Hickey replacement?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Re: Hickey replacement?

saynta wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 2:32pm Billy will be the no 1 ruckman next year according to Simon.
Source?

older saint
SS Life Member

Look in VFL, SANFL , WAFL to find next back up ruckman. someone overlooked at draft and has been given time to develop.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 4:35pm Next time we play the Weagles, Billy will be telling Love Bite to look at the scoreboard!!

[media]
The player Billy is talking to there is on our radar as a potential Hickey replacement.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Geez I hope we do'nt pick up Clarke! Seriously! We have 3 players on our list who can play ruck! Surely thats enough! If We go with Billy or Lewis as no.1 ruck, so be it, but do we really need another fringe recycle player? if so, why didn't we go hard at Preuss who is younger bigger and more aggressive in the Mumford mould? We are making some wierd descisions...

chico2001
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 7:13am
Jacks Back wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:49pm
Crossy66 wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:34pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:30pm Longer will be better next year with hopefully a full and injury free preseason under his belt, whether that's good enough remains to be seen. He was very good as a young buck in 2015.
I saw a bit of him early days in Brisbane, looked like he could be anything. Maybe it clouds my judgement but he does have the tools to be a great player if he wants it.
He can't mark, can't kick, doesn't get it but he's strong in the contest I suppose. :roll:
He's actually a nice kick but prefers to handball. Can take a mark but prefers to bring it to ground. Think we will see an improvement next season.
Also think Marshall can develop into areally mobile ruckman. Rule changes next year could help both big men

What planet are you on..or from?.....making some really strange statements about Bill Longer. Go back and read your posts about him and reconsider the thought process. How could you possibly know he is "a nice kick" I have never actually seen him get one. Ok...you've got me...." could have been anything" now thats a humdinger...Are you taking the piss?

Possibly the wierdest set of comments about a non skilled player I have read in many a long year. Wish you could have seen me play....you would have described me as an "out and out champion" and "pre-ordained for enshrinement in legend" or even..." a footballing masterpiece"........go on with ya......

ace
Saintsational Legend

I don't know why we need a replacement for Hickey.

We have StoneCold.

Just mention his name and Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui all tremble in fear.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
takeaway
Club Player

I too saw Billy before he was drafted, and early days Brisbane, and I agree with Crossy. He could do everything, and was a good kick. He seems to have lost some of that and is mainly hitouts/handballs. Maybe the new coaches (especially Lade) can get him keener and free up his play more again. He has had a crook ankle and shoulder - the first step is to get him fit and good pre season.

Anyway, how can you judge his kicking if you have never seen one? Next year my hope is he wins the hitouts and gets the ball out to the smaller players. Who cares about kicks? I think you undervalue him, he was good in 2015 & 2017, and I agree he needs to show more in 2019, or he will go the way of the No.2 ruck, Hickey.

stonecold
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 3:20pm I don't know why we need a replacement for Hickey.

We have StoneCold.

Just mention his name and Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui all tremble in fear.
Funny little Frankfurt aren't you!!!!!

Even at my age, still have something Hickledik never had, 'ticka'!!!!!

Heart is not something you can go out and buy, oh, maybe on a 'Playing Card'!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
stonecold
SS Life Member

Maybe all you Hickledik fans can start a Petition to get Tom back to St.Kilda!!!!!

Something tells me those in the know, coaches, players etc won't hear you, that's why he's gone!!!!!

Schillaci
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 5:45pm We'll go with Marshall and Pearce all year.

I quite liked Hickey, but really the other two are far better long term options. Honestly, they were both better in the short term last year too.

I'd bet that the club would have traded Longer rather than Hickey - but I don't think anyone would have taken him.

I don't mind the decision one bit. Good move by the club.

