I cannot believe we are going to recruit.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ListManager
Club Player

I cannot believe we are going to recruit.....

Max King. Didn't our stupid club learn anything from the McCartin experience.? FFS, we need elite MIDFIELDERS . James Gallagher and Libba should be removed from their positions if they do this.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: I cannot believe we are going to recruit.....

I cannot believe I opened this thread.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 8:32am Max King. Didn't our stupid club learn anything from the McCartin experience.? FFS, we need elite MIDFIELDERS . James Gallagher and Libba should be removed from their positions if they do this.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If they don't select Max King at 4 if he is available they should be removed from their positions!

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Well, Paddy has provided no forward presence at all, and seems to get injured quite a bit- in effect we have been down a big forward for a couple of seasons. So yes we need classy midfielders, but also a big forward.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 9:36am Well, Paddy has provided no forward presence at all, and seems to get injured quite a bit- in effect we have been down a big forward for a couple of seasons. So yes we need classy midfielders, but also a big forward.
Yeah, I would have thought that the whole premise of the OP is quite ironic.

We shouldn't recruit a good one because the one we thought was good is no good.

?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I agree that I would prefer an elite outside mid or someone with genuine pace but with Walsh going at 1 (most likely) and Rankin gone at 3 it doesn't leave a lot of "Elite" potential.

always like this rating report
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/2 ... ins-top-10

Smith is an inside mid who will play off half back which we don't need. Plus I think others will go past him if they adopt his work effort. Great player and kid from all accounts but not what we need
Caldwell is anotehr inside mid with Hammy concerns. Want to risk another Freeman?
Rozee rated at 13 now

Bottom line is we take the best player available which will most likely be King and get outside mids with our next picks.

Then suck it up for a year, say bye to Richo and start afresh in 2020 hopefully after securing a great player with our pick 1-3 from 2019

outside66
Club Player

I've warmed to the idea as I don't think that Bruce is elite nor ever will be. McCartin still has time on his side and if we get any luck, he'll become a genuine gun full forward. If King lives up to the hype then a forward line consisting of Paddy, King, Battle, and Membrey could be a tasty forward line for many years.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

...I can and hope we do!

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What is really faarked is that we don't know what the CEO and footy boss are thinking.

Are we in full rebuild mode or are we still trying to delude ourselves that with the addition of 2-3 new players we are going to catapult ourselves into finals?

If we bite the bullet and do a full rebuild, then best option imo is Max King if he's available.

stkfc1
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 10:25am I've warmed to the idea as I don't think that Bruce is elite nor ever will be. McCartin still has time on his side and if we get any luck, he'll become a genuine gun full forward. If King lives up to the hype then a forward line consisting of Paddy, King, Battle, and Membrey could be a tasty forward line for many years.
Im with you. Add Gresh, Long, Lonie and Marshall to the mix and it has the potential to be is a really formidable forward line.

Yes we need mids BUT if we get our book ends right Quality mids will look at it and think" I could slot right in there and look who I get to kick it too" . Our defence is already ok. I think with Steele, Hanners and Gresh in the middle more next year it takes some pressure of Ross and Steven. Im expecting Steele become a B+ to A-
player next year. to Im really liking what im seeing Hanners bring to the table already. If he can get his body right, we've done ourselves a huge favour.

ListManager
Club Player

what a joke.

takeaway
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 12:57pm what a joke.
First time a poster has criticised their own thread.

outside66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 12:03pm What is really faarked is that we don't know what the CEO and footy boss are thinking.

Are we in full rebuild mode or are we still trying to delude ourselves that with the addition of 2-3 new players we are going to catapult ourselves into finals?

If we bite the bullet and do a full rebuild, then best option imo is Max King if he's available.
James Gallagher was on the AFL podcast a few weeks ago and was asked directly that - are we rebuilding - where he backed our list and pointed out missing personnel, lack of experience, and a lack of pace around the ground etc had hurt us this year. He went on to say that midfield class had been identified with Hannaz set to be a huge help in addition to Kent providing more speed around the ground. I'm paraphrasing abit as I listened to it a while ago but that was the main gist. Have a listen below

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-02/p ... h-pick-no4

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 8:32am Max King. Didn't our stupid club learn anything from the McCartin experience.? FFS, we need elite MIDFIELDERS . James Gallagher and Libba should be removed from their positions if they do this.
Calm down.

