Cooney on Richo's tenure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Cooney on Richo's tenure

Is there any substance to this one??

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c04be4b842

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cooney on Richo's tenure

Can you paraphrase it?

Nee!
mohannair
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 12:13pm Can you paraphrase it?
Fugazi,
I thought it all had settled down, seems like this will not go away...

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Tell me more, Tell me more...

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Thinks it might be Richo's last year.
O. M. G. !

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Can we just let Alan coach and get the list ready over pre season. If he has a shocker of a year then lets discuss it.

Because...at the moment its not even Rd 1 and the man is coaching the Saints. I'm backing Alan in to have a good year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 1:32pm Can we just let Alan coach and get the list ready over pre season. If he has a shocker of a year then lets discuss it.

Because...at the moment its not even Rd 1 and the man is coaching the Saints. I'm backing Alan in to have a good year.
No I don't think so mate, people are here to discuss all areas of the club… if you're not interested in a particular topic, just skip it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 1:32pm Can we just let Alan coach and get the list ready over pre season. If he has a shocker of a year then lets discuss it.

I think most are 'backing him' in the sense they hope like f*** he can somehow turn s*** around - but to associate 'backing him' with unquestioned support is just unrealistic.

FWIW, it's also unnecessary. He's got to perform. Simple.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The speculation won't subside because Richo is as about useful as a comatose corpse at a flamenco dance tournament.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember mates who follow Melbourne were pushing to give Neeld more time- "he will be top coach etc etc blah blah". The Melbourne club did the right thing though. Richo had a small purple patch, but after 5 years of overall failure, he is not going to suddenly be someone he aint!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

As a poster named Kerry said in the comments section following the article,

Kerry
1 hour ago
Herald Sun is game letting anyone/everyone be published with articles as in the demise of an AFL senior coach. Who/what does Cooney really think he is? does he have any evidence to support his article or is it just an opinion thought up whilst having a few beers?"

Cooney is a f*** wit. Always has been, always will be.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I'm with you Ted, Richo is the incumbent coach and he would be well aware that 2019 will define his future career - I have long argued that unless after 6 rounds the Saints show marked improvement in all areas of the game, and chalked up some solid wins, he will be doomed...

The article by Adam Cooney is titled: "Richo close to gone: Cooney" is nothing more than a desperate headline by a struggling commentator who fluked a Brownlow but was only ever a very average player, hoping that the Sport Editor of the Herald Sun will continue to give him a gig next year, wouldn't mind betting that he won't!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
chico2001
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 3:37pm

I'm with you Ted, Richo is the incumbent coach and he would be well aware that 2019 will define his future career - I have long argued that unless after 6 rounds the Saints show marked improvement in all areas of the game, and chalked up some solid wins, he will be doomed...

The article by Adam Cooney is titled: "Richo close to gone: Cooney" is nothing more than a desperate headline by a struggling commentator who fluked a Brownlow but was only ever a very average player, hoping that the Sport Editor of the Herald Sun will continue to give him a gig next year, wouldn't mind betting that he won't!
Regardless of the article, you might have to back track on your assessment of Cooney as a player, 250 games at nearly a goal a game and with bad knees. Brownlow medallist and the only No 1 draft pick to take that honour. He was an elite player for 3-4 years. Nothing average about that in my book.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Cooney has simply given voice to the obvious. Nothing that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on here. No inside information given, just an opinion in a flat spot for AFL news. I dare say most football commentators have thought this, even the Cho's work colleagues Robbo & Whately.

The next obvious coach would be Bolton, followed by Hinkley.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I support Stkilda FC
I will cheer the players

MY LOVE FOR THE CLUB DOES NOT HAVE TO EXTEND TO SUPPORT STAFF

Seeya
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear from you Alan

Nee!
stonecold
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:12pm I support Stkilda FC
I will cheer the players

MY LOVE FOR THE CLUB DOES NOT HAVE TO EXTEND TO SUPPORT STAFF
Billy looks forward to your support!!!!! ;)

PS. If you pay your membership, you are supporting/showing your love for the support staff anyway!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 1:54pm ... a flamenco dance tournament.
Sound like a hoot, or should I say squawk. When's the next one?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

the only #1 pick to jag a Charlie

thats an interesting observation

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

stonecold wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:33pm

PS. If you pay your membership, you are supporting/showing your love for the support staff anyway!!!!! ;)
Billy has always had my support - its just a pity/frustrating he is not able to be the kind of player required of a modern ruckman & I am allowed to express those frustrations & disappointment

Equating money to love is sort of a bit weird - but it does explain a bit

Seeya
stonecold
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:27pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:33pm

Billy has always had my support - its just a pity/frustrating he is not able to be the kind of player required of a modern ruckman & I am allowed to express those frustrations & disappointment

Equating money to love is sort of a bit weird - but it does explain a bit
Always had your support, really?????

Equating money to love, that's most marriages!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sure.

'SOUTH Australian Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney has predicted St Kilda coach Alan Richardson is about to enter his final year of senior coaching.

Cooney, who had Richardson as a development coach in his early days at the Western Bulldogs, predicted the recruitment of Sydney champion Dan Hannebery would not be enough to save the Saints’ senior coach from the axe.

Richardson, who previously worked as a senior assistant coach under Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide, has been at St Kilda for five seasons without making the finals.

“My first development coach at the Western Bulldogs, he was, Alan Richardson” Cooney said on Adelaide radio Sportsday SA. “So I should be quite complimentary of him, because he did help me get a game early on in my career.

“I think he will last the season but I don’t think he’ll last the season after that.

“I just don’t see where the improvement comes from for the Saints.

“We talked about Dan Hannebery being their main acquisition in the off-season but again … I’ve watched him play pretty closely over the last couple of years (and) he does look banged up.

“Don’t see how much improvement he’s going to make unless he gets his body right, which would be ideal.”

Richardson is contracted until the end of the 2020 season but several reports have suggested there are performance-based clauses in his contract that will need to be met for him extend his tenure beyond next season."

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Making accurate predictions of failure is easy and the chances of being right are a lot higher than being able to accurately predict success.

David-Lee
Club Player

Bowey Boy wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 1:16pm Tell me more, Tell me more...
Richo wont get very far...

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:56pm
Sure.

'SOUTH Australian Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney has predicted St Kilda coach Alan Richardson is about to enter his final year of senior coaching.

Cooney, who had Richardson as a development coach in his early days at the Western Bulldogs, predicted the recruitment of Sydney champion Dan Hannebery would not be enough to save the Saints’ senior coach from the axe.

Richardson, who previously worked as a senior assistant coach under Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide, has been at St Kilda for five seasons without making the finals.

“My first development coach at the Western Bulldogs, he was, Alan Richardson” Cooney said on Adelaide radio Sportsday SA. “So I should be quite complimentary of him, because he did help me get a game early on in my career.

“I think he will last the season but I don’t think he’ll last the season after that.

“I just don’t see where the improvement comes from for the Saints.

“We talked about Dan Hannebery being their main acquisition in the off-season but again … I’ve watched him play pretty closely over the last couple of years (and) he does look banged up.

“Don’t see how much improvement he’s going to make unless he gets his body right, which would be ideal.”

Richardson is contracted until the end of the 2020 season but several reports have suggested there are performance-based clauses in his contract that will need to be met for him extend his tenure beyond next season."
So Cooney is being pilloried by some on here for saying the blinding obvious ....

Riiigghht.