trade/ delist predictions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scoop
Club Player

Re: trade/ delist predictions

skeptic wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 9:42pm
Scoop wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 9:17pm
saintsRrising wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 8:45pm According to Plugga Connellan has been told he will be delisted.
That is my mail as well. Not happy about this, as I thought he had a lot of attributes that we need...especially real pace. Unlike other teams, we do not seem to be able to develop these Irishmen.....or give up too soon!!
We seem to be agreeing a lot these days Scallop.

RE Connellan, do you think not playing him hindered his development?
I think you need a visit to Specsavers skeptic!! Hopefully you will also consider me to be an agreeable individual, like Scollop!

To answer your question, I am a reasonably regular attendee of Sandy games and this year I think playing him in the forward line hindered his development for a while. Reading the play, positioning and just knowing how to play a forward role affected his game. However, I thought he was starting to show some good signs, as the season went on. I would have liked to see Connellan given a game or two in the AFL, as I think with better players around him and a bit more space he may have done well. I would have played him on the wing where his pace and long kicking could have been used to great effect.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Delist (5):
Wright - good guy but amazing he lasted this long.
Minchington - not quite good enough for the big time.
McKenzie - simply doesn't get the footy enough and we have enough of his type.
Weller - unfortunately he just couldn't raise himself to the modern game.
White (re-rookie as is contracted until 2019)

Ret (2):
Gilbert
Stevens.

Trade:
Anyone for the right price. No, seriously - Freo nabbed pick #2 for Lachie Weller last year, so you never know.

But we'll clearly be moving on one of Longer or Hickey, perhaps both. Hard to see what the market will offer, but you'd think we might get something as ruckman take a long time to develop.

I'd also be open to de-listing more players if we can make a good fist of free agency. For example, surely Billy Hartung is a better player than the bottom few on our list (like for like, these evaluations must be made).

Other notes:
- Goddard reacts too slow for the modern game, but has other attributes. Must have a blinding pre-season and needs to seriously work hard on his judgement and second efforts. Looks clumsy, but I thought Shane Wakelin wasn't great at first, either.
- Freeman. Well, he cracked it for a game, so I guess that's progress. One more year to show something.
- Long. Has something but would want a lot more progress in 2019.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The Ray Connellan one annoys me the most. WE have failed him, he has not failed us. Having seen him play for Sandy, he has plenty to offer and should have been given a few AFL games to see what he could do. Instead, we didn't try him in the midfield, hardly tried him as a running half back. Just plonked him at half forward for a couple of years not teaching him anything about the game. If you're not prepared to put the hard work in to develop Irish players, don't recruit them in the first place.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If they gave me the reigns s...

Delist/retire:

Stevens
Gilbert
Wright

Trade: (expected value in brackets)

Dunstan (pick 30)
Newnes (pick 35)
Savage (Pick 40)
Longer (Pick 40)
Weller (pick 50)
Lonie (pick 50)
Armitage (pick 80)

Bring in 2 or 3 FA's, hit the draft hard and look for hidden gems in state leagues. Main priority is turning over deadwood and only retaining/recruiting players with the tools to make it. Obviously not all of the trades we make would have to be for draft picks only

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I suspect Lethlean will be really hard nosed. Unless the player has shown exceptional talent at some stage those who have had long term injuries or are consistently injured and those that have not broken into the team regularly should be nervous going into the exit interviews; if you are bog ordinary there are always younger players with possibilities who are already as good in the drafts so little downside to giving the flick to the old and in with the new; you may save money on medical costs. Noting ARs lack of enthusiasm for certain players and that we are probably the second worst side currently I think there will be a mighty clean out. If I were Paddy's manager I would also suggest to him kick plenty in 2019 or the honeymoon with the club is well and truly over as well. The lists above look about right to me. It seems Freeman is a goner. No point in keeping Billy. Dunstan cant kick. Weller too slow. Wright injured all the time and lost his dash. Lonie small and slow but may be redrafted if room in SC. Newnes to stay as a bit parts player. Goddard too slow, unfortunately. Armo on the cusp, may be given benefit of doubt re regaining fitness; Savage not required, Gilbo gone. Depending on whether AR has any time for White he might stay but I think unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more went but not sure who. Add in retirements and the damnable long term injury to Robbo there will be about a 20% cull I should think.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lions apparently interested in J Steven/Seb Ross
Have put their pick in on table
I’d let J Steven go for it - he ain’t going to be there when we get going in 3-5 years time
Do it now don’t delay recruit elite pace/skills in we are going nowhere with a list with no elite talent and Jack is nit elite
Hurts but got to give to get

“Yeah….nah””
No.11
Club Player

It’s begun. J.B. Has requested a trade if changes aren’t made. Don’t think I have to tell you what the change has to be. Three others will follow suit.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No.11 wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 7:11pm It’s begun. J.B. Has requested a trade if changes aren’t made. Don’t think I have to tell you what the change has to be. Three others will follow suit.
Correct

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wow - HUGE!

