On Borrowed Time - Sorry, Another Richo Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: On Borrowed Time - Sorry, Another Richo Thread

Watching a couple of pros operating the box today verse our nuffie coach really hits home. FMD.

saintadamski
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:44pm
samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:42pm I'm not saying Richo is a good coach. What I'm saying is we really, really need to improve our recruiting. Hannebury, Lycett, Menzel ,,,, why are we continuing to look at list cloggers??
You have been saying richo is a good coach over and over and over again.
You refuse to acknowledge how bad he is.
That's actually not what he's been saying at all.

Holy s***, is it so difficult to understand.

What he's saying is that NO COACH could get far with our list.... which is absolutely correct.

Would a better coach get a better result from our list... slightly yes...maybe. But no where near premiership success...

Because ladies and gentlemen....

OUR LIST OF PLAYERS IS MOSTLY F*UCKING GARBAGE!!!!!
Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Let me repeat myself again and again:
Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

This is our f****** senior group!!!!!
Wake the f*** up!!!!!!!!!! This list is AWFUL!

BenLong#21
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 8:02pm Get Mitchell now as the senior coach. It'll be a big signing all the way. Mitchell was critical for Eagles winning.
Has some merit.

Richo is a mindless copycat who has been trying to copy the Bulldogs and Tigers 'pressure game'. Not very well.

Eagles stuck to their guns and played the Hawks style keepings off with lots of uncontested marks. Lots of kicking and using the whole ground. Hawks style.

Not saying you have to play like that. My point is you play the style that suits your list. Richo just watches who wins the flag and copies. Mindlessly. Without optimising our list strength and weaknesses. A complete follower.

BenLong#21
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 8:14pm
samoht wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 7:42pm I'm not saying Richo is a good coach. What I'm saying is we really, really need to improve our recruiting. Hannebury, Lycett, Menzel ,,,, why are we continuing to look at list cloggers??

What he's saying is that NO COACH could get far with our list.... which is absolutely correct.

Would a better coach get a better result from our list... slightly yes...maybe. But no where near premiership success...

Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

Who keeps picking them week in week out and hoping for a different result?

saintadamski
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 8:32pm

Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

Who keeps picking them week in week out and hoping for a different result?
Yes agreed...Richo has his favorites, and they are rubbish.
Yes agreed, Richo is incompetent.

But also, it's not like we have a well of talent to choose from.

Recruiting must change now!
And Richo will seal his own demise by around round 6, after picking the same garbage for 5 or 6 losses.

That's when I predict real change...not before

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintadamski wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 9:32pmAnd Richo will seal his own demise by around round 6, after picking the same garbage for 5 or 6 losses.
I want to believe that. I think it's much more likely that we trade out a bunch of picks, including future picks, to add in some older players. Then we'll manage to cobble together a few more wins and enough honourable losses for the board to delude themselves into believing Richo's our man headed into 2020. Then we do the same again only to fire Richo after 2020 and the new guy having to rebuild with a bunch of pieces missing.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
dragit
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 10:12pm
saintadamski wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 9:32pmAnd Richo will seal his own demise by around round 6, after picking the same garbage for 5 or 6 losses.
I want to believe that. I think it's much more likely that we trade out a bunch of picks, including future picks, to add in some older players. Then we'll manage to cobble together a few more wins and enough honourable losses for the board to delude themselves into believing Richo's our man headed into 2020. Then we do the same again only to fire Richo after 2020 and the new guy having to rebuild with a bunch of pieces missing.
This is my nightmare too, we are really strong in the contest early in the year playing a bunch of old hacks and somehow scrounge 5 or 6 wins from the first 12 weeks… everyone thinks richo has turned us around, only we are being completely held together by sticky tape.

We have no first decent picks coming in the door for a couple of years straight, because the cho has convinced the club that we were just a couple of players short of really giving the flag a shake so have sold off multiple firsts and second rounders for washed up has-beens… despite telling us for at least 2 years previously that we already have enough talent at the club to get it done.

The dude is like a perpetual Nigerian email scam… just keep transferring first and second rounders and we'll be riding that magical unicorn to glory before long.

Sack him.

Now.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rumour I read on Twitter that Richo will be sacked in November. Have to wait until then due to contractural reasons.

I’ve tweeted the person and trying to get more info (although it was second hand from that person).

Let’s bloody hope so, as we have Ratts already signed up it can be a smooth transition even then.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 9:24am Rumour I read on Twitter that Richo will be sacked in November. Have to wait until then due to contractural reasons.

