Anyone watch that rubbish tonight, and still fancy Menzel?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Anyone watch that rubbish tonight, and still fancy Menzel?

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:11am Please no to Menzel, I'd also prefer Lonie.

Speaking of dodgey umpiring, the emergency umpire took the ball off Hawkins at a crucial stage. I've never known an emergency umpire to pay a free kick in 50 years of watching footy. In fact I really think it was totally wrong.

Even boundary umpires and goal umpires don't pay free kicks.
I agree. It was just a scuffle a long way from the ball near the interchange. Even if it was a free it should have been reversed to where the ball was at the time - 25m out from Geelong's goal. Ridiculous.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 8:03am
CURLY wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:32am Can’t play yet Melbourne had their All Australian and best defender on him. Yeah makes sense.
yep, common to put your gun defenders on opposition duds as they know when they can leave their man and help out others, and can rebound
Hibberd was there to lock down as Menzel is Geelongs second best forward behind Hawkins. Not Menzels fault the ball didn't come in for the first quarter.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 11:55pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 11:29pm Menzel was ok had limited opportunities and he will fit in well as he got nothing from the umpires.
hate to tell you Curly because I assume you are over 60.
But have you ever considered... even just for a second... that you are a f****** idiot?

<warning for abuse>
:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Con coming from nowhere with a late claim for POTY! :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:11am Please no to Menzel, I'd also prefer Lonie.

Speaking of dodgey umpiring, the emergency umpire took the ball off Hawkins at a crucial stage. I've never known an emergency umpire to pay a free kick in 50 years of watching footy. In fact I really think it was totally wrong.

Despite that, it was the right decision. Selwood had a complete brain fade.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

That goal he missed - right in front, about 15 metres out. Sheesh!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SuperDuper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 9:32am
CURLY wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:32am Can’t play yet Melbourne had their All Australian and best defender on him. Yeah makes sense.
yep, common to put your gun defenders on opposition duds as they know when they can leave their man and help out others, and can rebound
Hibberd was there to lock down as Menzel is Geelongs second best forward behind Hawkins. Not Menzels fault the ball didn't come in for the first quarter.
well he is useless if he cant perform in a final
So what if he kicks a few against poor teams in H&A

just a shocking decision if we are even looking at him

SuperDuper
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 10:01am
CURLY wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 9:32am
well he is useless if he cant perform in a final
So what if he kicks a few against poor teams in H&A and against the opposition duds

he had 8 touches and kicked 1 behind. I dont care who was on him, that is a shocking performance on any scale. Mav would have done better

just a shocking decision if we are even looking at him

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

No thanks, I'd be looking at a younger less injury prone player. Is Minchington available?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 10:07am No thanks, I'd be looking at a younger less injury prone player. Is Minchington available?
If you are looking for a player that can actually be available to play, most weeks, then Minchington won't, can,t and hasn't been able to deliver.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dud.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 9:46am

Despite that, it was the right decision. Selwood had a complete brain fade.
It was a rubbish call and the umpires will be grilled over it. Both Melbourne players instigated the contact and got Selwood before he retaliated. The umpires enjoyed paying frees against Danger and Selwood last night it was like I will show you who the sta of the show is.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 10:16am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 10:07am No thanks, I'd be looking at a younger less injury prone player. Is Minchington available?
If you are looking for a player that can actually be available to play, most weeks, then Minchington won't, can,t and hasn't been able to deliver.
Thanks Wayne, silly me.

Menzel is still a no. If Geelong who are in desperate need for avenues to goal cannot see the value in him, I cannot understand what value we see. Better off targeting 3rd & 4th year players from top 8 clubs who are sitting about 20th on their lists being starved of opportunity.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is a worry as the club's 2 targets which are supposedly locks according to the rumour mill are Menzel and Hanners.

Hanners looks cooked and is slow. Has injury question marks. We need fast skilled mids in particular. But Steven our only fast mid is rumoured to be on the trade table WTF to both.

Menzel is inconsistent and with a poor injury record. HOWEVER even if both were not so whay do we need him?
  • You can only play one such player in your forward line and we already have Membrey
  • You cannot have Membrey and Menzel in the one forward line and moreso if you want 2 of Bruce, Paddy, Battle or Marshall up there
Menzel will be 27 next year. Mebers is 2.5 years younger.
At 27 he is the type of player that a team might top up with IF they genuinely believe that were a good chance ofa GF tilt in 2019/2020.

