Hannebery Deal Tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery Deal Tomorrow

Deal done - sen reporting.
pick 39 plus our 2019 second rounder for
Hannebury and this year #28

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:12am Deal done - sen reporting.
I hope so, that sounds much better than the Hickey deal. Puts us ahead over the trade period, unless Hanna turns out to be our Daniel Wells...no risk, no reward, I guess.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SuperDuper
Club Player

getting 39 updraded to 28 is a super deal IMO.
Much better than just giving them 2019 2nd rounder, as was mooted

28 gives us crack at a decent player that we rate

2019 2nd rounder + Hickey + 60 for Hannebery + 28
Something like that?

Really that is just trading Hickey for Hannebery... and swapping a 2019 2nd rounder for a very similar 2018 2nd rounder... good going

Both the same age... just trading a ruck for a more needed position
Last edited by SuperDuper on Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:26am, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:12am Deal done - sen reporting.
Would've thought that is a very good deal for us

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Great deal. Does anyone know how much of his contract Sydney are paying?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I’m happy to get a better second round back.

Happy with that deal.

Welcome to the Sainters Dan; god knows we need you.

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Lethlean will be on SEN at 945.

Always loyal
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

A good deal for us.

Let's be realistic though, if Sydney had any faith Hannebery could return to even some of his elite form, they wouldn't be offloading him for effectively chump change.

Pick 39 and our future 2nd-rounder for a mid who still hasn't hit 30, was previously elite and they still have to have to give us their pick 28 in return.

It's a good deal for us, but we're clearly doing the Swans a big favour also and it's not just salary cap relief.

Like I said, good trade for us, but lets be realistic.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:33am It's a good deal for us, but we're clearly doing the Swans a big favour also.
I think we may be handling a reasonable share of his contract cost looking at the deal, which we can afford I guess. What the forum doesn't know won't hurt us!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He asked to leave... and its not chump change.

Glad to get that better second rounder this year...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Great trade. Well done Saints. We got Hannebery and pick 28 for 2 x 2nd rounders. Good to see the Swans be reasonable too.

Welcome to the Saints Dan. We are all behind you.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:35am
SydneySainter wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:33am It's a good deal for us, but we're clearly doing the Swans a big favour also.
I think we may be handling a reasonable share of his contract cost looking at the deal, which we can afford I guess. What the forum doesn't know won't hurt us!
By the looks of it, we're effectively matching his remaining contract, plus adding an extra year at the same salary and a fifth year of incentive-based payments. Good security for him as he closes in on retirement.

Pretty good deal for the young man.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:33am A good deal for us.

Let's be realistic though, if Sydney had any faith Hannebery could return to even some of his elite form, they wouldn't be offloading him for effectively chump change.

Pick 39 and our future 2nd-rounder for a mid who still hasn't hit 30, was previously elite and they still have to have to give us their pick 28 in return.

It's a good deal for us, but we're clearly doing the Swans a big favour also and it's not just salary cap relief.

Sydney are looking after a player that's given them huge service over 8 years. Like Hawthorn with Lewis and Mitchell.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

David King will see this as StKilda give up two first rounders for Hannerbery.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:39am He asked to leave... and its not chump change.

Glad to get that better second rounder this year...
He asked to leave, but still had three years remaining on his contract. If the Swans really wanted to retain him, they had every opportunity to dig their heels in and push for at least a future first-round pick selection.

He's still only 27 and a three-time AA. Two first round picks and we get pick 28 back. It's a steal for us! Which is why I'm saying, we're clearly doing the Swans a favour also.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:45am David King will see this as StKilda give up two first rounders for Hannerbery.
Or our 2019 second round + pick #37.

Gawd he's a freakin' idiot.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:44am
SydneySainter wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:33am A good deal for us.

Sydney are looking after a player that's given them huge service over 8 years. Like Hawthorn with Lewis and Mitchell.
You may be right. Hannebery isn't near the age bracket that Lewis and Mitchell were when they left the Hawks, so a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, especially given that Hannebery was still contracted for the next 3 years.

Anyway, it's irrelevant what the Swans' reasoning was. This trade is still a bit of a steal of us, regardless of whether is body is 100% right or not. Looking forward to seeing him pull on a Saints guernsey.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Very good trading by the Saints.

Hannebery may not get back to his peak form but he'll still be very valuable.

