I didnt know....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: I didnt know....

Speaking of ancient, I sometimes read about the St Kildans. The original, real St Kildans. In 1851 or 1861 (can't remember) 36 of them were taken off the island, transferred to Liverpool and put on a ship for a better life in Port Phillip, yes, right here in Melbourne. But get this, not for a better life for them, but for a better life for the remaining St Kildans! They actually believed they were making it easier for their folk to continue to live at St Kilda Island, or Hilda, as they called it. Other emigrants at the station in Liverpool were taken by their ease and demeanor and unassuming and gentle they seemed to be. They soon caught the mainlanders flu and colds and 18 either died on board or at the quarantine station. Meanwhile life at St Kilda took a horrible downward spiral. In 1930 the last were taken off the island.

I can't help thinking about how sad and miserable the North West of Scotland seems. Misty, bleak, cold, void of trees, but the Outer Hebrides takes it to a new level. St Kilda id the pluto of Pluto's universe. Einstein would need a new formula.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

"the lost songs of StKilda" was recently repeated on sbs ( will be available on their website)
The remaining people on the desolate island pleaded with the UK govt to help them escape and relocate to greener pastures
as they were destitute, spirit broken, starving and had no hope for the future

Now theres a "lost culture" history lesson for us all...

Seeya
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 4:02pm
The remaining people on the desolate island pleaded with the UK govt to help them escape
I'm wary about that - but I will check more. Mainly because they seemed so pliable and amenable. They were frankly gullible to the well-meaning mainlanders. Some of the disasters, especially in the later part of the 19th century, like stupid and draconian rules introduced (and easily enforced) by the then minister on the island led to days of misery and a horrific rate of infant mortality. (Sealing off the wound from the babies umbilical chord with fat and butter that infected and killed the majority of babies at the very time their population was in peril).

I know it was no oasis, and perhaps it was inevitable and natural for them to be 'taken off' but you are right in a sense. The fate of the indigenous Australians of the 19th century (and beyond) and the moral/ethical dilemmas faced on all sides resonates with this.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ajantis
Club Player

Hi,

Is it coincidence i mention this on these forums and now its news ? Someone from media stalking these forums ?

Cheers

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ajantis wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 10:55am Hi,

Is it coincidence i mention this on these forums and now its news ? Someone from media stalking these forums ?

Cheers
Maybe, just maybe. Been done before.