On Borrowed Time - Sorry, Another Richo Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: On Borrowed Time - Sorry, Another Richo Thread

Just say Alanluyah, Richoice and accept the fact.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 27 Sep 2018 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

takeaway
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 1:19pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:07am
SaintPav wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:32am
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:18am
Scollop wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:53pm
Cairnsman wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:57pm Hardwick couldn't even coach his team to back-to-back flags, they should have sacked him when they had thier chance and as for Buckely, well his team will probably win the flag this week which will make their supporters furious becuase it just makes Bucks look like a genius.

I hope we don't win too many games next year because this trend of not sacking coaches and then winning games could become a bloody new fad. The AFL ruined everything when they made it a national comp.
Bulldust dressed up as sarcasm. Fake news, fake hope and hypotheticals versus the reality of 2018

The amount of money at Tigerland means they can afford to look after their players a lot better than us. When we have as many members and as much money as Collingwood and Richmond we'll be a glamour destination club and we'll recruit gun stars like Treloar and Adams and FA's like Tom Lynch.

In the meantime we endure another 5 years of mediocrity before a total cleanout and rebuild in 2023..or we get a different coach early next year and anything's possible
Did you hear the one about the coach blaming the players for losing a game, you can't Google it because it's "common knowledge" and only an "impression", however if you search this board you will find plenty of hilarious yarns about it. You should also be able to find info about it on other social media sites especially BF, heaps of factual info over there about the coach. But hey don't believe any threads that throw up evidence it is a fake story or an "impression" that only exists in angry supporters heads. Whatever you do don't get sucked in.
Why are you trying to Google everything?

Try listening to the pressers after each game. It’s all there.
What's all there? Just stock standard stuff stated by most coaches after they lose, or even sometimes after a win. "Kicking let us down", "we were beaten in the middle", "pressure was down", etc etc. No, nothing there.
Killing two birds with one stone. It’s all here.

http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=1 ... .77.6.1121

Or this heuristic might be handy if you can't be bothered reading the article.

Very good. I like it. Richo apparently tested in the 85th percentile, so maybe he is beyond the reach of the plebs.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 11:27pm
Cairnsman wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:57pm Hardwick couldn't even coach his team to back-to-back flags, they should have sacked him when they had thier chance and as for Buckely, well his team will probably win the flag this week which will make their supporters furious becuase it just makes Bucks look like a genius.

I hope we don't win too many games next year because this trend of not sacking coaches and then winning games could become a bloody new fad. The AFL ruined everything when they made it a national comp.

1. Richmond paid for a a full independent review by Ernst and Young in 2016
2. Buckley never fell below 50% win rate.
Can we PLEASE stop bringing in winning percentages when comparing Richo and Buckley as if it's an even comparison? One inherited a premiership team and one took over a bottom-feeding basketcase, I'm not for a second saying Richo is better than Bucks or anything but FFS can we stop comparing their respective win rates, it's completely inane and proves absolutely nothing about whether either is a good coach...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
stkfc1
Club Player

Think its safe to say if we lose the majority of our first 5 games next season nothing will save him. Finnis will be shown the door also.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 9:14am The mistake I have made in getting frustrated/angry is to assume the club's primary purpose was to win AFL games. That is clearly not true. Poor analogy but just as politics has become for the pollies and parties and not the citizens the St. KFC has become a sinecure for the senior staff not particularly concerned with the members interests/preference for a side that can occasionally play finals - notwithstanding occasional emails saying they feel our pain (BS). None of the other clubs care we are hopeless and therefore neither does the AFL, particularly with its current management that posture and look for new ideas rather than keeping the comp even. I fear that unless there is a powerful group that actually cares about on field performance and ride in over the hill to the rescue it will be same same for the long haul, pending a natural disaster. Even if AR was sacked I don't think the current management could get a good replacement if he/she fell onto their morning chai. I have to find some other interest during the footy season to ease my despair. How are the Storm going?
I sincerely feel your pain. Wonderful post Yorkeys

samoht
Saintsational Legend

The more of these blame the coach threads and posts I see, the more I'm going to insist ....

If we had Collingwood's recruiters over the last 5-12 years and they had ours, we'd be playing in the GF right now, and they'd be in our position.
After all, good recruiting has made Buckley (this is the same Buckley we're talking about who everyone had given up on and was trying to get rid of) into a genius coach.

Smart recruiting ... that's the only way - and there are no easy fixes - you slowly bring in the right players with the right skills over time, year by year, and slowly improve your team relative to other teams who are not
recruiting as well, and you build success and forge ahead, regardless of who the coach is - even with Buckley as coach, you will succeed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:10am
Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:35am Just deplorable clubs being held to ransom by a muppet
33% win record, 5 years , told us all it was a “finals bound list”... now all the players fault
Gets a 2 year extension...
Only at St Kilda
You seem upset, best take a Bex and have lie down. Did you read in BF that 67% of losses were the player's fault
No I read on SS that there is no evidence of any issues whatsoever at the club and thatvthis years bottom ladder finish was all part of the “Road to 2018” which ends Saturday....we’re still a chance according to you !!

“Yeah….nah””
BenLong#21
Club Player

samoht wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 4:00pm The more of these blame the coach threads and posts I see, the more I'm going to insist ....

If we had Collingwood's recruiters over the last 5-12 years and they had ours, we'd be playing in the GF right now, and they'd be in our position.
After all, good recruiting has made Buckley (this is the same Buckley we're talking about who everyone had given up on and was trying to get rid of) into a genius coach.

Smart recruiting ... that's the only way - and there are no easy fixes - you slowly bring in the right players with the right skills over time, year by year, and slowly improve your team relative to other teams who are not
recruiting as well, and you build success and forge ahead, regardless of who the coach is - even with Buckley as coach, you will succeed.
Buckley is so far ahead of the Cho in every single aspect of life it isnt funny.

takeaway
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:52pm
samoht wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 4:00pm The more of these blame the coach threads and posts I see, the more I'm going to insist ....

Buckley is so far ahead of the Cho in every single aspect of life it isnt funny.
Don't think so - has Bucks done the Kokoda Trail?

saintadamski
Club Player

Agree 100%

The worst recruiting in decades has lead to our current situation.
If I hear another 'players aren't playing for the coach" Bullsh*t, I'm going to puke.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 11:37am
Sainternist wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:05pm So the rumours of Richo being sacked have certainly subsided in the last couple of weeks. Seems like most (even the naysayers) are almost begrudgingly willing to accept he'll remain at the helm next year.

Has there been a coach to have such a poor record and still manage to keep his job in AFL/VFL history? He's like Jimmy McGill (alias Saul Goodman) in being able to talk his way out of the most dire situations, even when staring down the barrel of a hitman's gun. Gotta hand it to him, he really is an old smoothy.

This whole theory of "if Bucks and Dimma can do it, so can Richo" has really sucked a lot of people in. Forgive me for being skeptical, but I'll only be convinced he can actually coach if can get the team to really turn the corner in 2019. Of course, there is his contract to contend with, which he somehow sweet-talked his way in extending in 2017. And with the club desperate to lure some good playing acquisitions, perhaps it's not good PR to sack the coach and give the impression of club instability.

The time bomb is ticking louder than ever for Richo. He'd better find a way of defusing it or he can go down in club history as a mistake who wasted 5+ years of our time.
Absolute yawnfest here. Sorry, but I think you need to reduce the sodium intake as you're starting to sound like a broken record. Richo is our coach and the problem perceived within the club was that the structure around him had become stale hence why they are bringing in the likes of Ratten, Lade, the data bloke from Hawthorn, and there is another big assistant announcement coming up. I saw that your petition to have Richo removed only garnered 39 signatures which I think says a fair bit... The club have publicly backed him and would look like an absolute basket case if they flipped on that. If things don't change next year under a new coaching structure, increased fitness for the young group by way of a pre-season, re-enforcements (both injured blokes and new recruits), then I'd expect the club to act accordingly.
I couldn't give a damn what you think of that petition. It was done out of pure frustration. If you weren't frustrated by the by the display of downhill skiing from the team, then you must be a better man than I am, Gunga Din. Please, tell me why Richardson shouldn't be held accountable for this shambolic season?