He is now our only 200 game player and has more finals experience than our entire list combined. His leadership will be vital.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Good trade. If we hadn't caved to WC and provided those two pointless sweeteners in the Hickey trade I'd be pretty positive about the trade period. I know a swap of 4th rounders and pick 60 isn't much but it just seemed like WC were just seeing what they could get away with. They've always dominated us in trade negotiations

Happy to get Hannebery and a pick upgrade for a future second though. Kent might be a list clogger but i guess he was cheap and is an upgrade on Wright.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 10:33am Good trade. If we hadn't caved to WC and provided those two pointless sweeteners in the Hickey trade I'd be pretty positive about the trade period. I know a swap of 4th rounders and pick 60 isn't much but it just seemed like WC were just seeing what they could get away with. They've always dominated us in trade negotiations

Happy to get Hannebery and a pick upgrade for a future second though. Kent might be a list clogger but i guess he was cheap and is an upgrade on Wright.
Speaking to one of the coaches at Casey he said Kent was very highly rated at Melbourne but as a hard running forward with great pace and skills. They knew he could play mid field but really needed him to be part of their forward structure.

Great get.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 10:27am Very good trading by the Saints.

He is now our only 200 game player and has more finals experience than our entire list combined. His leadership will be vital.
Good get in terms of trading. The fact that we’re paying him superstar money is a big risk though.

Hopefully he adds what everyone is saying he’ll add.

wolfpup
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 10:39am
mad saint guy wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 10:33am Good trade. If we hadn't caved to WC and provided those two pointless sweeteners in the Hickey trade I'd be pretty positive about the trade period. I know a swap of 4th rounders and pick 60 isn't much but it just seemed like WC were just seeing what they could get away with. They've always dominated us in trade negotiations

Speaking to one of the coaches at Casey he said Kent was very highly rated at Melbourne but as a hard running forward with great pace and skills. They knew he could play mid field but really needed him to be part of their forward structure.

Great get.
according to my melb supporter fanatic mates i have if he was fit he would have been in the team for hannan or spargo and that they missed his speed during the finals, so we may have done ok with this. hope so.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
stonecold
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 10:44am
Beno88 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 10:27am Very good trading by the Saints.

Good get in terms of trading. The fact that we’re paying him superstar money is a big risk though.

Hopefully he adds what everyone is saying he’ll add.
Superstar Money?????

That's about $1-$1.5mill per year, he's not even close to that!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 12:18am
skeptic wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:42pm
Shaggy wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:12pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 10:34pm Yes the pick is fair but fair doesn’t help us
Fair does help us.

No Hickey means Marshall will be played alot more in the ruck as will Pierce. They are the future.

Whether we get pick 39, 30 or 21 in return actually does not matter. It is what we do with the pick which counts.

Pick 39 may make the Hannebery deal happen. If it does it is such a good deal for us.

Hannebery for Hickey is a no brainer. They are both 27 years old but one is an all australian 3 times and a premiership player.
It’s not Hannebery for Hickey though... we’ve already given more then that with the swap of picks and it looks likely Sydney are holding out then just our late second rounder.

To your first point... Hickey wasn’t the reason Pierce and Marshall didn’t play more... that was Richo who chose not play them until both Longer and Hickey went down.
It was Richo that thought playing Paddy, Acres and Steele as second ruck ahead of Marshall was sensible

Your post is 2 different types of wrong
Marshall, McCartin & Battle were competiting for spots as KPFs. I have no problem with that.

Do you think Richo should have kept McCartin & Battle in the VFL all year to play Marshall all year?

Marshall only kicked 6 goals in his 12 games so he is not our next Tony Lockett.

He needs to be developed into a first ruck which means Longer and Hickey need to step aside going forward.

Granted he was not physically ready this year which is why I am happy how he is being progressed.
McCartin and Battle (and Bruce) can’t play a relief ruck role.

That’s a position that has been killing us for 3 years... regardless of whether we’ve chosen Longer or Hickey, the fact is they can’t ruck the entire game... that’s why at times we’ve tried to play Hickey forward or Bruce, Gilbert, Paddy, Acres etc as secondary rucks.

It’s been a stupid situation...
The simple fact is that at this point Marshall has, or should have, a leg up on the others because he can do something they can’t.

As far as I’m concerned, Paddy and Bruce are now competing with each other and as for Battle, he plays s bit more medium size