of potting a 22 year old kid that might miss the rest of the year again, why not support him as a Saints fan? It will make you feel like a better person.

Good luck to Paddy anyway. You will be back mate.
I think his potting you and other deluded types
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 19 Jul 2018 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 2:48pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 2:42pm

Lol.

Why has Paddy played fewer games?

Maybe because he is unfit, lacks awareness and lacks agility?

Aren't you the tough bully boy threatening to make everybody eat their words?
Don't know what you're laughing at, or is your deployment of LOL some sort of a involuntary spasm.

Paddy has played fewer games due to numerous concussions, a significant shoulder injury and if memory serves me correct, there has been another injury.

True, his fitness is nowhere near AFL level (although its steadily improving), given that his performances to date are actually remarkable. He shouldn't be getting a touch, given his fitness levels.

Lacks awareness & agility? Are you serious? His Footy IQ is through the roof, how often do you see him get lumbered? The frustrating thing about Membrey's poster howler (was it against Freo or Hawthorn?), is nobody remembers McCartin's kick to set it up, footballing genius, but nah, his got no awareness. He's also agile enough for a bloke his size and he's got a quick mind. Perhap's you could avail us of some examples of his lack of awareness and agility?

"Aren't you the tough bully boy threatening to make everybody eat their words?" Don't be too sure that I won't get that opportunity still. I see you've fully embraced the current trend of playing the victim, good luck with that, good to see you keep up with the times.

On a side note, I was recently perusing the general forum and noticed a post from sometime ago, suggesting you were employed by Sam Dastyari! (a thimbul of inellect in a sea of mindless ambition). If this info was correct then LOL x 1000, if only you knew who I was, it would aggravate you even more.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 5:24pm
You are a sad individual. Instead of potting a 22 year old kid that might miss the rest of the year again, why not support him as a Saints fan? It will make you feel like a better person.

Its "he's" not "his" and a full stop which looks like "." is required at the end of your sentence. Thank me in advance.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 2:15pm
Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 1:25pm And don't tell me Hipwood gets silver service.
Hmmm...Rockliff, Zorko, Beams, Robinson, Rich and now Rayner...versus Steven, Dunstan, Ross, Montagna, Sinclair and Steele? I reckon Hipwood would take his lot over the last couple seasons any day.
Mitch Robinson

ROFLMAO

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It's not Paddy's fault he was pick 1.
He didn't pick himself.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 3:36pm

I've already pinched one of your posts as my signature and might have to pinch this one again

Wonder if you could copyright them
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 19 Jul 2018 5:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 5:42pm

Its "he's" not "his" and a full stop which looks like "." is required at the end of your sentence. Thank me in advance.
No sh*t, Sherlock.

:roll:

It was typo done on my phone which I couldn’t be arsed correcting.

What’s the latest whisper, bird brain. I need a good laugh.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 5:52pm

No sh*t, Sherlock.

You need to download the below.
https://www.grammarly.com/m

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ah the old, “you’re not a true Sainter if you don’t support him unquestioningly” routine. Always reliable when seeking to avoid objective analysis of performance.
McCartin’s selection at #1 has been less than underwhelming, to say the least. Looks at this stage like an epic waste of a first pick.

Choppa
Club Player

Type 1 Diabetes (who can't release insulin) is only a problem if it is not adequately managed. All the symptoms and problems being brought up in this thread pertain to patients that are poorly managed or are not managed at all. If blood sugar remains high for prolonged periods, as it does in poorly managed patients, it causes damage to the circulation (and many other tissues). It is the damage to the circulatory system that negatively affects healing. In well managed type I diabetics (as is Paddy), blood sugar does not remain high and the individual can live a relatively normal life, and consistently perform at the elite level as shown by the following list of high level athletes with type I diabetes (from Wikipedia):

Water Polo
Keegan Coleman, Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens (2017-current) driver/attacker, type 1

American football
Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos (2006–2008) and Chicago Bears (2009–2016) quarterback, type 1.[2]
Mike Echols, Tennessee Titans (2002–2004) cornerback, type 1.[3]
Kendall Simmons, Pittsburgh Steelers (2002–2008) guard, type 1.[4]
Jake Byrne, San Diego Chargers, tight end, type 1[5]
John Chick, Saskatchewan Roughriders (2007–2009, 2013–), Indianapolis Colts (2010–11), Jacksonville Jaguars (2011–2012) defensive end, type 1[6]
Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals (2011–); cornerback, type 2
Mark Andrews, Oklahoma Sooners, tight end, type 1[7]

Australian rules football
Nathan Bassett, Adelaide, type 1.[8]
Jamie Cripps, St Kilda and West Coast, type 1.[9]
Jack Fitzpatrick, Melbourne, Hawthorn type 1.[10]
Brandon Jack, Sydney, type 1.[11]
Paddy McCartin, St Kilda, type 1.[12]
Sam Reid, Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney, type 1.[8]
Dale Weightman, Richmond, type 1.[8]

