OFF SEASON - WHAT WE MUST DO. STKILDA BOARD - READ THIS YOU FLOGS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

OFF SEASON - WHAT WE MUST DO. STKILDA BOARD - READ THIS YOU FLOGS

WE MUST ACT AND ACT NOW

PUT YOUR HAND UP AND SAY HEY WE STUFFED UP!!

MASSIVE OFF SEASON NEEDED. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS AND ACT!
5 MAJOR AREAS MUST BE CHANGED. IF WE HOLD INTO s*** PLAYERS AND JUST DRAFT 1 PLAYER MEMBERS SHOULD REVOLT.

1. SACK RICHO
- get RATTEN or CARRACELLA

2. GET PROPER ASSISTANTS
- S.Mitchell, J.Barker

3. TRADE back INTO DRAFT
- Billings Pick 9 (Essendon)
- Acres Pick 36
- Newnes Pick 55

4. SWAP SLOWNESS for SPEED
- Dunstan for Seedsman
- Armitage for Scrimshaw
- FA A.Hall if GAFF and POLEC fails

5. CHANGE CAPTAINCY
- who to?? I dont know but Geary has failed. He must be dropped. Carlisle? Ross? McCartin? lol we really are a disgrace.

<ChrisRyanSaints Posts from same I.P. Address as SMS and with the same content and as such is attached to the ban>

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: OFF SEASON - WHAT WE MUST DO. STKILDA BOARD - READ THIS YOU FLOGS

Needs more caps

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Is it school holidays again?
Not related to Nexus Nick are you?
36 for Acres!!!

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

its what we need to do.
But we wont. In 5 years after finishes of 10, 12, 9, 13 and 16 WHILE CARLTON with Caracella and MELBOURNE win flags you will look back at this post and go this guy knew what he was talking about. I cant believe no one here thinks we shouldnt change. That billings soft football or acres slow brain is a great thing. theyre not and we need to cash in now. because in 2 years theyll be worthless. Billings isnt made for AFL footy. he'll have the odd day out against weak opposition under the roof thriving in bruise free footy. but thats not finals or reality of great teams. same
with acres. SOFT

ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

id seap acres for graham (richmond)
id swap billings for Worpel or Morrison (hawks)

may seem crazy but I gaurantee those oher players will have good careers while ours gonlike fiora. all
potential never the champ

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If we just sack Richo, we will be missing the root of our problem - which is our recruiting.

Over the years, we have recruited a team of butchers (overall) - we are arguably the worst skilled side.

The following should be a non-negotiable guiding principle that our recruiters need to adhere to.
1. Only recruit players with good skill sets whose skills hold up under pressure.
2. See 1 above.

If we don’t follow the above - it doesn’t matter who coaches us, we will be an average team.
Last edited by samoht on Sun 29 Jul 2018 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 3:20pm If we just sack Richo, we will be missing the root of our problem - which is our recruiting.

Over the years, we have recruited a team of butchers - we are arguably the worst skilled side.

The following should be a non-negotiable guiding principle that our recruiters need to adhere to.
1. Only recruit players with good skill sets whose skills hold up under pressure.
2. See 1 above.

If we don’t follow t
I would say the players had good skills when recruited and our development has ruined them.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need players like De Goey, Dustin Martin, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, whose skills hold up under pressure.
We only really have Gresham who performs well under pressure -whose skills hold up.
Coffield and Clark are showing some good signs, maybe.

Was Acres recruited for his kicking skills?
Was Ross?
What about Steven?
What about Geary? What about Gilbert?
Anyone can chip the ball around - under no pressure.

Our recruiters need to have some non- negotiables - we need to recruit - and only recruit - skilful players whose skills hold up under extreme pressure. Full stop.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Billings for pick 9 = no chance. More like pick 25.
Armo for Scrimshaw = no chance. Scrimshaw is only 19.
Acres is worth a pick 20. Needs continuity.

But agree with your overall sentiment. We need major change - not just tinkering and hoping for the best.

