How bad was our defence against Gold Coast?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How bad was our defence against Gold Coast?

..reason, I ask is because I don't want Joyce dropped, but can't imagine Brown left out.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: How bad was our defence against Gold Coast?

Joyce looked good everywhere but in the one-on-one contests with Wright, where he obviously would panic and kept holding an arm and giving away free kicks.

Though I would pick him over Brown. Joyce is the future, Brown is not, why waste games on him?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
guitars4
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 10:04pm ..reason, I ask is because I don't want Joyce dropped, but can't imagine Brown left out.
Our defense was IMO admirable compared to our midfield . But as I said IMO only :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Gold Coast had 19 shots on goal

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ball kept rebounding straight out of the forward line. Ball was bombed in, sometimes to a GC defender on their own, sometimes to the GC defender's advantage, but the ball was coming straight back out, particularly noticeable in the last quarter. Can't really blame the defenders. I'd keep Joyce in myself. I thought he did a reasonable job on Wright who was always going to do well against us, as undermanned down back as were.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The backline was the good news story from last weekend. I reckon Alan would have been relieved and happy in equal measure.

Joyce will be dropped this weekend to make way for Brown but will get another crack real soon.

Battle and Wilkie...there's ya Backline.

Wilkie could be one out of the box.

Battle is going to be something special.

Jake will be licking his lips.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpires made sure our backline was always under the pump. Gave some of the most ridiculous free kicks you'll see.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:16am The backline was the good news story from last weekend. I reckon Alan would have been relieved and happy in equal measure.

Joyce will be dropped this weekend to make way for Brown but will get another crack real soon.

:lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Our key defenders (Joyce, Battle, Wilkie) on Sunday had a total of 9 games AFL experience between them. You'd do well to find a more inexperienced key defensive trio in AFL/VFL history.

They were shaky at times, but all in all they battled (no pun intended) on well.

That said, Brown will almost certainly replace Joyce this week.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 6:16am The backline was the good news story from last weekend. I reckon Alan would have been relieved and happy in equal measure.

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of it except we leaked too many easy goals at times but a bit of that was some midfield lacking defensively. We leaked far, far too many soft ones.

Joyce just gave away too many frees. Just too many. Apart from that he was very good.

Battle was a surprise really. His intercept ability was on point. Wilkie was an absolute bonus and potentially could be the pick up of the year. He can play at that level.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Joyce is a bloke we need to get to 50 games.
Yes he is inexperienced and is giving aways fres but I'd try to play him when possible.
He could end up something special.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

They did the best they could but they were inexperienced. Joyce gave away too many frees and there wasn't a lot of pace. Brown in for sure but Joyce better for the run. I am not sure but how did hind go for sandy

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:29am Umpires made sure our backline was always under the pump. Gave some of the most ridiculous free kicks you'll see.
Yep, didn’t even let Joyce repeatedly pin Wright’s arm, what is the game coming too?!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:11am
CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:29am Umpires made sure our backline was always under the pump. Gave some of the most ridiculous free kicks you'll see.
Yep, didn’t even let Joyce repeatedly pin Wright’s arm, what is the game coming too?!

Lol when all your looking for is free kick against StKilda you'll find it. GC defenders were allowed to get away with murder. The best was the non controlling umpire 200 meters away pinning Joyce.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

Our forward defensive work and mid defensive work wasn't great in some patches of that game, and that puts a bit of pressure on the backline. Too many time the GC midfield got the ball out to their advantage. Our midfield need to be switched on for four quarters.

barneyboyz
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:23am

Lol when all your looking for is free kick against StKilda you'll find it. GC defenders were allowed to get away with murder. The best was the non controlling umpire 200 meters away pinning Joyce.
Hey CURLY, I'm with you on this, and I can understand why you get some of the flak you cop. Yes, there's plenty of occasions where our players are a little sloppy and give away the frees, but this has been going on through multiple years, through different regimes, coaches and most of all playing groups. Sorry, but I can't believe that there's been a 'plan' written on the walls of the place, that says "You are a Saints player now, this is how you must play", that's as silly as thinking we don't give away frees. All teams get sloppy, comes with aggression.

Sadly, I watch plenty of football (some not even ours) and it's not just us, this can happen in most games. Some players/clubs get a very different interpretation of (some of) the rules. For example, the Dogs...you can't dispute that they have been getting a fairly good run at it for some time now.

