Linton St | Money in the bank - Positive Wed Vid

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Linton St | Money in the bank - Positive Wed Vid

ListManager wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 8:37pm
degruch wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 2:02pm Got news for ya...some of us glass half full types think you should go elsewhere too. What can I say, no-one loves a troll.
You should receive a one week ban for calling someone a troll. Mods?
Correction...calling out a troll.

Too bad I'm so squeaky clean, isn't it?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 9:33pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 1:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 9:36pm Any organisation I’ve ever worked in... the people that can’t take criticism have by far always been the most destructive influences.

The employee that is desperate to be better, that tells you if you ever have any input in how they can be better to tell them... that hears, considers and takes on feedback is a joy to deal with. Even if they’re inexperienced and not as good as more seasoned stuff... more often than not they close the gap and even surpass others in no time.

But that person... you know the one that is always right... they won’t listen and even if they’re doing things in a highly ineffective way... the mere mention of a better approach sends them into a defensive rage is the pain in the ass employee of any organisation.
Experience has taught me that more often such people have major inferiority complexes. They’re desperate to be the best employee... a special once in a generation worker and the idea that they’re not perfect like everyone else just fills them with anger.

For me, the most concerning thing that came out of 2018 for the club was actually something that Tony posted a few times...
I want to say that 5-6 times this year we got the: the boys have trained really hard, worked on the goal kicking and are really confident about this week.

Don’t think it once worked out that way.

The problem isn’t that we didn’t win but rather that on some level, not sure which, we didn’t seem to acknowledge that something wasn’t working and that we needed to find a way to do it better. Whether that’s work on fitness, practice, follow instruction... whatever.

It seemed as though we were just waiting for it all to click together.

That’s my concern for 2019. There are a number of players on the list that haven’t played consistently to potential over a long period... our thoughts seem to be that they might next season.
In 2019, will Billy Longer suddenly become a mongrel ruck that takes contested marks, hits big tackles and is running all over the ground. It seems unlikely
A fairly wide casting aspersion there Skeptic, so who couldn't take criticism and how did it manifest itself, or what specific issue was it causing?
bump...
My apologies CM, I meant to get back to this and forgot by the end of my shift.

Sorry to not directly answer your question but it was more a general reflection on common traits that difficult people tend to share rather than a reference to a specific person or instance

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 2:02pm Got news for ya...some of us glass half full types think you should go elsewhere too. What can I say, no-one loves a troll.
Troll.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)

it's a Ted free zone in here
by the looks of things

thats good , isnt it.

how bad are those Sainters

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I started the thread Mr Rapper Rhyme Poem Man.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

old news

now its about yooze

asiu
Saintsational Legend

thoughts on Social Quotient ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Sceptic would rate High , imo

yours ?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 11:44pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 9:33pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 16 Dec 2018 1:35pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 9:36pm Any organisation I’ve ever worked in... the people that can’t take criticism have by far always been the most destructive influences.

The employee that is desperate to be better, that tells you if you ever have any input in how they can be better to tell them... that hears, considers and takes on feedback is a joy to deal with. Even if they’re inexperienced and not as good as more seasoned stuff... more often than not they close the gap and even surpass others in no time.

But that person... you know the one that is always right... they won’t listen and even if they’re doing things in a highly ineffective way... the mere mention of a better approach sends them into a defensive rage is the pain in the ass employee of any organisation.
Experience has taught me that more often such people have major inferiority complexes. They’re desperate to be the best employee... a special once in a generation worker and the idea that they’re not perfect like everyone else just fills them with anger.

For me, the most concerning thing that came out of 2018 for the club was actually something that Tony posted a few times...
I want to say that 5-6 times this year we got the: the boys have trained really hard, worked on the goal kicking and are really confident about this week.

Don’t think it once worked out that way.

The problem isn’t that we didn’t win but rather that on some level, not sure which, we didn’t seem to acknowledge that something wasn’t working and that we needed to find a way to do it better. Whether that’s work on fitness, practice, follow instruction... whatever.

It seemed as though we were just waiting for it all to click together.

That’s my concern for 2019. There are a number of players on the list that haven’t played consistently to potential over a long period... our thoughts seem to be that they might next season.
In 2019, will Billy Longer suddenly become a mongrel ruck that takes contested marks, hits big tackles and is running all over the ground. It seems unlikely
A fairly wide casting aspersion there Skeptic, so who couldn't take criticism and how did it manifest itself, or what specific issue was it causing?
bump...
My apologies CM, I meant to get back to this and forgot by the end of my shift.

Sorry to not directly answer your question but it was more a general reflection on common traits that difficult people tend to share rather than a reference to a specific person or instance
ok so is it a widely cast aspersion on all of the people at the club as a general reflection?

I'm just trying to get sense of how you come to develop this general reflection that seems to indicate you know that 'receiving criticism' or feedback was a cultural problem at the club?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The reflection on criticism was really more a topic of this thread rather than one I intended to direct at the club...

Didn’t mean to suggest that I know anything about what’s going on at the club... I have no inside sources
It’s more that something didn’t appear to be working at the club at points in 2018 and the inside word was that we were confident we were addressing it when we weren’t.

