Screw you Doom and Gloom - let the games begin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Screw you Doom and Gloom - let the games begin

if they hadn’t won
they wouldn’t have sung .... granted ?

though they sang
but not because they won

mmmmmm
i like the heady stuff ... but on this one i need help

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

It played at the ground didnt it? It was also certainly sung in my living room. As rock legend Johnny O'Keefe put it, 'If you wanna be happy, sing a happy song, come on and sing sing sing!'.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i would have sung it as well if watching

i watched my father for years singing the song when Richmond won a toss to start the game

not that i wanna be my father
but if thats what it takes
well
love is stronger than pride it’s said

this is commentary regarding the boys
back in the rooms
on camera
singing the song
after winning a practice game is it not ?

i dunno
didnt watch it

thats why i’m asking

the premise of support for this action
is coz it was done for reasons other than winning

but those reasons , whatever they are , wouldn’t have been appropriate if we’d lost

is this a liberal party thread ?

jaxons
Club Player

asiu wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2019 11:18am i would have sung it as well if watching

i watched my father for years singing the song when Richmond won a toss to start the game

well

back in the rooms
on camera
singing the song

i dunno
didnt watch it

thats why i’m asking

but those reasons , whatever they are , wouldn’t have been appropriate if we’d lost

Everyone entitled to their view on this matter, as quite frankly no wrong or right it is just an opinion based matter.
My view is it is a joke to be singing the song after a practice match win and having the CEO address the playing group afterwards on how important it was for the club.
Just my view, on expectations etc.
Need to harden up as a footy club, probably a big reason why we have won one flag by one point in 150 years.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2019 1:57pm
asiu wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2019 11:18am i would have sung it as well if watching

well

back in the rooms
on camera
singing the song

i dunno
didnt watch it

thats why i’m asking

Everyone entitled to their view on this matter, as quite frankly no wrong or right it is just an opinion based matter.
My view is it is a joke to be singing the song after a practice match win and having the CEO address the playing group afterwards on how important it was for the club.
Just my view, on expectations etc.
Need to harden up as a footy club, probably a big reason why we have won one flag by one point in 150 years.
Sorry but I don't see the relevance of bringing up 150 years and 1 premiership. Sure, judge a club on its past 10-20 years but outside of that its not fair to bring up a club's entire history and compare it to how the footy club is doing right now. For example, no one today had basically zero input into what happend in the first 100 years at the Saints footy club so how is it anyone's fault today? There are a multitude of factors as to why some clubs have been better than others over the history of the game and a lot of it is down to sheer luck or decisions out of their control, e.g. the unfair zoning system of the VFL

The Saints coul had have easily won another 4-5 flags and really should have but thats life. Its not worth losing sleep over.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

please ban Ted again...If by saying this I risk a ban then I am willing to accept the penalty. See everyone in 24 hrs :)

PS predicting low end scale misdemeanor

<prediction was spot on - see you in 24 hours>

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Why?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

can’t talk about that subset of posters who’ve been banned
:P

sorry Ted

damienc
Club Player

I love this footy club as much as anyone else on this forum maybe more. I’ve been a Saints supporter for more than 50 years and will continue to be one until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil.

But loyalty is not blind. It is also not a one way street.

No amount of spin or wishful thinking is going to change the fact, yes fact, that after a catastrophic 2018,the footy club is at a cross roads. And doesn’t the club leadership know it.

Jaxons is absolutely on the money to criticise the embarrassment of singing the club song after winning a practice match. Seriously. A practice game? This is the kind of behaviour that makes us a laughingstock, and to have the president come into the rooms and address the players was just icing on this celebration of farce.

The question we should be asking is Why? Why would they do it? The answer is for us. For everyone on this forum and all St Kilda fans. It was a PR exercise. But you can’t put lipstick on a pig. 2019 is a watershed moment in the club’s history. We simply can’t have another season like the last.

The supporters and I mean all of them won’t cop it. So I hope all of the change and the new signings bring improvement. That is what we are looking for at the very minimum. There is a lot at stake despite what some here might think. Let’s hope the players are up for it especially now that we wont have our best defender for pretty much the rest of the season.

jaxons
Club Player

damienc wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2019 11:38pm I love this footy club as much as anyone else on this forum maybe more. I’ve been a Saints supporter for more than 50 years and will continue to be one until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil.

But loyalty is not blind. It is also not a one way street.

No amount of spin or wishful thinking is going to change the fact, yes fact, that after a catastrophic 2018,the footy club is at a cross roads. And doesn’t the club leadership know it.

Jaxons is absolutely on the money to criticise the embarrassment of singing the club song after winning a practice match. Seriously. A practice game? This is the kind of behaviour that makes us a laughingstock, and to have the president come into the rooms and address the players was just icing on this celebration of farce.

