Gears to stay skipper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Gears to stay skipper

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:00pm Geary is very, very good at certain things.

Geary is bad at other things.

Opposition coaches coax us (and him) into situations where he is forced to don the things he is bad at.

Our coaches do nothing to prevent this from occurring.

It's like they sit there, and go "oh dude, Geary is having a blinder! He's had 17 kicks!! Wow."

Then turn around and say "WTF? We've had 17 more turnovers in the back half this week! Hmmm. We mustn't be being strong enough or something. Maybe we need more pressure?"
Folks are gonna go all Yumi Stynes on you, and call u lots of bad things.
But you've told it like it is.

I hate how Geary is held up as THE standard, when blind Freddie can see his disasters.
His heart cannot be questioned, but if he were a plumber, he'd be forgetting to turn off the mains water tap.

Until the club can acknowledge that his constant mistakes negate all the good things he does, we ain't gonna climb out of the bottom 4.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
To the top
SS Life Member

1. Geary does not man up, going to contests and competing overhead against size in both instances leaving players free to damage us including by running into open goals

2. From behinds against Geary is left free in a pocket, demanding the ball because he is Captain and otherwise not manned up by opposition for the reason that he is a liability in regards run and carry and especially with ineffective disposal which leads to turn overs

3 Geary does not and does not have the skill set to “lead from the front” impacting on the performance of the side and the result of any match These are the reasons the recent loss of Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt and Montagna has been so negative to team performance - there is a leadership void emphasised by the appointment of Geary for precisely the wrong reasons (and he will never be a mid-fielder)

Such appointments along with placing reliance on Longer and some others is holding this Club back

I do not know about Richardson as a Coach but from such decisions as these confidence in the Club’s prospects is fraught

In terms of player’s voting, there is the likelihood that any vote supports what is perceived to be the view of the Coach so the expectation is the result

It is time for St Kilda to address the future absent the bevy of class footballers who have represented the Club over the recent past, identify the next group and appoint a young Captain from that group

Then issue the challenge

This is your future, lead your mates to that future

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Richardson and Geary, it's not quite Baldock and Jeans.....

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:32pm 1. Geary does not man up, going to contests and competing overhead against size in both instances leaving players free to damage us including by running into open goals

2. From behinds against Geary is left free in a pocket, demanding the ball because he is Captain and otherwise not manned up by opposition for the reason that he is a liability in regards run and carry and especially with ineffective disposal which leads to turn overs

3 Geary does not and does not have the skill set to “lead from the front” impacting on the performance of the side and the result of any match These are the reasons the recent loss of Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt and Montagna has been so negative to team performance - there is a leadership void emphasised by the appointment of Geary for precisely the wrong reasons (and he will never be a mid-fielder)

Such appointments along with placing reliance on Longer and some others is holding this Club back

I do not know about Richardson as a Coach but from such decisions as these confidence in the Club’s prospects is fraught

In terms of player’s voting, there is the likelihood that any vote supports what is perceived to be the view of the Coach so the expectation is the result

It is time for St Kilda to address the future absent the bevy of class footballers who have represented the Club over the recent past, identify the next group and appoint a young Captain from that group

Then issue the challenge

📯📯📯📯📯

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what the bugles mean, is stoney being sarcastic, or is he announcing the post as probably the BEST post of the last 2 years?
Because, to me, it says it all, the post is honest and insightful, and Geary is one reason why we'll be rubbish until the club can admit it.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
To the top
SS Life Member

The reason people stop contributing to this Forum is because of Faunicated Morons “responding” as they do

We once again have evidence confirming that the louder the voice the less the brains

This Forum really needs to be reviewed to purpose

To those who contribute information and reasoned views, supported by facts and seeking discussion including alternate views and why keep it going because if this Forum has any relevance it is due to your efforts

Unfortunately that excludes some who make this Forum far less than it could be

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

In addition, I think all clubs identify which oppo players aren't damaging so they let those guys get the ball, and they focus on manning up potential receivers.
It's more efficient and saves energy.
Nathan Buckley on why he doesn't tag ball magnet Tom Mitchell: 'he doesn't hurt you...'
Mitchell got a Brownlow...voted by umpires who haven't played senior AFL (apart from our Leigh Fisher and Jordan Bannister).
Buckley was a highly skilled player, a very astute coach, and I believe his judgement, rather than some skinny vegans who are accountants and schoolteachers during the week, have no real clue, and who don't usually have any vested interest in a team's win/loss.

So Gears is allowed to get the ball because he's like a plus+one for the oppo.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Personally I would like to see 2 co-captains (Geary + Hannebery whom clearly rings leadership qualities ) and 3 vice captains who are the leading candidates as our next co-captains (Steele, Ross, + another)

I’m curious to know what people think if Billings were promoted to a leadership group position- might this finally turn him from a “boy to a man” ? (speaking about onfield)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
stonecold
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 10:29pm In addition, I think all clubs identify which oppo players aren't damaging so they let those guys get the ball, and they focus on manning up potential receivers.
It's more efficient and saves energy.
Nathan Buckley on why he doesn't tag ball magnet Tom Mitchell: 'he doesn't hurt you...'
Mitchell got a Brownlow...voted by umpires who haven't played senior AFL (apart from our Leigh Fisher and Jordan Bannister).
Buckley was a highly skilled player, a very astute coach, and I believe his judgement, rather than some skinny vegans who are accountants and schoolteachers during the week, have no real clue, and who don't usually have any vested interest in a team's win/loss.

So Gears is allowed to get the ball because he's like a plus+one for the oppo.
Buckley's judgement????? Yeah it's great, always has been, never in doubt really, that's why he left Brisbane and 3 flags for other's, haha, give me a break!!!!!

Strong argument, not!!!!! ;)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:44pm Cho & Geary.

I can’t think of a worse coach & captain combination in our entire history. Maybe the history of the competition.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Zed wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 10:52pm Personally I would like to see 2 co-captains (Geary + Hannebery whom clearly rings leadership qualities ) and 3 vice captains who are the leading candidates as our next co-captains (Steele, Ross, + another)

I’m curious to know what people think if Billings were promoted to a leadership group position- might this finally turn him from a “boy to a man” ? (speaking about onfield)
Are we the Aussie Cricket Team Now????? ;)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:32pm
In terms of player’s voting, there is the likelihood that any vote supports what is perceived to be the view of the Coach so the expectation is the result [ Good point ]

Then issue the challenge

I agree with this above...which was the second part of your post. The main issue that I think some fans have is that we should be looking to give the next generation more game time and Gears in all likelihood won't be there when we are good enough to be contenders again

Just as Nick Maxwell was a good leader and deserved his opportunity as captain so too I believe that Gears earnt the captaincy and has done an ok job. It's not his fualt that the club is going through a transition period and we lack star players or a highly motivated and well coached team

I don't agree with some of your opinions regarding Gears as a player. I understand supporters frustrations with him being appointed as captain as he is probably not one of the first dozen or so players that you'd select if you were to build a fresh Saints team from scratch, but I believe most weeks he had earnt his spot.

What is 100% clear in my mind is that this admin and this coaching regime has stuffed up our rebuild and the last five years has been an opportunity lost

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 11:42pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:44pm Cho & Geary.

I can’t think of a worse coach & captain combination in our entire history. Maybe the history of the competition.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Second that. What a combo.
Channelling Shane Warne: can't coach, can't kick.
Ratten , Hannebery at least an improvement

Nee!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Well, this has been an informing one. Living in Japan I see almost no football, and I have learnt bits and pieces about players and the side thanks to you lot in the past 6 months or so. I really made an effort during the GT and RL era but alas..still a saint tho..

The tiny bit I have seen of Geary I have seen reminds me a bit of latter day Nathan Burke and wasn’t Nathan Burke put into a back pocket for a while under Tim Watson? Pls turn down the blow torch for comparing. Burket is obviously anointed as a God for good reason and Geary is more journeyman. Anyway, Burke burrowed in like a mongrel Weazel turned ninja but I never got the impression his disposal by foot was that brilliant. It makes me think that perhaps the Saints brains trust could leave rage the tendency of teams to allow Geary space somehow. They have turn it to an advantage as it is after all, obvious and a given - they are showing us their cards to some extent.

Alternatively, what about this mid field stopper role? Do you expect tagging through mid field to be continuing to come back into play style in 2019?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 01 Feb 2019 10:31am wasn’t Nathan Burke put into a back pocket for a while

Burkey more started as back pocket and became a mid....or rather rover.

Geary's great strength is ability to spoil and defend. Problem is in today's fast moving football is that your defenders are vital in starting offensive moves and the more "stoppers" you have the more restricted your ability to attack becomes.

We have two "stoppers" in Brown and Geary and it limits us.

Now if we are playing a team with one really good small forward it can be worth playing a "stopper", but if like the Tigers the are operating a fleet of them then it is not that beneficial. Mid you the Tigers are help as opposition players often seem to be panicked by the presence of Dusty which then allows their smalls great freedom. Dusty had, for his lofty standards, a bad game (was probably playing injury restricted too) against the Pies in the PF and it was no coincidence that the Tiger forward line was also down on the day.

It is one reason I am excited that Robbo is back playing this year. I also quite like the move this year to try Battle out down back.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 01 Feb 2019 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:13pm
rodgerfox wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 3:00pm Geary is very, very good at certain things.

Geary is bad at other things.
Any examples of the way opposition teams engineer situations to expose Geary? And does he go on the bench much?
They isolate him.

And we fall for it and give him the nut and he becomes our 'running back'.

That's exactly what they want - and exactly what we shouldn't want.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

IMO, people on here are being quite tough on Gears. He's a pretty good player overall and has a place in the side. Yes, he can make the odd mistake and dispose of the ball by foot poorly but I still want him in that side. The players respect him and listen when he speaks. He is a genuie leader and our best atm. Position wise, I'd much prefer he play lock down roles on mids, just like when he blanketed Isaac Smith late last year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 01 Feb 2019 2:48pm The players respect him and listen when he speaks.
I wish they did, he seems to be eternally frustrated, pointing at unfilled leading space in the opposition's F50 after the fact. IMO, he has some presence, but needs help. At the very least we should have a co-captain if we retain Gears, or a strong VC...for which Hannes is the man for the job IMO, new kid on the block or not. It's one of the reasons we picked him up, why not use him.

Alternatively, bring in a young leader who will grow with the team's success...Ross and Steele have been mentioned on here already.

Crossy66
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:32pm 1. Geary does not man up, going to contests and competing overhead against size in both instances leaving players free to damage us including by running into open goals

Then issue the challenge

cant agree with most of this, . The only area Geary struggles with is disposal by foot under pressure.
He is a great leader and does the blue collar stuff, which is why his team mates respect him. The team lost four outstanding leaders, so four others need to stand up. Good teams have more than one leader - thats what we are missing. Whoever followed Reiwoldt as captain would be on a hiding to nothing - He will be rated one of our best ever.
To suggest the players vote according to what they think the coach wants would be selling them short i think

stonecold
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 10:26pm The reason people stop contributing to this Forum is because of Faunicated Morons “responding” as they do

We once again have evidence confirming that the louder the voice the less the brains

This Forum really needs to be reviewed to purpose

To those who contribute information and reasoned views, supported by facts and seeking discussion including alternate views and why keep it going because if this Forum has any relevance it is due to your efforts

Unfortunately that excludes some who make this Forum far less than it could be
Stop posting then, like you said you would 📯📯📯📯📯

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Then issue the challenge

So what can he do? or rather what is he good at in terms of football skills?

