Paddy dropped nearly 10kg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Paddy dropped nearly 10kg

fugazi wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 10:35pm So all the people who scorned anyone suggesting that his diabetes was going to be a problem.....

Not only does he have trouble with blood sugar levels within a game

Not only does he take longer to recover from games and injuries
But now, we hear he gets fat while he sleeps?

I know he's a good kid and he doesn't blame his condition...but FFS why did we take that risk with pick 1?

Millionth time we have gone thru it I know.

Good luck Paddy maybe 2019 will be your year.
Largely spot on. Paddy has never complained and if we're all going to burn down the village and affix blame to anyone in this process - it's our recruiting team.

Then again - they were faced with (1) Picking Petracca who deliberately fire-bombed his interview process with us and hence, was a significant flight risk after 2 years or (2) Picked Paddy and here we are now. In some ways it was a lose/lose as neither have really been befitting of a pick 1 or 2 (and I know plenty of Dees supporters who're as royally frustrated with front-running 'trac' as we've often been with Paddy.

The irony of course being that pick 3 (A Brayshaw) is now the jet of the 3 and the one I'd want right now given the choice (or that De Goey kid at pick 5 :roll: ). But even up until late last season, Brayshaw was 1 more concussion and De Goey another lifestyle c**k-up away from being doneski.
Last edited by Saintmatt on Fri 26 Oct 2018 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.

Go you red, black & white warriors
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Not a great draft year...
Probably Brayshaw, DeGoey and Lever 1,2 &3 in retrospect.

Nee!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

That’d make the big fella slimmer than Petracca.😎

saintly
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:13pm This is becoming an annual thread.

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94277

That was what i was going to say

gwiltyascharged
Club Player

saintly wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:38pm

Started by 'parkeysainter' two years in a row.
Paddy smashes his PB in 3km time trial
Post by parkeysainter » Wed 08 Nov 2017 9:47pm

The old 3km ball buster. It really sorts out the boys from the men in the fitness stakes.

Great to see Paddy smash his personal PB in pre-season training. Very positive news and he is looking fit from all reports.

lewdogs
Club Player

gwiltyascharged wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 11:01pm
saintly wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:38pm

Started by 'parkeysainter' two years in a row.
Paddy smashes his PB in 3km time trial
Post by parkeysainter » Wed 08 Nov 2017 9:47pm

The old 3km ball buster. It really sorts out the boys from the men in the fitness stakes.

Great to see Paddy smash his personal PB in pre-season training. Very positive news and he is looking fit from all reports.
You seem like a lot of fun Gwilty. Fancy getting together to suck on lemons for a few hours? Might follow up with a session of standing in a cold puddle of water. Will be the best time you've had in years.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Lol

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
David-Lee
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 11:48am
Zed wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:03pm
Saintmatt wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 12:58pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 11:12am Why has it taken him this long to figure out that he's fat?
You can't keep blaming diabetes.
That's a seriously uneducated question / comment. Poor form.

But for the record - here's something about Paddy's particular condition that you might want to get yourself educated on. And by particular, I mean relating to him and not all diabetics.

Paddy's body has a somewhat strange metabolism in that, during prolonged rest state, he actually puts on weight. In layman's terms - he actually puts on weight when he sleeps. Not water weight, actually body fat. Virtually no one without diabetes has that condition and it's not overly common in those with type-1 diabetes. Every noticed how when he's injured and does mini pre-seasons and he looks pretty trim and lean? That's what overt and prolonged exercise and activity does to HIS body. But, when that intense exercise stops (i.e. in-season when the training is less intense and more about recovery) that's when the weight can come back on hence, he appears heavier.

I've not heard Paddy publicly complain about his diabetes once nor blame it for any outcome in his career but you seem to have put those words in his mouth. So - well done you - good job.

I actually really hope Paddy fires up and shows more of what there's been glimpses of so far. He's got his challenges, like a lot of people but, it appears he's having a fair crack at doing everything he can do to make himself better footballer for our club.
So I have to ask ... what is this Other metabolic condition called ? It’s the first time I’m hearing Paddy has this
When was this other condition diagnosed?
How do you know ?
Did our recruiters know when they they recruited him ?
If you read my post - it's not an 'other' condition. It's the way HIS particular body manifests type 1 diabetes.

I have no idea whether our recruiters knew this when they selected him or when it was discovered - best you ask them.

I'm just sick and tired of all the bullsh!t innuendo and slagging-off of a guy who has an issue that makes it difficult for him to be great hence, I thought it time to share some facts to set the record straight.

That said, I'm sure there'll be some on here that will find a new issue to bag Paddy on.

