Axed saint a round one bolter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Axed saint a round one bolter

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:13pm Richo killed Mavs career at the Saints by asking him to play the defensive forward role, he lost his attacking game.
When Mav Weller was good, and he was, he just completely dropped off in the last 2 years. He played the defensive forward role.

mordiboyz
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 11:35am
He was a leader and was admired by the coaches (he kept getting games) and was deemed to be an important cog.
Not sure what you're implying about his delisting
Sorry, I'm not implying anything about his delisting as I don't have any extra information other than my thoughts.

I think the club needed to generate change, so some of the leaders had to go.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I cringed everytime I saw him selected in the side , in the end he was simply clogging the list...sad but true.
Glad to see him gone to make way for a better player......... harsh realities don't seem to bide well here.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It's kinda interesting to see what Richmond fans on Big Footy wrote about him. It follows a familiar arc. Surprise, Dissonance, Disgust, Defense, Whipping-boy, and now, as the shadows of the season proper creep in, and excitement builds, some positivity.

Most of all, they seemed to rate him barely above some of their discards. Most interesting view I could see was strong and talented but was played with dodgy ankles and thus severely impeded for the past season or too.

Does this sound right? That he was picked by us with dodgy ankles?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:27pm The thing is, I thought Mav’s 2016 was incredible. Was really happy he made it into the leadership group... and then 2017 happened.

He seemingly played injured and the coaching stuff continued to select him despite very questionable form at times.

Seemed to really do a number on his confidence.

Like Hickey who also had a fantastic 2016, he just couldn’t get back to that form
So do you think he's got his chance to win a flag becuase he got injured and lost his confidence and then the coach refused to listen to him about his injury and forced him to play injured. Or are you claiming Mav wasnt professional enough to be accountable and advise the coach he was too injured to play. Just trying to understand who is to blame in the obsession that is the blame game.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 11:35am
mordiboyz wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 10:40am
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 10:05am It will be a great example of what a better coach and team can do. It also builds belief in our recruitment team if he shines. IE we picked good players they just werent developed well
He has played over 100 games and had one decent season in his career.

A big poster on Instagram who likes to pump his tyres up.

There were other players playing worse than him who survived.

Was delisted from St Kilda for something other than his form.
He was a leader and was admired by the coaches (he kept getting games) and was deemed to be an important cog.
Not sure what you're implying about his delisting
I agree with all of you having very wise and insightful posts !
And I would also like to bring in impatient Sainters point of view and tie it all together
I do believe that mav's roles changed last year and this may have contributed to his inaccuracies
I do believe that he séemed to be protected under AR and should have been dropped several times during the year but wasn't
The point that several other players who performed more poorly that survived at the club but yet Mav has been moved on doesn't really indicate much to me except maybe that when you have lots of new Chiefs pulling in different directions you get just as many opinions -: and of course not all past and present decisions can be correct

Seeya
To the top
SS Life Member

I have never understood the “defensive forward” label because in my view every forward should BE defended including because of their ability to impact the scoreboard (where games are won).

If the opposition have the ball ALL players including as a group should be defending by applying pressure which will see the ball won back

To select a “defensive forward” is to play a player short - and we already have that problem in our structure

Ditto our defensive selections who equally should not be selected solely because they can negate - you also need to generate

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Mav simply wasn't good enough. If the tiges can turn him into a valuable contributor, good luck to them. Where I sit they have about 6 players ahead of him who already play his type of role. The club were completely justified in getting rid of him. How many chances do you give a guy??

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 4:51pm Mav simply wasn't good enough. If the tiges can turn him into a valuable contributor, good luck to them. Where I sit they have about 6 players ahead of him who already play his type of role. The club were completely justified in getting rid of him. How many chances do you give a guy??
Bolton, Higgins, Rioli, Buttler, Townsend and probably the new WA indigenous kid in front of him.

Good luck Mav, training star but under performer at AFL level over 8 or so years with two clubs.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 1:27pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:27pm The thing is, I thought Mav’s 2016 was incredible. Was really happy he made it into the leadership group... and then 2017 happened.

He seemingly played injured and the coaching stuff continued to select him despite very questionable form at times.

Like Hickey who also had a fantastic 2016, he just couldn’t get back to that form
So do you think he's got his chance to win a flag becuase he got injured and lost his confidence and then the coach refused to listen to him about his injury and forced him to play injured. Or are you claiming Mav wasnt professional enough to be accountable and advise the coach he was too injured to play. Just trying to understand who is to blame in the obsession that is the blame game.
I didn’t really say any of that and I’m somewhat miffed that you’ve interpreted my post as blaming.

I merely stated the events as I saw them unfold.
Loved Mav’s 2016... his 2017 was a stinker and many ppl including myself were miffed at his continued selection.
Towards the end of the season it emerged that he’d been playing through an ankle injury which made his continued selection even more baffling
2018 he failed to recapture his 2018 form

How would I know who is at fault? Most likely it’s a combination of all of the above but my point was that for a time I really rated Mav and am disappointed that he didn’t come on.

