COFFIELD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: COFFIELD

twirlyhair wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 5:09pm
stonecold wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:48pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:23pm
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:03pm I suspect the reason for his drop in form and confidence is due to the fact that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder when he's very clearly your classic rebounding half back. Ideally he should be pushing Savage out of the side and becoming our new distributor from defence but our recruiters and coaches have a morbid fascination with recruiting flankers and trying to turn them into mids.
Spot on. The main problem has been that we have not focussed on drafting genuine mids

We had a chance to start the ball rolling with 'The Bont' followed by the 'Tractor' and possibly used pick 5 to target an A grade mid rather than a key position player...anyhow, at least we got Gresh in 2015.

Let's hope Bytel gets over his back injury and fulfils his potential. Fingers crossed.
Christine Patracca is not a genuine mid, not yet anyway!!!!!

Very overrated by many on here, 'The Bont' was a bolter that the dogs got right, given up on Billings have you?????

Coffee is in his 2nd year, I'm not prepared to write him off like some are!!!!!

He will become a good midfielder, by the way, midfielder's now also play half back and half forward, it's called development, I think you have gone too early with these calls, but hey, that's just my opinion!!!!!
Hey what makes you think you can come in here and give perspective on this site?!
Who's gonna stop me????? 😂

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
ss1986
Club Player

What magical established player would you have used pick 7 or 8 on?

Pretty known the club tried this but couldn't convince any decent players to arrive. So it's not exactly a new though nor different from the club's desire.
[/quote]

You honestly telling me Pick 7 couldn’t have been offered up for a half decent player in the league? Maybe overs, but no more of a punt.

Reckon if Collingwood were offered pick 7 for Darcy Moore last year they mightve had a look at it.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Coffield turned 19 in late October last year. Obviously time to write him off.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 7:04pm
mad saint guy wrote: Thu 21 Mar 2019 1:03pm I suspect the reason for his drop in form and confidence is due to the fact that we're trying to turn him into a midfielder when he's very clearly your classic rebounding half back. Ideally he should be pushing Savage out of the side and becoming our new distributor from defence but our recruiters and coaches have a morbid fascination with recruiting flankers and trying to turn them into mids.
Spot on. The main problem has been that we have not focussed on drafting genuine mids

We had a chance to start the ball rolling with 'The Bont' followed by the 'Tractor' and possibly used pick 5 to target an A grade mid rather than a key position player...anyhow, at least we got Gresh in 2015.

Let's hope Bytel gets over his back injury and fulfils his potential. Fingers crossed.

Very overrated by many on here, 'The Bont' was a bolter that the dogs got right, given up on Billings have you?????

He will become a good midfielder, by the way, midfielder's now also play half back and half forward, it's called development, I think you have gone too early with these calls, but hey, that's just my opinion!!!!!
Hey what makes you think you can come in here and give perspective on this site?!
This is a thread about Coff.

If you want to discuss the AFLW I'm sure you can do that in the opposition and general sports forums

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 9:46pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 7:04pm

This is a thread about Coff.

If you want to discuss the AFLW I'm sure you can do that in the opposition and general sports forums
As per usual, you have your selective reading glasses on!!!!! ;)

twirlyhair
Club Player

Close source suggested that he and family were very disappointed to be selected at draft time by the saints as the club were perceived to be a very poor organisation to join. I really hope that he has bought in over the last year or so. If not, he might just look to get out in a year or two. Does anyone know his contractual status?

wolfpup
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 12:40am Close source suggested that he and family were very disappointed to be selected at draft time by the saints as the club were perceived to be a very poor organisation to join. I really hope that he has bought in over the last year or so. If not, he might just look to get out in a year or two. Does anyone know his contractual status?
no idea if what you are saying is true but the disappointment if any would be that his family has ties with the western bulldogs and we picked coffield the pick before western bulldogs pick.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
spert
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:58pm Coff will be in our best 10 players within 5 years. Bookmark it. Along with Hunter.
Just need to get those two working with a decent coach

longtimesaint
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 12:40am Close source suggested that he and family were very disappointed to be selected at draft time by the saints as the club were perceived to be a very poor organisation to join. I really hope that he has bought in over the last year or so. If not, he might just look to get out in a year or two. Does anyone know his contractual status?
Coffield and Hunter Clark both signed contract extensions last year and are contracted till 2021.
Hard to imagine while he would have if he was unhappy.
He just needs to keep working hard to be ready for senior football.