Tommyj
Club Player

What's all this bull swapping billing and co it's not them its the devopment who's teaching these kids not enough training under pressure look at bloody Richmond were going nowhere didn't recruit anyone but did change assistants and bang what happens

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tommyj wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 4:49pm What's all this bull swapping billing and co it's not them its the devopment who's teaching these kids not enough training under pressure look at bloody Richmond were going nowhere didn't recruit anyone but did change assistants and bang what happens
Caddy
Prestia
Nankervis
Townsend

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ChrisRyanSaints wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 2:12pm WE MUST ACT AND ACT NOW

5 MAJOR AREAS MUST BE CHANGED. IF WE HOLD INTO s*** PLAYERS AND JUST DRAFT 1 PLAYER MEMBERS SHOULD REVOLT.

1. SACK RICHO

2. GET PROPER ASSISTANTS
- S.Mitchell, J.Barker

3. TRADE back INTO DRAFT
- Acres Pick 36
- Newnes Pick 55

- Dunstan for Seedsman
- Armitage for Scrimshaw

5. CHANGE CAPTAINCY
- who to?? I dont know but Geary has failed. He must be dropped. Carlisle? Ross? McCartin? lol we really are a disgrace.
What an offensive ridiculous ignorant uninformed post

You take the cake. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

older saint
SS Life Member

ChrisRyanSaints wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 2:12pm WE MUST ACT AND ACT NOW

1. SACK RICHO

2. GET PROPER ASSISTANTS
- S.Mitchell, J.Barker

3. TRADE back INTO DRAFT
- Acres Pick 36
- Newnes Pick 55

- Dunstan for Seedsman
- Armitage for Scrimshaw

5. CHANGE CAPTAINCY
1. Not saying do or don't sack coach but the question is - the person who replaces him must be better. Not sure on Ratten , but definitely whoever it is needs a harder edge.

2. Assistants - no idea how good or bad they are as we don't see what they do or don't do. Richmond did it and was successful so is it now the trend when cant replace the coach? Would like to see an Assistant with Head coaching experience there - Like a Leppitch (Rich), Voss ( Port), Ratten ( Haw) etc. Should look at guys like that.

3. Trades - Billings 2nd half of season has been good, just starting to consistently find the ball , Acres not used correctly a 6'3 mid with time, sure butchers it a bit but smaller slower mids we have do also, Newness Agree although 55 , probabkly get a little more to a higher ranked team looking for added depth . Add 1 of the tall forwards to the list and Longer if anyone wants him. Ross for the right deal as a poor kick and his defensive work this year has been poor both with and without the ball.

4. Seedsman started like a house on firs but has disappeared as year has gone on and cant find the footy, at least Dunstan finds the ball consistently when plays, Armo gone but wont get anything for him of value,

5. Gresham obvious , believe he captained state team? , but too early so might need someone to keep the seat warm for a year.

Just MO

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Just posting so I can say I contributed to the most inane useless shiteful thread of 2018 ..... with my own inane useless shiteful post 8-) :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
takeaway
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 5:23pm Just posting so I can say I contributed to the most inane useless shiteful thread of 2018 ..... with my own inane useless shiteful post 8-) :twisted:
By far the best post of the thread!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 5:09pm Acres not used correctly a 6'3 mid with time, sure butchers it a bit but smaller slower mids we have do also,
Couldn’t agree more. Play him on the ball. It’s a no-brainer, but Richo can’t see it.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 29 Jul 2018 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 3:20pm If we just sack Richo, we will be missing the root of our problem - which is our recruiting.

Over the years, we have recruited a team of butchers (overall) - we are arguably the worst skilled side.

2. See 1 above.

If we don’t follow the above - it doesn’t matter who coaches us, we will be an average team.
Elite foot skills and mongrel. Contested marking next. No more soft c**ks

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The problem with the OP is that
1. I’m not sure you get those deals on those players (and by not sure, I mean I am sure)

2. Your trading players with clear talent that aren’t producing for players with talent. What happens when those players start underperforming or losing skills l8ke all those before them? Need I remind you that when you they came to the club, you would put the house on Membrey and Paddy to nail a set shot.

2B. Your answer to the above is get rid of Richo, get new assistants. Sure but you don’t actually know the replacements are that good.
Mitchell is unproven, Barker gets mixed reports, apparently Caracella is highly rated but how much of that is the premiership glow from Richmond? AR was highly rated when we got him. Ratten was already sacked once.

3. Change captaincy to I don’t know is not a plan

If you’re going to trade into the draft, the commonsense logic is to trade our players with value that are surplus to our needs and back that if you get quality around guys like Billings, Acres etc they get back to what they’re capable. Otherwise you’re trading Billings, Acre and Newnes for 1 or at most to draft players that may make it... your trading out potential for... potential potential to our needs... It doesn’t make sense.

