The Conundrum of the Hannebery Trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Conundrum of the Hannebery Trade

A 5 year deal to a f**king waddler who can barely kick it over 35m anymore. Are they giving Ryan Gamble (Menzel) 4 years on 900k as well?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Apparently he has asked for a trade.

Could be a massive bust.

Could be a massive win if he can get his body right.

Could be.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Sam McLure reporting on SEN this morning that he believes Hanneberry will get done for either (1) our 2019 2nd round pick or (2) our 2018 priority pick - if we are granted one.

I'd be ok with us effectively taking over his existing contract at Sydney but a straight 5 year deal? God no. Maybe the compromise will be a 3 year deal on the same money but with triggers for 4th and 5th years.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I read in the herald scum this morning that Jake Lloyd hasn't agreed to a deal with Swans and at some point GC had interest.

Personally I'd have Lloyd over Hannebery right now given Lloyds age and fitness.

Yes he is another small backman but he is a very good player and distributor off half back.
I have little confidence in Rice & McKenzie in the long term as AFL players, Geary by foot and White seems to be out of favor with the current coach.

Slot Lloyd in down back and move Geary to a defensive forward, run with defensive mid style, or lock down defender role when necessary. I don't geary him being the play maker out of defence.

The other guy I'd like to see down back is Sinclair.
Sinclair does not have the grunt to win his own ball in the midfield or the aggression or will to apply pressure as a forward.

What Sinclair has is poise with ball in hand and nice foot skills.
Using a combination of Lloyd, Sinclair, Coffield, Roberton and Webster out of the back line gives some good ball users out of the back line and negates the turn overs of Geary & McKenzie and negates and removes the Rice who is a good neat player who unfortunately lacks pace and athleticism.

Also thrown Bruce as an option down back as he has the size, mobility & athleticism required to go with key forwards, something the likes of Paddy & Battle lack.

Backs
Webster - (Austin/Bruce) - (Coffield/Sinclair)
Roberton - Carslile - Lloyd

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:36am Sam McLure reporting on SEN this morning that he believes Hanneberry will get done for either (1) our 2019 2nd round pick or (2) our 2018 priority pick - if we are granted one.

I'd be ok with us effectively taking over his existing contract at Sydney but a straight 5 year deal? God no. Maybe the compromise will be a 3 year deal on the same money but with triggers for 4th and 5th years.
If it was our 2019 2nd round pick I'd warm to it. We can always find a way back into the 2nd round without selling the farm.

Keep our 1st rounders and any priority picks, they are the players, if chosen correctly, we can build our future around and then selectively pick the right FA's or RFA's on a needs basis.

Whilst we are not a "destination club" at present, that can change in 2 or 3 years. I do not want us to be a retirement village for once weres. I saw enough of that when we were once Carlton's Retirement Village...never again!!!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:53am
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:36am Sam McLure reporting on SEN this morning that he believes Hanneberry will get done for either (1) our 2019 2nd round pick or (2) our 2018 priority pick - if we are granted one.

If it was our 2019 2nd round pick I'd warm to it. We can always find a way back into the 2nd round without selling the farm.

Keep our 1st rounders and any priority picks, they are the players, if chosen correctly, we can build our future around and then selectively pick the right FA's or RFA's on a needs basis.

Whilst we are not a "destination club" at present, that can change in 2 or 3 years. I do not want us to be a retirement village for once weres. I saw enough of that when we were once Carlton's Retirement Village...never again!!!
Second rounder for a guy on a massive contract who looks cooked is overs for mine.
Take his full contract to give Swans space but exchange the order of a couple of later picks and that is it.

There is a lot to lose here and very little upside, even if he gets his body right he'll be gone before saints play finals again.

We will be his retirement home and nest egg provider.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I wonder if we can also get Craig O’Brien back as part of the deal.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:57amWe will be his retirement home and nest egg provider.
Bingo, this is back to the bad old days… STK FC - a place to retire on big coin.

Red flags in every direction here… we are targeting a bloke with chronic injuries and a horrible form line because he is mates with Lethers?

If we are going to throw huge money on a risky bet, then we should roll the dice on a young player who we think may grow into a superstar > Setterfield, Taranto, Florent, Cerra, Berry… godfather one of these blokes, not some washed up xavier old boy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:57am

Second rounder for a guy on a massive contract who looks cooked is overs for mine.
Take his full contract to give Swans space but exchange the order of a couple of later picks and that is it.

There is a lot to lose here and very little upside, even if he gets his body right he'll be gone before saints play finals again.

I understand that Joffa and like your trading idea a lot more. If we got him for that, fantastic.

I don't so much see his value as the Hannerbury of 2014 but his IP coming from a very well run club, his experience and leadership qualities. All that is invaluable to the demographics of our current list.

Exchange of round 2 trades, heavily front end it so we can load up for 2020, 2021 and 2022.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

This trade just reeks of a player that’s past it making sure he gets his pay day before being spat out of the AFL system. Pretty sad if this is the only type of deal St Kilda can get done.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I honestly can’t believe Richardson and Lethlean are so keen on this bloke because if it backfires and that’s a distinct possibility, it will completely f*** their careers not to mention the club!!!

repta
Club Player

Hannebery to take Freemans space on the list --- The "If we can get him right" medical spot . Because our resources are so far superior to the Swans ones (or Collingwood for Freeman).

Better yet lets give up our first round or second round (eg priority pick) in the deepest draft in a generation.

Awesome deal.

He wants out, Sydney will want him out. 4 round at best. Take it or leave it. We are doing Sydney a favour

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

repta wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 11:16am Hannebery to take Freemans space on the list --- The "If we can get him right" medical spot . Because our resources are so far superior to the Swans ones (or Collingwood for Freeman).

Better yet lets give up our first round or second round (eg priority pick) in the deepest draft in a generation.

Awesome deal.

He wants out, Sydney will want him out. 4 round at best. Take it or leave it. We are doing Sydney a favour
Yep. I concur.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 11:08am
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:57am

I understand that Joffa and like your trading idea a lot more. If we got him for that, fantastic.

I don't so much see his value as the Hannerbury of 2014 but his IP coming from a very well run club, his experience and leadership qualities. All that is invaluable to the demographics of our current list.

Exchange of round 2 trades, heavily front end it so we can load up for 2020, 2021 and 2022.
Agree ghost, no issue getting him just don't want to be bent over into paying óvers' through desperation.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 11:06am
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:57amWe will be his retirement home and nest egg provider.
Bingo, this is back to the bad old days… STK FC - a place to retire on big coin.

Red flags in every direction here… we are targeting a bloke with chronic injuries and a horrible form line because he is mates with Lethers?

If we are going to throw huge money on a risky bet, then we should roll the dice on a young player who we think may grow into a superstar > Setterfield, Taranto, Florent, Cerra, Berry… godfather one of these blokes, not some washed up xavier old boy.
Agree totally dragit.

Cerra, Florent & Setterfield for me with godfather offers.

I've been writing it for a while on here and believe Setterfield will be a superstar in 3 years time.
I have seen him play at lower level before injured - wow!

Trades for me, assuming we get a priority pick.
#4 and next years (3rd round) + Acres to Freo for Cerra & #8
#8 & a shuffle of later picks in Sydney's favor for Florent & Sydney's second rounder (unlikely to get anything back)
Our priority pick to GWS for Setterfield

In Cerra, Florent & Setterfield - no first round draftee & a second round draftee maybe
Out #picks plus Acres

Why would I do this?
Because I think we'll pick a King instead of a Walsh or Rankine with our first pick.

CarlD
Club Player

outside66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:11pm

Agree totally dragit.

I've been writing it for a while on here and believe Setterfield will be a superstar in 3 years time.

#8 & a shuffle of later picks in Sydney's favor for Florent & Sydney's second rounder (unlikely to get anything back)

In Cerra, Florent & Setterfield - no first round draftee & a second round draftee maybe
Out #picks plus Acres

Why would I do this?
Because I think we'll pick a King instead of a Walsh or Rankine with our first pick.
Setterfield is a lock to go to Carlton and IF we get a priority pick (I highly doubt that we will) then it wouldn't be until end of/after the first round.

outside66
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:11pm

Agree totally dragit.

Out #picks plus Acres

Why would I do this?
Setterfield is a lock to go to Carlton and IF we get a priority pick (I highly doubt that we will) then it wouldn't be until end of/after the first round.

derby Street
Club Player

Nominated the Saints?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Cerra has just signed a contract extension at the Dockers Joffa!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:21pm Nominated the Saints?
Yep, Hannebery on herald sun site nominates Saints for trade.
Just waiting on Daisy Thomas and Jarrod Waite to reverse retirement decisions and nominate joining us :lol:

stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:41pm
Just waiting on Daisy Thomas and Jarrod Waite to reverse retirement decisions and nominate joining us :lol:
Bit worried about you Joffa, first Cerra, now Thomas!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Schillaci
Club Player

Old and injury prone has been. Let"s get him and be excited.
OMG.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry, Lethers has done his due diligence.

Lethers idea of a due diligence is copping a feel.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:43pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 6:41pm
Bit worried about you Joffa, first Cerra, now Thomas!!!!!
Yep, Thomas joining saints is the inside word.
Coming as a replacement for Mav who is going to North on $700k a year deal :lol: