Is Richo making it harder to attract quality?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Richo making it harder to attract quality?

silverhalo wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 6:58pm Don't get Wingard FFS, the guy is an absolute flog.......the finest example of FIGJAM and hasn't done anything for 3 years.....now we are getting desperate!
Totally right
Oh so St Kilda .....go after a complete non fit to prove we are somehow “still relevant “
This worries me because I want to believe that it’s not about Lethlean and Co corporate provocateurs landing their “big fish” at any cost to say that they somehow delivered......meanwhile the club pays top dollar for a downhill skier whose done nothing in 3 years and who Port want to offload- note: Port want 2 first rounders.....lol
We are probably stupid enough to cough up .....
FFS Wingard is already tweeting and blueing with Port...reckons he’l have His say when he leaves.....not what we need
Just get the best farkin mid in the draft .....how hard can that be??

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 9:37pm
silverhalo wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 6:58pm Don't get Wingard FFS, the guy is an absolute flog.......the finest example of FIGJAM and hasn't done anything for 3 years.....now we are getting desperate!
Totally right
Oh so St Kilda .....go after a complete non fit to prove we are somehow “still relevant “
This worries me because I want to believe that it’s not about Lethlean and Co corporate provocateurs landing their “big fish” at any cost to say that they somehow delivered......meanwhile the club pays top dollar for a downhill skier whose done nothing in 3 years and who Port want to offload- note: Port want 2 first rounders.....lol
FFS Wingard is already tweeting and blueing with Port...reckons he’l have His say when he leaves.....not what we need
Is Wingard injured? If not we don't want him!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 10:21pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 9:37pm
Totally right
Is Wingard injured? If not we don't want him!
Yep bruised ego and precious
No thx

“Yeah….nah””
chico2001
Club Player

I think it would be pivotal to your decision to transfer or join a club if you have got any brains. No point going to a club with a coach that has a record that is not good, he appears to be certainly not the dynamic motivator you would be looking for and even has trouble explaining the game plan on TV. I have barely read a post that describes Richardsons good coaching efforts, his plan and his player development. He would not be the only reason not to go to the club though.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

You don’t want to go to a club that keeps making poor recruiting decisions - relative to other clubs - year after year (since and including our peak Lyon years) - and so becomes more irrelevant year by year.

Our recruiters have recruited multiples of the same types - we are overweight in a lot of areas with the same types and underweight in A grade elite skilled players - in fact we don’t have any.

We have engineered our own failure - through relatively poor recruiting - and it’s the gradual cumulative effect of this (relatively poorer recruiting over many years) that has brought us to where we’re at.

Players/free agents don’t just base it on our current coach (who they are not in a position to judge anyway) - they can see how we slipped since 2009 - and there’s been 3 coaches RL, SW and now AR - and the common denominator is our recruiting.
RL saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship.

Our recruiting needs to improve - regardless of who coaches us. I know we like to blame the coach, but that is just burying our head in the sand.
Saviour coaches don’t exist. Players/free agents are put off by the overall landscape at St Kilda - they are not basing it on hearsay or how Richo may or may not coach.

chico2001
Club Player

samoht wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 9:35am You don’t want to go to a club that keeps making poor recruiting decisions - relative to other clubs - year after year (since and including our peak Lyon years) - and so becomes more irrelevant year by year.

Our recruiters have recruited multiples of the same types - we are overweight in a lot of areas with the same types and underweight in A grade elite skilled players - in fact we don’t have any.

We have engineered our own failure - through relatively poor recruiting - and it’s the gradual cumulative effect of this (relatively poorer recruiting over many years) that has brought us to where we’re at.

Players/free agents don’t just base it on our current coach (who they are not in a position to judge anyway) - they can see how we slipped since 2009 - and there’s been 3 coaches RL, SW and now AR - and the common denominator is our recruiting.
RL saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship.

