Best 22 with a bit of lateral thinking!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

darylcowie
Club Player

Best 22 with a bit of lateral thinking!

B: Geary Austin Webster

HB: Roberton Carlisle McKenzie

C: Savage Hannebury Kent

HF: Membrey Bruce Billings

F: Steven McCartin Long

R: Marshall Ross Gresham

I: Dunstan Acres Steele Sinclair

E: Pierce Battle White Clark

Brown and Armitage are cooked, so Austin and Dunstan/Hannebury are obvious replacement options.

I also don't think Longer (too slow/drops marks), Newnes (no defensive pressure) or Lonie (too small) are worth persisting with.

Savage moves to a wing where he played for the Hawks with some success using his raking right boot and run/carry to best effect (with less opponent accountability than he needed as a defender).

Hannebury (rich man's Armo) and Kent (poor man's Gaff) are also given licence to do what they were recruited for, midfield/general leadership and outside speed and kicking penetration, respectively.

Bruce is also given roaming licence ala Roo at CHF.

Steven spends more time forward, swapping roles with Gresham in the midfield, but both still have a role to play there.

Marshall as first ruck for mobility and defensive accountability and here's where things get really lateral, because I would have Carlisle as second ruck, swapping with Marshall at CHB, since both are mobile enough to play both roles and Carlisle just needs to give Marshall a chop out in the ruck for 10 minutes per quarter.

I remember Joey saying when Carlisle was recruited and subsequently suspended for 12 months that in 2016 he was going to be used as our second ruck option, due to his size and aerial supremacy.

Thoughts anyone?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Best 22 with a bit of lateral thinking!

Some hits and misses

Brown and Armitage are cooked: - Armo yes, Brown no. Seriously Brown holds down gorillas really well but shouldn't play when it is a small forward line
Longer, Newnes or Lonie could all go and I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep. Still dirty on Lonie getting 2 years
Savage to the wing. Disagree. I don't think he has the tank to do that and never really noticed his speed. Does have a long accurate kick though
Hannebury and Kent recruited to play so let them play
Bruce barely kicks straight when he doesn't roam, why make him more fatigued. Disagree here
Steven forward. So you want to take our best and only player that is fast in the midfield and move him forward? really. Pass
Marshall to be ruck. Ok and he can swign forward. Carlisle second ruck. Pass here as well. We have Pierce for a reason and they will play in the rucks and hopefully improve
No Coffield in you team either.
I understand there is no pick 4 there either but I would have pick 4 on the interchange bench instead of Dunstan. If he is Rankine or Smith he will start early in 2019, If it's king, then no

bergsone
SS Life Member

imo we need Clarke and Cottfield to step up this year ,so Cottfield HBF Clarke to rotate midfield,Dont like Carlisle second ruck,happier with a Pierce Marshall combo there

Crossy66
Club Player

darylcowie wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 1:37pm B: Geary Austin Webster

C: Savage Hannebury Kent

HF: Membrey Bruce Billings

F: Steven McCartin Long

R: Marshall Ross Gresham

I: Dunstan Acres Steele Sinclair

E: Pierce Battle White Clark

Brown and Armitage are cooked, so Austin and Dunstan/Hannebury are obvious replacement options.

I also don't think Longer (too slow/drops marks), Newnes (no defensive pressure) or Lonie (too small) are worth persisting with.

Savage moves to a wing where he played for the Hawks with some success using his raking right boot and run/carry to best effect (with less opponent accountability than he needed as a defender).

Hannebury (rich man's Armo) and Kent (poor man's Gaff) are also given licence to do what they were recruited for, midfield/general leadership and outside speed and kicking penetration, respectively.

Bruce is also given roaming licence ala Roo at CHF.

Steven spends more time forward, swapping roles with Gresham in the midfield, but both still have a role to play there.

Marshall as first ruck for mobility and defensive accountability and here's where things get really lateral, because I would have Carlisle as second ruck, swapping with Marshall at CHB, since both are mobile enough to play both roles and Carlisle just needs to give Marshall a chop out in the ruck for 10 minutes per quarter.

I remember Joey saying when Carlisle was recruited and subsequently suspended for 12 months that in 2016 he was going to be used as our second ruck option, due to his size and aerial supremacy.

Thoughts anyone?
Interesting exercise. You could mount a case for 7 or 8 changes such is the evenness of of list and there wouldnt be too much difference between them. You have players named not in their position, but thats ok, doesnt matter much where they are named - i.e. Steven is our best mid. I dont think this will be our round 1 line up (rightly or wrongly)
I reckon all of Longer, Clark, Armo Newnes will play, would like to find spots for Coffield, Rice & Battle. All would be ahead of McKenzie, Dunstan, Marshall. Would like to see two rucks played so maybe marshall gets a run but not sure who would go out. maybe Bruce goes back.
Also think Rankine or Smith would be in the mix.
Problem is we have a list with lots of B's and not enough A's so it could come down to who's ripping it up on the track

chico2001
Club Player

Not a bad effort:
Pierce would have to go 1st ruck- with Bruce back -up. Marshall can play forward somewhere.
Have to have Steven in the middle for pace
Cant see Dunstan getting a game
I really don't think Gresham can play on the ball for more than 10 minutes, if that.
I think battle will get his way into that side as well...early in the year. If McCartin and/or Bruce cant get a kick then they are gone and Battle will take that spot.
Steele will be a walk up starter in that side. Long, Kent or Savage to come out

robsaint
Club Player

My 2 cents

B: Geary Austin Webster

C: Savage Hannebury Acres

HF: McCartin Bruce Billings

F: Gresham Membrey Long

R: Marshall Ross Steven Gresham

I: Pierce Steele Kent Sinclair

E: #4 pick Battle Coffield Dunstan

Don't think Pierce or Marshall can hold down the ruck so for the time being we need both in the team. Marshall also gives us other options up forward. Sinclair could drop out for #4 depending type of player recruited. Haven't seen enough of Kent to determine if he can play on the wing.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

B: Webster Brown Roberton
HB Coffield Carlisle Billings
C Ross Hannebery Gresham
HF Acres Bruce Clark
F Long Marshall Membrey

R: Pierce Steven Steele

Inter: Geary Armitage Phillips Mckenzie

Emerg: Savage Sinclair Lonie ( then in order of preference: McCartin Newnes Austin Battle Kent Rice Paton Dunstan White Longer