The only thing is, that we should have pushed for a 'fringe' premiership player in return, rather than a late pick.
I've just watched our R21-23 games v ESS/HAW/NM in the last two days with a particular focus on Pierce and Marshall and they are the future.
Getting Hanners and pick #28 tips the ledger our way for the better, after being initially disappointed for what we received for Hickey.
Agree it has been a good move by the club.

chico2001
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 3:31pm I too saw Billy before he was drafted, and early days Brisbane, and I agree with Crossy. He could do everything, and was a good kick. He seems to have lost some of that and is mainly hitouts/handballs. Maybe the new coaches (especially Lade) can get him keener and free up his play more again. He has had a crook ankle and shoulder - the first step is to get him fit and good pre season.

Anyway, how can you judge his kicking if you have never seen one? Next year my hope is he wins the hitouts and gets the ball out to the smaller players. Who cares about kicks? I think you undervalue him, he was good in 2015 & 2017, and I agree he needs to show more in 2019, or he will go the way of the No.2 ruck, Hickey.
Very hard to judge him on his kicking I agree, didn't see him get one in 9 games I watched …..maybe because of his ankles !!!! so you are correct. BL will have a golden chance to shine now...Have a feeling he will tear the opposition apart, he will fly high and often and take marks the like have never been seen before. he will kick long and hard into the forward line and he will make play by use of creative handballs in the front and back halves but best of all he will win 50 hit outs a game and the majority will go down the throats of Steven , Hannebery and co...he will beat the best….Jeez I look forward to that. He will live up to that early promise he showed...and he will be"something"

Go sainters

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We absolutely do need a Hickey replacement. Just say Billy hurts his shoulder again and needs a reco early in the season, are we really comfortable with Pierce and Marshall as our rucks for an entire season? Pierce had a handy game against Bellchambers and was then absolutely slaughtered in his next two games while Marshall is clearly a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck and not a starting ruckman. Preuss would have been ideal, Mumford would be great if we think his body could go another 2-3 seasons but a state league option like Clarke seems more likely.

I don't have a lot of faith in Longer as I don't particularly rate rucks who can't do anything except win 4-5 hitouts to advantage per game out of 60 ruck contests, but he must have gone at pick 8 in the draft for a reason. Hopefully I'm wrong about him and he's just taking a while to mature like many rucks do. I sure do rate players who can mark the ball, pick it up at ground level, kick it and run fast though. Billy doesn't do those things.

Crossy66
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 3:13pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 10 Oct 2018 9:30pm Longer will be better next year with hopefully a full and injury free preseason under his belt, whether that's good enough remains to be seen. He was very good as a young buck in 2015.
I saw a bit of him early days in Brisbane, looked like he could be anything. Maybe it clouds my judgement but he does have the tools to be a great player if he wants it.
He can't mark, can't kick, doesn't get it but he's strong in the contest I suppose. :roll:
He's actually a nice kick but prefers to handball. Can take a mark but prefers to bring it to ground. Think we will see an improvement next season.
Also think Marshall can develop into areally mobile ruckman. Rule changes next year could help both big men

What planet are you on..or from?.....making some really strange statements about Bill Longer. Go back and read your posts about him and reconsider the thought process. How could you possibly know he is "a nice kick" I have never actually seen him get one. Ok...you've got me...." could have been anything" now thats a humdinger...Are you taking the piss?

Possibly the wierdest set of comments about a non skilled player I have read in many a long year. Wish you could have seen me play....you would have described me as an "out and out champion" and "pre-ordained for enshrinement in legend" or even..." a footballing masterpiece"........go on with ya......
Ah Mr chico, seems you misread my post.
To answer your two questions, You ask how i could possibly know he is a nice kick when YOU have actually never seen him get one - Simple - i have - you havent. How would you know he is not a nice kick if ,as you claim, you have never seen him do it. Nothing complicated here is there?

Point two : i said i saw him early days in Brisbane when he was drafted and said that he "looked like he could be anything". i am guessing you didnt see him early days much the same as you have never seen him kick. Just remember that he was taken by Brisbane in the 2011 draft at Pick 8.... repeat pick 8. So clearly an AFL club also thought he had the tools . So to answer your question, no i am not taking the piss, the facts support what i have said.

The fact that he hasnt delivered on the raw talent that got him recruited at draft pick 8 is irrelevant. All i am saying is that based on what i saw close up 7 years ago my my judgement might be clouded as to how i see his worth today. FWIW i think he can still get there but he has got to want it enough.

And mr Chico, perhaps i have seen you play. Let me know for who and when and i can let you know.

takeaway
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 4:12pm

To answer your two questions, You ask how i could possibly know he is a nice kick when YOU have actually never seen him get one - Simple - i have - you havent. How would you know he is not a nice kick if ,as you claim, you have never seen him do it. Nothing complicated here is there?

Point two : i said i saw him early days in Brisbane when he was drafted and said that he "looked like he could be anything". i am guessing you didnt see him early days much the same as you have never seen him kick. Just remember that he was taken by Brisbane in the 2011 draft at Pick 8.... repeat pick 8. So clearly an AFL club also thought he had the tools . So to answer your question, no i am not taking the piss, the facts support what i have said.

The fact that he hasnt delivered on the raw talent that got him recruited at draft pick 8 is irrelevant. All i am saying is that based on what i saw close up 7 years ago my my judgement might be clouded as to how i see his worth today. FWIW i think he can still get there but he has got to want it enough.

And mr Chico, perhaps i have seen you play. Let me know for who and when and i can let you know.
You wouldn't have seen Chico play, Crossy, he's from another planet.

Crossy66
Club Player

:shock:
takeaway wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 4:20pm
Crossy66 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 4:12pm

You wouldn't have seen Chico play, Crossy, he's from another planet.
:shock:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 6:45pm
saynta wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 2:32pm Billy will be the no 1 ruckman next year according to Simon.
Source?
I already named my source ffs. :roll:

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 4:53pm
Source?
Not a believer of the game 'Simon Say's' obviously!!!!! ;)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 4:35pm Next time we play the Weagles, Billy will be telling Love Bite to look at the scoreboard!!

[media]
Considering we've only beaten them once in seven years that's pretty unlikely tbh. But am I the only one on this site who is really looking forward to this duel? :lol:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stonecold
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 5:59pm

[media]
Considering we've only beaten them once in seven years that's pretty unlikely tbh. But am I the only one on this site who is really looking forward to this duel? :lol:
Billy's not playing in the WAFL!!!!! ;)

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 4:53pm
Source?
Yes i know, maybe I should clarify that I meant where and when did he say that.

I hadn't seen or heard that info so I was curious

Wombat15
Club Player

I saw today that we are going to persist with Pierce, Marshall and Longer

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Wombat15 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 7:36pm I saw today that we are going to persist with Pierce, Marshall and Longer
My hope for 2019 is that will be be the preferred order
So in order for clarity I need to ask where did you hear that?
Because even at this late stage in trade and contract signings it hasn't been announced that BL has a contract

Seeya
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Ricky Nixon tweeting that Saints have been talking to Tom Bellchambers. Oh Dear.

Crossy66
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 7:56pm Ricky Nixon tweeting that Saints have been talking to Tom Bellchambers. Oh Dear.
Ricky Nixon pfft!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 3:31pm I too saw Billy before he was drafted, and early days Brisbane, and I agree with Crossy. He could do everything, and was a good kick. He seems to have lost some of that and is mainly hitouts/handballs. Maybe the new coaches (especially Lade) can get him keener and free up his play more again. He has had a crook ankle and shoulder - the first step is to get him fit and good pre season.

I've never been a fan of playing blokes injured.
Heard Big Carl say that he reckoned that was the one and only weakness as a coach Jeansie had. He would play injured players at the expense of fit players.
Just let him get right - apparently Billy was given an early shower this season to get his body right for a full pre-season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.