Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

Possibly offering our top pick for Shiel.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/saints-put- ... -for-shiel
After Saints list manager James Gallagher said on Friday that they would not use their first-round No.4 draft pick to help secure GWS star Dylan Shiel, football manager Simon Lethlean said on Monday that everything would be in play.

"All assets are on the table to get a deal done," Lethlean said.

Shiel is expected to make his decision in the next day or two, with the Saints among four Victorian clubs vying for his services.

"We haven't been told no so until we are it's a yes," Lethlean said.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

If we land Shiel with pick 4, I am more than happy. The question is will he want to come to us.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Moot point if he isn't coming and I can't see that happening. Hawks are more likely to play finals and he will still get 700k a year or blues have offered similar amounts to us and haveI abetter coach and a list that should improve next year especially with walsh in the middle to help shield and cripps

longtimesaint
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:11pm Moot point if he isn't coming and I can't see that happening. Hawks are more likely to play finals and he will still get 700k a year or blues have offered similar amounts to us and haveI abetter coach and a list that should improve next year especially with walsh in the middle to help shield and cripps
I have seen no evidence that Bolton is a better coach than Richo!

One year will be our year
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Does anybody else find it odd that we're at the end of day one and he hasn't even nominated a destination? That doesn't seem like the actions of somebody who's keen to leave. Maybe others have done that in the past, but I can't remember. Most of the time we know well in advance of trade week where people want to go.

Are we sure he actually wants out?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 11:08pm
jaxons wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:06pm We have been told he is not coming to us.
So you were right Jaxons the club under the current management is an absolute cluster f***!
Jaxons! Jaxons!

Anyone seen Jaxons?

Rumblings that the Shielposts have shifted again

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintly66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:54pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 11:08pm
jaxons wrote: Sat 06 Oct 2018 9:06pm We have been told he is not coming to us.
So you were right Jaxons the club under the current management is an absolute cluster f***!
Jaxons! Jaxons!

Anyone seen Jaxons?

Rumblings that the Shielposts have shifted again
You’ll find him waiting for the hole to be dug by his disciples so he can stick his head down it.

derby Street
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:27pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:11pm Moot point if he isn't coming and I can't see that happening. Hawks are more likely to play finals and he will still get 700k a year or blues have offered similar amounts to us and haveI abetter coach and a list that should improve next year especially with walsh in the middle to help shield and cripps
You reckon Bolton is better than Richo ??? You jest surely

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saintly66 wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:57pm

You’ll find him waiting for the hole to be dug by his disciples so he can stick his head down it.
so Shiel has been elevated to Messiah level already?

Seeya
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The conundrum for Shiel is that he is at the peak of his market value but he wants to play hardball/brinkmanship to test where the peak is and may mess up the opportunity. I suspect Lethlean will not blink on first draft pick and Shiel should knows the offer will not come again. He and his manager may be waiting till the last moment to see if another club will offer very similar to Saints and be prepared to give up a very early draft pick. However he can lose a lot if he misjudges. Saints can only lose if we give up first draft pick as that and the Aladdin's Cave offer would not be fair exchange. Gallagher would know risk management backwards and where Shiel is at. We might do a three way deal whereby pick 4 was exchanged for some other pick in the first 8 but I think the pressure is well and truly on Shiel to chose us. Of course if he doesn't chose us he fails the decision making under pressure test and we are ok without him. Patience will bring opportunity and it will all turn out for the best if we don't lose pick 4 cold. That would be a travesty.

wolfpup
Club Player

apparently he has nominated us?

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:45pm Does anybody else find it odd that we're at the end of day one and he hasn't even nominated a destination? That doesn't seem like the actions of somebody who's keen to leave. Maybe others have done that in the past, but I can't remember. Most of the time we know well in advance of trade week where people want to go.

Could be strategic, i.e. has been asked to hold off announcing until a certain domino falls to aid a multi club trade or similar, just guessing.

takeaway
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 7:17pm
vacuous space wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 5:45pm Does anybody else find it odd that we're at the end of day one and he hasn't even nominated a destination? That doesn't seem like the actions of somebody who's keen to leave. Maybe others have done that in the past, but I can't remember. Most of the time we know well in advance of trade week where people want to go.

Could be strategic, i.e. has been asked to hold off announcing until a certain domino falls to aid a multi club trade or similar, just guessing.
Could also be waiting to see if his preferred club can get near to satisfying GWS, which many mean his preferred destination is Hawthorn, who are in the weakest position as far as draft picks go.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 6:31pm
+ 1

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 6:31pm
+ 1

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 7:25pm

Could also be waiting to see if his preferred club can get near to satisfying GWS, which many mean his preferred destination is Hawthorn, who are in the weakest position as far as draft picks go.
Yep another plausible reason.

derby Street
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 7:32pm

Agree makes some sense. Otherwise he would have made a decision by now.

silverhalo
Club Player

derby Street wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 7:46pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 7:32pm

Agree makes some sense. Otherwise he would have made a decision by now.
Would love to get Shiel but won't be devastated if he doesn't come to us now. $1.3M per year and giving up pick 4 is well and truly paying overs so would almost be relieved if we don't get him. This sort of premium should be reserved for the very best midfielders and he's not that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 9:02pm
Would love to get Shiel but won't be devastated if he doesn't come to us now. $1.3M per year and giving up pick 4 is well and truly paying overs so would almost be relieved if we don't get him. This sort of premium should be reserved for the very best midfielders and he's not that.
Particularly as the alternative is as a minimum keeping Pick 4 (Shiel might require more than that) in a year where there is at least five really good players at the top of the order.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

He’s nominated us apparently!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The problem imo is made worse by:

1. Bidding for Shiel becomes more about winning the Shiel prize so we pay well overs to win and appease fans/media but lose sight of what we are giving away
2. People at the club ain’t saints people and are corporate career climbers so the MUST have a win to secure reputations .....whatever the cost...
I won’t be devastated if we lose Shiel
I will be is we pick Max King at 4 and he’s the new paddy......while a gun mid runs around elsewhere

“Yeah….nah””
silverhalo
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 9:47pm He’s nominated us apparently!!
Sauce?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Where that from?

“Yeah….nah””
longtimesaint
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Mon 08 Oct 2018 9:54pm
Sauce?
Hot chilli!

One year will be our year
Moods
Saintsational Legend

AFL Trade rumours. It’s a site on Facebook reporting on all the trade news. They are obviously Saints supporters by stuff they write but generally don’t post s*** definitively unless it’s true. I’m having trouble sharing it