The question we should be asking is Why? Why would they do it? The answer is for us. For everyone on this forum and all St Kilda fans. It was a PR exercise. But you can’t put lipstick on a pig. 2019 is a watershed moment in the club’s history. We simply can’t have another season like the last.

The supporters and I mean all of them won’t cop it. So I hope all of the change and the new signings bring improvement. That is what we are looking for at the very minimum. There is a lot at stake despite what some here might think. Let’s hope the players are up for it especially now that we wont have our best defender for pretty much the rest of the season.
Was the CEO not the President who spoke after the game damienc, however that is semantics.
But brilliant post and seriously I am embarrassed that we sung the song after the practice game, good strong clubs do not behave like this.
Not sure the song was done for us, my feeling is they are trying to manufacture some belief and enthusiasm inside the playing group, and given wins were so scarce last year, maybe that might help.
I think it has the opposite effect and players expectations are pushed lower, given we are satisfied by winning a game like that.
I think the CEO's address around the importance of the win is aimed at us, as they need to sell belief and more importantly memberships to a supporter group that is wavering in their belief.
I am signed up as always, but I have no faith in current coach or CEO to really be excited about this year.
There are some individual players however to watch and be excited about this year.
That will keep me interested.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 4:09pm good strong clubs do not behave like this.
Umm dude, we're not a good strong club.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wow .... so we sung the song after we won an out of season game of football - well I think its great!!

Good on the players and the club - if it enhances cohesion and comradeship within the playing group and club then I don't see the problem.

The fact that some supposed supporters are "embarrassed :oops: "makes me question their loyalty to the club and its colors - a true supporter would sing the song loud a proud and on hearing it being sung would join in at anytime and anywhere - not get embarrassed because ..... its only a practice match or its not at a footy game so singing it would make me look stupid.

Its like being embarrassed cause your Dad starts dancing .... fk that .... join in and solidify that bond and absolutely for sure others will join ..... except of course those that are too embarrassed :oops: :oops:

I wonder what Billy Slater thinks about it?

Fortius Quo Fidelius - Through Thick and Thin

Carn the Mighty Saints!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 4:09pm .....my feeling is they are trying to manufacture some belief and enthusiasm inside the playing group....
Of course it was.

Whether it works or not, who knows.

What we do know thgouh, is that they didn't sing it because they were ecstatic that they won the game. They clearly sung it to try to generate some morale and excitement within the playing group. It's very probable, that based on the way they played, it was about maintaining the morale and excitement that they clearly have built over the pre-season.

What we also know, is that we won't win the flag. We will be lucky to avoid the bottom 6. We would need a miracle to play finals. So really, whether they sing the song or walk around with a salice for the rest of the week doesn't mean anything.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2019 4:39pm please ban Ted again...If by saying this I risk a ban then I am willing to accept the penalty. See everyone in 24 hrs :)

PS predicting low end scale misdemeanor

<prediction was spot on - see you in 24 hours>
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know stuff.. oh and being one of the founding members ..my first ban..special moment :)

jaxons
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 5:14pm
But we aspire to be one.
And I still hold faith that one day we will become one.
I think we are a sleeping giant and could be as big as Richmond one day in terms of support.
Not under this regime though.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

I think the club has a whole heap of problems. On and off field.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we have had weak leadership for so long..money plays it's part but really weak leadership ... over the years we needed only look at how other clubs went about it..we didn't...at times we showed a bit ..the GT era , the Lyons era,

we had some players but didn't do the smart work of getting the full potential out of them and the recruitment that would have bolstered the team to win the flags that the others do ... Hawks, Cats, etc won't mention the Interstate clubs who have had an advantage .

our club has suffered from poor administration for so long. Too many wankers took the helm

the score is on the board.
Hindsight is a marvelous thing..unfortunately failure has been a constant throughout the process .......at the end of the day let's hope some real football talent gets voted in at the GM to run the show.

what did I just say ? f*** all ..... something we already know.... **^%$

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 5:18pm.

Its like being embarrassed cause your Dad starts dancing .... fk that .... join in and solidify that bond and absolutely for sure others will join ..... except of course those that are too embarrassed :oops: :oops:

Carn the Mighty Saints!!
Devilhead wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 5:18pm
Its like being embarrassed cause your Dad starts dancing ....
fk that .... join in and solidify that bond and absolutely for sure others will join ..... except of course those that are too embarrassed :oops: :oops:

Carn the Mighty Saints!!
So you think your dad can dance do you?
Not even embarrassed a little bit? You're probably no better hey Napoleon Dynamite

So celebration is the name of the game in '19

Will it be shirts off bum hugs after each goal as in those soccer players?
What about rehearsed whole team dance routines as in American football?
Maybe you're just an 80s old timer and remember winning a quarter was cause for great celebration

You wonder what Slater thinks of it? I wonder how many times the Melbourne Storm sang the song after a praccy match training game?