I remember watching some 2009 replays which I think was his breakout year, if you can call it that, he played the first 10 games of that season and I seem to remember him exciting us all. Anyway from watching the replays he looked a different player, had a bit of run and carry about him, even some zig and zag through traffic which some of also resulted in him scoring some pretty good goals. Can't remember if RL had him as a mid or forward amongst those 10 games but definitely wasn't a defender in the replays I was watching.

So what are his football strengths outside of leadership? And how would you use him to exploit those strengths?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 1:58pm
To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:32pm 1. Geary does not man up, going to contests... leaving players free to damage us..

2. From behinds...left free in a pocket...a liability in regards run and carry

3 ..not... have the skill set to “lead from the front” impacting on the performance of the side (...will never be a mid-fielder

In terms of player’s voting, .....
perceived to be the view of the coach

I remember watching some 2009 replays which I think was his breakout year, if you can call it that, he played the first 10 games of that season and I seem to remember him exciting us all. Anyway from watching the replays he looked a different player, had a bit of run and carry about him, even some zig and zag through traffic which some of also resulted in him scoring some pretty good goals. Can't remember if RL had him as a mid or forward amongst those 10 games but definitely wasn't a defender in the replays I was watching.

So what are his football strengths outside of leadership? And how would you use him to exploit those strengths?
Very interesting stuff. RL dropped him then? I remember Steven Baker in an interview telling how he was a versatile footballer but had his portfolio cut down to a very slim remit and told in no uncertain terms that he had to stick to it to even have a chance of continuing at AFL beyond the youthful first years.

BYw I don’t think appointing Hanners as VC or CoC would help. Gears would then be on a hiding to nothing. A dark legacy of shame in his back, courtesy of our shocking run, and a younger buck champion coming in under him. A tough role. I haven’t seen much, as I’ve said, but if they are going with Gears, then let’s do it. Doubters can hope for an injury!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 2:46pm
To the top wrote: Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:32pm 1. Geary does not man up, going to contests... leaving players free to damage us..

2. From behinds...left free in a pocket...a liability in regards run and carry

3 ..not... have the skill set to “lead from the front” impacting on the performance of the side (...will never be a mid-fielder

In terms of player’s voting, .....
perceived to be the view of the coach

Very interesting stuff. RL dropped him then? I remember Steven Baker in an interview telling how he was a versatile footballer but had his portfolio cut down to a very slim remit and told in no uncertain terms that he had to stick to it to even have a chance of continuing at AFL beyond the youthful first years.

BYw I don’t think appointing Hanners as VC or CoC would help. Gears would then be on a hiding to nothing. A dark legacy of shame in his back, courtesy of our shocking run, and a younger buck champion coming in under him. A tough role. I haven’t seen much, as I’ve said, but if they are going with Gears, then let’s do it. Doubters can hope for an injury!
It's the details within the slim remit that intrigue me, anyone have any insight?

Crossy66
Club Player

Then issue the challenge

I can recall him early days as well Cairnsman , he looked a likely mid. I am pretty sure he got votes in his first game but not certain.
As for his skills, i think he is a great runner, tackling machine, head over ball, can take a grab, seems good by hand. The only issue for me is hitting up a target when under pressure or when the kick has to be spot on and thats usually the case coming out of the backline with the second kick.
With his run and stopping skills, i reckon he could be a great tagger, particularly if they decide to let Steel loose

I would like to see how he goes when surrounded by good players as he was from 2008 - 11. I hope that happens this year!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 02 Feb 2019 4:10pm
As for his skills, i think he is a great runner, tackling machine, head over ball, can take a grab, seems good by hand.

Tackling machine? Career average is 2.6 per game

Why, or how, is Geary a tackling machine?

Savage for example who is not known for his tackling averages 2.4.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 02 Feb 2019 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....