Well unless we are getting Gaff and a few others as well that is fanciful thinking by Lethlean.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Come on everyone don’t you think the club will do their due diligence on Menzel?

The club aren’t that stupid.

:|

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 2:03pm Come on everyone don’t you think the club will do their due diligence on Menzel?

The club aren’t that stupid.

:|
Love your sense of humour Pav.

guitars4
Club Player

We need to recruit players to improve our list & I don't think Menzel is a good fit for us but the bottom line is we need some new talent. Unfortunately these type of players are the only ones we are likely attract because they want to stay in the system an extra few years & it may be their option.I much rather Josh Kelly or Dustin Martin but the reality is they don't want to come to us. I don't have the answers to our predicament , so who's a realist player that we can actually get? I can't think of anyone thats young ,talented & would be willing to come at any price. Open for suggestions :?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 9:48am That goal he missed - right in front, about 15 metres out. Sheesh!
He'll be right at home on our fwd line, give him 5 years!

saintadamski
Club Player

Nice to see Petracca...the guy we should have drafted put in another solid performance.

Thanks again Trout and Richo....you fricking flogs

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 4:12pm Nice to see Petracca...the guy we should have drafted put in another solid performance.

Thanks again Trout and Richo....you fricking flogs

Pettracca was slightly above average he wasn’t great.

saintadamski
Club Player

He's been building all season... he dodged a bullet with the saints. Wish him the best in a good team

George27
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 12:01am Downhill skier, no thanks
I went to the game, watched him closely.

Saintbob sums it up nicely for me.

kalsaint
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 11:59pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Sep 2018 11:29pm Menzel was ok had limited opportunities and he will fit in well as he got nothing from the umpires.
Consider this - he has a midfield including Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett and a bloke who had a very good year, Kelly - and he still struggled to touch and win his own ball!?!?

Wot, 27, and a bucket load of knee reco's?!?!

Even Alex Marcou was relatively injury free!
To be honest I was also on the Menzel train. Yes part of the older f**king stupid group at times. He works well in space but Scott now has closed up that space with one of the three dynamo's lingering down forward and Kelly also now running forward. He generally has an opposition player attached to him now and thus his scoring opportunity has reduced considerably. Yesterdays game was a good example as the midfield delivery from Geelong was crap and they look for Hawkins, one of Abblet/Danger or Kelly first. Yes Menzel doesnt have the speed he used to have and gets his goals from balls that get over the defence.

His work ethics not what it used to be. He used to get off his man better.

My preference is now recruit some key leadership and experience into the midfield. Get Membrey into the midfield playing a similar role to Petracca or Kelly. That would use his best attributes; being his marking, ability to get the ball, ability to set up others and occasionally run forward to add to the scoreboard. That eliminates the need for Menzel now and also sets up an interesting selection on a few players that are in and out of the midfield, who are getting some seniority but aren't particularly strong leaders. Our forwards might start to look dangerous, if they aren't injured.

We need the same approach to leadership down back. Losing Joey killed our communication to enable others to break the lines from half back. A Brendon Goddard or Heath Shaw type would have done. They are noisy, insistent and very direct. They wuldnt be around for too long so the players get that instruction would start to acquire the leadership skills needed after they leave the club.

Unfortunatly we cut our potential leaders resulting in a team where no one was over 200 games in experience with some trying to do the job of a minder, tagger and leaders all at once. It leads to poor leadership overall.

Our system was not being reviewed enough.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
chico2001
Club Player

No, I dont think he would be a good pick up..many posters have highlighted his previous injuries and lack of consistency, surely the club would be aware of that as well wouldnt they?........

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I fear we could potentially have a forward line with Menzel, Paddy & Battle.
None overly tall and all three lack lateral movement and agility.
Battle at least can run and has speed & a tank, but Paddy and Menzel are both below par in these areas.

Given we have talls in Bruce & Marshall, medium talls in Paddy & Battle, midsize lead up marking player in Membrey and smalls including Billings, Long, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham I cannot see how we could have any interest in Menzel and where he would fit.

Positives - has skills and reasonable kick for goal.
Negatives - slow, little agility, provides no pressure, significant injury risk.

I'd rather see games pumped into Coffield & Clarke for the long term and and extended run for Lonie than recruit Menzel.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.