I’ve tweeted the person and trying to get more info (although it was second hand from that person).

Let’s bloody hope so, as we have Ratts already signed up it can be a smooth transition even then.
It would be nice to have Mitchell as the senior coach, but it's probably not going to happen.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Can someone explain to me why Ratten is suddenly going to be our super-coach saviour? I was never impressed with him at the Blues (and neither were the Blues) - did he do something amazing since then that I missed?

BenLong#21
Club Player

Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

The Senior coach has been there over 5 years.
He shaped his own list
FFS
It isnt that hard to understand.
A coach who knew what he was doing would have done much better than 33%.
The Cho is suburban standard. Which is probably why he fits in well at St Kilda.
7 years is an absolute disgrace for a bloke on 33% after 111 games. It is flat out disgusting.
It is his game plan. His list. His players. His culture.
It is the Cho playing Weller and Newnes and Longer and Savage and Brown every week. The CHO. Nobody else.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 10:03am

Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

He shaped his own list
FFS
The Cho is suburban standard. Which is probably why he fits in well at St Kilda.
7 years is an absolute disgrace for a bloke on 33% after 111 games. It is flat out disgusting.
It is the Cho playing Weller and Newnes and Longer and Savage and Brown every week. The CHO. Nobody else.
RL had a 4 win season at Freo in his 5th year there (2016). You're only as good as your last gig, so how was he travelling given the Freo fortress and significant home ground advantage?
Freo didn't have anywhere the injuries in 2016 that we've had this year.
So our recruiting has been spot on? I think you're over-rating coaches and what they can achieve or should be achieving.
You can only judge a coach in the context of what he has to work with. Richo was reluctant to play a couple of players - this is true - but his so-called favourites weren't keeping a DeGoey out of the side.
Gresham has played from the word go - was he a favourite from the get-go, or is it because he had some standout qualities as a young player, which the coach rated? Gresham was good to go.
Our recruiting is the area that should be of more concern - yet no-one is discussing it??
Last edited by samoht on Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is it necessary to refer to human beings as garbage? These human beings are from families, have a Mum and Dad, brothers and sisters, cousins and friends. They are just like you and I and don't deserve to be referred to in such terribly derogatory terms just for playing sport.

Anyone else agree?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:50am Is it necessary to refer to human beings as garbage? These human beings are from families, have a Mum and Dad, brothers and sisters, cousins and friends. They are just like you and I and don't deserve to be referred to in such terribly derogatory terms just for playing sport.

Anyone else agree?
Me. I agree 100%

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:56am
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:50am Is it necessary to refer to human beings as garbage? These human beings are from families, have a Mum and Dad, brothers and sisters, cousins and friends. They are just like you and I and don't deserve to be referred to in such terribly derogatory terms just for playing sport.

Anyone else agree?
Me. I agree 100%
Also agree 100%. There are plenty of ways to comment and criticise without resorting to purely derogatory terms. All that does is identify the poster as an unintelligent lowlife.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 12:23pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:56am

Anyone else agree?
Me. I agree 100%
Also agree 100%. There are plenty of ways to comment and criticise without resorting to purely derogatory terms. All that does is identify the poster as an unintelligent lowlife.
lol - "unintelligent lowlife"? Er, OK.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else agree?
Bit rich Cairnsman.

Remember you going on about someone’s alleged ethnicity a few years back.

You got a few warnings for it too.

It was a few years back so maybe you learnt and have changed your thinking and behaviour

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sat 29 Sep 2018 10:12pm
Ugly proposition isn’t it....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:25am

Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

He shaped his own list
FFS
RL had a 4 win season at Freo in his 5th year there (2016). You're only as good as your last gig, so how was he travelling given the Freo fortress and significant home ground advantage?
So our recruiting has been spot on? I think you're over-rating coaches and what they can achieve or should be achieving.
You can only judge a coach in the context of what he has to work with. Richo was reluctant to play a couple of players - this is true - but his so-called favourites weren't keeping a DeGoey out of the side.
Gresham has played from the word go - was he a favourite from the get-go, or is it because he had some standout qualities as a young player, which the coach rated? Gresham was good to go.
Our recruiting is the area that should be of more concern - yet no-one is discussing it??
I've read countless threads on recruitment.

FWIW, and probably for the 100th time, I think our recruiting has been good since 2013. I think the List Management has been fine since then.

Prior to that, it was foul. I don't blame recruitment either - as the Drafts were the 'compromised' ones, so we weren't really able to do much during that time. I blame the List Maagement strategy to trade players for picks in compromised Drafts though!

