Drug use Rife at the Saints in '06 - Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Drug use Rife at the Saints in '06 - Grant Thomas

I have always been a big GT fan, i think more than anything, he built leaders and created an attitude among the group that would serve them well beyond footy.
But sadly, as the years go by, he has leveraged his relationship with players, leveraged the priveledged position he once held at the club for his own advantage and to the others detriment
Anyone with an ounce of commonsense would know that this is the last headline the club needs ahead of what will be one of the most defining seasons in recent history. We're just fortunate it hasn't blown up any further.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can't go any further. AFLPA and AFL would quickly shut down any conversations about drugs talk and everyone knows the proportion of guys 17 to 35 that use recreational drugs. There have to be AFL players in the group. GT has just made a goose of himself. And he was shocked why? is it a mortal sin to his prudishness or he thought he knew everything about every player or he likes to virtue signal about his time as coach.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Can I just ask, what exactly is everyone so appalled about?

a) That GT is lying about players at our club?
b) That GT is telling the truth about players at our club?
c) That GT should be tactful about the truth, he knows that and he deliberately and childishly breached a 'code of conduct' , a tacit understanding among insiders?
d) ?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

All of the above and mostly d)

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 22 Feb 2019 8:42pm Can I just ask, what exactly is everyone so appalled about?

c) That GT should be tactful about the truth, he knows that and he deliberately and childishly breached a 'code of conduct' , a tacit understanding among insiders?
d) ?
GT is a hypocrite.

Got into bed with Butterss at the club when Butters was a
very well known coke fiend.

Only took the moral high ground on Butters habit when they fell out over money.

How do I know this?
Was a President Club member and sponsor during the Butters years and was exposed to a Butters incident in 2004. There is a poster on this site who can validate the membership and sponsorship referred above if he so chooses.

A number of sponsors knew and witnessed Butters as did senior staffers.

GT has thrown a cloud over every player who played in that era, what about those who did not partake in drugs?
How do their parents, partners, kids feel after these comments.

What was his purpose other than to get his name in the papers?

What good outcome can be derived from these comments?

What positive can this have on the club?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 22 Feb 2019 6:18pm I have always been a big GT fan, i think more than anything, he built leaders and created an attitude among the group that would serve them well beyond footy.
But sadly, as the years go by, he has leveraged his relationship with players, leveraged the priveledged position he once held at the club for his own advantage and to the others detriment
Anyone with an ounce of commonsense would know that this is the last headline the club needs ahead of what will be one of the most defining seasons in recent history. We're just fortunate it hasn't blown up any further.
Too true unfortunately. :cry:

Grant has diminished himself in my eyes.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 10:17am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 22 Feb 2019 8:42pm Can I just ask, what exactly is everyone so appalled about?

d) ?
GT is a hypocrite.

How do I know this?
Was a President Club member and sponsor during the Butters years and was exposed to a Butters incident in 2004. There is a poster on this site who can validate the membership and sponsorship referred above if he so chooses.

GT has thrown a cloud over every player who played in that era, what about those who did not partake in drugs?

Interesting Joffa. Nick Riewoldt must have been a fairly influential figure, mixing and dealing with sponsors and the president. He claims that the Butters revelations were a shock to him too. Any chance he is a hypocrite?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think everyone knew about Butterrs. Anyway Spider has called Thomas a liar.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Overheard 2 ex-players from this era discussing the situation this morning - they were full of venom regarding the allegation/inferences - Not Happy Jan!!!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Thomas clearly has mental issues. Its pretty obvious given his track record.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 1:32pm

d) ?
GT is a hypocrite.

How do I know this?

Interesting Joffa. Nick Riewoldt must have been a fairly influential figure, mixing and dealing with sponsors and the president. He claims that the Butters revelations were a shock to him too. Any chance he is a hypocrite?
Not sure I mentioned Nick anywhere in my post CQ, my post was referring to Grant Thomas. But let me help you if you Are accusing Nick of turning a blind eye to Butterss behavior.

When Grant and Rod got together socially circa 1998 and decided to get involved with the saints Nick would have been all of 15 or 16 I guess.

Nick wasn’t at Fidel’s after saints matches when Butters was drinking with sponsors and was witnessed doing coke in the bathroom.

Nicks involvement with sponsors was Meet and Greet from my experience.