My sense is that we’ve been a bit slow in recognising the extent of some of the problems that appeared in 2018 and as such addressing:reacting to them

minneapolis
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 17 Dec 2018 9:30pm The reflection on criticism was really more a topic of this thread rather than one I intended to direct at the club...

Didn’t mean to suggest that I know anything about what’s going on at the club... I have no inside sources
It’s more that something didn’t appear to be working at the club at points in 2018 and the inside word was that we were confident we were addressing it when we weren’t.

My sense is that we’ve been a bit slow in recognising the extent of some of the problems that appeared in 2018 and as such addressing:reacting to them
And from afar (way afar) I would agree with this impression.

And I think the knee-jerk feedback to Richo is also wrong. We were going along the same way for 8 weeks and just saying "Keep doing the same thing it will turn" was not correct. If I was a coach, I would have tried some new approaches and some new ideas. That is his job.

I thought we started to get some enthusiasm when the list of injuries was so long that some new younger guys had to get a go. I think we could have done that sooner.

I mean, really, after 6 or more games that he did not deserve, Weller was let go? That is insane

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Tue 18 Dec 2018 6:49am
skeptic wrote: Mon 17 Dec 2018 9:30pm The reflection on criticism was really more a topic of this thread rather than one I intended to direct at the club...

And from afar (way afar) I would agree with this impression.

And I think the knee-jerk feedback to Richo is also wrong. We were going along the same way for 8 weeks and just saying "Keep doing the same thing it will turn" was not correct. If I was a coach, I would have tried some new approaches and some new ideas. That is his job.

I thought we started to get some enthusiasm when the list of injuries was so long that some new younger guys had to get a go. I think we could have done that sooner.

I mean, really, after 6 or more games that he did not deserve, Weller was let go? That is insane

Reminds me of Robert Eddy in 2010... picked to play in the GF then delisted

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

All I want from this off season is for it to be really tough and the players wishing it was like previous years.

That means they would be worked hard which is what’s required.

Of course none of them will say any of this

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 12 Dec 2018 8:50am http://m.saints.com.au/video/2018-12-10 ... n-the-bank

Good to see the boys helping out on the farm. That sort of stuff is good for young players to come to grips with and to expierence the real world.
Yep, shooting a promo video at a farm and signing autographs is experiencing the real world :lol:

What you don't understand Ted is elite athletes never experience the real world until their chosen sport is done with them, then unfortunately it can be too late for some.

The likes of Max King scoring his 96+ means he has the intelligence to study and forge a career outside of football whilst he is playing, unfortunately this is all too rare.

Elite athletes are treated differently from a very young age by their peers, by the school, at sporting competitions, by coaches, by support staff, by sponsors and often by their parents if they are "tennis parents" or lack the experience of dealing with an elite sports child or are too pig headed to listen to advice that distinguishes parent from coach.

Fact is an elite athlete child will rarely experience the normal world.
You have private schools and managers pitching at them pumping them up, younger kids getting pics with them, sponsors giving them apparel and if male girls chasing them, sending pics etc, all from 12 years of age. All they know is they are fetted and admired due to their sporting talent at an age where they do not have the mental maturity to understand anything different.

Now our mature recruits drafted this season are a whole different category, it will be interesting to see their hunger and dedication to get a game.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I agree with some points Joffa B, but my point is the more expierence these kids and players get outside the bubble of AFL footy the better. Things like this are great club initiatives to get their heads out of that bubble even further.

I think the majority of AFL players do alright post career as they are quite dedicated and hard working people which is instilled in their bones and DNA already.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 18 Dec 2018 11:19am I agree with some points Joffa B, but my point is the more expierence these kids and players get outside the bubble of AFL footy the better. Things like this are great club initiatives to get their heads out of that bubble even further.

I think the majority of AFL players do alright post career as they are quite dedicated and hard working people which is instilled in their bones and DNA already.
My point Ted is these real life experiences that players/athletes undertake don't have a cameraman following them around, autograph hunters at the ready and the experience posted on social media. That is not the real world in my opinion.

I actually employ a few GWS male and female rookies in my NSW processing site from time to time, now these boys and girls get a dose of real life reality working in a factory.

To be fair my experience and writing above post is not AFL specific, more from a young athlete and the lifestyle afforded to elite kids from a young age, it is mind boggling.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ListManager
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote: Mon 17 Dec 2018 1:30am
Troll.
idiot

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
Premium89
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 18 Dec 2018 12:08pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 18 Dec 2018 11:19am I agree with some points Joffa B, but my point is the more expierence these kids and players get outside the bubble of AFL footy the better. Things like this are great club initiatives to get their heads out of that bubble even further.

My point Ted is these real life experiences that players/athletes undertake don't have a cameraman following them around, autograph hunters at the ready and the experience posted on social media. That is not the real world in my opinion.

I actually employ a few GWS male and female rookies in my NSW processing site from time to time, now these boys and girls get a dose of real life reality working in a factory.

To be fair my experience and writing above post is not AFL specific, more from a young athlete and the lifestyle afforded to elite kids from a young age, it is mind boggling.
Absolutely - but I think there’s quite a few special things that quite a few players do, that they do without fanfare. When you see the nominees for the Jim Stynes award each year it's pretty heartening to see what some of them are doing.