I can't speak of this game as I haven't seen much of it, but you only have to remember the praccy against the dogs, players aren't stupid, they know what's going on around them. It's time Richo booked a meeting

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Winmar7
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 5:56am Ball kept rebounding straight out of the forward line. Ball was bombed in, sometimes to a GC defender on their own, sometimes to the GC defender's advantage, but the ball was coming straight back out, particularly noticeable in the last quarter. Can't really blame the defenders. I'd keep Joyce in myself. I thought he did a reasonable job on Wright who was always going to do well against us, as undermanned down back as were.
you nailed it! not enough forward pressure - too many easy kick outs from behinds and not enough crumbing pressure at the bottom of packs. if this improves the backline will be better protected.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Great summation. It was the good news story, by a mile.

We've found long-term players in Battle and Wilkie, even if they had to play patch-up jobs on the weekend and may find themselves exposed in the coming weeks.

Brown comes in to take the load off Joyce IMO.

We're still in band-aid mode but Marsh will soon be ready - and I think we'll get another player there, too.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 28 Mar 2019 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 11:31am
Hey CURLY, I'm with you on this, and I can understand why you get some of the flak you cop. Yes, there's plenty of occasions where our players are a little sloppy and give away the frees, but this has been going on through multiple years, through different regimes, coaches and most of all playing groups. Sorry, but I can't believe that there's been a 'plan' written on the walls of the place, that says "You are a Saints player now, this is how you must play", that's as silly as thinking we don't give away frees. All teams get sloppy, comes with aggression.

Sadly, I watch plenty of football (some not even ours) and it's not just us, this can happen in most games. Some players/clubs get a very different interpretation of (some of) the rules. For example, the Dogs...you can't dispute that they have been getting a fairly good run at it for some time now.

I can't speak of this game as I haven't seen much of it, but you only have to remember the praccy against the dogs, players aren't stupid, they know what's going on around them. It's time Richo booked a meeting
Mnnnn. that's what I'm worried about. I read somewhere - I'm in Japan so can't see games - that Gold Coast converted 26% of their forward (x?) into goals and that was a poor sign for St Kilda, i.e. our defense was weak. I can't be sure what that (x) was. I thought initially they meant entries but that sounds insanely high. If you convert 26% of your forward entries into goals, that is dangerous I would have thought.

Essendon hvae skilled and zippy forwards and they might make short work out of clumsy trees. Geary will have his work cut out. So it would seem that our midfield and forward defense has to really tighten up.

barneyboyz
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 11:55am
barneyboyz wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 11:31am

Mnnnn. that's what I'm worried about. I read somewhere - I'm in Japan so can't see games - that Gold Coast converted 26% of their forward (x?) into goals and that was a poor sign for St Kilda, i.e. our defense was weak. I can't be sure what that (x) was. I thought initially they meant entries but that sounds insanely high. If you convert 26% of your forward entries into goals, that is dangerous I would have thought.

Essendon hvae skilled and zippy forwards and they might make short work out of clumsy trees. Geary will have his work cut out. So it would seem that our midfield and forward defense has to really tighten up.
If two, three or four of those forward X's end up with unwarranted goals, you'd have an unfair advantage though, wouldn't you? and please don't think I'm just talking about inside 50 frees, a play-on advantage on centre wing now sees many a goal

All just my opinion though

No doubt our team needs to tighten up, there's no question from me

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 7:57am Our key defenders (Joyce, Battle, Wilkie) on Sunday had a total of 9 games AFL experience between them. You'd do well to find a more inexperienced key defensive trio in AFL/VFL history.

They were shaky at times, but all in all they battled (no pun intended) on well.

That said, Brown will almost certainly replace Joyce this week.
And that's the thing for me about the very good point you make, yes we didn't set the world on fire against a team percieved as this years bottom dweller, but it was the little things that happened in the game with regards to green shoots appearing (apologies to Brendan Bolton for stealing your favorite cliche).

And also in context of finding replacements for our LTI players like Robbo and Jake. Depth could be something we are starting to see in the list too.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 10:04pm ..reason, I ask is because I don't want Joyce dropped, but can't imagine Brown left out.
I actually thought Joyce showed some very good signs, but since Brown is a seasoned, experienced player in a backline lacking experience I expect someone will make way.

If it is Joyce, he will be back. I thought he looked a very good long term prospect

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 2:31pm
I actually thought Joyce showed some very good signs, but since Brown is a seasoned, experienced player in a backline lacking experience I expect someone will make way.

If it is Joyce, he will be back. I thought he looked a very good long term prospect
Yep..Joyce going back for Brown accepted..for this week. Then Wilkie to stay and was good I understand, and seems to be 'a find' as expressed by someone on this thread.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 3:36am Gold Coast had 19 shots on goal
and we had 20 - point?

actually both had more - but there were some pretty woeful shots oof

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CURLY wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 10:23am The best was the non controlling umpire 200 meters away pinning Joyce.
that would be right - he was in the car park going home wasnt he curly?

Seeya