Our recruiting needs to improve - regardless of who coaches us. I know we like to blame the coach, but that is just burying our head in the sand.
Saviour coaches don’t exist. Players/free agents are put off by the overall landscape at St Kilda - they are not basing it on hearsay or how Richo may or may not coach.
I will agree with that. Not convinced that any top player wants to go to a club that is not heading North of the ladder, only have to look at what is happening right now with Tom Lynch and others. The players all talk and word soon gets around especially with social media as it is now. This club needs some damn good players to get back up the ladder.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cha ... 50aqm.html

This article sums up where we are at. Whether you wanted Wingard or not is irrelevant. THIS is what attracts players to your club. A coach that players believe can actually improve them. I'm afarid the perception appears to be that Richo can't do anything for most players careers - which is why we have ended up with an expensive has been and a potentially very good player who is constantly injured and failed to get a game at his other club.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Ridiculous thread. Do people seriously think Shiel didn't pick the Saints because Richo is the coach? Was this one of his reasons?

1. Why were Hannerbrey (3 x AA) and Kent (60 odd games) happy to come if Richo is coach?
2. This is Richo's 6th season now. Please tell me how many players have wanted to leave (that the Saints have wanted) since he has been head coach? Please list them.
3. Why did Carlisle, Steele, Membrey, Stevens, Brown, Austin and others pick the Saints if Richo was coach?
4. Why have all our draft picks since Richo has been head coach not wanted to leave? Please list them again.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

1. Cash and game time they wouldn't get in their own team due to competition
2. And go where, no one will take them and pay them the same except Jack Steven.
3.see point
4. See points 1 & 2

chico2001
Club Player

He is certainly not an attraction for players to come here.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 4:58pm Ridiculous thread. Do people seriously think Shiel didn't pick the Saints because Richo is the coach? Was this one of his reasons?
# Do you know that was the reason he DIDNT and chose EFC instead?
1. Why were Hannerbrey (3 x AA) and Kent (60 odd games) happy to come if Richo is coach?
# Pretty certainly you claimed the reason he picked stkilda was his friendship with Lethlean ( i tend to think it was the massive contract and length)
2. This is Richo's 6th season now. Please tell me how many players have wanted to leave (that the Saints have wanted) since he has been head coach? Please list them.
# Certainly JS was concerned - Would consider it was also a reason Hickey was eager to go elsewhere. And as the club clearly found out this year few players have little currency elsewhere
3. Why did Carlisle, Steele, Membrey, Stevens, Brown, Austin and others picked the Saints if Richo was coach?
# I would say most came to us for the money all were surplus to previous clubs needs
4. Why have all our draft picks since Richo has been head coach not wanted to leave? Please list them again.
# We extend and pay overs for contracts to fill salary cap
Spin is easy

Seeya
takeaway
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 5:21pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 4:58pm Ridiculous thread. Do people seriously think Shiel didn't pick the Saints because Richo is the coach? Was this one of his reasons?
# Do you know that was the reason he DIDNT and chose EFC instead?
# Pretty certainly you claimed the reason he picked stkilda was his friendship with Lethlean ( i tend to think it was the massive contract and length)
# Certainly JS was concerned - Would consider it was also a reason Hickey was eager to go elsewhere. And as the club clearly found out this year few players have little currency elsewhere
3. Why did Carlisle, Steele, Membrey, Stevens, Brown, Austin and others picked the Saints if Richo was coach?
# I would say most came to us for the money all were surplus to previous clubs needs
# We extend and pay overs for contracts to fill salary cap
Spin is easy
I don't think the Aussie batsmen would agree with you.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

takeaway wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 5:43pm I don't think the Aussie batsmen would agree with you.
yeah even when the Pakis spot them a wicket it wont help

Seeya
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

First and for most Richo is a nice well liked bloke. The players obviously respect him.

Can he organise a coaching team = No.
Is he a strong motivator = No.
Can he inspire the players and team to do better = No.
Is he an expert tactical or match day coach = No.
Does he inspire confidence in the club = No.
Does he have the respect of the AFL = No but well liked.
Can he develop players to take the next step = No.
Is there confidence the team under his tutilege will play finals = NO.

There is no doubt apart from his contract extension the freckled Cho would be gone. NOW does that inspire elite players to want to come to our club I hardly think so. So the overwhelming correct answer to the OP question is a resounding YES.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Names and players?

Where are they?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 8:09pm Names and players?

