Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

derby Street
Club Player

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

Regardless of what happens - make them keep paying top dollars, it will eventually catch up with them.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

If Shiel doesn't come, we still have pick 4.
Bailey Smith thank you very much gentleman.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

True that.

I was really hoping for that ready made player....

ffs.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 8:10pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:43pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:38pm Hawthorn preferred. Then Carlton.

No to Saints and Bombers. Sorry guys. :cry:
Source Parkey?
He’s quoting Tom Browne. It would be nice if he named the media source instead of pretending he is the source.
Which is exactly what Parkey used to do. Parkey disappeared and Ted appeared just after. Funny that. Different Nic, same M.O.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 9:34pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:51pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:43pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 7:38pm Hawthorn preferred. Then Carlton.

No to Saints and Bombers. Sorry guys. :cry:
Source Parkey?
?
I don't really understand why you would go through this whole charade and then post in basically the same fashion as you did before… pumping up average players, posturing as an insider, lauding the club for doing little, the inane/inspirational quotes. It's all the stuff that pissed so many people off previously and starting a new U/N won't change that.

You must think people are pretty stupid.
I do wonder why a person would bother...pumping themselves up on an anonymous footy forum.

takeaway
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 9:12pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 8:09pm Ok with me - cost too much for his value.
I guess we're going to have to offer too much to virtually any top-shelf player when we're in the current position we're in. Who do you suggest we get instead?
Pick 4

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 9:27pm Is it just me or does it feel like all other parties are just using us to either better their position or bump up a players value... and we'll end up with the scraps..
Can you blame them? These guys want finals- flag opportunities
We are coming off a disastrous, debarcle of a season with THE most uninspiring coach 5 years in the gig landing a ‘Road to 2018’ disaster
Seriously if you think the decision NOT to remove Alan hasn’t hurt us you’d have rocks in your head and next year will be just as bad once the wheels come off again and we realise the cattle isn’t up to it and the coach ain’t either

“Yeah….nah””
degruch
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 01 Oct 2018 8:09pm I heard it also on SEN (according to Tom Browne) - Shiel - GWS, Hawks or Blues. Bombers/Saints out.

Ok with me - cost too much for his value.
Barratt reporting this morning we've offered $8mil over 6 seasons, seems to be indicating we're very much in it.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Yep. Massive offer. Biggest in club's history.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Saint wagga
Club Player

I’m convinced we must land the big fish! Test of the whole clubs credibility on the line! We will not climb up the ladder quickly unless we bring in guns. Crossing fingers and toes we can nab Shiel! No more b and c graders please lethers!

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I also read that Hawks offer is about $500k per season less and train under Alistar Clarkson and he is more likely to take that deal. Sums up our current club right there.

Full credit to him if he takes the lesser offer and nice to see someone more interested in success and the game rather than just $$$.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Triple M reporting he will end up at StKilda.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
DJ Higgins
Club Player

SEN say Hawks, Herald sun it will come down to environment more than money. he has been thru the rebuild (or build) phase with Giants and may not want to do it all again so he can play finals in 3-4 years time.

Its all guess work at present anyway and as per previous posts, I hope he moves to the Hawks. It is too much money for him, not saying he is bad he just isn't $8 million good.

My guess is no big fish this year (Hanners is no longer a big fish IMO) but after a a next season we will be more of a destination club with Richo shown the door and hopefully a few more wins on the board

supersaints2
Club Player

Like all big fish players... The lure of finals and a premiership and an already sucessful team has won out on every occasion...
Players want success.. Not to play insides that need to improve greatly...
The free agency stuff is broke and trying to lure players early is broke with it
I hope he comes but doubt it....

Little ponds rarely attract big fish... and we are a mere puddle

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

If reports are true that we've offered $8 million over a 6 year deal and that would equate to about $500,000 more per year than the Hawks offer, then that really does make it interesting. We are now talking about an offer that becomes harder to refuse.

If it was only about an extra $200,000 per year, then the Hawks offer would probably be more of a no-brainer to him, but an extra half-million per year, now he really has something to think about.

These are the only kind of offers that will bring us close to luring a big fish. Paying overs? We probably are, but we are a club of almost zero relevance, in dire need of elite class and despite what Finnis tells us, we are not a destination club, so this so-called "war chest" of cap space will count for very little unless they start offering remuneration that even an A-grader possibly can't refuse.

Not saying it will be enough on this occassion. Reports suggest the Hawks are still his preferred destination, but at least we're in the mix.

A midfield with Shiel, Steven, Ross, Steele and Hannebery. Now we're talking!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
stkfc1
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 12:17pm If reports are true that we've offered $8 million over a 6 year deal and that would equate to about $500,000 more per year than the Hawks offer, then that really does make it interesting. We are now talking about an offer that becomes harder to refuse.

