I cant stand the woman but I hope she’s right,

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: I cant stand the woman but I hope she’s right,

The AFL want to give one to Carlton and they cannot do so without giving one to us and GC as well. Carlton played Finals in 2015. They'd be having to give Brisbane one as well if they hadn't started winning recently.

I suppose its a good thing that we've had a disastrous 4/5 win season rather than a mediocre 11 win season.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 10:09am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 8:46am
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 8:35am
Moods wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 12:30am
saintbob wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 11:55pm Caroline Wilson has just said that there are discussions happening at the AFL that WE along with the Suns and Blues will get a priority pick!!
Heard the same thing from Damian Barratt this arvo on mmm, so probably has legs. Apparently the AFL as worried about the saints as any club in the competition. This has probably come from Lethlean to Gill. A tad concerning to be honest. New guy comes in and probably can't believe what he's seeing.

It'll be between the 1st and 2nd rounds
The part about Lethlean speaking to Gill is entirely correct. I can’t emphasise enough how lucky we are right now to have him in our midst.

The more interesting part of Caro’s piece last night was that Finnis is now under pressure. I can’t imagine how a new board - also mentioned by her - would view Finnis’s recommending an 2 yr extension to a lame duck coach that favourably.
The board dropped the ball on this as well.

Incompetent and negligent.
I think it puts to rest any notion that Lethlean only answers to Finnis....and that conversations won’t go beyond him in terms or reviews or clubs needs

Lethlean will run to Gill at every opportunity for 2 reasons:

1. He’s ambitious and needs to reinvent himself
2. The clubs a basket case and needs AFL intervention and he now knows it...
I can guarantee you that you're not far off the mark and that it's much more about 2 and very little about 1.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 10:16am She also said Richo only really contracted for one year, not two - and that that would mean he's much more likely to want to recruit top-up players at the end of this season - that is, next season he'll be coaching for his career so he'll be trying to win games at all costs (even moreso than posters here have been accusing him of this year).
Ummmm - just a heads-up. Richo doesn't really have much say in what's going on around him at the moment. Elshaugh largely created the mess (and has been punted); Richo is somewhat complicit in publicly agreeing with the decisions but also, his match committee selections over the past 2 years. They're now coming back to bite him personally.

As such - Richo's now basically a lame-duck coach. If there's a coach in the AFL with less say in what's going on around him - and will continue to do so over the off season - I'd like to know who that is ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stuff the Suns, but St. Kilda and Carlton are foundation clubs of the VFA, the VFL and the AFL, and are both two of the oldest surviving sporting clubs in the entire world. That has to count for something.
We need more cream to help out Billings, Paddy and Gresham, etc. I'll gladly take the priority pick after all of the help the Swans have had since the early 90s.
I would also like to see Ratten and Mitchell at the club in assistants roles. If AR has to stay, fine, but he is going to need some real help, not bargain basement assistants. But he better get used to burning the midnight oil, because from what I have seen this year, we are currently in Year Zero.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 4:51pm
freely wrote: Tue 14 Aug 2018 10:16am She also said Richo only really contracted for one year, not two - and that that would mean he's much more likely to want to recruit top-up players at the end of this season - that is, next season he'll be coaching for his career so he'll be trying to win games at all costs (even moreso than posters here have been accusing him of this year).
Ummmm - just a heads-up. Richo doesn't really have much say in what's going on around him at the moment. Elshaugh largely created the mess (and has been punted); Richo is somewhat complicit in publicly agreeing with the decisions but also, his match committee selections over the past 2 years. They're now coming back to bite him personally.

As such - Richo's now basically a lame-duck coach. If there's a coach in the AFL with less say in what's going on around him - and will continue to do so over the off season - I'd like to know who that is ...
If Richo isn't running things who is then...T74? :shock:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 12:06am Stuff the Suns, but St. Kilda and Carlton are foundation clubs of the VFA, the VFL and the AFL, and are both two of the oldest surviving sporting clubs in the entire world. That has to count for something.
We need more cream to help out Billings, Paddy and Gresham, etc. I'll gladly take the priority pick after all of the help the Swans have had since the early 90s.
I would also like to see Ratten and Mitchell at the club in assistants roles. If AR has to stay, fine, but he is going to need some real help, not bargain basement assistants. But he better get used to burning the midnight oil, because from what I have seen this year, we are currently in Year Zero.
Ratten was sacked ( or rather was not offered a contract for 2019 and beyond ). See the Ratten thread.

According to Caroline Wilson, Mitchell is going to the Hawks. Makes sense as they needed to part with one of their assistants

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Would love a priority pick!

Would be a massive steal.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I’d second that, I’d love a priority pick...we need all the help we can get in this different afl landscape. Last time we had one we got the twin towers!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It's a ridiculous concept and I don't condone it at all by I would be thrilled if we get a priority pick. Completely undeserved but so are most of the advantages afforded to AFL clubs

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We should be a special case ... as we only have 1 premiership cup, and that was 3 generations ago and that’s one since year dot.
We need to generate interest and relevancy ... if Carlton are getting a hand up - we should demand 4.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bring it on

“Yeah….nah””
miskycat
Club Player

No priority pick mentioned in 'The Age' (Jake Niall) today. Only 'Blues, Suns.'

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Get everything that we can get and more, so the Saints can get back in the hunt and win that bloody 2nd flag ASAP!

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it really makes a lot of difference... particularly end of first round.

What is far more concerning than the talent pool on hand is entire football department and development programs... would prefer we got a massive boost in those areas than an extra crust thrown our way.

Carlton and GCS are living proof that a multitude of high draft picks mean nothing in a bung system. Top end talent are absolutely floundering at all three clubs.

What about a soft cap consession and possibly some development direction from an independent board of genuine experts backed by the AFL?

Or a poaching consession where we can take a willing, but contracted player like Hannebery and the AFL award a compensation pick - end of first round.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Wed 15 Aug 2018 11:58pm I don't think it really makes a lot of difference... particularly end of first round.

What is far more concerning than the talent pool on hand is entire football department and development programs... would prefer we got a massive boost in those areas than an extra crust thrown our way.

Carlton and GCS are living proof that a multitude of high draft picks mean nothing in a bung system. Top end talent are absolutely floundering at all three clubs.

What about a soft cap consession and possibly some development direction from an independent board of genuine experts backed by the AFL?

Or a poaching consession where we can take a willing, but contracted player like Hannebery and the AFL award a compensation pick - end of first round.
Totally agree.

I don't think Priority Picks is the answer.

FWIW though, contrary to people's 'the AFL is trying to stitch us up' conspiracy theories - I think the AFL is actually sending in it's people to turn us around.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The profit motive, vested interests and incentivisation are not conspiracy theories.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 16 Aug 2018 11:25am The profit motive, vested interests and incentivisation are not conspiracy theories.
I think the AFL have an incredibly strong motive for the Saints to be competitive. Not for them to fail.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Priority pick not answer ....but nice piece yo have when you only have 1 decent pick in super draft

Yes please

“Yeah….nah””
degruch
Saintsational Legend

IMO, we should stew in our own juices as much as Carlton should...both clubs have made their bed. As for the Suns, the AFL made their own bed there, they'd be better off wrapping it up and moving them to Tassie than trying to prop them up year after year. Having said that, they have some tasty picks this year and should be able to right the ship on their own accord.