What's Happening with McCartin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mordiboyz
Club Player

Re: What's Happening with McCartin?

I just think most Saints supporters are just sick and tired of players being selected based on draft order rather than performance.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

mordiboyz wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 11:49am I just think most Saints supporters are just sick and tired of players being selected based on draft order rather than performance.
hit the nail on the head there

Choppa
Club Player

There's some putrid stuff within this thread.
Roger that

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 7:48am
SuperDuper wrote: Thu 08 Nov 2018 1:23am I guess it is the foot injury he got, they dont want him pounding pavement

presumably he will still do some work.. he will just do it on grass...
Put him out to pasture and move on.
Simon, could we create an extra board where Ace comments on Paddy and stonecold comments on Tom Hickey. They both have interesting things to say on other topics so I don't want to put them on ignore. But they just pollute the board with the same stuff over and over.

Maybe start a thread for each player (present and recently past).
"Why I hate Tom Hickey"
"Why I hate Jake Carlilse"
"Why I hate Jack Steven"
etc.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
minneapolis
Club Player

Choppa wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 12:34pm
There's some putrid stuff within this thread.
Roger that
Choppa, I thought you died?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 12:11pm
mordiboyz wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 11:49am I just think most Saints supporters are just sick and tired of players being selected based on draft order rather than performance.
Really?

In the lead up to the 2018 season there was a lot of conjecture about Paddy having had interrupted seasons and having been unable to have a decent shot at establishing himself. So why not give him a decent crack at it? And yes the fact he went number one does come into it. Because that indicates he’s obviously very talented (regardless of what some may think) and acknowledges we did make a huge investment in him. Why wouldn’t we want to do everything to see a return on that investment?

But Paddy aside, who are all these other high draft picks being unfairly selected? Billings? Perhaps, although I reckon he actually performed better than any Sandringham replacement would’ve done.

Who else?

During the year most supporters had problems with selections such as Gilbert (pick 33 more than a decade ago), Weller (pick 20 in Rookie draft) and Newnes (a pick 37). Fans also at times vented their frustration at the selection of the skipper (pick 58 in Rookie draft) and Nathan Brown (restricted FA). I don't think any of these players were selected on their draft order.

Yes we want to have integrity when it comes to our selection process. And yes sometimes it seems that the coach has his favourites.

However to simply suggest there’s a problem with high draft picks getting undeserved games doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

mordiboyz
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 1:10pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 19 Nov 2018 12:11pm
Really?

In the lead up to the 2018 season there was a lot of conjecture about Paddy having had interrupted seasons and having been unable to have a decent shot at establishing himself. So why not give him a decent crack at it? And yes the fact he went number one does come into it. Because that indicates he’s obviously very talented (regardless of what some may think) and acknowledges we did make a huge investment in him. Why wouldn’t we want to do everything to see a return on that investment?

But Paddy aside, who are all these other high draft picks being unfairly selected? Billings? Perhaps, although I reckon he actually performed better than any Sandringham replacement would’ve done.

Who else?

During the year most supporters had problems with selections such as Gilbert (pick 33 more than a decade ago), Weller (pick 20 in Rookie draft) and Newnes (a pick 37). Fans also at times vented their frustration at the selection of the skipper (pick 58 in Rookie draft) and Nathan Brown (restricted FA). I don't think any of these players were selected on their draft order.

Yes we want to have integrity when it comes to our selection process. And yes sometimes it seems that the coach has his favourites.

However to simply suggest there’s a problem with high draft picks getting undeserved games doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. We want integrity when it comes to selection.

Every Thursday night I go to sleep totally bewildered with who is selected and why.

Whether it be because of drafting order or who is the coaches favourite..... it doesn't really matter. The process of team selection has been one of our major weaknesses.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Kind of the point about nail on head comment. Not just paddy but there were favourites getting picked all season over those that deserves to play. Made no sense and our ladder position showed this
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Mon 19 Nov 2018 4:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Selection was just plain unbelievable at times.

Jack Newnes for example.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....