That means your options for trading are essentially Ross, Bruce/Paddy, apparently Longer (or Hickey).

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hi CityWest

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What I would do personally is seek out an external review to objectively tell me what the problems with the coaches are and address them that way with people that are highly regarded in these areas...
As it stands right now we
1. Don’t seem to be able to afford sacking Richo
2. Don’t know what the actual problems are... which assistants are underperforming? All of them? Really? Is that a fact or is that emotional rationalising brought on by the measure of results.

We got a goal kicking coach... that hasn’t fixed anything. Is it Dixon’s fault or are the players to psychologically weak/scarred. Is it a game plan issue? Is it a fitness one?

You can’t fix a problem until you understand it.

Same deal with sacking the recruiter... is our recruiting terrible or are we destroying the players we get because from where I’m sitting Membrey, Billings, Paddy, Savage, Lonie, White, Dunstan, Ross, Sinclair, Hickey, Acres, Bruce, Steele etc are all players that have demonstrated an ability to play far better than what they are producing.

Next, you have to the balance the list the list.
We have too many big forwards
4 ruckman and not a clear primary one
A plethora of HBF and inside mids that aren’t producing

Not enough key defenders or outside mids

Too many players that are either slow or have poor disposal.

What you need to do is trade or delist out of that category. IMO I would make some hard decisions from the following group: one of Hickey and Longer, Wright, Savage, Minch, Ross, Armitage, Bruce, Paddy, Weller, Newnes, DMac, and Gilbert.

Some of those need to go, some could be traded, identify which ones are the most likely to play to the standard you want and keep them.
From that list I would give up on Weller, Wright, Gilbert... get what I could for Savage, Paddy (not durable enough) and Longer and I would take offers for Newnes + Ross and consider it if anyone made a good offer

Then... recruit more mids, some classy ones... no more utility or flanker types.

Continue to hunt for free agents... we need everything
Quality mids
Another good key back
An AFL standard ruck

That’s your starting point

Pierce, Freeman and Goddard... I would play them. Without fear or limits... give them all a clear run at it
Last edited by skeptic on Sun 29 Jul 2018 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 29 Jul 2018 3:05pm Is it school holidays again?
Not related to Nexus Nick are you?
36 for Acres!!!
I think he's related to another poster. Same writing style, Same themes.

Swap the first initials of C R for S M and add the last initial of S and you get our man who just got the lemon and sars for 1 month

He's got dual personalities. Could have several, who knows. Strange thing is that sometimes there's not much seperating lunatics from geniuses. I reckon he's onto something. A total cleanout off field and some drastic changes are needed to the playing list if we are going to be a contender in 3-4 years time.

KingSaint
Club Player

Skeptic...far too much logic, reason and well thought out and articulated suggestions. Where do you get off posting like that on this OP or forum.

Where is the extreme emotion...calling everyone flogs and morons...lots of "FFS" and "rolling of the eyes"...and slagging off at the club...the board...the coaches...the players...the property steward???

Very poor form.

Seriously...like your suggestions..but i'd want to be keeping Ross.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

No arguments KS - Ross is clearly a top 22 player. No question.

I’m certainly not suggesting he has to go or anything like that but the thing is he is one of the few on our list that may attract any actual value because he may be worth more to someone else then he is us.

He’s a tough but slower ball winning type with questionable disposal and an enormous tank.

Players of that ilk on our list include to varying degrees... Steele, Dunstan, Armitage, Acres and possibly Newnes if he improves ++

All those guys + Ross can’t play in the team together so the question is could we cover his loss? I think we could. Would you back anyone on that list to bring what Seb brings to the table? I would back Steele and Acres... possibly Dunstan. I think if Armitage continues playing as he has been, he could cover up short term.

If someone offered up a first round pick for Ross, I would be mighty tempted to take it. He’s on our list to be an A-Grade player all the time ala Jack Steven... is he going to meet that expectation... I have my doubts.

KingSaint
Club Player

No probs at all Skeptic.

We do have a number of inside mids who are great in traffic...but not the best disposal.

Will be interesting to see how things unfold.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Ross would be exactly who carlton would want to support Cripps. Be bodied ball magnet.

They will have pick 19 or thereabouts.

We would want next years 3rd rounder also.

Nee!