One year will be our year
stonecold
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 8:41am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:58pm Coff will be in our best 10 players within 5 years. Bookmark it. Along with Hunter.
So now Ratten is no good either?????

He works with the young guys!!!!!

DJ Higgins
Club Player

So to summarise
Kid is young
Not AFL standard after one season
New coaches in place
Plays a position that has the most competition for game time
Signed until 2021.
Let's reassess at the end of this year

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Give the kid time. No rush. It has taken Billings 6 seasons to get to where he is.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 9:35am So to summarise
Kid is young
Not AFL standard after one season
New coaches in place
Plays a position that has the most competition for game time
Signed until 2021.
Let's reassess at the end of this year
yep, fair analysis.
Another year developing is fine. Not every kid coming into AFL is Paddy Cripps.

Nee!
spert
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 9:05am
spert wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 8:41am
So now Ratten is no good either?????

He works with the young guys!!!!!
Should say that under Richo, a clearly good prospect in Coff, has stalled- just should not be happening. Let's see about Ratten- he may or may not be any good in player development.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 1:27pm
mad saint guy wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:12pm On the topic of our mindblowingly bad recruiting over the past decade or so; holy hell Connor Rozee would have been a great selection for us. But we just don't pick fit players with strong recent form. Always looking for a bargain.

Let's take the lanky FF who didn't play all year because a terrible knee injury...

Don't agree with this post. King would have pushed for top 2 selection had he played.

And the recent form / unavailability of McCartin makes King an even better choice in hindsight.

I didn't love the selection of a tall at draft time, but given our current scenario - picking a very talented forward at 4 could be a masterstroke.
That's pure speculation though. TBH I wasn't impressed with King's single good game in the TAC cup before his injury. His set shot goalkicking was terrible - I don't think he kicked one from more than 30m out. Yes he had a lot of shots but he was also a foot taller than his opponent.

We've taken a gamble on the low percentage option, much like we did with McCartin but at least Paddy had plenty of decent exposed U/18 form. Key forwards picked early in the draft have a much, much higher bust rate than mids and that is only compounded when you take into account injury/health/lack of exposed form issues.

I loved the Josh Battle selection because he had shown plenty of strong form as a junior and the main deterrent was his poor athletic testing, which was largely explained by his ankle injury during the combine. He was also taken fairly late in the draft.

With King we passed up on several elite prospects who actually played during their U/18 year and are much safer bets than the beanpole with a horrific knee injury.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Horrific knee injury is a bit much. King apparently is a gun and trains the house down when he can. Various posts if those who have seen him move are all impressed by him especially him getting the balls off the ground.
I am happy with the gamble as Paddy is done in my opinion, hopefully he puts health above money, so we are one short up forward

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 12:08pm
mad saint guy wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 1:12pm On the topic of our mindblowingly bad recruiting over the past decade or so; holy hell Connor Rozee would have been a great selection for us. But we just don't pick fit players with strong recent form. Always looking for a bargain.

Let's take the lanky FF who didn't play all year because a terrible knee injury...

Don't agree with this post. King would have pushed for top 2 selection had he played.

And the recent form / unavailability of McCartin makes King an even better choice in hindsight.

I didn't love the selection of a tall at draft time, but given our current scenario - picking a very talented forward at 4 could be a masterstroke.
That's pure speculation though. TBH I wasn't impressed with King's single good game in the TAC cup before his injury. His set shot goalkicking was terrible - I don't think he kicked one from more than 30m out. Yes he had a lot of shots but he was also a foot taller than his opponent.

We've taken a gamble on the low percentage option, much like we did with McCartin but at least Paddy had plenty of decent exposed U/18 form. Key forwards picked early in the draft have a much, much higher bust rate than mids and that is only compounded when you take into account injury/health/lack of exposed form issues.

I loved the Josh Battle selection because he had shown plenty of strong form as a junior and the main deterrent was his poor athletic testing, which was largely explained by his ankle injury during the combine. He was also taken fairly late in the draft.

With King we passed up on several elite prospects who actually played during their U/18 year and are much safer bets than the beanpole with a horrific knee injury.
Wow - surprised by this double down.

While early drafted forwards are more of a bust than mids, they are much much much better than latter drafted forwards. Franklin, Kennedy, Roughead, Riewoldt, Daniher, Hogan. In fact, it is very rare choosing an elite forward late.

Speculation is watching 1 game and making a sweeping assessment. Quite juvenile in fact. And interesting that you think a player taken at 4 wouldn't have gone earlier if healthy and a full season at U18 level under him. How was his year as a 17yo? How about as a 16yo?

And calling a ruptured ACL 'horrific' is ridiculous. Players get injured all the time and a knee is very common and fixable.

With King I don't feel like we reached. We went best player at 4. McCartin, maybe the opposite, we went best player and need. That's how i read it. They way it's transpiring, taking King could be the most inspired decision of them all and I was one wanting a mid during the 2018 draft as well.

twirlyhair
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2019 12:08pm

Awesome comment. Let's write off our young players before they have played a game. Great support! Actually I do remember someone saying something similar about rooey when he was injured in his first year.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch, who we drafted many years ago and is now at Adelaide, had a knee reco when he was 17. Hasn't missed a beat since. Many clubs overlooked Joel Selwood because they thought his knee was cooked at 18...hmm..that was a great assessment. Didn't Joe Daniher have a knee reco before he was drafted? Nick Riewoldt had cartilage issues in his knee when we drafted him. Clubs also overlooked Steve Johnson because of what was considered a serious and degenerative ankle issue. Max Gawn had a knee reco the year before he was drafted. Jake Stringer had a compound fracture of his leg before being drafted. Travis Varcoe badly broke his foot the year before being drafted. Didn't Chris Judd have two shoulder reconstructions before being drafted? Luke Hodge also had injury issues at 17. So Max King's injury doesn't necessarily spell doom and gloom.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

And two year olds don't win the Melbourne Cup. Our new coaches may have brought a more thoughtful and scientific approach to player development.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 5:48pm Not sure what you expect when this is the history of Picks 7 and 8 combos. Said it at the time, and will say it again; should've used one of the picks on an established player, and taken 7 or 8 to the draft to hedge our bets.

Here, picked out of the dustbin, is the list of combo 7/8 dating back 31 years..... OF COURSE, our recruiters know better. What a joke. 3 combos that are a pass.... and barely a pass at that.

7 Chris Lindsay North Melbourne West Torrens 1986
8 Grantley Fielke Collingwood West Adelaide 1986
7 Darren Davies Western Bulldogs North Hobart 1987
8 Darren Jones Geelong Moe 1987
7 Leon Cameron Western Bulldogs South Warrnambool 1988
8 Dion Scott Sydney Swans Devonport 1988
7 Stephen Edgar Carlton East Fremantle 1989
8 Brad Tunbridge Sydney Swans East Fremantle 1989
7 Damian Hampson Carlton Subiaco 1990
8 Paul Gow Western Bulldogs Swan Districts 1990
7 Jeremy Guard Fitzroy Claremont 1991
8 Michael Symons Essendon Subiaco 1991
7 Wayne Hernaman Richmond South Fremantle 1992
8 Paul Symmons West Coast West Perth 1992
7 Chris L. Johnson Fitzroy Northern U18 1993
8 Michael Frost St Kilda Western Bulldogs 1993
7 Tony Brown St Kilda Geelong U18 1994
8 Daniel Harford Hawthorn Northern U18 1994
7 Ben Edwards Fremantle Claremont 1995
8 Jared Crouch Sydney Swans Norwood 1995
7 Bowen Lockwood Port Adelaide Geelong U18 1996
8 Leigh Brockman Geelong Tasmania U18 1996
7 Kris Massie Carlton Dandenong U18 1997
8 Chris Tarrant Collingwood Bendigo U18 1997
7 Josh Carr Port Adelaide East Fremantle 1998
8 Jude Bolton Sydney Swans Calder U18 1998

7 Danny Roach Collingwood Tasmania U18 1999
8 Joel Corey Geelong East Perth 1999
7 Laurence Angwin Adelaide Dandenong U18 2000
8 Daniel Motlop North Melbourne North Adelaide 2000
7 David Hale North Melbourne Broadbeach 2001
8 Jimmy Bartel Geelong Geelong U18 2001

7 Andrew Mackie Geelong Glenelg 2002
8 Luke Brennan Hawthorn North Ballarat U18 2002
7 Kane Tenace Geelong Murray U18 2003
8 Raphael Clarke St Kilda St Marys (NT) 2003
7 Jordan Lewis Hawthorn Geelong U18 2004
8 John Meesen Adelaide Geelong U18 2004
7 Patrick Ryder Essendon East Fremantle 2005
8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls Richmond East Perth 2005
7 Joel Selwood Geelong Bendigo U18 2006
8 Ben Reid Collingwood Murray U18 2006

7 Rhys Palmer Fremantle East Fremantle 2007
8 Lachie Henderson Brisbane Lions Geelong U18 2007
7 Daniel Rich Brisbane Lions Subiaco 2008
8 Ty Vickery Richmond Sandringham U18 2008
7 Brad Sheppard West Coast East Fremantle 2009
8 John Butcher Port Adelaide Gippsland U18 2009
7 Josh Caddy Gold Coast Northern U18 2010
8 Dyson Heppell Essendon Gippsland U18 2010

7 Nick Haynes Greater Western Sydney Dandenong U18 2011
8 Billy Longer Brisbane Lions Northern U18 2011
7 Ollie Wines Port Adelaide Bendigo U18 2012
8 Sam Mayes Brisbane Lions North Adelaide 2012
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions Norwood 2013
8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne Werribee 2013
7 Paul Ahern Greater Western Sydney Calder U18 2014
8 Peter Wright Gold Coast Calder U18 2014
7 Jacob Hopper Greater Western Sydney North Ballarat U18 2015
8 Callum Ah Chee Gold Coast South Fremantle 2015
7 Jack Scrimshaw Gold Coast Sandringham U18 2016
8 Griffin Logue Fremantle Swan Districts 2016
Aren't you the accountant that was going to challenge the board and save the club?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2019 8:39pm
ss1986 wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2019 5:48pm Not sure what you expect when this is the history of Picks 7 and 8 combos. Said it at the time, and will say it again; should've used one of the picks on an established player, and taken 7 or 8 to the draft to hedge our bets.

Here, picked out of the dustbin, is the list of combo 7/8 dating back 31 years..... OF COURSE, our recruiters know better. What a joke. 3 combos that are a pass.... and barely a pass at that.

