Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

lefty wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 1:41am
If we end up with another KPP I personally will be disappointed. For years we haven't gone for midfielders, we already took Paddy, made the choice now we work with what we've got. There will never been a Roo clone.
I hear what you are saying and I would prefer a mid 100% but if the option was there to take lukosious you would pass? The Carlton gold coast game was called the lukosius cup this season due to his credentials.

wally
Club Player

If we go to the draft which is looking more likely pick 4 has to play round 1 ,plus Clark & Coffield we need to pump
games into these picks .and others such as Acres
If North land Gaff & Polec adds to the embarrassment .

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 9:44am
lefty wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 1:41am
If we end up with another KPP I personally will be disappointed. For years we haven't gone for midfielders, we already took Paddy, made the choice now we work with what we've got. There will never been a Roo clone.
I hear what you are saying and I would prefer a mid 100% but if the option was there to take lukosious you would pass? The Carlton gold coast game was called the lukosius cup this season due to his credentials.
I also remember the Kreuzer cup and the Josh Fraser cup.
Both decent AFL players but not once in a generation player like Roo.

To think we had picks 1 & 2 that year (2000 draft), wow the memories of the priority picks 8-)

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

wally wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 9:49am If we go to the draft which is looking more likely pick 4 has to play round 1 ,plus Clark & Coffield we need to pump
games into these picks .and others such as Acres
If North land Gaff & Polec adds to the embarrassment .
Even more of an embarrassment when you consider how long we've been rebuilding compared to North and they're now already more of a destination club.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

degruch
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 1:43pm From the age
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 507oh.html
"The Saints are also set to secure..."

I wish I was that confident.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Not coming to the saints

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

According to BF ITK that seems to know his s***

#1 Ryder fan
wolfpup
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:32pm According to BF ITK that seems to know his s***
i doubt his credentials very much, he/she has been registered on bf for a week and has 22 posts

no one knows nothing yet, no one will know until after the GWS best and fairest this weekend

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

according to AFl.com he has no elite stats, on above average stats. For 8 mill i want elite

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Saints not intending to use pick 4 if he chooses Saints. Want to go the draft with pick 4 no matter what apparantly.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
silverhalo
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 1:19pm Saints not intending to use pick 4 if he chooses Saints. Want to go the draft with pick 4 no matter what apparantly.
Can't see how we can get him then....future first rounder??

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

silverhalo wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 1:25pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 1:19pm Saints not intending to use pick 4 if he chooses Saints. Want to go the draft with pick 4 no matter what apparantly.
Can't see how we can get him then....future first rounder??
Guess so.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saint-stu
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-05/t ... eal-saints

I was surprised but happy to hear this. We're pretty much guaranteed to pickup a top 5 18 year old and may or may not get Shiel. I'm guessing he's not choosing us anyway.
ST KILDA has declared its first selection in this year's NAB AFL Draft off-limits in the pursuit of Dylan Shiel, but the Saints remain confident they'll get a deal done if he nominates Moorabbin as his preferred home.

The Saints are hell bent on spending their opening pick – currently No.3 before the awarding of the Tom Lynch compensation – on highly-rated junior talent and also won't be tempted to try to turn it into multiple first-round selections.

However, they believe they could still conceivably trade for Shiel if he wants in.

"Pick four won't be involved in the Dylan Shiel deal, it is incredibly unlikely," list manager James Gallagher told Macquarie Sports Radio on Friday morning.

"We are pretty confident we can find a way to get it done without using pick four."

And football operations manager Simon Lethlean declared all Shiel needed to do was say the word and they'd find a way to make him a Saint.

"When players nominate a club they want to go to, you can generally get a deal done," Lethlean told RSN on Friday morning.

"So, we will find a way … if Dylan wants to come here, then it will get done."

Shiel, despite having a year to run on his current contract at the Giants, has been linked to a number of Victorian clubs including St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn.

He was reportedly flown to Noosa on a private jet to meet with the Blues earlier this week, but a report in Friday's Herald Sun declared the club also would not use its top draft pick in a deal to secure him.

Gallagher said the Saints' first selection, which will move from No.3 to No.4 overall once the Lynch compensation is awarded to Gold Coast, would not be a factor in any trades.

"Our recruiters have done a huge amount of work over the past 24 months watching these guys and what we see this year is the level of talent in those first five to six picks is pretty special," Gallagher said.

