Hannebery on reduced workload following hamstring setback

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery on reduced workload following hamstring setback

Like tedthe's positive view. Its only money and we have heaps so at worst it means the less he plays the more expensive each minute of DH's game time. I wonder if there is an AFL cap on the $ per minute cost of contracts? Gresh and Billings managers must be up all night wondering how high to pitch the initial counter bids to the Club's offers. Its a far more relaxed negotiation when you know the club isn't really all that worried about cost per unit of live action time and there is money to burn.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 3:14pmAt the end of the day, if Dan himself and the club does everything to get him on the park the majority of games then they can do no more. Its all we can ask for as supporters. I'm confident he will play tons of footy for us as is he and the coaches...
Surely we did a proper medical on the bloke???

Surely...? <concerned emoticon>

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 3:14pm... Dan is teaching leadership, hard training, dedication, professionalism, respect, etc..
These are all good, honourable, and, vital things.

But from all reports, including from your good self Edward, our blokes have been learning all this, and more... from... Billy Slater.

And I suspect that Billy S isn't taking up $800K of our salary cap to impart these virtues...? :idea:

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 25 Feb 2019 3:14pm... Further, the possible 800k at 4 years (maybe 5) is not much when he have heaps of cap space right now and the full cap rises every season anyway.
It may no longer be 'not much' when several of our future stars start living up to your predictions for them Edward.

If we have a bloke on our list commanding $800K p.a., but contributing little on the field, maybe not even getting onto the field... that will surely lead to our young stars asking for a lot more money, a lot more, when their next contract is due.

These things can come back to bite us... big time. Another year following his current upward trajectory, and I predict that the Gresh', who has yet to re-sign, could well be the first point in case.

There's one hellova' lot riding on this Hannebery contract, IMHO...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

tony74 wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 1:03pm... Nothing in his bloodstream...
:shock:

Poor bloke. I never realised. :oops:

I hope we can manage his anaemia more efficiently than we have with Paddy's IDDM.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'd assume that Hannerbery didnt earn any performance bonuses in 17 and 18 and was more than likely on a base of about $650k a year, around 75-80% of his full contract. Im relatibg this to Riewoldt's last big contract and the fact Hanners had money in the bank at the Swan. So those 2 years probably cost him $300 and unless things got better he was probably lookin at about $1.95m at the Swans if he stayed whatever happened. Id assume that our 4 year deal probably put him at about a $2.4m base and that is our risk unless he triggers his bonuses and if he does, well that would be awesome. I think its important that we put this into a realistic perspective. Given the age of our list, the potential of our 1-4 year players and the lack of high profile recruits available, I'll settle for it for now. If he plays 15 - 18 games at 20-25 possession this year and gives vslue in terms of experience and leadership I'll be wrapped. I guess it all depends on the bonuses incentives (games played, finals and b&f position). I really hope he can manage the full contract figure.
Its all just a guess but my brain is aching with all this $800k congesture.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If Hannebery is not fully fit and can't get the most out of his body, I'd rather have a fit Dunstan or a fit Acres in the team - if it's a case of him or Dunstan/Acres.
Hannebery has to get back to his very, very best and not have any issue that is restricting him - our midfield was rated 16th in a recent article (which I already gave the link for).
No midfield passengers (especially expensive ones) - we can't afford any in our below-average midfield - and what message would that send?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm happy to swallow the company line that Hannebery is not on drugs and that the rumour is just that - a rumour. But pls, don't play us for fools. Surely we don't believe that hamstring awareness takes 6-8 weeks to recover from. Especially considering he was apparently flying before he did this injury, so he should have a good fitness base already and shouldn't need to just get fit again. It's a crock of bulls***. I don't know what's wrong with him or why he can't train, but pls - just say - he tore his hamstring.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

They have openly said Dan H hasn't done enough work because of the awareness. He is not fit enough yet to play proper footy and are being cautious.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:48am They have openly said Dan H hasn't done enough work because of the awareness. He is not fit enough yet to play proper footy and are being cautious.
It doesn't take much research to find informed answers about the recovery times for complete recovery from hamsring tendonitis (awareness without a tear). In cases where there is a history, like Hanners, 6 weeks or more is not uncommon. Complete avoidance of running, kicking and sudden transfer of weight should be adhered to during healing. Physio and muscle condition can take place after a couple of days once the pain is controlled.
Instances of repeated injury are prevalent in 12-31% of injuries that are not fully recovered.
It looks like pressure to recover and perform prematurely is part of Hannerberys recent history but without a tear recovrry is likely.
Patience is required for our investment to mature.
By most accounts, Hannerbery is as impatient and dissatisfied with his recovery than anyone. The football departments responsibility is to ensure it is done correctly and his longterm stability is optimal.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The more I check the worse it is, so I stopped checking and there is one (was one?) hope to hang our hats on - that this is the longest uninterrupted pre-season DH has had for ten years, due to the Swans not playing deep into September last year. (Nevermind that he had broken down - is it twice now? (Dec too)- and may not be ready for Round One.

From the Roar last Sept for those who didn't see it,

While OP has never been confirmed, it was a niggling groin injury that held him back earlier this season, and it still doesn’t seem as though he is fully fit.

Therein lies the conundrum for St Kilda, whose fans will be asking themselves an obvious question throughout the entire off-season: can Hannebery ever get back to his old self?

With the Swans tumbling out of contention on Saturday, this will be his longest off-season break since 2009 and hopefully his first uninterrupted preseason since 2015, a fact that should fill Saints fans with hope.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
takeaway
Club Player

I doubt whether Hannebury will get back to his very best. I think he was recruited just as much for his experience and leadership in a successful side with other good midfielders, as his playing capacity. If he gets back to 75% of his best, gets on the park for a majority of the year, that will be a plus imo.

I think our midfield improvement will come more from the likes of Steele, Clark, Billings, Sinclair, Gresham, Acres etc getting more effective when they run through the midfield, than Hannebury being added to the midfield. His presence will however help them learn the caper. From what I have seen, he will be more active in showing the younger blokes the ropes, unlike Jack Steven in my view, who is a gun, but not the same character as Hannebury.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

The recruitment of Hannebury is a massive mistake and I was hoping the club would be not so stupid as to sign him. Then they not only signed him, they paid a ridiculous 800,000 a year for four years.
It is blatantly obvious he is not the player he was five years ago and at 28 yo after two injury riddled years where he was very ordinary, no doubt the Swans were ecstatic a club would be stupid enough to take him on and free up their cap space.
When this turns pear shaped and it will, those responsible should be sacked.
I'll bet anyone he will miss more games than he plays and I said that the day the club was ridiculous enough to recruit him.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 3:22pm It is blatantly obvious he is not the player he was five years ago and at 28 yo after two injury riddled years where he was very ordinary, no doubt the Swans were ecstatic a club would be stupid enough to take him on and free up their cap space.
I would have used the word "if", not "when" - but agree with you, "if" it turns pear shaped - and if he doesn't get back to his best (or anywhere near his best), those responsible should be sacked - given the $800k per annum.
We have midfield coaches and onfield leaders - he is a player, first and foremost - and our below-average midfield needs him to get back to his AA best football - and be that player for us, that we desperately need.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 26 Feb 2019 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 3:22pm The recruitment of Hannebury is a massive mistake and I was hoping the club would be not so stupid as to sign him. Then they not only signed him, they paid a ridiculous 800,000 a year for four years.
It is blatantly obvious he is not the player he was five years ago and at 28 yo after two injury riddled years where he was very ordinary, no doubt the Swans were ecstatic a club would be stupid enough to take him on and free up their cap space.
I'll bet anyone he will miss more games than he plays and I said that the day the club was ridiculous enough to recruit him.
We are Hotel Desperados.

Get Hanners and hope like hell others will follow.

We are building some quality cokeheads with him & Snake on our list.

Plenty of quality cokehead players in the AFL - maybe they’ll want party with da Sayntars!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Apart from Carlisle being caught red handed where is your proof Hannebery is, as you say a cokehead?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Why did I somehow know that when we recruited Dan this constant discussion about him would come up. 🙄🙄🙄

Lets wait for the half way point of 2019 before saying too much. Everyone has said their piece now.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 6:28pm Lets wait for the half way point of 2019...
...when he'll be appointed our stand-in coach for the rest of the season...except, on account of his hamstrings, he'll be sitting.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:40pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 6:28pm Lets wait for the half way point of 2019...
...when he'll be appointed our stand-in coach for the rest of the season...except, on account of his hamstrings, he'll be sitting.
Standing would actually be better but in this context, less ridiculous, so thanks.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bac ... 510ik.html

"Meanwhile, Hannebery is in the middle of a two-week block of “hard running” in a bid to get to the next phase of his recovery, which would see him involved in match simulation.

“He’d be up against it [to be fit for round one], his body is fine insofar as any muscular tears, but he’s just had pain in his hamstring that doesn’t allow him to extend himself fully,” Lethlean said.

“He is frustrated, our doctors always knew with two years of interruption he was going to need to get the blocks of training in that our medical guys say he needs compared to rushing him.

“He’s come to terms with that I think and he’s just got to work hard and hope he plays round one, if not round one [then] round two, if not round two [then] round three.”

If not round three [then] round four, if not round four [then] round five, if not round five [then] round six, if not round six [then] round seven, if not round seven [then] round eight, if not round eight [then] round nine, if not round nine [then] round ten, if not round ten [then] round eleven, if not round eleven [then] round thirteen, if not round thirteen [then] round fourteen, if not round fourteen [then] round fifteen, if not round fifteen [then] round sixteen, if not round sixteen [then] round seventeen, if not round seventeen [then] round eighteen, if not round eighteen [then] round nineteen, if not round nineteen [then] round twenty, if not round twenty [then] round twenty one, if not round twenty one [then] round twenty two, if not round twenty two [then] round twenty three.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 1:11pm [then] round twenty three.
I've been told by many people who know about these things that we will be playing finals
So I'm not worried about a late return for Hannebery
It will be just like his last year for Sydney in 2018....

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I seem to remember another recent player with hamstring problems who the docs were confident of getting back on the park, just don’t rush him... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 4:12pm I seem to remember another recent player with hamstring problems who the docs were confident of getting back on the park, just don’t rush him... :roll:
Apples and Pears!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 4:33pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 27 Feb 2019 4:12pm I seem to remember another recent player with hamstring problems who the docs were confident of getting back on the park, just don’t rush him... :roll:
Apples and Pears!!!!!
Hopefully!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Limes & lemons? Different but both can leave a sour taste.

St Loxton
Club Player

Sombersainter wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 2:30pm I’ve heard that his hamstring is fine and his lay off has nothing to do with an injury but something else entirely
I think i might know what you might know.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 12:30pm
Sombersainter wrote: Sat 23 Feb 2019 2:30pm I’ve heard that his hamstring is fine and his lay off has nothing to do with an injury but something else entirely
I think i might know what you might know.
Haemorrhoids?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.