Get rid of richo now, we can't wait another season and lose a bunch of good kids in the process.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 5:34pm
No.11 wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 7:11pm It’s begun. J.B. Has requested a trade if changes aren’t made. Don’t think I have to tell you what the change has to be. Three others will follow suit.
Correct
Say it again?

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saint-stu
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
Correct
Which JB?!?

1ac46a38
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Billings

saint-stu
Club Player

Does he just want out or will stay with a new coach? He hasn't looked happy all year.

1ac46a38
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

There is big s*** going down atm.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

If we could get a top 15 pick for him, I'd do it. We need outside midfield class and speed. As good as JB is, he's a HFF - they are replaceable. Let's face it, when you take the emotion out of it, the current crop of players have not delivered. Sure, not just the players fault, but our rebuild has failed. We need to start again, and unfortunately we just don't have enough picks in this year's draft to start a new rebuild. Tough decisions need to be made.

saint-stu
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote:If we could get a top 15 pick for him, I'd do it. We need outside midfield class and speed. As good as JB is, he's a HFF - they are replaceable. Let's face it, when you take the emotion out of it, the current crop of players have not delivered. Sure, not just the players fault, but our rebuild has failed. We need to start again, and unfortunately we just don't have enough picks in this year's draft to start a new rebuild. Tough decisions need to be made.
He is one of our few high quality players. I'd rather lose Richo as he hasn't shown us anything yet.

1ac46a38
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 6:00pm If we could get a top 15 pick for him, I'd do it. We need outside midfield class and speed. As good as JB is, he's a HFF - they are replaceable. Let's face it, when you take the emotion out of it, the current crop of players have not delivered. Sure, not just the players fault, but our rebuild has failed. We need to start again, and unfortunately we just don't have enough picks in this year's draft to start a new rebuild. Tough decisions need to be made.
Disagree.

Under good tutelage and game plan, Billings will be a gun. So will a few others I reckon.

The rebuild only started for us 3 years ago with the Billings draft really.

Free agents, the draft and patience are the key.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

saint-stu wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 6:06pm
Kick-it-lace-out wrote:If we could get a top 15 pick for him, I'd do it. We need outside midfield class and speed. As good as JB is, he's a HFF - they are replaceable. Let's face it, when you take the emotion out of it, the current crop of players have not delivered. Sure, not just the players fault, but our rebuild has failed. We need to start again, and unfortunately we just don't have enough picks in this year's draft to start a new rebuild. Tough decisions need to be made.
He is one of our few high quality players. I'd rather lose Richo as he hasn't shown us anything yet.
You are absolutely correct regarding JBs talent. Never in doubt. Just saying that if we want to bring in more elite talent in the areas of the ground where we are currently weak, then we need to give something up. JB is our only real asset that is close to A grade, and that other clubs might offer something decent for. Just my opinion, and I'd be just as glad to see him stick around.

Whiskey
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 6:07pm
Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 6:00pm If we could get a top 15 pick for him, I'd do it. We need outside midfield class and speed. As good as JB is, he's a HFF - they are replaceable. Let's face it, when you take the emotion out of it, the current crop of players have not delivered. Sure, not just the players fault, but our rebuild has failed. We need to start again, and unfortunately we just don't have enough picks in this year's draft to start a new rebuild. Tough decisions need to be made.
Disagree.

Under good tutelage and game plan, Billings will be a gun. So will a few others I reckon.

Agreed the players have loads of potential. They just haven't flourished under mr pleasing

saint-stu
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote:
saint-stu wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 6:06pm
You are absolutely correct regarding JBs talent. Never in doubt. Just saying that if we want to bring in more elite talent in the areas of the ground where we are currently weak, then we need to give something up. JB is our only real asset that is close to A grade, and that other clubs might offer something decent for. Just my opinion, and I'd be just as glad to see him stick around.
We got Clarke and Coff for 7 and 8 last year. Billings is better than both and was better in his first year than either are now. I cant see how downgrading Billings to a green pick 15 is helping.

1ac46a38
dragit
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 5:54pm There is big s*** going down atm.
What are you hearing parkey?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 31 Aug 2018 6:07pm
Disagree.

Maybe.

I'm not sold on Billings. Could be a dead set gun but I think he may drown in the expectation... No matter where he goes or who is coaching him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

My Understanding is he is not on his own.
Billings, Acres and Steven are the ones I’ve heard. But this is from a source that is involved at a different club.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven too? FMD

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Are any of these players bigger than the club?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....