What make you think he won't be a gun? he was the likely no 1 pick before injury. Remember he hasn't played at all this year and hes still a top 5 certainty.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 1:13pm
Calm down.

What make you think he won't be a gun? he was the likely no 1 pick before injury. Remember he hasn't played at all this year and hes still a top 5 certainty.
In my experience with this particular poster... whose signature indicates he’s posted under several notorious nicks in the past... he/she is obsessed with the idea that you should take every good player you have and trade them for draft picks mids... then if any of the recruits start to get good, trade them for more draft picks for more mids.

Anything that’s not recruiting a mid and trading players for draft picks is unsatisfactory in his eyes

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why are we responding to nexus?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It would be great for McCartin if the Saints recruited King. He would need to extract the digit. It also gives the Saints the opportunity to trade him to the Cats for a midfielder next year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

More insight from the List Manager.

Probably rated Richie Tambling.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Personally, I can't believe we're going to pick up another coloured ink cartridge when we clearly need MORE BLACK INK. What's the point in getting more flashy colours when the body of our documents look so dull and lifeless? Nobody has ever won anything important with a fancy header. If we replace the coloured ink before the black ink, Stevo and Shaz in admin should be sacked. We're the fair dinkum laughing stock of all the laboured analogies.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ListManager
Club Player

Calm down.

Like I said back in 2014, I would not risk pick 1 on a diabetic. If I was using pick 40 and above then it's a different story. I would probably risk it.
Now it's 2018 and I am saying I would not risk pick 4 on someone that has already had a knee reconstruction. If we could get him with a pick in the 30's I would risk it but not pick 4.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I want Rankine. It seems he will be gone by pick 4. There appears to be some massive hype around King by many good judges so I don’t mind if we get him. I can’t see how he could do anything good in the AFL for three years however given his injury, light frame and position/opponents. But at 204 cm you only have to look at Mason Cox (211cm?) to see how dominant he could eventually be.

Flagless
Club Player

"Nah all good, we have Hanneberry- well he was elite 3 years ago- does that count ?

saint64
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 5:15pm
Calm down.

Like I said back in 2014, I would not risk pick 1 on a diabetic. If I was using pick 40 and above then it's a different story. I would probably risk it.
Now it's 2018 and I am saying I would not risk pick 4 on someone that has already had a knee reconstruction. If we could get him with a pick in the 30's I would risk it but not pick 4.
On the other hand, if we had taken the risk with Judd in 2001 despite his dodgy shoulder...

Flagless
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 12:45pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 10:25am I've warmed to the idea as I don't think that Bruce is elite nor ever will be. McCartin still has time on his side and if we get any luck, he'll become a genuine gun full forward. If King lives up to the hype then a forward line consisting of Paddy, King, Battle, and Membrey could be a tasty forward line for many years.
Im with you. Add Gresh, Long, Lonie and Marshall to the mix and it has the potential to be is a really formidable forward line.

Yes we need mids BUT if we get our book ends right Quality mids will look at it and think" I could slot right in there and look who I get to kick it too" . Our defence is already ok. I think with Steele, Hanners and Gresh in the middle more next year it takes some pressure of Ross and Steven. Im expecting Steele become a B+ to A-
player next year. to Im really liking what im seeing Hanners bring to the table already. If he can get his body right, we've done ourselves a huge favour.
Its November, please enlighten me as to what Hanneberry has "bought to the table" FFS, its about what he does in a game, not in front of the TV cameras

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 6:18pm
ListManager wrote: Tue 20 Nov 2018 5:15pm
Calm down.

On the other hand, if we had taken the risk with Judd in 2001 despite his dodgy shoulder...
Just a pity Judd didn't rehab at St Kilda.