Freeman IN! SEN rumour - Goddard IN this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Freeman IN! SEN rumour - Goddard IN this week

Rumour on SEN this morning that FreezaWatch is over and he will play this week, alongside Hugh Goddard.
Last edited by shrodes on Thu 02 Aug 2018 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: SEN rumour - Goddard and Freeza IN this week

@parkey can you confirm this?

<warning for baiting>

quirky84
Club Player

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 5ace10e942

In more tempered news for the Saints, the club has indicated Nathan Freeman is unlikely to debut on the same week as the AFL’s fairytale story Alex Johnson despite 37 possessions last week.

The uncontracted Freeman is desperate to make his AFL debut after nearly five seasons with recurring hamstring issues.

But there is a selection logjam at St Kilda created by the return of qualify defender Jimmy Webster and several players pushing hard after excellent VFL form.

Webster will return from a groin injury against the Western Bulldogs, top-10 pick Hunter Clark could return from a rest, and utility Ben Paton has been close to a debut for weeks.

Freeman didn’t lay a tackle among his 37 disposals and needs to improve that area of his game, with a VFL bye this weekend making it hard to push his claims.

The club hasn’t ruled out a surprise debut but Freeman might have to wait one more week for his elusive first game.

Firstly, he has averaged over 4 tackles a game recently
Secondly Newnes laid about 6 tackles in 10 weeks.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Neither should play above Patton. Plus with a few other regulars likely to be coming back ie Webster Hunter I think it will be too many changes. If they are picked we are tanking as this is our last winnable game this year on paper

dragit
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 11:52am Neither should play above Patton. Plus with a few other regulars likely to be coming back ie Webster Hunter I think it will be too many changes. If they are picked we are tanking as this is our last winnable game this year on paper
Yep we are flying so we don't want to unsettle our winning lineup.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

On the positive side, we’ll pbly get to see Weller and Gilbert again this week...

And I have a real good feeling that Mav will reward us all for the faith.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 12:34pm On the positive side, we’ll pbly get to see Weller and Gilbert again this week...

I don't know why Newnes never gets mentioned in these types of discussions. Considering his experience he is a massive under performer.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 11:35am @parkey can you confirm this?
:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbob
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 11:52am Neither should play above Patton. Plus with a few other regulars likely to be coming back ie Webster Hunter I think it will be too many changes. If they are picked we are tanking as this is our last winnable game this year on paper

Honestly who cares how many changes they make, just get some games into Freeman, Paton, Goddard and give the supporters something to look forward to on game day.

4pts means absolutely jack s***!!!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

If they want an extra 5,000 people through gates on Saturday night, name Freeman, Paton and Goddard in the side. All three are ready and worthy. Each is an upgrade on Newnes, Weller and Gilbert too.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:43am Rumour on SEN this morning that FreezaWatch is over and he will play this week, alongside Hugh Goddard.
Geez, they surely must be a chance. Goddard has been excellent and Freeman just deserves a go at it.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 12:52pm

Honestly who cares how many changes they make, just get some games into Freeman, Paton, Goddard and give the supporters something to look forward to on game day.

I partially agree with you. Yes the points mean nothing now and it is better if we lose for draft picks and better if we win for confidence in the players and staff. Pro and cons

I agree that Paton should be given a game now, he is playing really well consistently and has been an emergency a few times

I think a lot of people are caught up in the romance of playing Freeza, the problem is that him isn't ready yet. I watched 3/4 of last week game and he made little impact. he got a lot of cheap handballs from standing around the ruck (he does have good hands to be fair) but there wasn't any speed to him and that is his 1 wood to quote Richo. We got him for speed and if he is too afraid to run full tilt or can't anymore then why play him. And no defense, none. I would prefer to keep getting games into Hunter Clark

Goddard is still slow. It is something I assume is being worked on but if he plays you will see him trailing behind forwards as they take marks a lot. I don't think anyone wants to see that

Webster to come back in if fit and if his kicking improves he will be close to elite next year IMO. Still not sure why Bailey Rice was dropped as he was playing OK and there were worse than him so he could come back. There is even a case for Armo coming back in. Basically lots of options and Lonie, Weller and Newnes keep getting games so who know what will happen

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 1:30pm
saintbob wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 12:52pm

I partially agree with you. Yes the points mean nothing now and it is better if we lose for draft picks and better if we win for confidence in the players and staff. Pro and cons

I agree that Paton should be given a game now, he is playing really well consistently and has been an emergency a few times

I think a lot of people are caught up in the romance of playing Freeza, the problem is that him isn't ready yet. I watched 3/4 of last week game and he made little impact. he got a lot of cheap handballs from standing around the ruck (he does have good hands to be fair) but there wasn't any speed to him and that is his 1 wood to quote Richo. We got him for speed and if he is too afraid to run full tilt or can't anymore then why play him. And no defense, none. I would prefer to keep getting games into Hunter Clark

Goddard is still slow. It is something I assume is being worked on but if he plays you will see him trailing behind forwards as they take marks a lot. I don't think anyone wants to see that

Webster to come back in if fit and if his kicking improves he will be close to elite next year IMO. Still not sure why Bailey Rice was dropped as he was playing OK and there were worse than him so he could come back. There is even a case for Armo coming back in. Basically lots of options and Lonie, Weller and Newnes keep getting games so who know what will happen
Not a bad summary DJH. I always thought you were Drake Huggins for some reason back in the day.

I understand your concerns about Goddard and Freeman, but we need to trial them for at least 2-3 games as a minimum I believe. We need to get a grasp on where they are at currently. But at the end of the day, they are both still young and can improve so 2019 and beyond isn't out of the question for either of them.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Play the kids, there’s no downside to doing it.

I’d gladly watch them ahead of the likes of Gilbert, Geary, Brown, Weller and Savage at this point.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If they dont play its most likely because Richo is still coaching for his career and wont take risks on kids. What better game to at least introduce Paton & Freeman.

Crikey we are an ordinary run outfit under that clown. It wont matter who else they bring in whilst Richardson is in charge the club will not improve onfield.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I like the look of young Paton.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 12:41pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 12:34pm On the positive side, we’ll pbly get to see Weller and Gilbert again this week...

I don't know why Newnes never gets mentioned in these types of discussions. Considering his experience he is a massive under performer.
I’m still holding out hope that the work being put into Newnes now may pay off later

The_President
Club Player

Savage didn't have a tackle on the weekend

Lonie, Coffield, Dunstan, Membrey and Newnes all only had one

The week before against Richmond

Membrey, Hickey and Carlisle all didn't get a tackle

Clark, McKenzie, Phillips, Savage and Steven all only got one.

Savage has had 6 tackles in five weeks.

shrodes
SS Life Member

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freeman IN! SEN rumour - Goddard IN this week

saints.com.au

2 August 2018 2:33 PM

St Kilda’s Nathan Freeman will finally make his long-awaited debut on Saturday night against the Western Bulldogs.

423 players have made their AFL debuts since the 23-year-old was taken by Collingwood with pick No. 10 in the 2013 National Draft.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

frank

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spot on!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Geeze the way ALL of the players reacted showed why it was good for him to have been selected. It will add a real energy to the game IMO.

Froma fan point of view...BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 03 Aug 2018 12:28pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I have been wrong before and I will be again but congrats to Freeza. I hope he backs his body and leaves nothing in the tank. The sure patience and dedication of the man is amazing and I hope he loves every second he is out there. Well done mate, well done. I hope Paton is also getting a game.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

We'll be there. Historic moment.

Saint supporter since '62