It boggles the mind why everyone is suddenly sold on this idea of that a team of new assistants around Richardson will magically make him a better coach. His game plans and strategies simply weren't conducive for the players he has. After the season was a write off (long before the halfway point), he still didn't try and tweak it. Just persisted with the same old garbage and team only stagnated.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Relatively poor recruiting sure, guessing also the list manager(s) probably had terribly confusing briefs from the likes of Lyon, then Watters and then Richo i.e. no consistent strategic context to work with plus the uncertainty or even tactical paralysis the end of Roo and Joeys careers brought in their twilight years. Nonetheless the comparison with Nathan Buckley is overreach. Nathan has had a long and good record especially playing away, even if he might not have won games his outmatched teams very often by way of set up and style put in good performances. Against conventional wisdom he got rid of players like H. Shaw and he didn't embrace Dane Swan i.e. he was prepared to let talent go to build a team ethos he wanted. He has been proved right. Mason Cox may never play another good game, but Bucks coached him to win the Pies a GF spot. Richo has shown no evidence of a long term vision, has not developed any key position player and displayed no tactical nous. He is the beneficiary of a timid board and a distracted ill equipped CEO. 2019 will be his last year, that will then make it at least 10 years between finals appearances as someone else tries to pick up the pieces. At least. It is difficult to be passively resigned to this debacle after all the others we have endured. Viability will be questioned when competition size is revisited once Gillon is replaced and TV ratings hit rock bottom. The story line when Richo is sacked next year will be why on earth did it take so long for those suckers to have the penny drop, sprinkled with a few statistics on a record level of losses. If I thought there was the slightest chance a petition would help I would have signed it but the club is committed. Banzai!

Saints43
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Teflon wrote: Thu 27 Sep 2018 8:35am Just deplorable clubs being held to ransom by a muppet
33% win record, 5 years , told us all it was a “finals bound list”... now all the players fault
Gets a 2 year extension...
Only at St Kilda
And now he knows next year is his last chance, his back to the wall. He'll either turn it around or be gone before next season is out.
It's going to be interesting watching Richo coach (select) for his career considering the previous was meant to be the development phase.. Image
Given his preference for strength at the contest (sigh) I wouldn't fancy being a young player at the club in 2019.

Saints43
Club Player

outside66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 9:05pm So the rumours of Richo being sacked have certainly subsided in the last couple of weeks. Seems like most (even the naysayers) are almost begrudgingly willing to accept he'll remain at the helm next year.

Has there been a coach to have such a poor record and still manage to keep his job in AFL/VFL history? He's like Jimmy McGill (alias Saul Goodman) in being able to talk his way out of the most dire situations, even when staring down the barrel of a hitman's gun. Gotta hand it to him, he really is an old smoothy.

This whole theory of "if Bucks and Dimma can do it, so can Richo" has really sucked a lot of people in. Forgive me for being skeptical, but I'll only be convinced he can actually coach if can get the team to really turn the corner in 2019. Of course, there is his contract to contend with, which he somehow sweet-talked his way in extending in 2017. And with the club desperate to lure some good playing acquisitions, perhaps it's not good PR to sack the coach and give the impression of club instability.

The time bomb is ticking louder than ever for Richo. He'd better find a way of defusing it or he can go down in club history as a mistake who wasted 5+ years of our time.
Absolute yawnfest here. Sorry, but I think you need to reduce the sodium intake as you're starting to sound like a broken record. Richo is our coach and the problem perceived within the club was that the structure around him had become stale hence why they are bringing in the likes of Ratten, Lade, the data bloke from Hawthorn...
Don't you think that the issue is that Richo himself didn't perceive it. He's been muddling along thinking it's been going pretty well.
Remember him saying we just needed to get back to the form that saw us win in round one (snuck in at home against Brisbane)? He was serious.

takeaway
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 8:16am Relatively poor recruiting sure, guessing also the list manager(s) probably had terribly confusing briefs from the likes of Lyon, then Watters and then Richo i.e. no consistent strategic context to work with plus the uncertainty or even tactical paralysis the end of Roo and Joeys careers brought in their twilight years. Nonetheless the comparison with Nathan Buckley is overreach. Nathan has had a long and good record especially playing away, even if he might not have won games his outmatched teams very often by way of set up and style put in good performances. Against conventional wisdom he got rid of players like H. Shaw and he didn't embrace Dane Swan i.e. he was prepared to let talent go to build a team ethos he wanted. He has been proved right. Mason Cox may never play another good game, but Bucks coached him to win the Pies a GF spot. Richo has shown no evidence of a long term vision, has not developed any key position player and displayed no tactical nous. He is the beneficiary of a timid board and a distracted ill equipped CEO. 2019 will be his last year, that will then make it at least 10 years between finals appearances as someone else tries to pick up the pieces. At least. It is difficult to be passively resigned to this debacle after all the others we have endured. Viability will be questioned when competition size is revisited once Gillon is replaced and TV ratings hit rock bottom. The story line when Richo is sacked next year will be why on earth did it take so long for those suckers to have the penny drop, sprinkled with a few statistics on a record level of losses. If I thought there was the slightest chance a petition would help I would have signed it but the club is committed. Banzai!
"I see Bucks said today he wants to see more of our “brand”..

