Rate our draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rate our draft

chico2001 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 5:32pm
saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:52pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:50pm
saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:30pm
dragit wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:05pm
saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 2:45pm
Flagless wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 2:02pm I've seen Parker a number of times this year and while he has talent it is still a big risk. He had troubled teen years and has only in the last 2 years had any impact at WAFL level. He has potential but not much would have to go wrong off the field for it to all blow up
Hopefully. in the Saints environment , he will blossom. Keep your fingers crossed but give the young man a chance. The Saints have.
You'll be the first to get a hatchet in his back the moment he steps out of line, nothing surer.
That is just utter bulls*** and just another on of your attempts to stalk and bully me. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Like to have played on you for just 5 minutes saynta...........
You would have ended up on your fat backside.
I would have fixed those bulging discs for you....no problem at all........with a good knee in the back
In my experience, guys claiming to be tough, are usually wimps when the chips are down.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 10:41am
dragit wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 5:11pm
Flagless wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 2:02pm I've seen Parker a number of times this year and while he has talent it is still a big risk. He had troubled teen years and has only in the last 2 years had any impact at WAFL level. He has potential but not much would have to go wrong off the field for it to all blow up
Hopefully. in the Saints environment , he will blossom. Keep your fingers crossed but give the young man a chance. The Saints have.
You'll be the first to get a hatchet in his back the moment he steps out of line, nothing surer.
That is just utter bulls*** and just another on of your attempts to stalk and bully me. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Just simple pattern recognition mate, you set em' up… I'll knock em' down.
You calling me mate is extremely offensive to me.
Maybe you should campaign to get the word banned M8. :lol:

barneyboyz
Club Player

I mentioned a while back in another thread about the bloke from the Bombers, he looked real good and am excited he's found us.

They are all going to need to get to work real quick to make an impact (even Kingy), but watching the highlights packages these are all good choices, and appear to have been shrewd ones.

A- today, but who knows?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
axcellence
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 8:46am Not really sure the mature age argument holds up if they aren't in our top ,22. Sandy will be wrapped of course. As none of these mature agers are automatic inclusions in our team. As per a previous post who do the inside mid, hbf and 2 small forwards replace? We picked players in positions we have enough of already. Hbf we have way too many already, inside mids same and we recruited hanneberry as well and that leaves small forwards where we just got Kent.
Me personally this draft is on the shoulders of king. Unfortunately we find out in 2021 how good he will be.

How fans rate this draft anything above a 6 really baffles me
Look it’s a Recruiment equivalent of a hail mary with Hanneberry and the mature recruits. Unfortunately all the damage was done already with Billings over Bont and McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie, et al.

It is about getting the ones we got, plus seeing what the coaching change means. Otherwise saddle up for a rebuild to 2024.

Pleasing
Club Player

Would be interesting to know what we all think success looks like in 4-5 years time.

Seems we had 2 different agendas with the draft. First King and Bytel were best available long term talent then Secondly Parker Hind Young were short term solutions to address a specific area of weakness and possibly to enable us to deliver on a specific game plan. Wilke it appears is more insurance for our back line where we have some question marks on our talls.

1. King and Bytel Long Term Strategy: Some risk on both these guys with their injuries and with King on the recent history of highly touted key forwards in the pointy end of the draft.
a) King was clearly best available at the pick has the talent to be a star. We could have gone conservative and picked Rozee or Smith who look more certain to play in the short term and probably more of a safe bet to become good long term AFL players. Or we could have traded down for multiple picks but I think we made the right call, it is unlikely we will have a chance to pick a KPF talent like King again for many years to come, time will tell.
b) With Bytel not too many picks in the 40's make it so don't mind taking a punt on a kid with question marks on his body but with high end talent. Most exciting is he wins a lot of the ball particularly contested ball can never have too many of those guys. Suspect his future will depend on whether his body can withstand the stresses of AFL footy.

2. Parker Hind Young Short Term Strategy: This was a clear signal of intent we want to be a fast high pressure side and we picked guys who are ready to play, all super quick, take the game on and apply pressure. The measure of success of these picks will be easy to assess by end of next year. No point picking these guys if they end up playing all year at Sandy, they were picked with a purpose in mind, if they help us implement a new game plan and the coaches back them in with game time it could have a much bigger impact than their own individual contribution. Will be a test of the coaching team to back the strategy even if they don't immediately click. The measure of success is as much about how the rest of the team go ie. Billings and Gresh spending more time in the midfield and getting their creativity and delivery further up the ground as it is about how many possessions the new boys get and goals they kick. If Parker Hind and Young are all running around at Sandy in round 23 it has been a failure.

I like the fact they have a plan, just filling the list with 18 year olds at picks 50+ is unlikely to solve any of our list problems. We made the right call IMO. Now lets see if we selected the right players.

Let me in
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Are there any other highlight reels around for Max King? I spent some time looking at the different highlight reels for our recruits & came away a little underwhelmed by all bar Bytel's and Parker's.

Seems like a Hail Mary when it had no need to be.

I still want to know all those judges who had the Bont in front of Billings at draft time. The only reference on here I remember was he's Dal's cousin but quite sure that wasn't enough reason to push him in front of Billings. Pity, we could of had Jack Riewoldt & James Frawley with that reasoning but I understand how badly we were bitten with Nicholas Winmar.

chico2001
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 10:42am
chico2001 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 5:32pm
saynta wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:52pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 25 Nov 2018 4:50pm
Like to have played on you for just 5 minutes saynta...........
You would have ended up on your fat backside.
I would have fixed those bulging discs for you....no problem at all........with a good knee in the back
In my experience, guys claiming to be tough, are usually wimps when the chips are down.
Didnt claim I was tough, just highlighting that I was a decent high mark back in the day and often used an opponents back to get a ride. Lucky there was no sexual reference on urban dictionary to that insult you used .... :evil: