Simon (Lethlean) says...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Simon (Lethlean) says...

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 9:31am
lewdogs wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:52am I just don't get how it's a bust because Hannebery is missing the start of the season. If at the end of the year he hasn't played a game, then ask the questions. If in two years he looks cooked, then ask. Why beat yourself up with conspiracy theories about Lethlean when for all you know Hannebery could come good. At which stage we will be praising Lethlean for getting him in.
It's beyond obvious it's a total bust from the day he was recruited.

Hannebery's previous two seasons are ample evidence of this.

At 28 years of age it won't be improving.

A five year contract at $800,000 a year is way beyond ridiculous.

Why five years for a 28 year old who has been plagued with injury for over two years?

No other club was interested in him.

The deal should have been three years at $500,000 with Sydney paying out the remainder of his existing contract he had with them to free up their cap space AND St.kilda not giving away TWO second round draft picks likely to be either 19, 20 or 21 and 39 for 28.
That would have been far more shrewd and balanced.
I'd still regard his recruitment as a mistake but at least it would not be so lopsided.
As it is Sydney must be pinching themselves!
Why would Sydney be pinching themselves? The money we pay him has no impact on them. They got the equivalent of about pick 40 for him, they'd hardly be pinching themselves. The fact that you're willing to write off the trade this early shows how little faith you have in anything the club does. Which is fine and I respect your right to that opinion, but your viewpoint as a result is very lopsided.

By the way a lot of 28 year olds improve, he's hardly a grandpa.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:28am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 6:38am
Scollop wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 1:29am Personal connections to family through amateur footy and Simon being mates with Dan's old man

"... given footy boss Simon Lethlean’s personal connections with him through Xavier College"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/lacks- ... 13c6abbf4c
Lethlean played for Old X but didnt go to Xavier.
Yes, I know. My sentence clearly states they knew each other thru amateur footy (Old Xavs)

The quote was directly from the Fox Sports article. The journo should have worded it better
Who is the journo? Wouldn't be Tom Morris by chance?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is dodgy as all f***.

Lethlean should have stepped away from the process on this as he had a clear conflict of interest, perceived or otherwise. That’s considered good practice in private industry and government.

Corporate governance 101: does the club and the AFL even have a governance process around dealing with conflicts of interests?

At best, it’s a very very very bad look for Lethlean (malfeasance, control fraud, cronyism etc) and the club (negligence and incompetence) and the player himself (perceived favouritism, his reputation).

Not good.

PS: I’m stating this is all perceived, not that it actually happened. There are such things as libel and defemation laws.
Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:52am, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

lewdogs wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 10:17am
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 9:31am
The deal should have been three years at $500,000 with Sydney paying out the remainder of his existing contract he had with them to free up their cap space AND St.kilda not giving away TWO second round draft picks likely to be either 19, 20 or 21 and 39 for 28.
I'd still regard his recruitment as a mistake but at least it would not be so lopsided.
Why would Sydney be pinching themselves? The money we pay him has no impact on them. They got the equivalent of about pick 40 for him, they'd hardly be pinching themselves.
Did you not read what I wrote?

Hannebery had an existing contract with Sydney for three years at $800,000.
St.kilda recruited Hannebery and Sydney have 2.4 million taken off their books and it frees up their cap space to recruit a player or players who are not cooked and way past their prime as is the case with Hannebery.

Sydney also received two second round draft selections and gave St.kilda one draft selection in return.
Sydney receive what is likely to be either 19, 20 or 21, perhaps 22 and pick 39 and gave St.kilda 28 in return.
Sydney would be pinching themselves!

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Do you know for certain that we are paying all Dan's wages?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:46am Do you know for certain that we are paying all Dan's wages?????
Yes, St Kilda is paying the entire contract. That is why the deal is referred to as a salary dump by Sydney.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Viking3
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 10:57am This is dodgy as all f***.

Lethlean should have stepped away from the process on this as he had a clear conflict of interest, perceived or otherwise. That’s considered good practice in private industry and government.

Corporate governance 101: does the club and the AFL even have a governance process around dealing with conflicts of interests?

At best, it’s a very very very bad look for Lethlean (malfeasance, control fraud, cronyism etc) and the club (negligence and incompetence) and the player himself (perceived favouritism, his reputation).

Not good.

PS: I’m stating this is all perceived, not that it actually happened. There are such things as libel and defemation laws.
Thanks for the laugh SaintPav (in a good way-no umbrage),

AFL House doesn't give a shyte about these events! They are the masters of this kind of behaviour!!

Go Saints.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:58am
stonecold wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:46am Do you know for certain that we are paying all Dan's wages?????
Yes, St Kilda is paying the entire contract. That is why the deal is referred to as a salary dump by Sydney.
Your totally sure that's a fact are you?????

Salary Cap dump (as you put it), can mean any percentage of a Salary not paid!!!!!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 12:36pm

Salary Cap dump (as you put it), can mean any percentage of a Salary not paid!!!!!
I dont think anyone is even sure of what the actual deal is. You dont need facts or real figures because the media has delivered all the speculation needed to feed the hysterical masses. Its all speculation.

His deal with Sydney was $80000k a year. Was it heavily front ended? Did we match the balance and throw in an extra year with a trigger for a 5th? Personally I couldnt give a s*** but Im not spitting my dummy yet.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Yes. I. Am. Sure. (just in case you were unable to interpret the rather plain, unambiguous language I used).

In the absence of anything else, I can only presume it was the lack of exclamation marks that somehow confounded and confused you.

Go you red, black & white warriors
stonecold
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 2:17pm

Yes. I. Am. Sure. (just in case you were unable to interpret the rather plain, unambiguous language I used).

In the absence of anything else, I can only presume it was the lack of exclamation marks that somehow confounded and confused you.
OK, you run with that then!!!!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Here's a Sydney fan's perspective from just after the Hannebery trade was first made:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/13/w ... -business/

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

I can't see the point in all of the hysteria and negativity about Hannebery's transfer to the Saints. He is 28 which to many people appears to be "old", when in reality he should have at least another 3-5 or more years to play at the top level. Sure, he has some serious issues with his hamstrings and calves, but at 28 these can be fixed, and usually are.

It is far too soon to be writing Hannebery off, and I have no doubt he will get back to full physical fitness - there's no rush, and I hope he proves all the sceptical supporters wrong. And when he is fully fit he will provide the team with boundless energy, skill and strong experienced leadership, much like did for the Swans!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We are not paying the salary in full

#1 Ryder fan
GilsAuPair
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:54pm We are not paying the salary in full
We are paying more than the Swans were going to pay him. By some way.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:40pm I can't see the point in all of the hysteria and negativity about Hannebery's transfer to the Saints. He is 28 which to many people appears to be "old", when in reality he should have at least another 3-5 or more years to play at the top level. Sure, he has some serious issues with his hamstrings and calves, but at 28 these can be fixed, and usually are.

It is far too soon to be writing Hannebery off, and I have no doubt he will get back to full physical fitness - there's no rush, and I hope he proves all the sceptical supporters wrong. And when he is fully fit he will provide the team with boundless energy, skill and strong experienced leadership, much like did for the Swans!
"28 is not old." :shock:
Really? It is, in sport.

He's had 2 injury-riddled years.
There's been a few players retired before 28.
Dan Southern of Bulldogs, Luke Penny who had bad knees.

I wonder whether our medicos who couldn't fix Weller, will do any better with Hannas. Sure they fixed Freeman (or was he fixed by a German guru on Germany?)
Swans have better resources than us, as well as more depth. They could have rested him for longer but maybe thought that they've done their best and he can't be fixed?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:57pm
MC Gusto wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:54pm We are not paying the salary in full
We are paying more than the Swans were going to pay him. By some way.
How so? Got any proof of that?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 6:23pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:40pm I can't see the point in all of the hysteria and negativity about Hannebery's transfer to the Saints. He is 28 which to many people appears to be "old", when in reality he should have at least another 3-5 or more years to play at the top level. Sure, he has some serious issues with his hamstrings and calves, but at 28 these can be fixed, and usually are.

Really? It is, in sport.

I wonder whether our medicos who couldn't fix Weller, will do any better with Hannas. Sure they fixed Freeman (or was he fixed by a German guru on Germany?)
Swans have better resources than us, as well as more depth. They could have rested him for longer but maybe thought that they've done their best and he can't be fixed?
Swans Ran him into the ground. Played him injured for two years when he couldn't train.

That's what our guys are trying to fix. If they do we will have an A grade all Australian playing for us for the next 3 to 4 years.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 6:57pm

Really? It is, in sport.

Swans Ran him into the ground. Played him injured for two years when he couldn't train.

That's what our guys are trying to fix. If they do we will have an A grade all Australian playing for us for the next 3 to 4 years.
Pretty much Saynta. Dan has alluded to it in interviews but out of respect for the Swans he will never publically bag them. It says a lot about his character.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 7:56pm

Really? It is, in sport.

Pretty much Saynta. Dan has alluded to it in interviews but out of respect for the Swans he will never publically bag them. It says a lot about his character.
What do the haters do when Dan plays, do they boo him? Do they cheer him, just curious. Clearly they won't be happy. His debut is going to be awkward.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:54pm when Dan plays
LOL

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Shaggy
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 9:05pm
Cairnsman wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:54pm when Dan plays
LOL
LOL back.

I am so glad our club is willing to take risks again.

Mediocrity comes from never making mistakes.

Even if Dan misses this year his recruitment is still good for the club.

damienc
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 8:54pm

Really? It is, in sport.

What do the haters do when Dan plays, do they boo him? Do they cheer him, just curious. Clearly they won't be happy. His debut is going to be awkward.
Dan Hannebery hasn’t played a footy game for us ever.

We are told he won’t be right until at least round 6 or 7 maybe even longer.

Are you talking about this season or 2020?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 4:48am

Really? It is, in sport.

Whenever. Will you boo him?

damienc
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 5:54am
damienc wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 4:48am

Really? It is, in sport.

Whenever. Will you boo him?
I boo you.
Last edited by damienc on Thu 28 Mar 2019 8:03am, edited 1 time in total.