How does Richo turn this around?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: How does Richo turn this around?

takeaway wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 3:51pm
I'm not necessarily a supporter of Richo, but am happy to give him 2019...

This nails how I feel.

How does that really really old saying go, "in for a penny, in for a pound".

There's enough for mine to suggest it's worth rolling the dice.

Pulling the trigger this year would have been premature especially considering the high intel and knowledge base, not to mention industry pull we have gained in having Lethlean come on board and guide us through this challenging period.

What did Clarko call em last night, was it sheep, so much angst towards the prez, CEO and coach and yet the postion that's possibly more influential than all of those other footy irrelevant positions combined is currently filled by a heavy hitter and yet most pelicans persistently froth and bubble thier full membership's worth for ya good ole "circuit breaka".

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Didn't that heavy hitter also tow the company line and just blame the players for where we sit as a footy club?

Every one who supports Richo has blamed the players. The damage has been done and the ONLY circuit breaker is for Richo to walk. I believe whoever remains in their roles from the admin and footy department will then reassess and apologise to the existing players.

Interesting post from tony74 just prior to the Essendon match. He made a brave prediction that implied that the effort and possibly the result against Essendon would indicate whether Richo 'had lost the players or not'. It turned out to be another dissapointing loss and it also turned out ( at this stage ) to be another confusing and hollow statement from an insider.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95981&p=1748875&hilit=lost#p1748875

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Blame? I think the comments were far removed from the definition of blame. However I can see how certain mindets could interpret them as blame.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 9:22pm Didn't that heavy hitter also tow the company line and just blame the players for where we sit as a footy club?

Every one who supports Richo has blamed the players. The damage has been done and the ONLY circuit breaker is for Richo to walk. I believe whoever remains in their roles from the admin and footy department will then reassess and apologise to the existing players.

Interesting post from tony74 just prior to the Essendon match. He made a brave prediction that implied that the effort and possibly the result against Essendon would indicate whether Richo 'had lost the players or not'. It turned out to be another dissapointing loss and it also turned out ( at this stage ) to be another confusing and hollow statement from an insider.

"Every one who supports Richo has blamed the players" Everyone? Who do you actually mean?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He resigns

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

Richo is a joke.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 10:13pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 9:22pm Didn't that heavy hitter also tow the company line and just blame the players for where we sit as a footy club?

"Every one who supports Richo has blamed the players" Everyone? Who do you actually mean?
From the moment that most of us realised that this season was shot, the marketing spin had to change the narrative and make some excuses to keep the natives from getting too restless and essentially stall the supporter base from demanding the CEO and the board be overthrown. Richo perhaps got some tuition and he began deflecting blame away from himself ( and away from the muppets who extnded his contract). The cunning plan was to use players as their scapegoat.

It started with the comments regarding lack of skills and confidence and snowballed with the announcements that Richo wanted to target experienced 'leaders' and wanted major changes to the list. Mind you, this is the same list that he has been in charge of for the last 5 years.

The fact that he is still employed means that 'everyone' who has some say in the running of the club and the hiring or firing of staff is so far supporting Richo and therefore they must also be supporting his comments. We are chasing Hannebery, and it seems that 'everyone' is supporting Richo's belief that he needs to import leadership and skills rather than develop our youth organically.

It's just so farcking St Kilda to NOT learn from the mistakes of the recent past. I suppose when Toss Lyon was allowed to import other teams recycled players at least we were playing in finals. Point is that unless you can teach and develop the youth that you draft into your football club you are doomed to be an eternal cellar dweller. Unless Richo changes the narrative. We are kidding ourselves trying to top up with a few has beens. I will not be convinced that Richo is genuinely interested in turning things around and creating the foundations for this team to be a contender. At this stage he is just looking after his self interest

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 2:35am
takeaway wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 10:13pm

From the moment that most of us realised that this season was shot, the marketing spin had to change the narrative and make some excuses to keep the natives from getting too restless and essentially stall the supporter base from demanding the CEO and the board be overthrown. Richo perhaps got some tuition and he began deflecting blame away from himself ( and away from the muppets who extnded his contract). The cunning plan was to use players as their scapegoat.

It started with the comments regarding lack of skills and confidence and snowballed with the announcements that Richo wanted to target experienced 'leaders' and wanted major changes to the list. Mind you, this is the same list that he has been in charge of for the last 5 years.

The fact that he is still employed means that 'everyone' who has some say in the running of the club and the hiring or firing of staff is so far supporting Richo and therefore they must also be supporting his comments. We are chasing Hannebery, and it seems that 'everyone' is supporting Richo's belief that he needs to import leadership and skills rather than develop our youth organically.

It's just so farcking St Kilda to NOT learn from the mistakes of the recent past. I suppose when Toss Lyon was allowed to import other teams recycled players at least we were playing in finals. Point is that unless you can teach and develop the youth that you draft into your football club you are doomed to be an eternal cellar dweller. Unless Richo changes the narrative. We are kidding ourselves trying to top up with a few has beens. I will not be convinced that Richo is genuinely interested in turning things around and creating the foundations for this team to be a contender. At this stage he is just looking after his self interest
Whew. Some more Scollopino mythomania.

kalsaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 06 Sep 2018 8:19pm Yes it’s all doom and gloom here at the moment - I myself have posted more than my fair share of criticism as of late...

Serious question... it looks like Richo will lead us into 2019, how can he turn this around?

The club must see something in him... what is it?

Obviously 2017 looked a lot better, surely he was doing something right? What was it?

Richo supporters, I’m looking at you. What are his strengths, what should he do that he’s capable of doing?

This below is my thoughts back in May (updated from my end of season review last year)

Whilst stagnation was predictable, few predicted a fall from grace as great as this.
Many forumites here like myself were unsold on Richo even before this season... Bluthy comes to mind, Con G too and I’m sure many others.

For me personally my concerns have centred around Richo’s:
- Conservative nature both in terms of persisting with injured/struggling players but also in terms of how he lines plays the selected players. Acres is still yet to find his way into the centre, Minch has been on a HFF for 5 years etc etc

- Problem solving. 3 years ago the ruck dilemma was Hickey is a decent around the ground utility that can get slaughtered in the centre and Longer is a beast in the middle then goes invisible. 3 years later it’s essentially the same exact dilemma. We have yet to find a way to get 2 rucks in the team and have persevered in destroying Bruce and Acres games by playing them as rucks

- Psychology. Enough has been made of our goal kicking yips. Everybody always looks as the North game this year and the Melb + Ess game last season as examples of when we didn’t turn up... what many forget is that on all 3 occasions the opposition didn’t turn up at the bounce either and that the games were all on the line at 1/2 time. The difference was after 1/2 the opposition got their stuff together and blew us out of the water. I guess m point is I don’t remember a time more recently... pbly since the Bulldogs game where we bounced back.

To me the question is do we have the system to get the job done? Is the system sound enough? Pressure when good gets us around the mark but execution regularly fails. Reasons for that failure maybe as simple as players dont or cant complete their roles competnetly or simply we have the wrong balance of youth and experience to carry out the system.

What if the system is OK? I would say that lacking game time leadership for impact is a major problem. We said goodbye to Roo and Joey and lost valuable experience. It was quoted mid year that the team had no players with over 200 games. That doesnt make a strong leadership group. What caused this? Lack of thought to recruitment with intent to move on our Leadership from th last 10 years or so. This was serious to me and possibly worst than failure to match the system created by the coaching staff.

The other fault is reputation. We were envied in 2004-2010. We had routine success to various levels but always was around the mark. Reminds you of Geelong maybe? It does to me only they got the ultimate success a few times and we fnished second or third or made up finals numbers. Now we have lost the respect recruitment is impacted severely and we need change. We need to recruit for change. The easy part on coaches has essentially been done (some may argue its not completed).

If the system is not totally knackered we will see a vast improvement in performance (maybe not finals yet). There are caveats. One we need to reinstall leadership across most lines in the playing team. We need to not run our youth into the ground and injure them trying for development. We cant succeed in development until we know the system is reasonable and the team recruitment is changed to get back leadership and have sufficient elites or at least A graders to deliver.

I personally think its a 2 part game to get the playing group to a competitive place. With that the confidence and belief will return. By this I don't mean youth providing happiness because they get selected. I mean confidence that we deliver on conversion, deliver in key contested footy stats and deliver in sufficient skills to enable execution without butchering the ball s much that the team don't hang their heads after huge workloads to see games slip away.

The truth will be seen when we can comeback against other sides and when we don't get thrashed annually by bigger bodied teams who indulge on their percentage increase from playing us,

Richo might be able to move forward a lot if enough change in the club and team occurs and this impacts leadership and capability. Condition and form are greatly associated with the system. That includes medicos, physios, understanding of the plan and execution standards for their roles in game time.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

in for a penny, in for a pound.
said every bankrupt gambler everywhere.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines wrote: Thu 06 Sep 2018 9:30pm Zero optimism if Richo remains. He is killing the club
Yep.
It’s that simple.
He is not even close to an AFL coach.
Last edited by iwantmeseats on Sun 09 Sep 2018 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 1:45pm Richo is calm, measured and clearly very cool under pressure and sustained attack which could come in handy during the really close games.
Lol
God.

chico2001
Club Player

He would be one of the greatest duds ever seen, he could'nt turn his car around in a woolies carpark. Absolute disgrace.

SAAD
Club Player

He has to quit. If we want to entice players to come here we need someone the players respect.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 11:41am He would be one of the greatest duds ever seen, he could'nt turn his car around in a woolies carpark. Absolute disgrace.
That's comedy potential right there.