Unofficial practice match thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

minneapolis
Club Player

Re: Unofficial practice match thread

Watched the whole game online. These are my opinions (with an O).

Positives:

- Pierce - won the ruck and was very mobile. I believe he will start Round 1.

- Newnes. I was very disappointed with his play last year but I think it was because he was injured. He is fit again and was a cut above the new guys. Certain starter I think.

- Roberton. Welcome back champ.

- Bruce. Boy did we miss him. Looked healthy.

- Savage. Played very well. Like his professionalism.

- Brown. True professional. One very poor kick. Combined well with Clavarino.

- Clavarino. Very promising.

- Hunter Clark. Phew. It was fantastic to see a high draft pick playing like a skilled footballer.

- Marshall and Battle. Very very good. Loved these draft pickups. Will be very important for us going forward. I would play them as much as is practical these next two years.

- Ed Phillips. We need a guy like this who is only going to improve. If you can run for a whole game then you have a chance to put yourself in an advantageous position.

- Darragh Joyce. Showed some good moves. Very happy for the guy. I think he is prone to make a howler or two but will eliminate those with time.

- Alabakis. Had athleticism and tried hard. Could not ask for more for this game.

- Running sprints after the game. I liked the concept that you never have an empty tank.

- Hammill. Sammy was very entertaining and natural. A high energy guy. A great part of any team. You can see why the club have kept him as long as we have. It must have been fantastic to get Hamill from a rich and powerful club. And Gehrig shunning both West Coast and Collingwood to come to us - what a gigantic boost to the team spirit. Sorta like a Cowboy Neale I reckon.

Negatives

- Austin. Was a bit lopey for my liking. Not convinced.

- McCartin. Just OK. Missed an easy set shot. If he was going to get going this year I would have liked to see more. Got a few easy ones at the end.

- Bailey Rice. A beautiful kick but nothing else. I doubt he will ever get another game.

- Goal kicking. Not good and certainly not improved with two summers practice. Very nervous about this. It is a game and a coach killer.

- Game plan. If you think you could see a new game plan being implemented (as Richo said in his boring interview) then you are either an elite football mind or kidding yourself. Early days yet though.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Gershwin
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 4:55am Watched the whole game online. These are my opinions (with an O).

Positives:

- Newnes. I was very disappointed with his play last year but I think it was because he was injured. He is fit again and was a cut above the new guys. Certain starter I think.

- Hunter Clark. Phew. It was fantastic to see a high draft pick playing like a skilled footballer.

- Marshall and Battle. Very very good. Loved these draft pickups. Will be very important for us going forward. I would play them as much as is practical these next two years.

- Ed Phillips. We need a guy like this who is only going to improve. If you can run for a whole game then you have a chance to put yourself in an advantageous position.

- Darragh Joyce. Showed some good moves. Very happy for the guy. I think he is prone to make a howler or two but will eliminate those with time.

- Alabakis. Had athleticism and tried hard. Could not ask for more for this game.

- Running sprints after the game. I liked the concept that you never have an empty tank.

- Hammill. Sammy was very entertaining and natural. A high energy guy. A great part of any team. You can see why the club have kept him as long as we have. It must have been fantastic to get Hamill from a rich and powerful club. And Gehrig shunning both West Coast and Collingwood to come to us - what a gigantic boost to the team spirit. Sorta like a Cowboy Neale I reckon.

Negatives

- McCartin. Just OK. Missed an easy set shot. If he was going to get going this year I would have liked to see more. Got a few easy ones at the end.

- Bailey Rice. A beautiful kick but nothing else. I doubt he will ever get another game.

- Goal kicking. Not good and certainly not improved with two summers practice. Very nervous about this. It is a game and a coach killer.

- Game plan. If you think you could see a new game plan being implemented (as Richo said in his boring interview) then you are either an elite football mind or kidding yourself. Early days yet though.
Agree with most of that minneapolis. Like you I watched it online.
Regarding the game plan - apparently our spreading was very smooth.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

The skills were not the best but the conditions were very windy on the ground this was mentioned by quite a few people.