If it was only about an extra $200,000 per year, then the Hawks offer would probably be more of a no-brainer to him, but an extra half-million per year, now he really has something to think about.

These are the only kind of offers that will bring us close to luring a big fish. Paying overs? We probably are, but we are a club of almost zero relevance, in dire need of elite class and despite what Finnis tells us, we are not a destination club, so this so-called "war chest" of cap space will count for very little unless they start offering remuneration that even an A-grader possibly can't refuse.

Not saying it will be enough on this occassion. Reports suggest the Hawks are still his preferred destination, but at least we're in the mix.

A midfield with Shiel, Steven, Ross, Steele and Hannebery. Now we're talking!
Throw in Gresh, Acres and Billings going through there as well and it looks a hell of a lot better!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

i recall rumours about our team salary structure, about 2008 or so, where half the $$ was paid to about 10 players, so we could only afford fringe players to just play roles.

Got us very close, but do we want to go there again?
And didn't we lose Ball, due to money and poor treatment by the coaches?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 1:41pm i recall rumours about our team salary structure, about 2008 or so, where half the $$ was paid to about 10 players, so we could only afford fringe players to just play roles.

Got us very close, but do we want to go there again?
And didn't we lose Ball, due to money and poor treatment by the coaches?
Lost Ball due to him being a sook and a selfish one at that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Maybe...I'm just speculating here...but maybe the financial gurus they've bought in have looked at their crystal balls and they predict rampant inflation in our economy and across the globe. Maybe this will be the standard AFL salary for most of the top tier players in a team. The superstars will be earning double this amount in 5 years time.

Maybe we'll all be out of a job and milk and bread will cost a fortune but at least we can cheer on a winning Saints team

Or maybe...the financial gurus get it wrong

saint64
Club Player

Assuming we would have to give up pick 4 to get it done, is Shiel worth pick 4 - or would we be looking for another player or pick (maybe a second rounder) in the deal?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 2:28pm Assuming we would have to give up pick 4 to get it done, is Shiel worth pick 4 - or would we be looking for another player or pick (maybe a second rounder) in the deal?
Is Shiel worth pick 4? Hmm let me think. A proven star who's still relatively young vrs a complete unknown who may or may not turn out to be any good?? I think I know my answer.
For instance if Shiel was offered up now OR we could get an 18 yr old Jack Billings who would you choose? I know that it could also be Bontempelli or Degoey, but the saints have not been able to nail their draft picks so I would rather we just went with the proven star. Our club desperately needs some class, particularly in the midfield.

takeaway
Club Player

saint64 wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 2:28pm Assuming we would have to give up pick 4 to get it done, is Shiel worth pick 4 - or would we be looking for another player or pick (maybe a second rounder) in the deal?
No, I don't think he is worth pick 4, but we would probably have to use it. And yes, we may try to get a second rounder back, or even a third, but probably wouldn't get it. We will have to pay overs, salary wise and draft pick wise.
I'm in two minds, it is good we are being aggressive and trying to get an A grader when he may be available, on the other hand we are removing a lot of the means to otherwise improve our team - reducing our salary cap space and using a very good draft pick in a strong draft.

With Shiel, Hanners, and a couple of others in would we be contenders next year to get into finals? Irrespective of the coach, probably not. Are we better to use pick 4, get a good young mid, or King, improve a bit with new recruits/less injuries, etc, and have pick 5-10 in next year's draft? With plenty of salary cap space, we could then go full tilt at free agents like Coniglio, Haynes, Wingard, or prise out those who are free agent the next year. ie Whitfield, Zorko, and others. Even Josh Kelly. Load up for 2020 and beyond in other words. Maybe we have enough room in the salary cap to go after some of those players as well as getting Shiel.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think big fish stink and they're not that tasty.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Why can't we wait and offer that deal or bigger to Kelly next year? GWS are still going to be squeezed on their salary cap. We use Pick 4 for best available. Get ourselves into the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Allow Hannerbury to lead & establish himself. Front end some contracts to keep the likes of Gresham, Acres, Billings, Clark, Coffield, Battle etc etc Allow the new President a year in charge for a ongoing review of Management, Coaching & Development.
Bottom line, get Kelly!!!

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I will lose my mind if we trade away pick four. There is a real possibility of gold coast taking both King's. Both have the potential of being stars at different ends or a nightmare to defend if they both play forward. By keeping them together there is less of a go home factor

If that was to occur we are golden. That means Walsh or Lukosious, both of whom have been ranked #1 this year at different times. If Carlton keep pick one they will take Walsh and we get Roo clone Lukosious.

If they trade it to Adelaide for McGovern and their first round pick which may occur then Adelaide will pick Lukosious leaving us with Walsh.

Now imagine that happens and we gave Pick 4 to GWS, how stupid would you feel