The real issue was the lack of young players coming through in the 2009-2011 period. That's where the list problems really lie. As a result, our senior group is Jack Steven, Geary and Armo.

The period where we recruited the Wright's, Templeton's, Curran's, Minchington's, Saunders' etc. was the big failure of recruiting - but as I said, picking heaps of guns with low picks in compromised drafts is not easy!

Since 2013, we've recruited well. The biggest problem with them though, is that they've haven't had a senior group to bring them through.

They haven't a had a Howe, a Sidebottom, a Pendelbury, a Dunn, a Greenwood, a Varcoe, a Goldsack etc. They haven't had a LeCras, a Hurn, a Kennedy, a Schofield to bring them through.

The crop we've brought to the club since 2013 will be a really good group, when we have a good, solid senior group to bring them through.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Have any players come out and openly and unreservedly declared their man love for Richo?

If they have, I must have missed it...Su-Su-Sussudio..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 1:46pm
Since 2013, we've recruited well. The biggest problem with them though, is that they've haven't had a senior group to bring them through.

They haven't a had a Howe, a Sidebottom, a Pendelbury, a Dunn, a Greenwood, a Varcoe, a Goldsack etc. They haven't had a LeCras, a Hurn, a Kennedy, a Schofield to bring them through.

The crop we've brought to the club since 2013 will be a really good group, when we have a good, solid senior group to bring them through.
We had Roo as Captain during this time. Plus we had Sam Fisher, Schneids, Dempster, Joey and Armo and a few others were showing good signs as emerging leaders. There was perhaps a real strength of leadership that was lost when Lenny Hayes retired.

I think no one has ever truly assessed Roo's leadership and his captaincy and perhaps we need to. He seemed more frustrated and impatient in 2013-2014 rather than always embracing the youth in the playing list and being the guy who took responsibility for their improvement

There will always be a question mark on his leadership because the team fell short under his captaincy in the Lyon era. Also in the Lyon era, some of the behaviors and some of the scandals added to the doubt in people's mind.

I believe he became a good leader and mentor in 2015 and beyond when he realsied that his role was more than just being the best player he could be.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 3:52pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 1:46pm

We had Roo as Captain during this time. Plus we had Sam Fisher, Schneids, Dempster, Joey and Armo and a few others were showing good signs as emerging leaders. There was perhaps a real strength of leadership that was lost when Lenny Hayes retired.

I think no one has ever truly assessed Roo's leadership and his captaincy and perhaps we need to. He seemed more frustrated and impatient in 2013-2014 rather than always embracing the youth in the playing list and being the guy who took responsibility for their improvement

There will always be a question mark on his leadership because the team fell short under his captaincy in the Lyon era. Also in the Lyon era, some of the behaviors and some of the scandals added to the doubt in people's mind.

I believe he became a good leader and mentor in 2015 and beyond when he realsied that his role was more than just being the best player he could be.
We had Roo as captain - and everyone was excited about our future prospects.

Take away the bulk of our senior group, and suddenly our young guys look poor and appear to be going backwards.

The same can be said for Melbourne, Collingwood, Brisbane, Hawthorn etc. etc.

KingSaint
Club Player

Anyone else agree?
Wholeheartedly agree. But unfortunately we live in the time of social media where cowards can say what they like in complete anonymity. The fact that some posters stoop to such low levels says far more about them thsn any of our players or coaches.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Anyone else agree?
Yes. Its only a game.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
BenLong#21
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:25am

Wake the f*** up!!!!!

Newnes
Weller
Armitage
Geary
Savage
Lonie
Dunstan
Hickey
Longer
Brown

He shaped his own list
FFS
What has Freo and Ross Lyon got to do with anything?
The only reason Lyon still has a job is he has credits in the bank and a 57% overall win record. In my opinion the game has past Lyon by.

The Cho is sitting on 33%. He has zero credits in the bank.

Everybody is discussing our recruiting. 2014 for example is the topic of ongoing discussion. The recruiting in 2015, 16 and 17 looks ok so far. 2013 still probably open for plenty of debate too.
If the Cho had a brain and an eye for talent he would have traded Paddy and Goddard out after 2016 when both still had currency. The Cho should have given more than 7 games to Philips last year. The Cho should have stopped gifting games to Weller and Newnes and probably Savage, Gilbert and Brown imo.
The Cho has entrenched a clique of mediocrity.
Brisbane look more promising than us.