Tears of joy for Matthew Parker after St Kilda offer a draft lifeline

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintadamski
Club Player

Re: Tears of joy for Matthew Parker after St Kilda offer a draft lifeline

takeaway wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 10:50am
saintadamski wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 8:56am
takeaway wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 4:09pm
saintadamski wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 3:55pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 1:50pm
saintadamski wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 12:53pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Dec 2018 12:33pm Newnes has proven to be a very durable footballer over his career. He is a bloke that can play a full 22 games of footy a year as proven by his career. You just don't delist blokes like that overnight. Part of the battle of list management is having guys on your list that can play all year. Newnes fits that bill. If he gets pushed out by better players then so be it, but he would still be a very reliable depth player if this happens too.
Haha gold

Let's keep a guy because he never gets injured, no matter how poor they play.

Of course when you never tackle, mark, or do much of anything else, the percentage chance of getting injured are pretty low.

If it were up to people like you, we'd be serving up the same garbage all over again in 2019.... thankfully, it's not up to you
Hope the new guys make it in the higher grade, but we have no idea as yet until the real stuff starts. Newnes, as well as a lot of others, had a poor 2018, but the previous 2 years, when Saints were just out of the 8, he finished well up in the B & F both years.
So anyone who has the new mature recruits ahead of Newnes when training for next year has just started, is not showing much football judgement.
Ok so "good football judgement" is playing Newnes every week no matter how poor he is.

...and "good football judgement" is keeping players with obvious X factor, pace and potential out of the side...behind Newnes

...and 'good football judgement' is playing the same guys that haven't been able to make the 8 in years (but because they finished in the B&F in a bottom side)

If that's "good football judgment", I'd prefer to have VERY VERY POOR football judgement lol...please, KEEP your good football judgement - it's working wonders for you
Obvious X factor? Who? - seeing we haven't seen them at the highest level? Newnes didn't finish high in the B & F in a bottom side- % outside the 8 in 2016 and one game out in 2017.
I would prefer to see the new boys operate for a few real games, before making any judgements - not banking on a few highlight videos. I'm glad your preference is to have very very poor football judgement, because you seem to have nailed it.
Again, I hope the new boys do very well, earn their spot, and make the side.
Who? you might want to watch a few more of their games than just highlight reels mate - obviously our recruiters have...

I could talk about how poor a player Newnes is with ease, but this discussion isn't about that - it's about going in a new direction that is desperately, and obviously needed.

Thankfully we are finally moving into a logical direction of players with X factor and pace...while guardians of the last 7 years of utter failure - like yourself, are protective of the arbiters who manifested that failure.

You seem to have some romantic embrace of the status quo, and are mistrusting of change.....good....you keep doing whatever makes you feel warm and happy inside....while the new decision makers understand that players like Newnes are NOT the future.
Ha Ha. You are the one who first raised Newnes, you are replacing him with as you say, "the next dusty", because of the way he moves, his pace, his x factor, as clearly demonstrated in his career at the highest level so far - 0 games, not even a practice game. Outstanding judgment and foresight, you should be in the recruiting game, ........though perhaps not. Make no mistake, I would be overjoyed if Parker turns out to be anywhere near Dusty, or a least a very good player, and establishes a spot. But as with the whole list, including recruits, there is a preseason to come, practice games, and then the real thing, and 22 spots up for grabs - they all have to show their worth, especially the new guys, who haven't experienced pressure in the big time. I am sure the club would be looking at it this way as well, not some wild guess before the boots have even been laced on.

I am certainly not averse to change, have supported the coaching changes and the late draft emphasis on mature players (see previous posts re lack of senior experience), but you need to give them some experience and prove themselves. The club does not have your notnostradamus touch.
Ha - completely taking my quote out of context and only mentioning a third of the sentence - well played! You'd make a fine journo

My exact quote that you have utterly misrepresented: "I believe that this guy could be the next dusty. "
"I believe..." that is a belief evolved from evidence of their playing ability
"could be..." that is...not a sure thing...but a possibility

and as far as replacing Newnes...although I never said that he should directly 'replace' him, I hold no confidence whatsoever that Newnes will bring anything that will take this team to the next level of success.

You are correct in one aspect - that they have never played an AFL game... Thank you captain obvious!

All you can do is make an educated guess/judgment based on the information presented to you - as any recruiter does

As for Newnes...plenty of evidence there at AFL level to suggest the exact opposite of success - but the mere fact that he has played in the AFL seems to seduce you, no matter how poor he plays, week in, week out.

Choppa
Club Player

Newnes did OK up forward this year

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

On reflection I have been far too critical of Jack Newnes and I am quite annoyed with myself for going that way. Thank goodness he doesn't care what I think. I remember in his very early days him having his jaw broken jaw facing up to that mad Port ruckman Dean Brogan then a serious concussion against Sydney, both incidents show a lot of courage. I can remember him kicking excellent goals when needed and taking good marks. Perhaps he just had a down year last year; plenty did and possibly he was played out of position. As Choppa notes he looked good up forward last year. He is most times a very good kick and always features in the place getters in time trials. I hope he comes up really good in 2019 but if not his replacement will be a good player for us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintadamski wrote: Tue 04 Dec 2018 8:56am
Thankfully we are finally moving into a logical direction of players with X factor and pace...while guardians of the last 7 years of utter failure - like yourself, are protective of the arbiters who manifested that failure.

You seem to have some romantic embrace of the status quo, and are mistrusting of change.....good....you keep doing whatever makes you feel warm and happy inside....while the new decision makers understand that players like Newnes are NOT the future.
I'm with Yorkeys on his comments regarding Newnes...ie. Torn...but I loved what you said there in those last 2 paragraphs. Thought it was worth reposting

You're on notice Yorkeys. If you don't keep coming out with good quoting material I may have to repalce you in my signature...LOL