5 odd years in now, does anyone have the slightest clue of what our brand is?

All I can think of is that Black&White brand (pun intended) they used to have at the supermarket."

One of the less derogatory quotes from a Pies fans THIS YEAR about Bucks. Most were a lot worse. Amazing how game plans can suddenly materialise with some confidence.

I agree Richo is facing a tough task, and if Clarko was available I would be happy to shift Richo, but that is not the case - with improved support, some players in, and more confidence in the existing players, i am looking forward to what 2019 brings.

Saints43
Club Player

We are bringing in new assistants to review and update the gamelan. Richo's job.
We are bringing in senior players to ensure that training standards are met. Richo's job.
We are revamping the failing development department. Richo's alleged specialty.
All we need now is to bring in someone to do the blokes after game members address and he won't have to be involved in anything.
Just sit on the boundary line and collect his 600K p.a.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Richo has got the most out of the fringe and average players that have crossed to us from other clubs - who were stagnating or being overlooked by the stronger clubs due to their strong lists - we just need to recruit a couple of A graders.
Carlisle was a regular at Essendon, but he was only a C grade player, he was no star, Bruce was not getting games, Savage was C grade at best and not getting games, Membrey, Roberton and Steele were similarly being overlooked and not getting games - they've all become solid players for us.

I repeat, they've all become solid players for us.

The Collingwood recruiters only go for quality - that's the difference between us and them, and why they've succeeded and we haven't. It's certainly not the genius of Buckley (they can keep him, but I'd take their recruiters without any hesitation).
We need to recruit A graders and draft the right players, with elite skills - no more list cloggers or injured bargains -- the fact that we were contemplating another C grade ruckman like Lycett says it all.

BenLong#21
Club Player

samoht wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 10:50am Richo has got the most out of the fringe and average players that have crossed to us from other clubs - who were stagnating or being overlooked by the stronger clubs due to their strong lists - we just need to recruit a couple of A graders.
Carlisle was a regular at Essendon, but he was only a C grade player, he was no star, Bruce was not getting games, Savage was C grade at best and not getting games, Membrey, Roberton and Steele were similarly being overlooked and not getting games - they've all become solid players for us.

The Collingwood recruiters only go for quality - that's the difference between us and them, and why they've succeeded and we haven't. It's certainly not the genius of Buckley (they can keep him, but I'd take their recruiters without any hesitation).
We need to recruit A graders and draft the right players, with elite skills - no more list cloggers or injured bargains -- the fact that we were contemplating another C grade ruckman like Lycett says it all.
Are you the Cho's mum?

One problem with the Cho is he cant identify talent. He thinks Newnes and Weller are gun players.

Lets go through your cherry picking delusions.
Best out of Longer? - No
Hickey? - No
Austin? - No.
Weller? - lol
Steele - was only 20 when he came over. GWS had almost won the flag in 2016. He came for opportunity and contract security and $.
Carlisle - Was only young during the drug scandal. A freak set of circumstances.
Bruce - Had one good year.
Savage - Was C grade is still C grade.

4 wins in season.
3rd bottom.
33% in 5 years.

Seriously - if you are happy with the Cho you need your head read.

Can you do my job performance review please?

BenLong#21
Club Player

Saints43 wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 10:03am We are bringing in new assistants to review and update the gamelan. Richo's job.
We are bringing in senior players to ensure that training standards are met. Richo's job.
We are revamping the failing development department. Richo's alleged specialty.
All we need now is to bring in someone to do the blokes after game members address and he won't have to be involved in anything.
Just sit on the boundary line and collect his 600K p.a.

7 years x $600,000 = $4.2 million.

:shock:

BenLong#21
Club Player

Collingwood are full of misfits and fringe players.

Crisp Aish Cox Mayne Varcoe Mihocek Howe Greenwood.

To suggest Buckley has had it handed to him on a platter is laughable.

The worst season Bucks ever had was 9 wins.
A far cry from our 4.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

The Cho has done okay ...there's alway remove for improvement, but give my son a break. It's our recruiters who are holding us back. :)

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 4:56pm The Cho has done okay ...there's alway remove for improvement, but give my son a break. It's our recruiters who are holding us back. :)
OMG. He’s done okay......33% is ok. Nothing to see here. No accountability. It’s all about recruitment. How on earth has he done ok?
Maybe it’s because all coach’s are generic and really pretty much the same. Is that how ok is measured? Let’s get Bambi..she’ll go ok too since they’re all the same.
It’s all and only about recruitment. After that players don’t develop, game plans aren’t relevant, cohesive club culture is not important. Success is only about recruitment. Depending on who you recruit, whatever comes after that is already written in stone. Just recruit the right dudes. Why have any other departments at all? Never mind all this football dept tosh. Just have some admin and logistics guys to book the plane tickets and hand out the jumpers - and let the players play according to their recruited talent. Mid-field coach, forward coach, defensive coach, ruck coach - all a complete waste of time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 4:56pm The Cho has done okay ...there's alway remove for improvement, but give my son a break. It's our recruiters who are holding us back. :)
Utter rubbish

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Coaches are largely generic. Buckley is living proof of that.

The players who came to us from other clubs have developed a lot further - Steele is flying, Roberton was flying, Membrey is solid and our best forward, etc... Their original coaches would be admiring their development
and saying well done.

We just need our recruiters to go after some elite skilled players, and a couple of A graders. No more list cloggers.

One of the worst coaches in the AFL - Buckley - has been made to look like a genius, by his smart recruiters.

Smart recruiting is the key - and some luck with injuries (which we haven't had this year).

I'm hopeful, as long as we get the recruiting right - we need to add a couple of ready made and healthy A grade players with elite skills (not injury affected ones like Hannebury).
Lycett (who is yet another C grade ruckman), Menzel (who is injury prone), a banged up Hannebury, etc.. - we should not be considering them, if we want to improve.

Our recruiting has held us back and I'm hoping that it wont continue to hold us back. This is the area we need to get right.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 10:50am Richo has got the most out of the fringe and average players that have crossed to us from other clubs - who were stagnating or being overlooked by the stronger clubs due to their strong lists - we just need to recruit a couple of A graders.

Gotta look at the facts:
2014 4 wins percentage 60% Wooden spoon
2015 6 wins 1 draw
2016 12 wins - 9th placed finish
2017 11 wins - 11th placed finish
2018 4 wins one draw - 16th placed finish (and veeery fortunate not to finish 17th).

Most of our wins during the seasons 2014-2017 came largely on the back of talent from our 2009/2010 cohort - Roo, Joey, Schneids, Shinner, Chips, Stuv, Armo, and Gears.
Bit of a stretch to say Savage has improved under AR, reckon Clarko had more to do with his development, Carlisle came after years at Essendon.
Membrey and Bruce are struggling to kick straight, which for a forward is a pretty significant handicap, so unsure of how you think they may have improved with us?

In his five years with us we have won 6 games or less three times. Hardly a stunning record, I would've thought. He has already coached us longer than Kenny Sheldon (consecutive finals appearances). 54% winning average.
After the first six games next season he will have coached us longer than Stan Alves (McClelland Cup for finishing top of the ladder at the end of the season, Ansett Cup, Grand Final appearance.)
After the first twelve, longer than Ross Lyon (4 consecutive finals appearances, McClelland Cup Top of the ladder finish, 3 Grand Finals (including a draw), and a Wizard Cup). 67% winning average.
After the first fourteen, longer than Grant Thomas ( 3 consecutive finals campaigns, Wizard Cup).

And those guys, apart from Lyon, didn't inherit an inherently high achieving list either.

My main issue comes from this - at the beginning of the season I posted that we wouldn't make finals this year as we are still playing the same way, and are still underwhelming at the beginning of too many games, as we were in 2015. Take our game against the Swans - every year against them it plays out the same way - just like Groundhog Day.

I don't think any of our players are getting the development and the coaching I would expect at the elite level. Maybe it is the support around the club, and that is why I say this; if AR stays, which the club has pledged is their plan of action, then the assistants need to go, because we can't expect people to travel all the way into the city every Saturday year after year to watch the same disappointing, boring games. People will stop turning up, and we will go the way of South Melbourne and Fitzroy. The changes the club has made so far in the off season don't go nearly deep enough.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 29 Sep 2018 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.