"It's pretty different to what's been there in previous drafts.

"You could get a one in 10-year talent in those first four to five picks, or you could get two really good players with picks later in the first round.

"Right now, what we need to bring in to the club is some real high-end elite talent, hence the desire to keep our hands on pick four and go to the draft with that."

Gallagher denied any interest in Geelong's Daniel Menzel and Richmond's Jacob Townsend given St Kilda's depth in the small forward area.

However, the Saints remain keen to secure Melbourne's Dean Kent, as he would give their forward line "a different look".

Gallagher also confirmed "preliminary" talks with Sydney about Daniel Hannebery and said both sides had entered the conversation with "the best intentions".

He said there was belief there would be a "pretty fair deal done there" early on in trade week.

Meanwhile, Lethlean again vehemently denied Jack Steven would be departing Moorabbin despite continuing rumours about Geelong's interest in the Lorne product.

"Jack is going nowhere," Lethlean said.

"He won the best and fairest this year and he will be playing for us in round one next year."

1ac46a38
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saint-stu wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 2:46pm http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-05/t ... eal-saints

I was surprised but happy to hear this. We're pretty much guaranteed to pickup a top 5 18 year old and may or may not get Shiel. I'm guessing he's not choosing us anyway.
ST KILDA has declared its first selection in this year's NAB AFL Draft off-limits in the pursuit of Dylan Shiel, but the Saints remain confident they'll get a deal done if he nominates Moorabbin as his preferred home.

The Saints are hell bent on spending their opening pick – currently No.3 before the awarding of the Tom Lynch compensation – on highly-rated junior talent and also won't be tempted to try to turn it into multiple first-round selections.

However, they believe they could still conceivably trade for Shiel if he wants in.

"Pick four won't be involved in the Dylan Shiel deal, it is incredibly unlikely," list manager James Gallagher told Macquarie Sports Radio on Friday morning.

"We are pretty confident we can find a way to get it done without using pick four."

And football operations manager Simon Lethlean declared all Shiel needed to do was say the word and they'd find a way to make him a Saint.

"When players nominate a club they want to go to, you can generally get a deal done," Lethlean told RSN on Friday morning.

Shiel, despite having a year to run on his current contract at the Giants, has been linked to a number of Victorian clubs including St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn.

He was reportedly flown to Noosa on a private jet to meet with the Blues earlier this week, but a report in Friday's Herald Sun declared the club also would not use its top draft pick in a deal to secure him.

Gallagher said the Saints' first selection, which will move from No.3 to No.4 overall once the Lynch compensation is awarded to Gold Coast, would not be a factor in any trades.

"Our recruiters have done a huge amount of work over the past 24 months watching these guys and what we see this year is the level of talent in those first five to six picks is pretty special," Gallagher said.

"You could get a one in 10-year talent in those first four to five picks, or you could get two really good players with picks later in the first round.

"Right now, what we need to bring in to the club is some real high-end elite talent, hence the desire to keep our hands on pick four and go to the draft with that."

Gallagher denied any interest in Geelong's Daniel Menzel and Richmond's Jacob Townsend given St Kilda's depth in the small forward area.

However, the Saints remain keen to secure Melbourne's Dean Kent, as he would give their forward line "a different look".

Gallagher also confirmed "preliminary" talks with Sydney about Daniel Hannebery and said both sides had entered the conversation with "the best intentions".

He said there was belief there would be a "pretty fair deal done there" early on in trade week.

Meanwhile, Lethlean again vehemently denied Jack Steven would be departing Moorabbin despite continuing rumours about Geelong's interest in the Lorne product.

"He won the best and fairest this year and he will be playing for us in round one next year."
I call bulls**t. If we've offered him $1.4 million per year, then we clearly rate him very highly. Therefore, if by some sheer miracle he ends up nominating us, pick 4 will most certainly factor into the deal. GWS won't be interested in anything less. Beggars belief to think that we can get it done for any less.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

If he wants to play finals soon and get better then it
Is hawks. If he wants cash and finals in a few years it blues. If he wants cash it's us.
Blues are inexperienced but that will change really soon and someone to help cripps will be a huge boost. Add Sam walsh to the mix and this time next years blues will have turned a big corner.
We will as well as the likely hood of Richo being there if we have another poor season is not good so that's a plus. But I think we are still a ways off playing finals. And if we trade a future first rounder I will lose it
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Sat 06 Oct 2018 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