Seeya
freely
SS Hall of Fame

What are bum hugs?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 3:27am

What about rehearsed whole team dance routines as in American football?
Maybe you're just an 80s old timer and remember winning a quarter was cause for great celebration

You wonder what Slater thinks of it? I wonder how many times the Melbourne Storm sang the song after a praccy match training game?
Think you might have missed off season talk about Slater educating the players on team camaraderie

Celebrating after goals etc......

Only hinting that maybe Slater had a hand in this to build a sense of oneness and team spirit

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 3:27am

If there is one thing we can agree on its no bum hugs.

I am not sure if you mean hugging someone around the bum or using your bum to hug someone but either way I say no and I hope to never score a goal while in your team

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 10:19pm
rodgerfox wrote: Thu 07 Mar 2019 5:14pm
But we aspire to be one.
And I still hold faith that one day we will become one.
I think we are a sleeping giant and could be as big as Richmond one day in terms of support.
Not under this regime though.
I think this is where sports fans in general, and Saints fans specifically become delusion.

Firstly, who gives a f*** if a team that you support is 'big' and 'powerful'?

With all due respect, of your own self-esteem and self worth is determined by that status of a sporting club - then you have issues.

Secondly, the Saints will never, ever be a big club.

We simply do not have the supporters. There is a weird myth that somehow a club can suddenly find 20 thousand supporters somewhere. Where?? Who are these people that will suddenly start supporting St Kilda?

The 'big' have always been big. They became big, because when they were founded, they inherited an enormous supporter base due to geographical location.

The Saints didn't. Fitzroy didn't. South Melbourne didn't. North Melbourne didn't.

There's a pattern here.

The Saints will never be big. Think about it. To get to 100,000 members would mean an increase of 50k on our biggest tally ever.
Where the f*** are they going to appear from?

A certain type of person buys a membership. That type of person generally makes up probably half of the average supporter base.
So we're going to have to find 100,000 new supporters somewhere, then get 50,000 of them to sign up!!

We played in two GFs in a row, and had the best player in the comp. One of the most marketable too.

Yet we only ever got up to 50k members. Even with the bandwagoners.

We will never, ever be big. I don't know why people think it's even a remote possibility.

But beyond that - I don't understand why anyone would care anyway.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think you're missing the point

It's got nothing to do with your own sense of self worth

It's all about enjoyment of the game

Winning is a much better feeling than losing. The more we win and the more we aspire to win, means we get a chance to experience that beautiful feeling of winning finals

We had a chance to have sustained success but the club chose the Pelchen model and a slide to the bottom instead of trying to remain as a relevant finalist. It's not delusional to want your club to be a big club.

When we have the best smart admins that can take advantage of the success on field with growth in Memberships like the Richmond model it can set you up long term. Richmond's huge membership growth momentum started before they won a premiership. The fact that their admin and board are so smart gives their on field more chance yo have sustained success

It means you get a chance to play on the big stage in front of big crowds and it helps the club attract big $$ in terms of sponsorship.
When your club is strong and powerful and successful in finals it generates revenue and that allows your players great opportunities in their footballing careers and beyond.

lewdogs
Club Player

The singing the song makes sense in our context. We are trying to get a vibe going again around winning, a belief that we are good enough. I don't really care if 'Hawthorn would never do it'. We are not Hawthorn and if we try to be like them we will fail. We need to do things our way.

At the end of the day we are aiming to get wins on the board this season early on. If singing the song helps that then good. Can't see it hindering.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 08 Mar 2019 9:48am I think you're missing the point

It's got nothing to do with your own sense of self worth

It's all about enjoyment of the game

Winning is a much better feeling than losing. The more we win and the more we aspire to win, means we get a chance to experience that beautiful feeling of winning finals

We had a chance to have sustained success but the club chose the Pelchen model and a slide to the bottom instead of trying to remain as a relevant finalist. It's not delusional to want your club to be a big club.

When we have the best smart admins that can take advantage of the success on field with growth in Memberships like the Richmond model it can set you up long term. Richmond's huge membership growth momentum started before they won a premiership. The fact that their admin and board are so smart gives their on field more chance yo have sustained success

It means you get a chance to play on the big stage in front of big crowds and it helps the club attract big $$ in terms of sponsorship.
When your club is strong and powerful and successful in finals it generates revenue and that allows your players great opportunities in their footballing careers and beyond.
So where's the correlation with being a 'big' club? What's a 'powerful' matter?

I totally get wanting the team to win. But this pining to support a big, powerful club thing is just nonsense.