So to answer your question, I’d reiterate Nick was a young man and not mixing socially with Butterss to the best of my knowledge.

Grant on the other hand I reiterate is a hypocrite.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 2:21pm Overheard 2 ex-players from this era discussing the situation this morning - they were full of venom regarding the allegation/inferences - Not Happy Jan!!!!!!
I spoke with a former player during the week.

His comment was the few who still had respect for Grant would now drop him like a hot scone.

Very much disliked by many of his former players.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 1:39pm I think everyone knew about Butterrs. Anyway Spider has called Thomas a liar.
I know three people all former sponsors, who witnessed Butterss doing drugs.

I was there on the night but didn’t see it myself however I had no doubt about their story due to Butterss behavior.

I do not have an eyewitness account like with Butterss, but a former saints official who ended up booted from another sport in disgrace and a TV announcer close mate of theirs was said to be living similar life styles to the pres.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Honestly speaking,

What % of AFL players who played, just for arguments sake, at least 8 games per season, do u think used recreational drugs at least, say (again for sake of the discussion) eight times in a calendar year, between the ages of 20-25 in GTs coaching era?

We do not know the facts of course, but just guessing, if you had to put the house on it?

I’m curious, seriously.

I would guess 50% - just pulling that number out of my ...., but an honest guess just the same.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 7:48pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 1:32pm

d) ?
GT is a hypocrite.

How do I know this?

Not sure I mentioned Nick anywhere in my post CQ, my post was referring to Grant Thomas. But let me help you if you Are accusing Nick of turning a blind eye to Butterss behavior.

When Grant and Rod got together socially circa 1998 and decided to get involved with the saints Nick would have been all of 15 or 16 I guess.

Nick wasn’t at Fidel’s after saints matches when Butters was drinking with sponsors and was witnessed doing coke in the bathroom.

Nicks involvement with sponsors was Meet and Greet from my experience.

So to answer your question, I’d reiterate Nick was a young man and not mixing socially with Butterss to the best of my knowledge.

Grant on the other hand I reiterate is a hypocrite.
Great stories. All anonymously published here now for eternity.

What has been documented and verified is Butters and Thomas were introduced to the board in 1999 by Plympton.
Grant went straight to work on rebuilding the club and Butterrs, a very rich and successful businessman was urged by Thomas to run for Presidency.
By 2001 Plympton was gone and Thomas and Butters were Director of Football and President.
Butterrs himself admits that this was the the period when his alcoholism began and he states he had never seen or taken cocaine before getting involved with St.Kilda and even still, by most accounts of the time, he was a very functional alcoholic. Hard to be believe? Maybe, but I will take him for his word as his confessions are damning enough for him to need to lie about that.
Butterrs and Thomas were mates, neighbours and drinking buddies and obviously working closely together. Butterrs states that he never saw Thomas take any drugs and that his drinking was a much bigger and consistent part of his problem and that cocaine was a secondary habit he would not partake in if sober. He stated that the social side of his professional football career was rife with alcohol, drugs and gambling and he got hopelessly caught up in it.
Earlier you alluded to 2004 as being the year you were exposed to a Butterrs incident. He been an alcoholic for 5 years by then and Grant Thomas had been effectively running the football department and club and Butterrs was along for the ride, impressing sponsors, living the 'high' life and backing Thomas from his position. Riewoldt won his 2nd Trevor Barker, was an All Australian, AFLPAMVP, Leigh Matthews award winner and the hottest commodity in the game.

I'm not sure that a seedy story about snorting coke in a toilet from a sponsor discredits Riewoldt or Thomas for that matter but we are all entitled to our opinions and believe our own truths.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 9:55pm

I'm not sure that a seedy story about snorting coke in a toilet from a sponsor discredits Riewoldt or Thomas for that matter but we are all entitled to our opinions and believe our own truths.
I think the administrator can decide whether the “ stories” remain here or not.

Again you bring Nick into the equation.
Why do you wish to tarnish one of our greats with the likes of Butterrs and Thomas?

Pretty poor form by you in my opinion.

I reiterate as it has clearly been lost in translation, Grant was a social friend of Rod from the late 90’s, I’m pretty sure teenage Nick Riewoldt was not.

Grant only drew the moral high ground on Butterss behavior when the fell out over money. Prior to that he either turned a blind eye or didn’t care.