Baseball
Ron Santo, Chicago Cubs (1960–1973) and Chicago White Sox (1974) infielder, type 1, deceased (2010 at age 70).
Sam Fuld, Chicago Cubs (2007–2010), Tampa Bay Rays (2011–2013), and Oakland Athletics (2014–) outfielder, type 1.[13]
Mark Lowe, Seattle Mariners (2006–2010, 2015), Texas Rangers (2010–2012), Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (2013), Cleveland Indians (2014), Toronto Blue Jays (2015), and Detroit Tigers (2016–) pitcher, type 1.[14]
Brandon Morrow, Seattle Mariners (2007–2009) and Toronto Blue Jays (2010–2014) pitcher, type 1.[14]
Dustin McGowan, Toronto Blue Jays (2005–2008, 2011, 2013–2014), Philadelphia Phillies (2015), and Miami Marlins (2016–) pitcher, type 1.
Jackie Robinson, Brooklyn Dodgers (1947–1956), type 2, deceased (1972 at age 53).
Bill Gullickson, Montreal Expos (1979–1994), type 1[15]
Adam Duvall, Cincinnati Reds (2015–), Type 1

Basketball
Chris Dudley, National Basketball Association center (1988–2001), politician, type 1.[16]
Gary Forbes, National Basketball Association small forward (2010–present), type 1.[17]
Adam Morrison, National Basketball Association small forward (2006–2010), type 1.
Alper Saruhan, Turkish Basketball Super League small forward (2007–present), type 1.[citation needed]

Cricket
Craig Cumming, New Zealand batsman (11 Tests, 2005–2008), type 1.[18]
John McLaren, Australian batsman (1 Test, 1912), died of diabetes aged 34.
Craig McMillan, New Zealand batsman (55 Tests, 1997–2005), type 1.[19]
Dirk Wellham, Australian batsman (6 Tests, 1981–1987), type 1.[20]

Cycling
Team Novo Nordisk is a global all-diabetes sports team of cyclists, triathletes and runners, spearheaded by the world’s first all-diabetes professional cycling team. The team’s mission is to inspire, educate and empower people affected by diabetes.[21]

Team Novo Nordisk is the first professional cycling team to be comprised completely of riders living with type 1 diabetes.[22] All riders, including Javier Mejías (Spain),[23] Andrea Peron (Italy), Martijn Verschoor (Netherlands), and several of the team’s staff, including Phil Southerland and VP of Marketing Matt Vogel, are living with diabetes.[24][25]

Football/soccer
Scott Allan, Celtic (2015–) midfielder, Type 1.
Ben Coker, Southend (2013– ) defender, Type 1.[26]
Antonia Göransson, Sweden women's national football team (2010– ) midfielder, Type 1.[27]
Gary Mabbutt, Tottenham (1982–1998) and Bristol Rovers (1979–1982) defender, UEFA Cup and FA Cup winner, type 1.[28]
Danny McGrain, Scotland (62 caps, 1973–1982) and Celtic (1967–1987) defender, seven-time Scottish Premier League winner.[29]
Jordan Morris, United States (24 caps, 2014–) and Seattle Sounders FC (2012–2013, 2016–) and Stanford University (2013–2015) Forward, Type 1.
Jack Muldoon, Lincoln City (2015– ), forward, Type 1.[30]
Nacho, Spain (2013–) and Real Madrid (2009–) defender.[31]
Andy Penman, Scotland (1 cap, 1966) and Rangers (1967–1973), Dundee F.C. (1959–1967) and Arbroath F.C. (1973–1978) midfielder, Scottish Football League winner 1961. Type 1, deceased (1994 at aged 51).[32]
Craig Stanley, Lincoln City (2015– ), midfielder, Type 1.[30]
Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Norwegian professional footballer, currently playing for Seattle Sounders FC.
Pär Zetterberg Sweden national football team, midfielder, Type 1.

Gaelic Football
Kevin Nolan, Dublin GAA (2008–2015), half back, Type 1.[33]
Golf
Scott Verplank, five-time PGA Tour winner, type 1.[34]

Ice hockey team
Nick Boynton, former National Hockey League defenseman, type 1.[35]
Bobby Clarke OC, Philadelphia Flyers (1969–84) and Canada center, sports administrator, type 1.[36]
Cory Conacher, National Hockey League center (2011–present), type 1.[37]
B. J. Crombeen, National Hockey League winger (2007–2015), type 1.[38]
Max Domi, National Hockey League winger (2015–present), type 1.[39]
Toby Petersen, former National Hockey League center (2000–2014), type 1.[40]
Luke Kunin, National Hockey League center (2017–present), type 1.[41]

Motor racing
Conor Daly, IndyCar driver, type 1.[42]
Jamie Dick, NASCAR driver, type 2.[43]
Charlie Kimball, IndyCar driver, type 1.[44]
Ryan Reed, NASCAR driver, type 1.[45]
Miguel Paludo, Brazil. NASCAR driver, type 1.[46]
Jack Perkins, Supercars driver Australia, type 1.[47]

Rowing
Michal Jelinski, Poland, Olympic gold medal winner 2008, four-time World Champion (2005–2009) quadruple sculls, type 1[citation needed]
Chris Jarvis, Canada, Olympic rower 2004, 2008, pan-am games champion (2007) Men's pair, type 1
Sir Steve Redgrave, UK, 5 Olympic gold medals, 9 World championship golds, 3 Commonwealth golds type 2

Rugby league
Steve Renouf, Brisbane (1988–1999), Queensland and Australia centre, type 1.[48]
Brett Stewart, Manly (2003–), New South Wales and Australia fullback, type 1.[49]
Lance Thompson, St George Dragons (1995–2005), Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (2006–2008)
Rugby union
Rod Kafer, Australian Test player (12 caps, 1999–2000), type 1.[50]
Henry Slade, Exeter Chiefs, type 1
Chris Pennell, Worcester Warriors and England, Type 1

Softball
Sara Groenewegen, Canadian Pitcher, type 1
Swimming and Running
Gary Hall, Jr., American freestyler, five-time Olympic gold medallist (1996, 2000, 2004), type 1.

Tennis
Arthur Ashe, American winner of 3 Grand Slam Titles (1968 US Open, 1970 Australian Open, 1975 Wimbledon), type 2.[51]
Billie Jean King, United States of America, winner of 20 Wimbledon titles, 3 U.S. Open titles, one Australian Open title, four French Open titles, and 695 career singles victories, type 2.[52]

Winter sports
Kris Freeman, American cross-country skier, type 1.[53]

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 6:37pm
McCartin’s selection at #1 has been less than underwhelming, to say the least. Looks at this stage like an epic waste of a first pick.
Yes, but it's not as simple as that. St Kilda has a poor record of developing our draft picks. Paddy might have been a star of the AFL by now if Sydney had picked him up. I think first and foremost it is every individuals responsibility to get AFL fit when they are drafted, but sometimes with thee teenagers they need a huge kick in the backside rather than just being left to their devices

I was looking at people's views of whether Joey should have been retained on our list for this year and read a few posts from August last year. Here's one from Linton Lodger:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93771&p=1693259&hil ... s#p1693259
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 19 Jul 2018 7:07pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor Two
Club Player

Choppa wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 6:38pm Type 1 Diabetes (who can't release insulin) is only a problem if it is not adequately managed. All the symptoms and problems being brought up in this thread pertain to patients that are poorly managed or are not managed at all. If blood sugar remains high for prolonged periods, as it does in poorly managed patients, it causes damage to the circulation (and many other tissues). It is the damage to the circulatory system that negatively affects healing. In well managed type I diabetics (as is Paddy), blood sugar does not remain high and the individual can live a relatively normal life, and consistently perform at the elite level as shown by the following list of high level athletes with type I diabetes (from Wikipedia):
All Type 1 diabetics, even well managed ones will get eventually get peripheral vasculopathy and neuropathy dependent on the duration of the disease. I am not saying that Paddy cannot perform at an elite level. Rather his healing times, particularly to the foot area may be more prolonged when compared to other elite performers with normal general health. Hence the need to be cautious.

Lisfranc injuries can be difficult to manage at the best of times

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 6:09pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 5:52pm

No sh*t, Sherlock.

You need to download the below.
https://www.grammarly.com/m
So that’s your best shot? A spelling mistake?

Me thinks old Porkeysainter is getting desperate.

:D

At least I’m not a simpleton and a drone.

Dullard.
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 19 Jul 2018 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 19 Jul 2018 6:58pm
Yes, but it's not as simple as that. St Kilda has a poor record of developing our draft picks. Paddy might have been a star of the AFL by now if Sydney had picked him up. I think first and foremost it is every individuals responsibility to get AFL fit when they are drafted, but sometimes with thee teenagers they need a huge kick in the backside rather than just being left to their devices

I was looking at people's views of whether Joey should have been retained on our list for this year and read a few posts from August last year. Here's one from Linton Lodger:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93771&p=1693259&hil ... s#p1693259
Completely agree we have a poor record at developing players. I read the link you posted and agree that our selection policies have at times been confusing at best when it comes to getting games into young fellas.
Re McCartin being lazy, if that’s the case, then that’s a reflection of lack of due diligence by the club. Wasn’t Trout all about picking guys who weren’t just good footballers, but solid individuals? McCartin being lazy isn’t something that should be discovered after being picked at # 1.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Ah the old, “you’re not a true Sainter if you don’t support him unquestioningly” routine. Always reliable when seeking to avoid objective analysis of performance.
Garbage. Everyone is accountable and can cop criticism within reason on the Saints list.

Some supporters just aren't sad sacks. Always will be.