I would not read much into the skills at this point.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It was hot and windy.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 1:50pm It was hot and windy.
As opposed to our play? Hit and Wondy?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

How was Coffield?

Crossy66
Club Player

The main thing that i was hoping stood out, would have been our kicking to targets and more particularly, kicking for goal. I think its the one area that would make us a "35 points a game" better team.
Its easily identifiable and simple to work on. But i must say i didnt notice any improvement, albeit the conditions were not great.
If they come out and kick 9 : 15 in round 1 i am gunna go all terry wallace.
Forget the conditioning staff, get these blokes kicking hundreds of goals after training until they get it right.
You know it makes sense!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 1:59pm
saynta wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 1:50pm It was hot and windy.
As opposed to our play? Hit and Wondy?
:D

damienc
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 11:59am
minneapolis wrote: Sun 24 Feb 2019 4:55am Watched the whole game online. These are my opinions (with an O).

Positives:

Negatives

Agree with most of that minneapolis. Like you I watched it online.
Regarding the game plan - apparently our spreading was very smooth.
I agree with just about everything in both of the posts. Very insightful. However, I would add that I very much liked the defensive pressure from the black team and the spread was pretty smooth. It is very early days. Skills will improve. Just so great to see Roberton back and playing well and Josh Bruce. Clark a big improver on last year almost unrecognisable. Joyce showed a bit as did Clavarino until he got injured. I hope it is nothing serious. Parker was up and about as was Savage and Nathan Brown. I wouldn't be reading anything into McCartin on that performance. I think and hope there will be pressure for spots and that has to be a good thing.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Quality ball carriers are what we’re crying out for, hopefully Clark and Coffield can get more midfield time so the forwards can actually lead with some confidence.
The poor bastards must cringe every time they see Steven, Ross, Newnes and Savage get the ball through the middle.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Positives:

Negatives

Agree with all the positives.

Clark, Phillips, Parker, Battle and Pierce's performances were very encouraging. Bruce & Roberton will be very valuable returns this year. Thought Dunstan deserved a mention too, he was very strong in the middle.

It seemed to be Probables vs Possibles in the first half, in which I don't think the Possibles scored? Marshall, Acres, Coffield and McKenzie were all in the Possibles team, not sure what to read into that?

I certainly think the opposite of the last two points in the above post. At one stage the black team was 10.2, hard to knock that sort of conversion.

There was also an obvious change in game plan, the way they moved the ball was completely different. Very little bombing inside 50 and plenty of switching and spreading from the back. I don't think I saw more than 2 or 3 kicks taken over the mark in the back half, it was always play on and spread. Obviously the new rules had an impact on how they set up as well. Savage will be vital with the new kick-in rules.

Newnes and Dustan look to have trimmed down considerably.

They'll all be better for the hit out, there'll be a lot more to learn this weekend.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

In all fairness to the "Lopey" Logan Austin, he didn't actually play in the game.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 9:44am In all fairness to the "Lopey" Logan Austin, he didn't actually play in the game.
:lol: :lol: :oops:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Displaying a shocking attention span:

did anyone see Brandon White playing (is he ok?), thought he might be right in the frame this season.

Gershwin
Club Player

Selhurst Saint wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 9:44am In all fairness to the "Lopey" Logan Austin, he didn't actually play in the game.
Are you sure? I thought I heard the commentators call his name a couple of times.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Rocket
Club Player

best - H Clark, M Parker, McCartin (half forward up/down moving well), Battle (CHB), Dunstan (fittest I’ve seen him), Kent, Ross, Roberton, Sinclair, Savage.

The guys who disappointed. Young, Rice, White. Acres going down a real concern - hopefully nothing serious. His body language coming off didn’t look good.