7 Chris Lindsay North Melbourne West Torrens 1986
8 Grantley Fielke Collingwood West Adelaide 1986
7 Darren Davies Western Bulldogs North Hobart 1987
8 Darren Jones Geelong Moe 1987
7 Leon Cameron Western Bulldogs South Warrnambool 1988
8 Dion Scott Sydney Swans Devonport 1988
7 Stephen Edgar Carlton East Fremantle 1989
8 Brad Tunbridge Sydney Swans East Fremantle 1989
7 Damian Hampson Carlton Subiaco 1990
8 Paul Gow Western Bulldogs Swan Districts 1990
7 Jeremy Guard Fitzroy Claremont 1991
8 Michael Symons Essendon Subiaco 1991
7 Wayne Hernaman Richmond South Fremantle 1992
8 Paul Symmons West Coast West Perth 1992
7 Chris L. Johnson Fitzroy Northern U18 1993
8 Michael Frost St Kilda Western Bulldogs 1993
7 Tony Brown St Kilda Geelong U18 1994
8 Daniel Harford Hawthorn Northern U18 1994
7 Ben Edwards Fremantle Claremont 1995
8 Jared Crouch Sydney Swans Norwood 1995
7 Bowen Lockwood Port Adelaide Geelong U18 1996
8 Leigh Brockman Geelong Tasmania U18 1996
7 Kris Massie Carlton Dandenong U18 1997
8 Chris Tarrant Collingwood Bendigo U18 1997
7 Josh Carr Port Adelaide East Fremantle 1998
8 Jude Bolton Sydney Swans Calder U18 1998

7 Danny Roach Collingwood Tasmania U18 1999
8 Joel Corey Geelong East Perth 1999
7 Laurence Angwin Adelaide Dandenong U18 2000
8 Daniel Motlop North Melbourne North Adelaide 2000
7 David Hale North Melbourne Broadbeach 2001
8 Jimmy Bartel Geelong Geelong U18 2001

7 Andrew Mackie Geelong Glenelg 2002
8 Luke Brennan Hawthorn North Ballarat U18 2002
7 Kane Tenace Geelong Murray U18 2003
8 Raphael Clarke St Kilda St Marys (NT) 2003
7 Jordan Lewis Hawthorn Geelong U18 2004
8 John Meesen Adelaide Geelong U18 2004
7 Patrick Ryder Essendon East Fremantle 2005
8 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls Richmond East Perth 2005
7 Joel Selwood Geelong Bendigo U18 2006
8 Ben Reid Collingwood Murray U18 2006

7 Rhys Palmer Fremantle East Fremantle 2007
8 Lachie Henderson Brisbane Lions Geelong U18 2007
7 Daniel Rich Brisbane Lions Subiaco 2008
8 Ty Vickery Richmond Sandringham U18 2008
7 Brad Sheppard West Coast East Fremantle 2009
8 John Butcher Port Adelaide Gippsland U18 2009
7 Josh Caddy Gold Coast Northern U18 2010
8 Dyson Heppell Essendon Gippsland U18 2010

7 Nick Haynes Greater Western Sydney Dandenong U18 2011
8 Billy Longer Brisbane Lions Northern U18 2011
7 Ollie Wines Port Adelaide Bendigo U18 2012
8 Sam Mayes Brisbane Lions North Adelaide 2012
7 James Aish Brisbane Lions Norwood 2013
8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne Werribee 2013
7 Paul Ahern Greater Western Sydney Calder U18 2014
8 Peter Wright Gold Coast Calder U18 2014
7 Jacob Hopper Greater Western Sydney North Ballarat U18 2015
8 Callum Ah Chee Gold Coast South Fremantle 2015
7 Jack Scrimshaw Gold Coast Sandringham U18 2016
8 Griffin Logue Fremantle Swan Districts 2016
Aren't you the accountant that was going to challenge the board and save the club?
There are more spuds on that list than i see in the produce section of Dandenong Market when i go there.

History doesn't fill me with confidence re Clark and Coffield.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
guitars4
Club Player

To quote Forrest Gump "Lifes like a box of chocolates" :wink:

Cordz2
Club Player

Goddard took about 5 years to find his feet in the AFL. Maybe we need to understand that most gun players develop into great players over time. The exceptions are the ones that have instant impact in their first year. Many of those flatline for the remainder of their career. That’s why coaches are only interested in creating an upwards trajectory of improvement as that’s all they can really control.

silverhalo
Club Player

I watched the bulk of the Sandy game today and he just looks down on confidence at the moment. The kid can play, no doubt about it, just give him time.