Take 2016 Mav and Hickey...
Insert them into the 2017 team, we make the finals

As for the blame obsession... well sometimes I’d say you’re somewhat obsessed in looking for it

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 8:18pm OMG to whom?
I notice you didn’t answer me... and I have to be direct now because inferring it got me banned.

It’s very easy to criticise other ppl’s options without giving one of your own and I note that you haven’t weighed in on whether you think Richo was right to delist him.

Right or wrong you should give an opinion and stand by it... especially if you’re going to be critical of others

asiu
Saintsational Legend

is that your first holiday mr skeptic ?

i can’t imagine u ever having had one before

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 11:29pm is that your first holiday mr skeptic ?

i can’t imagine u ever having had one before
It is. Wasn’t exactly the most intense conversation I’ve ever had here that’s for sure

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 10:09pm

I didn’t really say any of that and I’m somewhat miffed that you’ve interpreted my post as blaming.

Loved Mav’s 2016... his 2017 was a stinker and many ppl including myself were miffed at his continued selection.
Towards the end of the season it emerged that he’d been playing through an ankle injury which made his continued selection even more baffling

How would I know who is at fault? Most likely it’s a combination of all of the above but my point was that for a time I really rated Mav and am disappointed that he didn’t come on.

As for the blame obsession... well sometimes I’d say you’re somewhat obsessed in looking for it
Ok so maybe it's "observation" you are obsessed with.

Observe away.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 6:27am

Observe away.
I think we’re all a little obsessed here tbh.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If you were to take 2018 in isolation the Saints quite rightly could have turned over 20 players for not being of the standard required to be competitive. St Kilda wisely did not do that but had to make changes. Mav was one of our players that no one was interested in trading for, this says something about where he was rated.

Richmond due to salary cap pressures and players seeking more opportunity lost players of better quality but needed back up on their list, they identified Mav as that, low cost and fits the bill. To Mav's credit, his professionalism to training has put him in the frame to be selected. Good luck to him if he's the next Guerra but I think St Kilda made the right call, we could not afford to keep him on our list when we've so many young blokes needing opportunity and development.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 8:10am
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 6:27am

Observe away.
I think we’re all a little obsessed here tbh.
Am not

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Still think Mav should have been delisted. Not good enough for a finals side but would still be a handy depth player. Only thing is, you can't keep fellas on your list like that forever. Good luck Mav anyway.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 9:39am Still think Mav should have been delisted. Not good enough for a finals side but would still be a handy depth player. Only thing is, you can't keep fellas on your list like that forever. Good luck Mav anyway.
Agree parkeyTed, Mav has had ample opportunity to secure a permanent position at two bottom clubs over 8 or so seasons and failed to do so consistently at either.

The managements decision to recruit a fringe player with similar experience to Mav from Melbourne and a few mature state league players will be interesting to watch over the season.

Were we better with the devil we know fringe dweller or do we seek the budget panacea to our problems.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 9:01pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 16 Feb 2019 9:39am Still think Mav should have been delisted. Not good enough for a finals side but would still be a handy depth player. Only thing is, you can't keep fellas on your list like that forever. Good luck Mav anyway.
Agree parkeyTed, Mav has had ample opportunity to secure a permanent position at two bottom clubs over 8 or so seasons and failed to do so consistently at either.

The managements decision to recruit a fringe player with similar experience to Mav from Melbourne and a few mature state league players will be interesting to watch over the season.

Were we better with the devil we know fringe dweller or do we seek the budget panacea to our problems.
👎👎👎👎👎

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 10:09pm 2018 he failed to recapture his 2018 form
An underrated achievement...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
bigred
Saintsational Legend

On last years form he did not deserve half of his games. Even that is being generous.

If Richmond get anything out of him then full credit to them. He was giving us nothing.

Pretty long bow drawn for this entire thread considering all it says is "Former Saint Maverick Weller is also pushing his case for an early-season debut in his new colours as he continues to train well with Richmond’s forwards group."

That means absolutely bugger all.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 18 Feb 2019 11:52am On last years form he did not deserve half of his games. Even that is being generous.

If Richmond get anything out of him then full credit to them. He was giving us nothing.

Pretty long bow drawn for this entire thread considering all it says is "Former Saint Maverick Weller is also pushing his case for an early-season debut in his new colours as he continues to train well with Richmond’s forwards group."

The original newspaper headline was copied for this threads title.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Mon 18 Feb 2019 11:52am On last years form he did not deserve half of his games. Even that is being generous.

The article also mentioned Minch going well at Hawks and possibly being a best 22 selection.
Could be argued it referred to either player.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Days without a frivolous banning: 00
:D

are we still allowed to laugh ?

i am

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.