Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

It's a great pity that the first game where we saw Ross seem to get it all together, including dealing with the criticisms about not kicking straight and not hitting the scoreboard, the whole of the rest of the team seemed to fall apart around him! Was it against the Dogs? I really thought he was going to lift the team to the next level that night. How wrong can you be!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

People comparing him to Ross.. my god.. Do these people watch football? Shiel is a linebreaking game breaking stud.. they’re incomparable. Shiel plays about 70% game time and is a burst clearance line breaker.. he’s A Grade.. Ross is nowhere near A Grade

saint-stu
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:People comparing him to Ross.. my god.. Do these people watch football? Shiel is a linebreaking game breaking stud.. they’re incomparable. Shiel plays about 70% game time and is a burst clearance line breaker.. he’s A Grade.. Ross is nowhere near A Grade
Stuv would be a better comparison?

1ac46a38
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 11:59am People comparing him to Ross.. my god.. Do these people watch football? Shiel is a linebreaking game breaking stud.. they’re incomparable. Shiel plays about 70% game time and is a burst clearance line breaker.. he’s A Grade.. Ross is nowhere near A Grade
I don't think it's people comparing them as such - it's just that their stats are freakishly similar.

Across the board.

The 'line breaking' part isn't really measured anywhere - but Clearances, Disposals, Disposal Efficiency, Inside 50s, Rebound 50s are eerily similar.

It could be that Ross is better than he gets credit for, or Shiel is overrated.

Or it could be that the value Shiel supposedly adds beyond what Ross does isn't measurable.

But regardless, their statistical output is the same.

Rocket
Club Player

No Gaff
No Polec

3rd time lucky Sheil ? Whisper is he will live in Brighton. Surely he wants a 5 minute drive.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 1:30pm
mightysainters wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 11:59am People comparing him to Ross.. my god.. Do these people watch football? Shiel is a linebreaking game breaking stud.. they’re incomparable. Shiel plays about 70% game time and is a burst clearance line breaker.. he’s A Grade.. Ross is nowhere near A Grade
I don't think it's people comparing them as such - it's just that their stats are freakishly similar.

Across the board.

The 'line breaking' part isn't really measured anywhere - but Clearances, Disposals, Disposal Efficiency, Inside 50s, Rebound 50s are eerily similar.

Or it could be that the value Shiel supposedly adds beyond what Ross does isn't measurable.

For someone who is perceived to have a largely minimal impact on the game, Ross' stats are really quite compelling.

Apparently if you compare Nat Fyfe's stats when he was Ross' age, there is also very little separating them. But as you said, stats are probably only measuring so much.

I do think though that while very few are naive enough to suggest Ross is comparable to Shiel or even Fyfe, I get the feeling that his best could be elite and that's still yet to come.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
BenLong#21
Club Player

Demons bound?
Tyson and Hogan are out the door so they have plenty of draft picks and salary cap available.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

BenLong#21 wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 4:59pm Demons bound?
Tyson and Hogan are out the door so they have plenty of draft picks and salary cap available.
So far the rumours are us, Hawks, Bombers and Blues.

Any offer we make will be easily matched by the Blues. The Bombers and Hawks can't offer as much, but are more "destination" clubs, so still makes it hard.

I don't see us having a unique edge to snare him, so the club really needs to be selling him an inspiring yet convincing message about where the club is going.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Shiel meeting with interested Vic clubs in the next couple of weeks. Still a chance.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

GWS have given the green light for Shiel to meet with Victorian clubs.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gia ... 50681.html

stonecold
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:11pm GWS have given the green light for Shiel to meet with Victorian clubs.

That's cause he has been meeting them for a while now!!!!! ;)

Thought they better make it officially public knowledge!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
bergsone
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:28pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:11pm GWS have given the green light for Shiel to meet with Victorian clubs.

Does that mean his management has been meeting,now Shiel is himself going to meet face to face with club reps

takeaway
Club Player

Club is certainly out and about chasing various players, as they said they would be. I reckon Shiel to Blues.

stonecold
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:47pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:28pm

Does that mean his management has been meeting,now Shiel is himself going to meet face to face with club reps
Management!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Train9

Train9 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 3:15pm Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time reader of this forum.

With Dylan Shiel, I have some information.
We have put a godfather offer to him which is nearly too good to refuse. But if he does entertain the idea, he wants questions answered in regards to which way the club is going etc.

5 weeks ago Sydney were on the box seat which has only just come to media attention as he does love living in Sydney.

I’m not a “ITK” or anything like that, but with this the source is pretty spot on 👍

Be a few interesting weeks coming up!

Go Saints
Hello everyone,
Got a little update on Shiel.
It’s between Carlton and saints ..with him leaning towards the saints 🙌 could be exciting times ahead.
Sounds like Mr Lethlean isn’t mucking around
See how we go 👍

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Train9 wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 9:47am
Train9 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 3:15pm Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time reader of this forum.

With Dylan Shiel, I have some information.
We have put a godfather offer to him which is nearly too good to refuse. But if he does entertain the idea, he wants questions answered in regards to which way the club is going etc.

5 weeks ago Sydney were on the box seat which has only just come to media attention as he does love living in Sydney.

I’m not a “ITK” or anything like that, but with this the source is pretty spot on 👍

Be a few interesting weeks coming up!

Go Saints
Hello everyone,
It’s between Carlton and saints ..with him leaning towards the saints 🙌 could be exciting times ahead.
See how we go 👍
Noice.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Hello everyone,
See how we go 👍
That is both good and bad news there. What is he going to cost? I.e. is it our pick 4 as I would prefer to go tot he draft. Yes it is a risk but I don't think Shiel is worth pick 4 and Rankine, Smith or Walsh (dreaming) seem to have super star qualities about them. If its cash only fine or a second round draft pick next year ok but not a first round. Dont forget GWS has salary cap issues as well so they don't hold all the cards.

Train9

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 10:12am
Hello everyone,
See how we go 👍
That is both good and bad news there. What is he going to cost? I.e. is it our pick 4 as I would prefer to go tot he draft. Yes it is a risk but I don't think Shiel is worth pick 4 and Rankine, Smith or Walsh (dreaming) seem to have super star qualities about them. If its cash only fine or a second round draft pick next year ok but not a first round. Dont forget GWS has salary cap issues as well so they don't hold all the cards.
I’m not sure about draft picks from the saints end, but think it will cost us our pick 4? Apparantly Carlton aren’t letting go of their 1st pick and them not getting a compensation pick has hurt their planning a bit.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 1:30pm

Across the board.

What you’re not taking into account is our ball winning midfield is terrible and at the end of the day someone is gonna get the stats. Shiel plays in a midfield where there’s probably 4 A graders. Stats are incredibly deceiving a lot of the time.

Shiel is not overrated he’s A Grade and Ross is B at best.. Shiel is that much better... throw the kitchen sink at Shiel
But alas reality is he signed with Hawks about 2 months ago

SAAD
Club Player

Hope people are right here about Dylan Shiel to us. My mate was out drinking with some Carlton players and they said 100% he is going to Blues. Dylan was a Carlton supporter and his whole family are Carlton supporters. His dog is called Juddy. This is all hearsay obviously and could be B.S but apparently Judd has been talking with Dylan a lot lately in trying to get him to go to Visy Park. I know who they supported as a kid doesn't necessarily mean anything otherwise Dusty and Rory could have come to us. Hopefully we snag him...

Train9

SAAD wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 2:19pm Hope people are right here about Dylan Shiel to us. My mate was out drinking with some Carlton players and they said 100% he is going to Blues. Dylan was a Carlton supporter and his whole family are Carlton supporters. His dog is called Juddy. This is all hearsay obviously and could be B.S but apparently Judd has been talking with Dylan a lot lately in trying to get him to go to Visy Park. I know who they supported as a kid doesn't necessarily mean anything otherwise Dusty and Rory could have come to us. Hopefully we snag him...
Yes he was a mad Carlton supporter growing up and his whole family go for Carlton but at the minute, our financial offer is better than Carlton’s. Sounds like Judd and Carlton are trying a few things going on reports, so see what happens 🤷‍♂️

SAAD
Club Player

Fingers crossed

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:58am

What you’re not taking into account is our ball winning midfield is terrible and at the end of the day someone is gonna get the stats. Shiel plays in a midfield where there’s probably 4 A graders. Stats are incredibly deceiving a lot of the time.

Shiel is not overrated he’s A Grade and Ross is B at best.. Shiel is that much better... throw the kitchen sink at Shiel
But alas reality is he signed with Hawks about 2 months ago
It's a fair point, and one I did mention in an earlier post.

Saint_J
Club Player

I hope he picks Carlton, not impressed with his kicking and don't think he's worth the money or our first pick. I'd prefer scully

derby Street
Club Player

Saint_J wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:36pm I hope he picks Carlton, not impressed with his kicking and don't think he's worth the money or our first pick. I'd prefer scully
Only if he costs the scums No 1 pick