Clark - rolls across the surface and gets to right spots. Genuine mid who will add plenty now he has a tank and some size.

McCartin leading up and then spotting forwards closer to goal was a highlight. If he can move up and down with Membrey, then have Bruce at home we are in a much better place. Some of the comments here were harsh. Coaches would have been v.happy with his output.

Dunstan was great. He moved better than I’ve seen I. A long time. Looked lighter and got across the ground. Looked like some thing to prove. His time is right, been I. system and cherry ripe.

Battle - he was our sweeper. Reads this ball exceptionally well. And hits targets. Lock for half back line first game.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 10:50am
Are you sure? I thought I heard the commentators call his name a couple of times.

Perhaps he did, in which case he was not only lopey but also inconspicuous. :oops:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

White did play, for the green team in the back half.

The transition movement was far more calm and controlled than last year. A significant number of first 22 players out probably didn't help the standard, nor did conditions.

Notable players were Parker, Battle, Bruce, Roberton, Dunstan, Ross, Clarke and Pierce. Joyce really surprised me and he may well have a future that I could not see last year. McCartin was covering the ground very well, the whole game. Just kept leading up, leading up, leading up. Put Steven, Hannabery, Billings, Gresham, Steele, Webster, Membery, Carlisle, etc etc into that mix and things definitely start to look up.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

It was boring.

A third of the best 22 did not play.

Club made money.

Same thing this week except when we lose everyone will go bat shyt crazy.

More so the following week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

bigred wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 12:51pm It was boring.

A third of the best 22 did not play.

Club made money.

Same thing this week except when we lose everyone will go bat shyt crazy.

More so the following week.
It was a scrappy affair and not exciting but it was more to get some match play into the players. Seemed like an average VFL game to be honest.
IT was worth going if nothing else to support the club and get back to our heartland again.
I agree that the JLT will be a much better indication of our progress or lack there of

saynta
Saintsational Legend

White and Logan both played. They were both OK

saint64
Club Player

Rocket wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 10:54am best - H Clark, M Parker, McCartin (half forward up/down moving well), Battle (CHB), Dunstan (fittest I’ve seen him), Kent, Ross, Roberton, Sinclair, Savage.

The guys who disappointed. Young, Rice, White. Acres going down a real concern - hopefully nothing serious. His body language coming off didn’t look good.

Clark - rolls across the surface and gets to right spots. Genuine mid who will add plenty now he has a tank and some size.

McCartin leading up and then spotting forwards closer to goal was a highlight. If he can move up and down with Membrey, then have Bruce at home we are in a much better place. Some of the comments here were harsh. Coaches would have been v.happy with his output.

Dunstan was great. He moved better than I’ve seen I. A long time. Looked lighter and got across the ground. Looked like some thing to prove. His time is right, been I. system and cherry ripe.

Battle - he was our sweeper. Reads this ball exceptionally well. And hits targets. Lock for half back line first game.
A bit tough on Robbie Young - I thought he did a few good things. Marshall was also terrific - especially in the second half. Bruce was the most dominant forward.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Aren't these games like dancing with your sister?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8bloggs
Club Player

First half had all the Sandy players on the green jumper team, which made the black team with all Saints players look good - don't think the green team scored at all. During this half Clark (black team) looked the goods but to be fair he did not have much opposition.
Agree that the spread out of the back line looked better than last season, but entries into forward lines lacked precision and punch.
Bruce and Parker were lively, Roberton definitely a welcome inclusion, Brown making it look easy.
Paddy seems to play his best up on the wing where he passes off into the forward line better than most.
Pierce serviceable in the ruck, Alabakis has a long way to go, didn't see much of Rice, White and Coffield.
Second half they mixed up the Sandy and Saints players across the two sides and the game became more congested.
Skills not great but they never are at this time of year.
Lot of our best players absent so didn't take much out of it as far as an indicator of performance ahead.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

They blew out the cobwebs.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!