If by some disaster Shiel selects St.Kilda for the money and nothing but the money and the clowns offer GWS a future first rounder then this is likely to be pick one or two in next years draft they are giving away.
It's bad enough already dealing in Hannerbury on the decline and on big money for a likely second round selection who will breakdown before round six next year. You can bookmark it!
The only good thing about Richardson "coaching" next year, if this is how it's going to play out will be getting pick one or two in the draft. Tim Watson delivered early draft picks in 2000 which is how St.Kilda acquired one of the greatest players in the history of the game in Nick Riewoldt!
This is the only good that can come from having this laterally challenged mumbling, bumbling simpleton as coach. To trade this away for Dylan Shiel is ridiculous.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm getting a sneaky feeling Carlton are out of it and its down to us and Hawthorn. Just a feeling, shared by Brad Johnson. Nonetheless I don't think he's made a decision, ITKs at Big Footy reporting that 3 of our players have met with Shiel again today.

Edit: Further mail, Hannebery was one of the 3 that met with him.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 4:19pm If he wants to play finals soon and get better than it
Is hawks. If he wants cash and finals in a few of years it blues. If he wants cash it's us.
Blues are inexperienced but that will change really soon and someone to help cripps will be a huge boost. Add Sam walsh to the mix and this time next years blues will have turned a big corner.
We will as well as the likely hood of Richo being there if we have another poor season is not good so that's a plus. But I think we are still a ways off playing finals. And if we trade a future first rounder I will lose it
No chance Carlton get Shiel and Sam Walsh.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 5:08pm I'm getting a sneaky feeling Carlton are out of it and its down to us and Hawthorn. Just a feeling, shared by Brad Johnson. Nonetheless I don't think he's made a decision, ITKs at Big Footy reporting that 3 of our players have met with Shiel again today.

Edit: Further mail, Hannebery was one of the 3 that met with him.
Interesting...

Vazelos
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 3:17pm
saint-stu wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 2:46pm http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-05/t ... eal-saints

I call bulls**t. If we've offered him $1.4 million per year, then we clearly rate him very highly. Therefore, if by some sheer miracle he ends up nominating us, pick 4 will most certainly factor into the deal. GWS won't be interested in anything less. Beggars belief to think that we can get it done for any less.
Its not bull s**t.... Carlton are driving the same line.....they wont be giving up Pick 1 for Shiel.
Shiel has 1 year left otherwise he goes as a free agent and who wants to keep a player that is out the door the following year anyway.
GWS know they don't do a deal now they lose him for a compensation pick probably pick 14-19 next year.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm We may require a third party to dilute our #4 pick if we are to acquire Shiel. I don't think GWS will budge on anything lower than a first round pick.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
takeaway
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 6:08pm Hmmm We may require a third party to dilute our #4 pick if we are to acquire Shiel. I don't think GWS will budge on anything lower than a first round pick.
Next year's first plus say Hickey.

I agree with the approach by the club - if he happens to nominate us (still unlikely imo), our position is strengthened, he is out of contract next year, restricted free agent, compo next year will not match his value this year.
We are far better using pick 4 on one of the 6 top players in the draft, and hang tough with GWS. If they want pick 4 and won't budge, I would rather let Shiel go, and have a go at FA in 2019-20.

goods
Club Player

two things that stand out like dogs balls.

1) why would you you fly someone north to Noosa if they desire to come south! Counterintuitive!

2) Shiel would want us to keep pick 4 if he was to nominate the Saints! He wants to know we are building a prem side!! Its a better position if we keep pick 4 and show him on paper our engine room with pick 4 (onballer) J steven, hannenbery, clarke, Ross, billings, gresham and shiel! Not too shabby!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 4:47pm If by some disaster Shiel selects St.Kilda for the money and nothing but the money and the clowns offer GWS a future first rounder then this is likely to be pick one or two in next years draft they are giving away.
It's bad enough already dealing in Hannerbury on the decline and on big money for a likely second round selection who will breakdown before round six next year. You can bookmark it!
The only good thing about Richardson "coaching" next year, if this is how it's going to play out will be getting pick one or two in the draft. Tim Watson delivered early draft picks in 2000 which is how St.Kilda acquired one of the greatest players in the history of the game in Nick Riewoldt!
This is the only good that can come from having this laterally challenged mumbling, bumbling simpleton as coach. To trade this away for Dylan Shiel is ridiculous.
:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.