Where are they?
Hey Ted I like your passion for the club but can you please attach your view to the actual post you are quoting so we know who your're responding to instead of posting a new post every time.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

To answer the OP heading - YES!!!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintkid
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 11:47pm To answer the OP heading - YES!!!
Exactly the case! Richardson is the most boring ,clueless coach in the club's history. Others outside the club can easily see this guy is a rudderless, uninspiring, nothing coach. Keeping him will ultimately cost the club a hell of a lot more $$ and crucial development than what his brainless extended contract will cost to pay him out. He, along with Finnis, needed to go at season's end. As I said before, a meeting with Finnis and Richardson, is enough to make any player with promise look elsewhere.

Saints43
Club Player

Knowing Richo as well as he is known now would any club that didn't have a senior coach in place right now consider him to lead their club?
I doubt he'd be interviewed.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Still don't have a single name of any Saints player that has wanted to leave under Richo's watch. 5 years now. Coming on 6.

Still don't have anything (other than normal stuff) as to why a host of players have decided and were happy to switch over to the Saints under Richo's watch. 5 years now too. Add Hannebery and Kent to this years list for season 6.

Pretty factually and historically accurate then that players are happy under Richo and were happy to switch to the Saints under Richo when factoring in their decision making.

Total = 1.
gwiltyascharged
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 9:02pm Still don't have a single name of any Saints player that has wanted to leave under Richo's watch. 5 years now. Coming on 6.

Still don't have anything (other than normal stuff) as to why a host of players have decided and were happy to switch over to the Saints under Richo's watch. 5 years now too. Add Hannebery and Kent to this years list for season 6.

Pretty factually and historically accurate then that players are happy under Richo and were happy to switch to the Saints under Richo when factoring in their decision making.
Jack Steven was clearly thinking seriously about it.

In reality, we only have about 8 players that could actually go anywhere because we only have 8 players other clubs would be interested in (Steven, Gresham, Ross, Long, Steele, Billings, Membrey, Carlisle).

Remember, any player leaving St Kilda would need to take a large pay-cut. E.g. Our 10th best player would only be the 20th best paid player at another club. Our 5th highest paid player would only be the 10th highest player at most clubs.

E.g. Jack Steven would be in our top 3 highest players. If he went to Geelong he would have had to take a big pay cut. Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield would all be on big coin. Would be a big gap to Jack if he went there. Also would have to broker a trade. Not easy.

Look at Geary. He would be a top 5 paid player at the Saints. At any other club he would not even be top 15-25 on the pay scale.
Last edited by gwiltyascharged on Sun 21 Oct 2018 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 9:02pm Still don't have a single name of any Saints player that has wanted to leave under Richo's watch. 5 years now. Coming on 6.

You were the one who claimed that Billings was a done deal to essendon only a few weeks ago, so either one of our most important young players was seriously considering a move or you were making things up?

Hickey wanted to leave, despite being our current #1 ruckmen, contarcted and on very good money.

Kent isn't quality, he's 25 years old and has spent more time in the VFL than AFL.

Hannebery is coming for a huge contract, has probably be en assured that Richo won't even be involved in 9 months time.

Richo's 5th year saw us win 4 games after publicly professing that we had enough talent to challenge for a flag… and regardless of how you choose to ruminate Richo's 33% W/L record, everybody knows that he is right out on the plank, only a contractual bungle saving him for now. So despite his infamous super-powers in player development, clearly most potential high profile recruits are steering well clear of our unstable environment.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Hickey was told to explore his options. He did not want to leave and was contracted. The Saints traded him out. Got rid of him.

Again, no names.

Hannerbrey and Kent obviously didn't give a crap Richo was coach. Their supposed ability from you has nothing to do with it.

Provide a source Hannerbrey was told Richo was goners?
I'll be waiting.

Provide a name?
Provide a confirmed source confirming a player like Shiel or Wingard or Sloane didn't pick the Saints because of Richo?
Still waiting.

Total = 1.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Tue 09 Oct 2018 4:37pm He’s far from the coach that everyone wants to play for.

Is him being their one of the factors making it even harder to get quality players to the club?
I don't know if it's him specifically. More the team performance.

Another question - is Richo turning out team into boring players?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 9:51pm Still waiting.
Try the quote button if you are talking to me parkey…

Only a complete peanut would demand a literal reference from a player, it's pretty obvious we are about to have an imminent change of coach.

Were you lying about Billings?

Plenty of players think richo is an absolute cabbage including a couple of recently retired all time club greats who were holding us together.