AFL & umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

guitars4
Club Player

AFL & umpires

Probably not the right forum to post this but I have vent my spline. Umpires courtesy of the AFL are ruining our great game. I just finished watching the Druggies Melbourne game & the umpiring was nothing short of disgraceful . A few games last week were influenced by poor umpiring & tonight was as bad or worse. Something has to be done or the game will become a joke if it's not already. Sorry folks but I had to tell someone :cry:

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: AFL & umpires

Watched the game and have to agree. Umpires had a disproportional influence on the result

Always loyal
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Funny I was going to vent too. I only watched the last 10 minutes, but f me the Bombers were absolutely gifted that by the umps, completely disgraceful. If you don't think the umps had a vested interest tonight....

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

100% correct. They were paying frees for technicalities and 50/50s. Let the players play. The Stringer free in the last was drawn by Stringer running to the opponent to try and stage an interference free. He wasn’t even running at the ball.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Umps were terrible on occasions. Unfortunately, you need them to play a game of footy - just like a frozen meal needs a microwave.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2019 11:02pm 100% correct. They were paying frees for technicalities and 50/50s. Let the players play. The Stringer free in the last was drawn by Stringer running to the opponent to try and stage an interference free. He wasn’t even running at the ball.
I also felt the game was over officiated.

I don’t necessarily agree with pointing out specific isolated incidents, but watching it appeared Melbourne got a fair run in the first 1/4 that helped keep them in match, then it swung to Essendon in the second 1/2.

The best games are the ones where the umps let it flow, 2009 GF was the perfect example, they let the game flow and only played the blatant Frees.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 6:55am
BackFromUSA wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2019 11:02pm 100% correct. They were paying frees for technicalities and 50/50s. Let the players play. The Stringer free in the last was drawn by Stringer running to the opponent to try and stage an interference free. He wasn’t even running at the ball.

I don’t necessarily agree with pointing out specific isolated incidents, but watching it appeared Melbourne got a fair run in the first 1/4 that helped keep them in match, then it swung to Essendon in the second 1/2.

The best games are the ones where the umps let it flow, 2009 GF was the perfect example, they let the game flow and only played the blatant Frees.
Yes in the 2009 the umpires did let it flow ignoring the blatant infringments on Riewoldt all day only to pay a soft ridiculous free and goal to Ablett.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

That's all right - The Umpires help Essendon win this week - and they will help their opponents win Round 5. Result 1-1 for both teams!

Not feeling persecuted at all!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
happy feet
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 8:33am That's all right - The Umpires help Essendon win this week - and they will help their opponents win Round 5. Result 1-1 for both teams!

The AFL have a vested interest in the big clubs like Essendon doing well. In 1993 (?) their GF Win should have been stripped from them for blatant salary cap cheating, we have the doping issue, last night they broke the rules in the setup having 7 down back, if it was us it would have been penalized and media all over it for 2 weeks. The preferential treatment at Docklands is another example. I hate them, even more than the skunks and their supporters are absolute dickheads too.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Gotta agree with all of you.

I am certain that everybody who paid their admission last night did so with the impression they were going to watch footballers play football. What they saw was umpires umpiring; not sure that anybody would knowingly pay to watch that!

Saint supporter since '62
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

The reality is that it should be a very simple game made difficult however by ridiculous interpretations

For example “prior opportunity “

It is way too complicated to adjudicate in the speed of the game

It is a simple game as there are only two ways you can legally dispose of the ball once in possession..... handball or kick

Or the ball can get knocked out in a tackle

Everything else should be a free kick and get rid of prior opportunity

For example in the last quarter Frost takes possession.. great tackle from Stringer.. Frost drops the ball... play on no prior

It was and should have been a free kick every day

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
stkfc1
Club Player

I'd be furious if I was a Melbourne supporter today. Most ridiculous umpiring Ive seen in a long time. And to make matters worse they didnt pay the obvious one that were there. I think it was Francis in the last quarter that got tackled in front of Melb goal. He was stone cold done for either incorrect disposal or dropping the ball and then he just threw the ball, one handed mind you, to a team member next to him! The game was still well up for grabs at that stage. That being said it makes me smile inside that the Dees are 0-3 after all the preseason hype about them. And the Bombers are rubbish. That team aint going nowhere fast.

stkfc1
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 10:16am I'd be furious if I was a Melbourne supporter today. Most ridiculous umpiring Ive seen in a long time. And to make matters worse they didnt pay the obvious one that were there. I think it was Francis in the last quarter that got tackled in front of Melb goal. He was stone cold done for either incorrect disposal or dropping the ball and then he just threw the ball, one handed mind you, to a team member next to him! The game was still well up for grabs at that stage. That being said it makes me smile inside that the Dees are 0-3 after all the preseason hype about them. And the Bombers are rubbish. That team are going nowhere fast.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2019 10:46pm Probably not the right forum to post this but I have vent my spline. Umpires courtesy of the AFL are ruining our great game. I just finished watching the Druggies Melbourne game & the umpiring was nothing short of disgraceful . A few games last week were influenced by poor umpiring & tonight was as bad or worse. Something has to be done or the game will become a joke if it's not already. Sorry folks but I had to tell someone :cry:
The maggots gifted the game to the druggies. Too shocking to actually believe, but it's true

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 8:32am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 6:55am

Yes in the 2009 the umpires did let it flow ignoring the blatant infringments on Riewoldt all day only to pay a soft ridiculous free and goal to Ablett.
And of course, pulling Baker's jumper over his head when he didn't have the ball is never a free. :roll:

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What are the umps called these days?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 10:20am
guitars4 wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2019 10:46pm Probably not the right forum to post this but I have vent my spline. Umpires courtesy of the AFL are ruining our great game. I just finished watching the Druggies Melbourne game & the umpiring was nothing short of disgraceful . A few games last week were influenced by poor umpiring & tonight was as bad or worse. Something has to be done or the game will become a joke if it's not already. Sorry folks but I had to tell someone :cry:
The maggots gifted the game to the druggies. Too shocking to actually believe, but it's true
Headquarters need Essendon to be successful .

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 10:16am I'd be furious if I was a Melbourne supporter today. Most ridiculous umpiring Ive seen in a long time. And to make matters worse they didnt pay the obvious one that were there. I think it was Francis in the last quarter that got tackled in front of Melb goal. He was stone cold done for either incorrect disposal or dropping the ball and then he just threw the ball, one handed mind you, to a team member next to him! The game was still well up for grabs at that stage. That being said it makes me smile inside that the Dees are 0-3 after all the preseason hype about them. And the Bombers are rubbish. That team aint going nowhere fast.
Don’t start me on the one handed disposal

My great fear is that eventually they will do away with handball and it will become the throw disposal

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
milney044
Club Player

51 free kicks paid in one game of football. Enough said. :x :x

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 11:32am 51 free kicks paid in one game of football. Enough said. :x :x
28 to 23 druggies way. Pathetic.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 10:16am I'd be furious if I was a Melbourne supporter today. Most ridiculous umpiring Ive seen in a long time. And to make matters worse they didnt pay the obvious one that were there. I think it was Francis in the last quarter that got tackled in front of Melb goal. He was stone cold done for either incorrect disposal or dropping the ball and then he just threw the ball, one handed mind you, to a team member next to him! The game was still well up for grabs at that stage. That being said it makes me smile inside that the Dees are 0-3 after all the preseason hype about them. And the Bombers are rubbish. That team aint going nowhere fast.
And here’s me thinking stone cold was Lazzar 😉

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

happy feet wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 9:16am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2019 8:33am That's all right - The Umpires help Essendon win this week - and they will help their opponents win Round 5. Result 1-1 for both teams!

The AFL have a vested interest in the big clubs like Essendon doing well. In 1993 (?) their GF Win should have been stripped from them for blatant salary cap cheating, we have the doping issue, last night they broke the rules in the setup having 7 down back, if it was us it would have been penalized and media all over it for 2 weeks. The preferential treatment at Docklands is another example. I hate them, even more than the skunks and their supporters are absolute dickheads too.
Salary Cap cheating.
Melb Storm Rugby club lost 2 Premierships, didn't they,
for Cap cheating?
I know our Brian Waldron was involved.
So Essendrug keeps theirs,
Why?
SMH

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

can we still get umpires radio or is that gone now?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2019 11:48pm Umps were terrible on occasions. Unfortunately, you need them to play a game of footy - just like a frozen meal needs a microwave.
Agree with you about the terrible umpiring last night.

Carlton fans not happy with the umpiring today. Very suspect decision in the last quarter when Carlton had a bit of momentum.

Btw... people had been reheating meals for decades before microwaves were invented. Just empty the contents into a pan or a pot on the stove. Add a drop or two of boiling water and it takes about the same time to heat up.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Umpires in the Richmond vs GWS game over-officiating, determining the scoring. Richmond coach is not happy.