In regard to the sleezy toilet incident, I have provided location and year. I’ll go one final step and state the 3 witnesses were long time club sponsors and all related.
The three are very reputable successful business men.
I was there and told on the night what had been witnessed by these three, I did not witness this myself.
Butterss was not alone in his actions.

This is my last post on this matter.

Believe, don’t believe, try and link Roo to Butterss & Thomas if you wish, I do not care.

The facts are the facts, enjoy👍

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 9:53am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 9:55pm

I think the administrator can decide whether the “ stories” remain here or not.

Again you bring Nick into the equation.
Why do you wish to tarnish one of our greats with the likes of Butterrs and Thomas?

Pretty poor form by you in my opinion.

I reiterate as it has clearly been lost in translation, Grant was a social friend of Rod from the late 90’s, I’m pretty sure teenage Nick Riewoldt was not.

Grant only drew the moral high ground on Butterss behavior when the fell out over money. Prior to that he either turned a blind eye or didn’t care.

In regard to the sleezy toilet incident, I have provided location and year. I’ll go one final step and state the 3 witnesses were long time club sponsors and all related.
The three are very reputable successful business men.
I was there and told on the night what had been witnessed by these three, I did not witness this myself.
Butterss was not alone in his actions.

This is my last post on this matter.

Believe, don’t believe, try and link Roo to Butterss & Thomas if you wish, I do not care.

The facts are the facts, enjoy👍
I dont doubt your story or your connection to the club. I just dont see any lines connecting it to Thomas' knowledge of Butterrs' dirty little secrets. Your assertions imply that it was well known and tolerated within the club.
Well Nick says he didnt know.
Butters says he hadnt seen or taken coke before his time as President at St.Kilda, which was after his friendship with Thomas began.
I'm note sure your assumptions fit.
We may never know what really went on, whether there was scandal and concern tabled about Butterrs behaviour or not.
All I know is that Thomas was a good coach and administrator for the club. Its on record. After 3 finals series in a row, he was sacked. The change of direction didnt work.
On one day, the entire Butterrs board walked out as a result.
Butterrs displayed some disturbing behaviour and made decisions in his role, under the influence of alcohol and drugs. Its on record but he remained long after your account.
There is definitely poor form at play here.
Your assumptions about hypocrisy remain unfounded. Poor form?
Grant Thomas recently said publicly that he was told in 2006 that a player told him drug drug use was rife amongst the player group. Poor form?
Somehow you related that story and the Thomas/Butterrrs saga? Poor form?
I agree, the facts are the facts!!👍

David-Lee
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 1:39pm I think everyone knew about Butterrs. Anyway Spider has called Thomas a liar.
Spider Everitt calling someone a liar who says drug use was "rife" at the club???? I would call Spider a liar to his face if he dares stand in front of me, and he knows why.

David-Lee
Club Player

Spider Everitt calling someone a liar who says drug use was "rife" at the club???? I would call Spider a liar to his face if he dares stand in front of me, and he knows why.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 1:38pm
Well Spider called Thomas a liar whilst talking to him on radio, so that will do for me. Good enough in other words. . Any problems you have with spider are between you and him but I would suggest calling him a liar to his face could create serious heath problems for you. :roll: :D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I thought the relationship soured when Butterss ditched his missus.
I thought the Thomas' were very close with Mrs Butterss, and felt that Rod chose the nightlife over his family.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 6:33pm

I thought the Thomas' were very close with Mrs Butterss, and felt that Rod chose the nightlife over his family.
my recollection as well - it was their personal relationship that broke down first
The financial disputes came later and after he had been sacked by Butterrs

Seeya
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 6:33pm

My recollection (could be wrong) is Butterss started showing up at Presidents’ Day functions with Ms McLean (later real house wives reality show) as early as mid 2004.

Not sure the GT/RB relationship broke down then or later.
I don’t recall the issues coming about until 2006.

I do remember reading that version you refer somewhere.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Kind of funny story. I remember talking to Butterss at Docklands after a Saints game one day (the year he came in) and I accidently spilt my beer over his leg and shoe when I shook his hand. I had one of those moments where this high flying intelligent super serious businessman thought I was probably just another half drunk member....if only I knew what he was really like back then! 😂

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.