I dont blame his diabetes or being 5-10 kilos overweight . I watched him give a half ass effort more than one game where he acts like he cant be assed to get in the front of his man and take a lead mark on the chest. I have seen him play quite well and act motivated to lead, mark or at least contest. My gripe is that he appears to lack either the confidence, the actual ability, or maybe he's just afraid after 6 concussions. I dont know. But it seems if he thinks he can beat someone he goes for the ball but he got soundly manhandled by most clubs defenders in most games he played. Let's hope it is only confidence and that getting down to the weight he was last year at preseason ( means zero) will give him some magical powers to be the player I just don't think he will ever be, but so desperately hope to be wrong 5yrs in.....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can posters please use nicks such as Con2,Parkey2 etc so we know who you are

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
realdeal
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 11:57am
fugazi wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 10:35pm So all the people who scorned anyone suggesting that his diabetes was going to be a problem.....

Not only does he have trouble with blood sugar levels within a game

Not only does he take longer to recover from games and injuries
But now, we hear he gets fat while he sleeps?

I know he's a good kid and he doesn't blame his condition...but FFS why did we take that risk with pick 1?

Millionth time we have gone thru it I know.

Good luck Paddy maybe 2019 will be your year.
Largely spot on. Paddy has never complained and if we're all going to burn down the village and affix blame to anyone in this process - it's our recruiting team.

Then again - they were faced with (1) Picking Petracca who deliberately fire-bombed his interview process with us and hence, was a significant flight risk after 2 years or (2) Picked Paddy and here we are now. In some ways it was a lose/lose as neither have really been befitting of a pick 1 or 2 (and I know plenty of Dees supporters who're as royally frustrated with front-running 'trac' as we've often been with Paddy.

The irony of course being that pick 3 (A Brayshaw) is now the jet of the 3 and the one I'd want right now given the choice (or that De Goey kid at pick 5 :roll: ). But even up until late last season, Brayshaw was 1 more concussion and De Goey another lifestyle c**k-up away from being doneski.
Or you get creative and package that No.1 pick for a mix of picks/players, esp if we had any concerns about he or Pratracca. You certainly don't accept a lose/lose proposition when you have the first pick in the draft.

In saying that, he was highly rated for a reason, lets hope Paddy has now matured and developed to the point where he can make a real impact on the competition..

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

It seems like he's been around forever, but he's still only 22. Still a kid in the big scheme of things but he does have to start delivering.

He could potentially have another 10 years in the game and at the Saints if it all clicks.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Needs a 50+ goal season and keep it uninterrupted.

It is the only way the football world will STFU.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

So it was a bad year to have pick 1 with not a lot on offer and we choose poorly. Someone with diabetes is a risk and has come back to night us. I also find it hard to believe that he didn't know he was not afl standard with that extra fat.
No second efforts, poor kicking and marking, I remember one shot on goal went backwards and lost count.We need improvement this year or I think we have to face facts that he is a dud

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 8:55am So it was a bad year to have pick 1 with not a lot on offer and we choose poorly. Someone with diabetes is a risk and has come back to night us. I also find it hard to believe that he didn't know he was not afl standard with that extra fat.
No second efforts, poor kicking and marking, I remember one shot on goal went backwards and lost count.We need improvement this year or I think we have to face facts that he is a dud

Paddy is far from a dud and I think people that make the call that he is have no idea at all.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
DJ Higgins
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 9:14am
DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 8:55am So it was a bad year to have pick 1 with not a lot on offer and we choose poorly. Someone with diabetes is a risk and has come back to bite us. I also find it hard to believe that he didn't know he was not afl standard with that extra fat.
No second efforts, poor kicking and marking, I remember one shot on goal went backwards and lost count how many sitters, both marks and shots eh butchered. We need improvement this year or I think we have to face facts that he is a dud

Paddy is far from a dud and I think people that make the call that he is have no idea at all.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 9:43am
CURLY wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 9:14am
I believe the proof is in the pudding and if he has another substandard year where he appears to be a liability and not adding value up forward what do you want us to do?
Keep him for ever. Look I hope he becomes a gun, I do and kpp take time to deliver but how long do we keep him for. If we get lukosius or heaven forbid max king, another key forward prospect with a medical concern, spots up forward become harder to get and we can't keep all the forwards, someone has to go

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Of all the number one picks still playing Paddy would be at the very bottom, fighting with weitering and boyd for relevancy, and boyd will at least retire knowing he played a huge role in a flag.
so yes, so far he has been a dud. all we can do is hope something changes, but also hope the club is being proactive in looking elsewhere.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "